Shell account

roy

Dec 22, 2019, 12:47:28 PM12/22/19
It appears that my free shell account that I had with a local ISP is gone

Is there anyone offering free shell accounts? Only need it for some
light network monitoring

Roy

David Arnstein

Dec 22, 2019, 1:08:56 PM12/22/19
In article <qtoa7f$m4i$1...@adenine.netfront.net>,
roy <monta...@outlook.com> wrote:
>Is there anyone offering free shell accounts? Only need it for some
>light network monitoring

These guys still have a web page. I have no experience with them.

https://sdf.org/

If you are willing to spend $100 per year, panix is the way to go.
Reliable service, competent administrators, long history of same.
--
David Arnstein (00)
arnstei...@pobox.com {{ }}

Jeff Liebermann

Dec 22, 2019, 1:28:13 PM12/22/19
On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 10:47:26 -0700, roy <monta...@outlook.com>
wrote:

>Is there anyone offering free shell accounts? Only need it for some
>light network monitoring

I don't recommend any particular service provider, but there are lists
of "free shell accounts" available. Might be something among those:
<https://shells.red-pill.eu>
<https://aruljohn.com/freeshell/>
More:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=free+shell+account>

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Steve Pope

Dec 22, 2019, 3:51:13 PM12/22/19
>It appears that my free shell account that I had with a local ISP is gone
>
>Is there anyone offering free shell accounts? Only need it for some
>light network monitoring

Sonic still has them, las I checked.

Steve

Yeechang Lee

Dec 24, 2019, 2:35:41 AM12/24/19
David Arnstein wrote:
> These guys still have a web page. I have no experience with them.
>
> https://sdf.org/

I have had an SDF account for almost 20 years. Highly recommended.

The basic account is free, but doesn't allow for mail forwarding with
~/.forward, so the $36 one-time fee for ARPA status is worthwhile.

--
geo:37.783333,-122.416667

Roy

Dec 24, 2019, 7:43:56 AM12/24/19
I tried SDF but it didn't allow me to do what I needed. I wanted to run
some network monitoring scripts but the commands weren't available.