Install gems for another ruby

thomas.s...@9elements.com

Aug 9, 2013, 1:32:43 PM8/9/13
to babush...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

thanks Ben for creating such a crazy tool! I really enjoy it even though I'm still carefully finding my way.

I just figured out a way to install ruby gems using what babushka provides but for a different ruby than babushka was running on, by doing a fancy "modify $PATH then exec" trick (which works well, thanks to the idempotent nature of deps), then I found this: https://github.com/benhoskings/babushka/blob/master/lib/babushka/pkg_helpers/gem_helper.rb#L34

It suggests that it might be intended to do something like

Babushka.ruby.path = '/path/to/ruby/binary'

Ben, could you clarify on this?

Ben Hoskings

Aug 10, 2013, 6:23:36 AM8/10/13
to babush...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas,

Babushka.ruby (which is a Babushka::CurrentRuby) is there to provide
info on the ruby on which babushka is running. It's a read-only thing;
it's not intended to be alterable.

This might be something best achieved by deferring to a tool like
rbenv or chruby.