Which online forum most nearly replaces ba.internet?

Glenn Geller

Apr 21, 2018, 2:58:38 PM4/21/18
Activity on this Usenet group has slowed to a
microtrickle.

Which online forum anywhere most nearly replaces
ba.internet?

And the answer might be, "There is none."

nooz...@sbcglobal.net

Apr 21, 2018, 3:31:47 PM4/21/18
Someone could start a Groups.io group. Yahoo Groups is dying as Verizon doesn't seem to want it around. They seem to keep shutting access down every couple of days and a lot people don't like the Oath terms and conditions.

Julian Macassey

Apr 22, 2018, 3:34:43 PM4/22/18
There is one, we are just depressed about what the net
has become.

--
“I think law enforcement should be difficult. And it should actually be
possible to break the law.” - Moxie Marlinspike, March RSA Conf' 2016

nooz...@sbcglobal.net

Apr 24, 2018, 1:24:08 PM4/24/18
On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 12:34:43 PM UTC-7, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 11:58:38 -0700 (PDT), Glenn Geller <g...@ziiz.co> wrote:
> > Activity on this Usenet group has slowed to a
> > microtrickle.
> >
> > Which online forum anywhere most nearly replaces
> > ba.internet?
> >
> > And the answer might be, "There is none."
>
> There is one, we are just depressed about what the net
> has become.

I think a lot of us in tech back in the early 1990s didn't think that the Internet (and computers in general) would be as much embraced by the public as they are now.

John Slade

May 23, 2018, 6:25:25 PM5/23/18
DSLreports.com has a forum that is the closest thing I
can think of that replaces ba.interenet.

John

bi...@mix.com

May 31, 2018, 11:15:08 PM5/31/18
nooz...@sbcglobal.net writes, quoting Glenn Geller <g...@ziiz.co>
and Julian Macassey <jul...@tele.com>:

> > > Activity on this Usenet group has slowed to a microtrickle.
> > >
> > > Which online forum anywhere most nearly replaces ba.internet?
> > >
> > > And the answer might be, "There is none."
> >
> > There is one, we are just depressed about what the net
> > has become.

The local newsgroups at Panix are still interesting reading. Paid
access via a NetBSD shell account ($100/year) is required. I think
it's well worth it. http://Panix.COM

> I think a lot of us in tech back in the early 1990s didn't think
> that the Internet (and computers in general) would be as much
> embraced by the public as they are now.

Heh. Back then we all had three-letter domains and there were
plenty of them left over...

Billy Y..
--
sub #'9+1 ,r0 ; convert ascii byte
add #9.+1 ,r0 ; to an integer

Eli the Bearded

Jun 1, 2018, 1:27:33 AM6/1/18
In ba.internet, <bi...@MIX.COM> wrote:
> The local newsgroups at Panix are still interesting reading. Paid
> access via a NetBSD shell account ($100/year) is required. I think
> it's well worth it. http://Panix.COM

Yeah, but I wouldn't ask ba.specific questions there.

Elijah
------
plenty of three letter domains left in the new TLDs

Julian Macassey

Jun 3, 2018, 6:45:56 PM6/3/18
On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 23:08:48 +0000 (UTC), me at <my.ad...@is.invalid> wrote:

> Plenty of sfbay folks at panix, Everyone is at panix so
> ba.interent is unnecessary. Only old guys shell, no shellers at
> google and facebook. I work with a bunch of 30 somethings. They
> catch me using vi, "what's that" and reading email with mutt...
> usenet is dieing. Everything is forums.

Ah yes forums:

Q. I can't find a bra that fits

A. I'm a guy I don't wear bras.

Yup lots of useful info on forums.

Most forums are close to useless. Don't try flaming the idiots,
you will be punished for demanding useful responses.

> Has eternal September come to an end?

It just continues, new clueless users are born every day.

--
"OBEDIENCE TO THE LAW IS FREEDOM" Sign over the entrance to the
Fort Dix Stockade (US Military prison) in 1969.

Eli the Bearded

Jun 4, 2018, 10:20:59 PM6/4/18
In ba.internet, Julian Macassey <jul...@tele.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 23:08:48 +0000 (UTC), me at
> <my.ad...@is.invalid> wrote:
>> Plenty of sfbay folks at panix, Everyone is
>> usenet is dieing. Everything is forums.
> Most forums are close to useless. Don't try
> flaming the idiots,
> you will be punished for demanding useful responses.

Discourse has a pretty good model for fighting that, but you'd need to
find an install with your desired topic. I've heard some good things
about tildes.net, which aims to be a general Usenet / Reddit crossover
with Discourse-like earned moderation and voting plus Slashdot style
negative tagging (where funny is sometime negative). Plus an honest
funding model.

Access is still by invite and I have not joined yet, but it does give me
hope for a better future.

Elijah
------
has not been following Discourse development of late