Consumer Cellular - T-mobile vs. ATT

Steve Pope

Sep 1, 2019, 12:07:18 AM9/1/19
Hi, everyone, it has been awhile.

Things were going smoothly with my friend's Consumer Cellular
service, which has been with ATT, from 2012 until recently when they
switched to a new phone (unlocked, purchased from B&H).

The new phone requires a smaller nano-SIM, so they had Consumer
Cellular send them the new SIM. To our surprise, the new phone with
the new SIM seems to only want to connect to T-Mobile. Setting up an
APN with the ATT parameters not only fails to work, but the APN
entry mysteriously disappears. I have seen the APN entry disappear
multiple times.

Setting it up for T-Mobile functions normally, but this is not
what we want.

Is it correct to assume that this new SIM is specific to T-Mobile?

And, should we expect Consumer Cellular to be able to reverse this
by sending us yet another SIM, or should we expcet CC to be intent on
shoving everybody over to T-Mobile?

And, is it normal for an Android phone to have the ability to
simply delete an APN entry, at the whim of the carrier? That would
seem a PITA for people who travel, who use a different carrier
sometimes, etc.

Thanks,

Steve