Free yacht for boating training?

1 view

Christopher Rasch

Dec 14, 2009, 2:36:32 PM12/14/09
to ba_seasteader...@googlegroups.com
I met Tim at a party yesterday. He said that he would be happy to help
us find a free yacht/boat.

Chris

Patri Friedman

Dec 18, 2009, 12:57:38 AM12/18/09
to ba_seasteaders_sailing_club
That would be pretty cool.  Note from the article that the owner needs to pay for insurance and a marina fee.  Also, the free boats seem to be people's abandoned "project boats", which means there are usually things wrong with them.  For an experienced boat maintainer/repairer, that's probably not a big deal, but I don't think we should get an abandoned boat unless we have someone who can teach us how to fix it.

I'd be willing to chip in for insurance/marina fees, especially if the boat was docked in the south bay (RWC).

good to meet you at yesterday

here's my tale of getting and giving free yachts:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Get-a-Free-Yacht/

anytime you want one I'm likely to know of a few

tim

Christopher Rasch

Dec 18, 2009, 12:19:34 PM12/18/09
Patri Friedman wrote:
> That would be pretty cool. Note from the article that the owner needs
> to pay for insurance and a marina fee. Also, the free boats seem to
> be people's abandoned "project boats", which means there are usually
> things wrong with them. For an experienced boat maintainer/repairer,
> that's probably not a big deal, but I don't think we should get an
> abandoned boat unless we have someone who can teach us how to fix it.
>
> I'd be willing to chip in for insurance/marina fees, especially if the
> boat was docked in the south bay (RWC).

Yep, a "free" boat would incur a number of ongoing costs. And I agree
that one shouldn't get a "fixer upper" unless there's someone willing
and able to take on the responsibility of fixing and maintaining it.

Chris