Tim May

jcdill...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2018, 2:35:05 PM12/16/18

bcjea...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2018, 7:27:18 PM12/16/18
Thanks, JC...I was just coming here to post the same.

Jeannie

Jeff Liebermann

Dec 16, 2018, 9:17:00 PM12/16/18
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 11:35:05 -0800 (PST), jcdill...@gmail.com
wrote:

>https://coinrivet.com/rest-in-peace-timothy-c-may-one-of-bitcoins-godfathers/
>https://www.facebook.com/680491705/posts/10155498914786706/

Thanks for letting us know. I don't know what I'm going to do for
entertainment value now.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Julian Macassey

Dec 16, 2018, 9:26:08 PM12/16/18
Here is a picture of Tim May as a UCSB undergrad with Richard
Feynman.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n2t9u8nxv768v36/tim%2Bfeynmann.jpg?dl=0

--
"When I was little, I didn't know I was going to grow up in the
Soviet Union. But here we are." April Daniels, April 2015

BCFD36

Dec 22, 2018, 6:51:54 PM12/22/18
I saw that. He took a real dislike to me, and it was never clear why. It
doesn't really matter now.

--
Dave Scruggs
Captain, Boulder Creek Fire (Retired)

Julian Macassey

Dec 23, 2018, 3:54:13 PM12/23/18
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 11:35:05 -0800 (PST), jcdill...@gmail.com
Here is the NY Times obit for Tim May.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/21/obituaries/timothy-c-may-dead.html

--
It is through disobedience that progress has been made, through
disobedience and through rebellion. - Oscar Wilde

BCFD36

Dec 26, 2018, 6:36:20 PM12/26/18
On 12/24/18 16:58, pban...@gmail.com wrote:
> I worked at Intel for 30 years. Yesterday was the 81st birthday of my mentor, Gene Meieran. So, when I got an email from him, the last thing I thought it would say is, "Tim May is dead".
>
> Gene was Tim's boss for most of Tim's career at Intel. The NYT obit is very accurate about Tim's career, he was an absolutely brilliant engineer. His work on the cause and fix for soft errors in DRAM's (along with Murray Woods and Gene) was life-saving for the industry. His work on voltage-contrast microscopy created a fantastic tool for the debugging of chip designs.
>
> And, Tim could also be a total asshole, which ultimately led to his dismissal from Intel (he called it "retirement"). His crypto work outside of Intel will ultimately be what he's remembered for.
>
> I haven't posted here in nearly a decade and will likely never post here again, but bamf was one of Tim's favorite stomping grounds (literally), so it seems like the appropriate place to say: he'll be missed.

If you care to post again, what made you look at the newsgroup. Any post
here is rare any more.
Message has been deleted

BCFD36

Dec 27, 2018, 6:39:45 PM12/27/18
On 12/27/18 15:12, pban...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 4:36:20 PM UTC-7, BCFD36 wrote:
>
>> If you care to post again, what made you look at the newsgroup. Any post
>> here is rare any more.
>
> I used to live in the south bay, I used to post to bamf semi-regularly. After Tim left Intel, it was about the only way we stayed in touch, other than an occasional email.
>
> A few dozen of us current and ex-Intel people who worked with Tim have been sharing memories in an email thread, the details of which I will not post here. Some of the anecdotes are funny, some describe his accomplishments, and an unfortunate number describe his bigotry, racism, and hatred. I will share that Tim's boss for most of the time he was at Intel was Jewish, and knew very well what kind of an anti-Semite Tim was. His boss just viewed it as a somewhat manageable form of insanity.
>
> Nobody I know admired the bigotry and racism shown by Tim, it was abhorrent and ultimately was one of the factors that led to his dismissal. Our more positive memories of Tim were of his intellect, his irascibility, and his pranks and humor. Much of the work he did at Intel, and later when he worked on the social implications of emerging internet technologies, was simply brilliant work. He's no different from others, such as William Shockley, who developed the transistor (essentially making our conversation here possible) but was a nut-job outside of his field of expertise.
>
> IMO, his dark side was a two-edged sword, as it freed him to do his work on cryptoanarchy, but prevented him from continuing and expanding the work he did at Intel, which was a loss for the company, the world in general, and mostly for Tim.

Thanks. I don't remember seeing your user name on BAMF. Is there
something else I might remember you by?

--
Dave Scruggs
Captain, Boulder Creek Fire (Retired)
Senior Software Engineer - NASA Ames Research Center (Not Retired)

me

Dec 28, 2018, 10:46:35 PM12/28/18
On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 3:12:15 PM UTC-8, pban...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 4:36:20 PM UTC-7, BCFD36 wrote:
>
> > If you care to post again, what made you look at the newsgroup. Any post
> > here is rare any more.
>
> I used to live in the south bay, I used to post to bamf semi-regularly. After Tim left Intel, it was about the only way we stayed in touch, other than an occasional email.
>
> A few dozen of us current and ex-Intel people who worked with Tim have been sharing memories in an email thread, the details of which I will not post here. Some of the anecdotes are funny, some describe his accomplishments, and an unfortunate number describe his bigotry, racism, and hatred. I will share that Tim's boss for most of the time he was at Intel was Jewish, and knew very well what kind of an anti-Semite Tim was. His boss just viewed it as a somewhat manageable form of insanity.
>
> Nobody I know admired the bigotry and racism shown by Tim, it was abhorrent and ultimately was one of the factors that led to his dismissal. Our more positive memories of Tim were of his intellect, his irascibility, and his pranks and humor. Much of the work he did at Intel, and later when he worked on the social implications of emerging internet technologies, was simply brilliant work. He's no different from others, such as William Shockley, who developed the transistor (essentially making our conversation here possible) but was a nut-job outside of his field of expertise.
>
> IMO, his dark side was a two-edged sword, as it freed him to do his work on cryptoanarchy, but prevented him from continuing and expanding the work he did at Intel, which was a loss for the company, the world in general, and mostly for Tim.

I'd guess there was a big difference between Shockley and Tim. Shockley's mother attended Stanford when David Starr Jordan was president. Jordan was a bigshot Galtonian racist. Racism was scientific and fashionable back then and well into the 1930's. Read Jordan's "Blood of the Nation" and "War of the Breed". Jordan led that WW1 German friendship society because it was thought the best people died in wars. Then came the Stanford-Binet intelligence tests and Terman's racism in the growing psychology intellectual movement. So Shockley's mother brought him up. He liked playing with his operations research to keep himself sharp, but toying with unscientific racism, reading crime rates by race. So what? Shockley was later exploited by racist media because of his Nobel prize in Physics. He never got the Nobel Prize in Sociology, so people must have had him confused.

I don't know what intellectual tradition Tim grew up in, but it couldn't have been that, unless his parents took a college class in 1930's anthropology.

wb6...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2019, 12:33:15 PM1/26/19
On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 6:17:00 PM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 11:35:05 -0800 (PST), jcd....st....s@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
> >https://coinrivet.com/rest-in-peace-timothy-c-may-one-of-bitcoins-godfathers/
> >https://www.facebook.com/680491705/posts/10155498914786706/
>
> Thanks for letting us know. I don't know what I'm going to do for
> entertainment value now.
>
> --
> Jeff Liebermann jefu....zio.com
> Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
> Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

I always admired your grace under his verbal assaults.
He always puzzled me in that way.
I, of course, would be more than happy to continue the tradtion and abuse you all you like, should you feel the need.

What fallout are you getting--if any--from the encampment along the Mighty San Lorenzo behind Ross?

pH

Jeff Liebermann

Jan 26, 2019, 1:05:09 PM1/26/19
On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 09:33:14 -0800 (PST), wb6...@gmail.com wrote:

>On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 6:17:00 PM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>> On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 11:35:05 -0800 (PST), jcd....st....s@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>>
>> >https://coinrivet.com/rest-in-peace-timothy-c-may-one-of-bitcoins-godfathers/
>> >https://www.facebook.com/680491705/posts/10155498914786706/
>>
>> Thanks for letting us know. I don't know what I'm going to do for
>> entertainment value now.

>I always admired your grace under his verbal assaults.

I think you mean written assaults. Tim has never assaulted me
verbally.

>He always puzzled me in that way.
>I, of course, would be more than happy to continue the tradtion
>and abuse you all you like, should you feel the need.

No need. I'm not a masochist. I'm mostly in read-only mode while I
recover from my latest medical problems. I'll need another week or
two, followed by a vacation of sorts. It may take a little longer to
recover from the demise of Home Power Magazine.

>What fallout are you getting--if any--from the encampment
>along the Mighty San Lorenzo behind Ross?

I'm still planning to close my office and move away from what has
become a serious problem for me. I'm not sure exactly when, how, or
where. With the number of homeless hanging around the area, I can't
convince customers to visit my office. I'm also getting tired of
cleaning up their mess and dealing with their vandalism.

"Santa Cruz receives $10 million in funding to address homelessness"
<https://www.ksbw.com/article/santa-cruz-receives-dollar10-million-in-funding-to-address-homelessness/25911209>
As Tim May may have said:
"Feed the pigeons and what do you get? More pigeons".

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com

BCFD36

Jan 26, 2019, 2:45:55 PM1/26/19
On 1/26/19 10:05, Jeff Liebermann wrote:> On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 09:33:14
"Feed the birds and what do you get? Fat birds!" - The head banker in
the 1960s version of Mary Poppins.

--
Dave Scruggs
Captain, Boulder Creek Fire (Retired)
Sr. Software Engineer - Stellar Solutions

wb6...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2019, 11:05:00 PM1/26/19
On Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 10:05:09 AM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 09:33:14 -0800 (PST), wcom wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 6:17:00 PM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> >> Thanks for letting us know. I don't know what I'm going to do for
> >> entertainment value now.
>
> >I always admired your grace under his verbal assaults.
>
> I think you mean written assaults. Tim has never assaulted me
> verbally.

Oops, you're right. I hate it when people show off their written comprehension skills.

> >He always puzzled me in that way.
> >I, of course, would be more than happy to continue the tradtion
> >and abuse you all you like, should you feel the need.
>
> No need. I'm not a masochist. I'm mostly in read-only mode while I
> recover from my latest medical problems. I'll need another week or
> two, followed by a vacation of sorts. It may take a little longer to
> recover from the demise of Home Power Magazine.

Uh-oh! Nothing serious, I hope. You've had your share of yucky procedures.
I'm still sad about Home Power. I hope that someone will occupy Funky Mountain Institute. It would be a shame to see it decay back to the earth.

Maybe it can be a destination pilgrimage like the "Living the Good Life" couple from the '60's whose name I forget. Their 2nd house, I think, appeared in an HP article one time....ah! the Nearings!

> >What fallout are you getting--if any--from the encampment
> >along the Mighty San Lorenzo behind Ross?
>
> I'm still planning to close my office and move away from what has
> become a serious problem for me. I'm not sure exactly when, how, or
> where. With the number of homeless hanging around the area, I can't
> convince customers to visit my office. I'm also getting tired of
> cleaning up their mess and dealing with their vandalism.

Sigh. Are you listening, City of Santa Cruz? Your tax dollars are fleeing while Rome burns and you keep playing your fiddles.

There's supposed to be some sort of computer museum up in Boulder Creek (maybe a 'was' by now). You'd be a great curator for that. Kids these days have no idea what '8 bits' means.
(I have grudgingly conceded that in some cases that 64K might not be enough memory.)

> "Santa Cruz receives $10 million in funding to address homelessness"
> <https://www.ksbw.com/article/santa-cruz-receives-dollar10-million-in-funding-to-address-homelessness/25911209>
> As Tim May may have said:
> "Feed the pigeons and what do you get? More pigeons".
>
> --
> Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
> Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
> Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

pH

wb6...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2019, 11:44:35 PM1/28/19
Tim May's demise has me thinking back....who else has shuffled off the ba.mountain-folk mortal coil?

o geoff "horn of death" miller
o glenn appleby
o Lenore ??last name??
...didn't glenn's wife also pass away? I forget.

pH

Julian Macassey

Jan 29, 2019, 8:28:58 AM1/29/19
On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 20:44:34 -0800 (PST), wb6...@gmail.com <wb6...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tim May's demise has me thinking back....who else has shuffled off the ba.mountain-folk mortal coil?
>
> o geoff "horn of death" miller
> o glenn appleby
> o Lenore ??last name??
Lenore Levine

> ...didn't glenn's wife also pass away? I forget.

I believe she did.

--
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell

wb6...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2019, 10:24:53 PM2/14/19
On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 5:28:58 AM UTC-8, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 20:44:34 -0800 (PST), w.com> wrote:
> > Tim May's demise has me thinking back....who else has shuffled off the ba.mountain-folk mortal coil?
> >
> > o geoff "horn of death" miller
> > o glenn appleby
> > o Lenore ??last name??
> Lenore Levine

Ah! That's it. Thank-you for the reminder.
pH