319 Terra-baud

pH

Jul 24, 2021, 11:33:09 PM7/24/21
I say baud instead of bits per second because I'm an old curmudgeon.

I heard on the Dr. Future show (Tuesdays noon to 14:00) that some
researchers--forget where--have successfully performed a sustained data
transfer of 319 TERRA-baud over a distance of 3,000 kilometers.

They used some sort of special four-core fiber optic and fancy lasers,
frequencies, et. al. ...but what an achievement.

So where is Jeff L. when you need him.

How tall a stack of paper would 319 terrabits be, Jeff?

Lessee, divide by 8 to get bytes, 3.5K characters of single space type per a
written page (roughly), a ream of paper is about 2" tall (500 sheets).

Is it "To the moon, Alice", tall?

pH