Windstorm

BCFD36

Apr 5, 2023, 2:30:35 PM4/5/23
Did everyone survive the wind storm more or less intact?

--
Dave Scruggs
Captain, Boulder Creek Fire (Retired)

pH

Apr 5, 2023, 5:31:34 PM4/5/23
On 2023-04-05, BCFD36 <bcf...@cruzio.com> wrote:
> Did everyone survive the wind storm more or less intact?

Hi, Capt.

Aptos hills here adjacent to Nisene Marks (and next to it, too).

The previous windstorm found a 2-2-1/4 inch (I just used a ruler to
guesstimate) dead Redwood branch hit butt first on our roof and punch a
perfect hole through the shingles and plywood.

I'm glad I climbed up to check it out before the ensuing rain.

I have aluminum flashing ("shingles") and mastic goop--one brand being
"Black Jack". I scooted in two shingles and gooped it up well. There has
been no leakage since.

This last one--yesterday or day before?--I was in the chicken run and heard
a "swoosh". A large widow maker was there where it had missed the roof,
deck coop fencing to poke through a 6x6" opening and plant itself there butt
first. I had to use a sawzall (is that a tm?) to cut it up before I could
remove it as it extended about 12 feet up above the roof.

Hope everyone else fared okay. My little brother is in SW Missouri and
there was twister activity to the east of him...no word as yet but I hope
he's fine.

Other stories?

Wait a minnit...this is Usenet...I have to cuss and swear and call everyone
names...say something I disagree with, Capt, quick! I want to fit in!

pH in Aptos

BCFD36

Apr 6, 2023, 5:58:57 PM4/6/23
Something to disagree with. Hmmmm. All of the past 5 presidents have
been fine, upstanding, honorable men.

Jeff Liebermann

Apr 7, 2023, 8:16:35 PM4/7/23
On Wed, 5 Apr 2023 11:30:33 -0700, BCFD36 <bcf...@cruzio.com> wrote:

>Did everyone survive the wind storm more or less intact?

I was lucky. My house is on a hill with the ridge about 200ft above
me. The ridge is towards the South-East, which is from where the wind
usually blows. The tops of the trees were swinging around violently
and making ominous noises, but at ground level, hardly any wind at
all. A few branches and tree debris on the ground.

However, one neighbor didn't do so well:
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/qaqM1Bd2hMG6X9Si9>
They were protected from the wind by the same ridge line to the S-E,
but it looks like the tree roots may have been weak. With the wind
from the S-E, I would have expected the trees to fall towards the
North-West. Instead, they fell towards the East. Therefore, the wind
did not blow over the trees but rather whipped them around until the
root system failed and the supporting ground crumbled.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

BCFD36

Apr 8, 2023, 2:19:38 PM4/8/23
On 4/7/23 17:16, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Apr 2023 11:30:33 -0700, BCFD36 <bcf...@cruzio.com> wrote:
>
>> Did everyone survive the wind storm more or less intact?
>
> I was lucky. My house is on a hill with the ridge about 200ft above
> me. The ridge is towards the South-East, which is from where the wind
> usually blows. The tops of the trees were swinging around violently
> and making ominous noises, but at ground level, hardly any wind at
> all. A few branches and tree debris on the ground.
>
> However, one neighbor didn't do so well:
> <https://photos.app.goo.gl/qaqM1Bd2hMG6X9Si9>
> They were protected from the wind by the same ridge line to the S-E,
> but it looks like the tree roots may have been weak. With the wind
> from the S-E, I would have expected the trees to fall towards the
> North-West. Instead, they fell towards the East. Therefore, the wind
> did not blow over the trees but rather whipped them around until the
> root system failed and the supporting ground crumbled.

The ones that came down in my neighborhood all broke, this time. That is
a sound I don't like.

There was a very interesting clip of the Master's yesterday. 2 or 3
large pines came down on the 17th hole after a large gust of wind. It
looked to me like they pulled up out of the ground. How no one was
killed is beyond me.

pH

Apr 8, 2023, 8:41:28 PM4/8/23
On 2023-04-08, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Apr 2023 11:30:33 -0700, BCFD36 <bcf...@cruzio.com> wrote:
>
>>Did everyone survive the wind storm more or less intact?
>
> I was lucky. My house is on a hill with the ridge about 200ft above
> me. The ridge is towards the South-East, which is from where the wind
> usually blows. The tops of the trees were swinging around violently
> and making ominous noises, but at ground level, hardly any wind at
> all. A few branches and tree debris on the ground.
>
> However, one neighbor didn't do so well:
><https://photos.app.goo.gl/qaqM1Bd2hMG6X9Si9>

Ouch! Were those fir trees? Did you see any retired Boulder Creek fire
captiains out there before the trees happened to fall?

> They were protected from the wind by the same ridge line to the S-E,
> but it looks like the tree roots may have been weak. With the wind
> from the S-E, I would have expected the trees to fall towards the
> North-West. Instead, they fell towards the East. Therefore, the wind
> did not blow over the trees but rather whipped them around until the
> root system failed and the supporting ground crumbled.

The oak trees which have been falling around here recently have very
diminished root balls, my wife says, so maybe there is root rot out and
about.

pH in Aptos