News from electricbike.com (if you like bikes)

wb6...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2019, 11:21:19 PM1/26/19
A new Bafang offering is shown on the homepage as well as an article about
making your own "resistance soldering unit".
What the heck is that, Jeff?

https://www.electricbike.com/

pH

Jeff Liebermann

Jan 26, 2019, 11:48:36 PM1/26/19
It's a spot welder for building battery packs for your eBike:
<https://www.electricbike.com/resistance-soldering-unit/>
Soldering overheats and kills the LiIon cells. While butchering a
microwave oven transformer is the most common way to build such high
current spot welders, there are also capacitor discharge, and high
discharge LiPo battery powered spot welders. I prefer the battery
powered flavor:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceos88VO6p4>

Incidentally, there are people pushing do it yourself Tesla PowerWall
clones. It's fun to watch them repeat every mistake made by the eBike
and flashlight groups.
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hejOT7NF72E>
For such projects, a battery tab spot welder and production line are a
necessity.
--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

wb6...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2019, 7:06:27 PM1/27/19
On Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 8:48:36 PM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Ah, thanks.
I would say not worth it for most people...
pH

Jeff Liebermann

Jan 27, 2019, 7:50:35 PM1/27/19
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 16:06:27 -0800 (PST), wb6...@gmail.com wrote:

>Ah, thanks.
>I would say not worth it for most people...
>pH

Yep, especially in the various Peoples Republics around Monterey Bay,
where electric rates are essentially flat rate with no discount for
using off-peak power unless you sign up for the PV or EV plan.
<https://www.mbcommunitypower.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/MBCP-Residential-Rates-v5.3.pdf>
<https://www.mbcommunitypower.org/understanding-your-residential-bill/>
You probably have the E-1 rate, which is currently $0.10780/kw-hr at
any time of day, during any season, and without any usage tiers. I'm
having a difficult time understanding why MBCP would do that, so it
needs to be double checked.

Hint: Electric Morris Minor:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrb54Qng7hg>
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdcT0LH_8HY>
Got a spare Chevy Volt? Use it to convert a Morris Minor 1000:
<http://itsachevyvolt.com/would-you-guess-this-classic-car-is-an-electric-vehicle/>
A mixed bag of others:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=electric+morris+minor&tbm=isch>
If you're into music, it's called an e-Minor.

wb6...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2019, 11:36:57 PM1/28/19
On Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 4:50:35 PM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 16:06:27 -0800 (PST), wb...ail.com wrote:
>
> >Ah, thanks.
> >I would say not worth it for most people...
> >pH
>
> Yep, especially in the various Peoples Republics around Monterey Bay,
> where electric rates are essentially flat rate with no discount for
> using off-peak power unless you sign up for the PV or EV plan.
> <https://www.mbcommunitypower.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/MBCP-Residential-Rates-v5.3.pdf>
> <https://www.mbcommunitypower.org/understanding-your-residential-bill/>
> You probably have the E-1 rate, which is currently $0.10780/kw-hr at
> any time of day, during any season, and without any usage tiers. I'm
> having a difficult time understanding why MBCP would do that, so it
> needs to be double checked.

I was immediately annoyed by the prospect of being auto-enrolled into a billing relationship w/ an unknown and so opted out.
These "power grab" groups have been spreading like wildfire, lately. Kind of like:
o Community Foundation of [fill in the blank] County and...
o Land Trust of [fill in the blank County/region in sparsely settled areas] and...
o Fire Safe Council of [fill in the blank] County (don't we elect a fire marshall who can handle this sort of thing?)

Anyway, I'm out, but I have taken the liberty of starting "MonteryBay-ba.mountain-folk". You are all already auto-enrolled and need to nothing. A modest monthly fee will be garnered from your wallet, but don't worry, everything will all be the same and you don't have to do anything!

> Hint: Electric Morris Minor:
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrb54Qng7hg>
Wow, this was a Morris Minor MM--the precursor to the Morris Minor 1000.
(front turn signals in the grill and split window are tipoffs). But the rear tail-lights looked like later model Morrris 1000 size. The proper MM taillights would have been itty-bitty (a science term) rectangular glass thingies.
Of course people who put V-8's into their Morris should be shot or at least an extended period of slow torture.....I guess I can handle the electric conversions okay if given some time to adjust w/ some smelling salts handy etcetera...maybe a strong whiskey.

(The 70+ mile range the article reported is not too shabby. Let's hear it for Lithium batteries....who would'a thunk? Wonder what the next breakthrough technology might be.)

> A mixed bag of others:
> <https://www.google.com/search?q=electric+morris+minor&tbm=isch>
> If you're into music, it's called an e-Minor.
Ouch!
pH

> --
> Jeff Liebermann jef

uzio.com
> Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
> Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

P.S.: Don't you worry about the spamming hordes descending upon you by putting your email out there in plain text?