Sailing lessons proposal

Skip to the first unread message

Patri Friedman

27 Oct 2008, 16:00:1827/10/2008
to ba_seasteader...@googlegroups.com

I talked to spinnaker in redwood city, they said they are open any weekend, and the 2-weekend basic keelboat class does require consecutive weekends.  There are 4 ppl to a boat, so ideally multiples of 4.  It costs $675.

I propose that we rank weekends, or list weekends that work for us in the next couple months, and see if we have 4 people.  Let's use the starting of the 2 weekends as the key date.  I am available:

Nov 29
Dec 13
Jan 3, 10, 17

UnintendedConsequences

27 Oct 2008, 16:55:0027/10/2008
to ba_seasteader...@googlegroups.com
To let us know what weekends you're available - go here -

REALLY easy to use. Just put your name and what dates you're free. Unfortunately, you can't undo it really, but you can add a comment if something doesn't work for you.

Wamr regards,
Gayle

Patri Friedman

9 Nov 2008, 17:25:4809/11/2008
to Bay Area Seasteaders Sailing Club
Reminder: if you want to take sailing lessons w/ the group, go to this
page to say what weekends you are available. It looks like January is
best.

http://www.doodle.com/5qudbrtgvqthg7gz

Also, as part of today's Hike the Geek (http://www.hikethegeek.com/
SF/), we (Chris, James, me and others) went to Shoreline Lake. It's a
little lake, with little sailboats, but for those of us who live in
the MTV area, it's way closer than anywhere else for sailing:

http://www.shorelinelake.com/aquatic/aquatic.htm

"Pedalboats, rowboats, canoes, kayaks and bicycles are available for
rental to those without qualifications. Windsurfers and sailboats are
available to qualified windsurfers and sailors"

Could be a fun place to practice. And to practice the AquaSkipper
(http://www.jumpusa.com/aquaskipper.html) :). No motorboats allowed
there.

They have group classes Feb - October. I wouldn't want to go there
for Captaining classes, the lake and boats are just too small, but for
someone who wants to crew, it might be cheaper and easier to take a
class there. I'll add it to the webpage.

On Oct 27, 12:55 pm, UnintendedConsequences
<unintendedconsequen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To let us know what weekends you're available - go here -http://www.doodle.com/5qudbrtgvqthg7gz
>
> REALLY easy to use. Just put your name and what dates you're free.
> Unfortunately, you can't undo it really, but you can add a comment if
> something doesn't work for you.
>
> Wamr regards,
> Gayle

Peter C. McCluskey

17 Nov 2008, 18:04:4917/11/2008
patri...@gmail.com (Patri Friedman) writes:
>SF/), we (Chris, James, me and others) went to Shoreline Lake. It's a
>little lake, with little sailboats, but for those of us who live in
>the MTV area, it's way closer than anywhere else for sailing:
>
>http://www.shorelinelake.com/aquatic/aquatic.htm

>They have group classes Feb - October. I wouldn't want to go there

>for Captaining classes, the lake and boats are just too small, but for
>someone who wants to crew, it might be cheaper and easier to take a
>class there. I'll add it to the webpage.

I doubt that what people would learn at Shoreline would be of much
value for crewing a 25+ foot boat. I'd suggest instead that someone
who has completed the captaining classes charter a boat for a day and
show the potential crew the basics. I don't think there's a lot that
the crew needs to know. My main concerns with an untrained crew are with
strong winds (I'd probably be comfortable taking a boat out in 10 knot
winds with only one experienced person aboard, but in 20 knot winds I'd
want a crew with a small amount of experience) and with whatever is needed
for the boats to meet and raft up (the difficulties of which depend on how
and where it's done).

Peter McCluskey | A curious aspect of the theory of evolution is that
www.bayesianinvestor.com| everybody thinks he understands it - Jacques Monod

Patri Friedman

18 Nov 2008, 18:24:5818/11/2008
to ba_seasteader...@googlegroups.com
That makes sense.

Also, I'd love to take another try at the kayaking excursion in Sausalito we were going to do after the conference, anyone else interested in that?

UnintendedConsequences

19 Nov 2008, 03:21:2519/11/2008
to ba_seasteader...@googlegroups.com
Would completely love to kayak in Sausalito! Just got back from kayaking in Vietnam around the houseboats THERE in Halong Bay. Fascinating experience of people who live on that bay and the Mekong River delta and have for centuries. We passed a lot of floating homsteads.

Love,
Gayle

Christopher Rasch

19 Nov 2008, 13:02:1419/11/2008
to ba_seasteader...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'd also like to try the Sausalito kayaking excursion again. Perhaps we
can do it as part of a seasteading social?

As far as boating on Shoreline, I agree that we probably wouldn't learn
much that would be applicable to sailing a 25 ft+ boat. (Although my
nautical skills are so rudimentary, it might be worthwhile to learn to
sail a sail board first to learn the basic principles of sailing).

Chris

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Patri Friedman <patri...@gmail.com
> <mailto:patri...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> That makes sense.
>
> Also, I'd love to take another try at the kayaking excursion in
> Sausalito we were going to do after the conference, anyone else
> interested in that?
>

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Peter C. McCluskey <p...@rahul.net
> <mailto:p...@rahul.net>> wrote:
>

> patri...@gmail.com <mailto:patri...@gmail.com> (Patri
> www.bayesianinvestor.com <http://www.bayesianinvestor.com/>|

Peter C. McCluskey

19 Nov 2008, 14:01:1919/11/2008
cra...@gmail.com (Christopher Rasch) writes:
>nautical skills are so rudimentary, it might be worthwhile to learn to
>sail a sail board first to learn the basic principles of sailing).

The hardest parts of learning to windsurf have very little relationship
to the skills needed for larger boats. Windsurfing may be the most fun
way to learn something about sailing, but I recommend it only if you're
willing to devote a fair amount of time to it.

Peter McCluskey | A curious aspect of the theory of evolution is that

www.bayesianinvestor.com| everybody thinks he understands it - Jacques Monod

Patri Friedman

19 Nov 2008, 14:16:2419/11/2008
to ba_seasteader...@googlegroups.com

Our december social is going to be in second life, kayaking might complement that nicely.  If ppl don't mind the cold :).  Does dec work for y'all?

If so, can someone make one of those web polls for which weekend?  We can email the meetup group.

On Nov 19, 2008 10:04 AM, "Christopher Rasch" <cra...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'd also like to try the Sausalito kayaking excursion again.  Perhaps we
can do it as part of a seasteading social?

As far as boating on Shoreline, I agree that we probably wouldn't learn
much that would be applicable to sailing a 25 ft+ boat.  (Although my
nautical skills are so rudimentary, it might be worthwhile to learn to
sail a sail board first to learn the basic principles of sailing).

Chris

> > > On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Patri Friedman <patri...@gmail.com

> <mailto:patri...@gmail.com>> wrote: > > That makes sense. > > Also, I'd love to take ano...

>     <mailto:p...@rahul.net>> wrote:
>

>          patri...@gmail.com <mailto:patri...@gmail.com> (Patri

> Friedman) writes: > >SF/), we (Chris, James, me and others) went to Shoreline > ...

>         www.bayesianinvestor.com <http://www.bayesianinvestor.com/>|

> everybody thinks he understands it - Jacques Monod > > > > > > > --~--~---------~--~...

UnintendedConsequences

19 Nov 2008, 15:23:4819/11/2008
to ba_seasteader...@googlegroups.com
I can definitely make a web poll.
What's this about a 2nd life December social? :)

UnintendedConsequences

19 Nov 2008, 15:28:0919/11/2008
to ba_seasteader...@googlegroups.com

Link to poll to Seasteading Kayaking trip. Who will email the meetup group?

Patri Friedman

19 Nov 2008, 15:39:0019/11/2008
to ba_seasteader...@googlegroups.com

We haven't picked a date yet, but that's the plan.  A few ppl suggested it, and this way we can connect with ppl who are far away.  Also, pple tend to be busy around holidays so it seems like a good time to try something new.  If it works out, we might have it be a regular monthly thing - sort of a virtual chapter.

I forget if I said this, but we should send the web poll to the meetup group too.

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Patri Friedman <patri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Our december social is going to be in second life, kayaking might complement that nicely.  If pp...

Patri Friedman

19 Nov 2008, 16:07:3819/11/2008
to ba_seasteader...@googlegroups.com
Sent.