a random memory of people in Boulder Creek hating Nicolas Cage

richtop

Oct 10, 2023, 6:02:39 PM10/10/23
I lived in Boulder Creek in the mid 1990’s for a few years and in Ben
Lomond for 20, or so, until I moved out of state. I used to lurk in this
group on and off since pretty much form around ’95 to maybe 2014. I very
seldom posted.

Anyway, I recently had a random memory of people in Boulder Creek hating
Nicolas Cage. Does anyone in this group remember anything about that? If
so, way did people hate him so?

-many thanks

Julian Macassey

Oct 13, 2023, 7:16:20 AM10/13/23
On Tue, 10 Oct 2023 22:02:37 -0000 (UTC), richtop
<rpr...@scilaser.com> wrote:

> Anyway, I recently had a random memory of people in Boulder
> Creek hating Nicolas Cage. Does anyone in this group
> remember anything about that? If so, way did people hate
> him so?

He is not very smart, he married Elvis Presley's
daughter because he is obsessed with Elvis Presley.

He has trouble holding on to his money.

He gets work because Francis Ford Fairlane Coppola is
his uncle.

He can't act.

--
The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with faith to
fight for it. - Aneurin Bevan

pH

Oct 14, 2023, 2:23:10 PM10/14/23
I sure don't remember that.

I remember Glen Appleby posting various comments, Geoff Miller hated anybody
who drove slower than him or impeded him in any way.

Tim May used to criticize Jewish people, either just for fun to generate
conversation.

I don't recall Capt. Scruggs mentioning Nick Cage.

Encyclopedic knowledge Jeff Liebermann does not seem to hate anyone.

That Pureheart guy posts once in awhile. He's a harmless tinfoil hat, it
seems.

Lenore passed away, I don't remember if she hated anyone.

Jeff can proabably find a way to call up those threads, though.

Pureheart in Aptos

richtop

Oct 15, 2023, 12:43:26 AM10/15/23
On Sat, 14 Oct 2023 18:23:08 -0000 (UTC), pH wrote:

>> [quoted text muted

I agree with Julian about Cage in general. This is just a vague memory
specific to Boulder Creek. I remember hearing something about Cage driving
crazy in a VERY expensive convertible. Knowing the folks I met at that
time in Boulder Creek the prevailing attitude was “Well, you’ll never make
any friends up here driving a car like that…” It may have been that or
something to do with his throwing a party and not inviting any of the
locals. I simply cannot remember…

I do remember well the Geoff Miller rants about drivers being too slow. My
best remembered was his saying that it was not the problem of the one
driver going too slow, but rather that the guy behind the slow one would
not pull over and give Geoff a chance at the guy. I am pretty sure I had
him behind me once or twice.

As I said, this is just a vague memory.

Julian Macassey

Oct 15, 2023, 7:52:22 AM10/15/23
On Sun, 15 Oct 2023 04:43:24 -0000 (UTC), richtop
<rpr...@scilaser.com> wrote:

> I do remember well the Geoff Miller rants about drivers being
> too slow. My best remembered was his saying that it was not the
> problem of the one driver going too slow, but rather that the
> guy behind the slow one would not pull over and give Geoff a
> chance at the guy.

With the "Nazi horn of death" no doubt.

> I am pretty sure I had him behind me once or twice.

You may well have.

> As I said, this is just a vague memory.

Jeff Liebermann

Oct 18, 2023, 12:01:57 PM10/18/23
<rpr...@scilaser.com> wrote:

>Anyway, I recently had a random memory of people in Boulder Creek hating
>Nicolas Cage. Does anyone in this group remember anything about that? If
>so, way did people hate him so?

I don't recall any discussion in ba.mountain-folk mentioning Nicolas
Cage. Also, nothing found in Google Groups:
<https://groups.google.com/g/ba.mountain-folk/search?q=Nicolas+Cage>
There are 6,235 messages, which seems rather low. I don't know how
far back in time the Google Groups archive extends.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

BCFD36

Oct 19, 2023, 2:06:27 PM10/19/23
I have no memory of any discussion of Nicolas Cage ever in BAMF. Or with
any of my neighbors or friends here in town. Or ever with anyone.

Not one of my favorite actors, strange guy, cannot manage money. Could
be a nice guy, but I've never heard anything about him.

--
Dave Scruggs
Captain, Boulder Creek Fire (Retired)

pH

Oct 20, 2023, 6:16:34 PM10/20/23
Did you ever have the privilege of experiencing Geoff's much vaunted (or
notorious) "horn of death?"

I have had dealings with others who feel that driving at whatever speed they
like is their birthright. Invariably, the speed they like is north of the
speed limit....they never seem to want to drive *slower* than same. Hmm.
Of course, my sample size is pretty small.

pH in Aptos

Tim May was a pretty strong ranter, too.

BCFD36

Oct 21, 2023, 2:46:28 PM10/21/23
On 10/20/23 15:16, pH wrote:

>> I agree with Julian about Cage in general. This is just a vague memory
>> specific to Boulder Creek. I remember hearing something about Cage driving
>> crazy in a VERY expensive convertible. Knowing the folks I met at that
>> time in Boulder Creek the prevailing attitude was “Well, you’ll never make
>> any friends up here driving a car like that…” It may have been that or
>> something to do with his throwing a party and not inviting any of the
>> locals. I simply cannot remember…
>>
>> I do remember well the Geoff Miller rants about drivers being too slow. My
>> best remembered was his saying that it was not the problem of the one
>> driver going too slow, but rather that the guy behind the slow one would
>> not pull over and give Geoff a chance at the guy. I am pretty sure I had
>> him behind me once or twice.
>
> Did you ever have the privilege of experiencing Geoff's much vaunted (or
> notorious) "horn of death?"

I don't think I did, but I am pretty sure my wife did. Some asshole
tailgating her on Bear Creek Road, honking, flashing headlights. This
prior to anywhere to pull over. And Mr. Miller didn't seem to get the
concept of there being spots that were NOT suitable for pulling in to.

Somehow, I managed to piss off a few people in the group: Geoff, Tim
May, and Glen Appleby. They actively didn't like me. Probably more.

Chris Miller (Geoff's brother) on the other hand, is a great guy. At
least he didn't hate me.

--
Dave Scruggs
Captain, Boulder Creek Fire (Retired)
Sr. Software Engineer (Retired, mostly)
Grandfather and Husband (Still active)

richtop

Oct 22, 2023, 2:11:12 AM10/22/23
I do not recall Nicolas Cage mentioned as such in this newsgroup. It is
just that I remember some people talking about him. I was hoping that
someone, anyone, would recall this. It may have been idle gossip, but as I
say, it’s a vague memory.

I drove Highway 9 from Boulder Creek, down Redwood Gulch, to Stevens
Canyon Rd, on to Foothill, and to Grant into Mt View, where I worked. I
recall getting a ticket for blowing through some red light where the
houses started somewhere on Stevens Creek. I also remember going down 9
and being tailgated by someone with a loud horn and flashing headlights. I
was behind a few cars, all going so slow. So I was obviously the A-hole
who would not pull over so the guy behind me could take a shot at him…

I drove 9 for quite a few years until I moved to Ben Lomond. From there it
was faster to jump onto Highway 17 and get caught up in all that mess.
Anyway, thank you all for responding.

pH

Oct 22, 2023, 8:12:30 PM10/22/23
Hard to believe...*everybody* loves firemen. Especially if their house is
on fire.

I take that back...we had one chief come up to Capitola from Down South who
was a real prize. He did not last long.

My daughter Gretta felt that the Felton firehouse was haunted by a deceased
chief. Footsteps on the 2nd floor when no one's there, siren going off in
the engine w/ no one in it and things like that.

pH in Aptos

pH

Oct 22, 2023, 8:15:43 PM10/22/23
I once had someone come up behind me and repeatedly flash his lights while I
was cruising along on HIGHWAY ONE(!) at the limit in the right lane.

There was little traffic and nothing to impede his changing lanes and
passing me.

He pulled off on the Soquel Drive exit about a 1/2 mile later.

Never could figure that one out. Of course I inspected my car at my
destination in case he was trying to be helpful about some fault. Did not
see anything and all my lights worked fine. Oh well.

pH in Aptos

John

Oct 23, 2023, 10:25:01 AM10/23/23
BCFD36 <bcf...@cruzio.com> writes:
> I don't think I did, but I am pretty sure my wife did. Some asshole
> tailgating her on Bear Creek Road, honking, flashing headlights. This
> prior to anywhere to pull over. And Mr. Miller didn't seem to get the
> concept of there being spots that were NOT suitable for pulling in to.

I think there's something wrong with my car because when I encounter
somebody like that, my speed just starts to slowly drop until I've lost
at least 20 mph. Gets better as soon as they pass.

Really weird, maybe the flashing headlight circuits so close behind me
are setting up electrical interference in my throttle controller...

john