Fresh Debian install / setup users per Babushka

astropanic

May 25, 2012, 7:31:02 AM5/25/12
to babushka_app
Hi People,

What is the correct way to setup some users with Babushka on a shiny
new Debian box ?

Let's say I want have a user "foobar", with rvm installed.

I have only the root user on my host, and Babushka is installed.

Should I first create the foobar user manualy and run with him via
Babushka my rvm recipe ?

Or should I run babushka as root and let this tool create the user and
instal rvm for them ? (I don't want a global rvm install, only for the
foobar user)

Regards,
Wojciech

Ben Hoskings

May 31, 2012, 11:12:19 PM5/31/12
to babush...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wojciech, sorry about the delay. Been a busy week. :)

I sign in as root first in that case, and use babushka to create the user.
babushka benhoskings:'user setup for provisioning' username=ben

Then I sign in as that user and configure the account
babushka benhoskings:'user setup'

Then I'd install rvm as normal. (I'm not an rvm user though.)

When provisioning servers, I wrap this up in a dep that itself runs multiple remote babushkas. I'll write it up soon, but you could speed it up in the meantime with:

ssh root@host "babushka benhoskings:'user setup for provisioning' username=ben key='$(cat ~/.ssh/id_dsa.pub)'"
ssh ben@host "benhoskings:'user setup'"
ssh ben@host "some-other-source:'rvm installed'"

- Ben