What's "JUMPSTART-5" on the Comcast network?

Graham Freeman

Dec 15, 2008, 11:33:57 PM12/15/08
Howdy,

I'm investigating a network abuse incident and am curious about the
meaning/significance of "JUMPSTART-5" on Comcast's network.

gflaptop:~ graham$ jwhois 98.210.42.[elided]
[Querying whois.arin.net]
[whois.arin.net]
Comcast Cable Communications, Inc. JUMPSTART-5 (NET-98-192-0-0-1)
98.192.0.0 - 98.255.255.255
Comcast Cable Communications, Inc. BAYAREA-CPE-26 (NET-98-210-0-0-1)
98.210.0.0 - 98.210.255.255

Any clues would be appreciated. :)

thanks,

Graham

Roy

Dec 16, 2008, 1:33:43 AM12/16/08
to Graham Freeman

As I remember its an arbitrary field that the network owner gets to fill
in during the registration process

Roy

edwardm...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2020, 9:49:49 PM2/18/20
You might want to look up Amy moody Cleveland ga. Absor_ global on gms developers. Hacked my ecerything

Rich Travis

Mar 16, 2021, 9:55:04 PM3/16/21
On Tuesday, February 18, 2020 at 9:49:49 PM UTC-5, edwardm...@gmail.com wrote:
> You might want to look up Amy moody Cleveland ga. Absor_ global on gms developers. Hacked my ecerything

any more info on that?

Steve

Aug 15, 2023, 10:16:19 AM8/15/23
Curious what the outcome of this was? Unusual to see comcast IPs performing certain activities, I'm investigating something similar.

Roy

Aug 18, 2023, 12:25:33 PM8/18/23
JUMPSTART-5 is an arbitrary handle assigned by Comcast to that block of
IP addresses. Note the handle of BAYAREA-CPE-26. BAYAREA-CPE-26 is a
suballocation of the parent JUMPSTART-5 allocation which appears to have
been allocated in 2007

Julian Macassey

Aug 21, 2023, 4:19:00 AM8/21/23
Another idiot from goggles bad ripoff of usenet.
1. responding to a post from 2008 - That's 25 years ago.

2. No word wrap.
--
The modern web is a crumbling edifice of unspeakable horror -
Jamie Zawinski <j...@jwz.org>