Large internet outage on Spectrum Cable.

roy

Aug 25, 2019, 11:41:22 PM8/25/19
Spectrum Cable seems to be down at least statewide. Their fiber
Internet, voice and TV are all reported as working.

poldy

Aug 26, 2019, 4:28:58 PM8/26/19
On 8/25/19 8:41 PM, roy wrote:
> Spectrum Cable seems to be down at least statewide.  Their fiber
> Internet, voice and TV are all reported as working.

I didn't know Spectrum was even in the Bay Area.

Went to their site, put in my address and it directed to Comcast. :(

Roy

Aug 26, 2019, 11:17:18 PM8/26/19
Spectrum is in Morgan Hill, Gilroy, Hollister, and Napa. They were all
acquisitions of other cable companies like Falcon in 1999

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/charter-to-acquire-falcon-cable

poldy

Aug 27, 2019, 7:52:30 PM8/27/19
Hmm, so parts of the Bay Area Comcast couldn't take over or maybe didn't
care about enough.

Roy

Aug 28, 2019, 9:32:08 AM8/28/19
That is certainly one theory.

Its more probable that Comcast just didn't want to pay the money.
Spectrum (nee Charter) paid $3.6 Billion for Falcon in 1999 making it
the "fourth-largest cable operator in the U.S."

There are still a number of cable companies in the US. Here in Prescott
Arizona, I am on Sparklight (nee CableOne).

Current rankings based on subscribers seem to be

1. Comcast
2. Spectrum
3. Cox
4. Optimum (Allice)