Racist Nun Guts at the Cow Palace Gun Show

1 view

Jym Dyer

Apr 11, 2002, 4:13:48 AM4/11/02
=v= Interesting snippet in _The_Wave_:

We pulled out a camera to take a picture of the wall of
bumper stickers that ranged from either completely racist
to unbelievably racists and were instantly jumped by
security and convention goers alike. It was weird that
in a room full of guns, a camera seemed far more dangerous.

<_Jym_>

Gail Gurman

Apr 11, 2002, 12:05:57 PM4/11/02
Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org> wrote in news:Jym.wzads...@econet.org:

Did you manage to get a picture?

JOB FISHING: Looking for a Senior Technical Writer position in the Bay
Area. See www.gurman.org/resume for cover letter, resume, and samples.

DarrellEarnshaw

Apr 11, 2002, 11:48:29 PM4/11/02
"racist"? How?

Most of the gun enthusiasts that I know may be Republican, but very rarely
racist.

Peter H. Proctor

Apr 14, 2002, 4:46:22 PM4/14/02
In article <ohdjbu0nvi3eiggbd...@4ax.com> Tom Teller <Tom Tel...@ethernet.com> writes:
>From: Tom Teller <Tom Tel...@ethernet.com>
>Subject: Re: Racist Nun Guts at the Cow Palace Gun Show
>Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 17:06:29 GMT

>Its' truly disgusting that a bunch of self-styled "American patriots" flew the
>Nazi Swastika flag at the gun show, according to the pictures I saw.

They are called War trophies. As in, " We killed the enemy and
took his stuff." It has an old and honorable tradition. Quite
reasonably, people object to the media taking this out of context and using
it as propagandistic evidence that they somehow endorse the Nazis. In fact,
anybody who interprets it this way is either dumber than a nail or a proven
liar. You chose...

Dr P

Rich Travsky

Apr 14, 2002, 2:15:06 PM4/14/02

Can't help but notice you snipped this part of his post:

Bumper stickers that say: "White Power Rules" and "Happiness is a Warm Machine Gun" and
Shoot First, Ask Questions Later", cant be helping their image in the public eye.

What war was the trophy bumper sticker "White Power Rules" won in?

RT

Peter H. Proctor

Apr 14, 2002, 8:14:07 PM4/14/02
In article <3CB9C72A...@hotmail.comMOVE> Rich Travsky <REtr...@hotmail.comMOVE> writes:
>From: Rich Travsky <REtr...@hotmail.comMOVE>

>Subject: Re: Racist Nun Guts at the Cow Palace Gun Show
>Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 12:15:06 -0600

I would have to know the context, which I'll bet is not the one
implied. If the story is true at all.

Around here ( Houston ) selling racist stuff is expressely forbidden
at local gun shows and will get you thrown out toot sweet. Wouldn't
surprise me if the same is true of California shows.

I have seen black memorabilia for sale. Stuff like old "whites only"
or "colored waiting room" signs. While often overtly ( even innocently )
racist, Black memorabilia is collected mostly by blacks as another "War
Trophy" and the antique dealers stock it for them. See "Kill the enemy and
take his stuff" above.

Hell, the primary historical stuff you see at gun shows is
ex-Soviet material: It's like a fire-sale: banners, medals, watches,
etc.. All with a Hammer and Sickle. Not to mention ex- Warsaw-Pact
Uniforms, This does not mean that gun show patrons are commies<G>.

Besides, racist stuff offends most patrons and a lot of racial
minorities attend gun shows. BTW, ever shot a full-auto weapon ? It's
fun, if a bit noisy and expensive..

Dr P

Pat Hines

Apr 14, 2002, 6:22:43 PM4/14/02
Tom Teller wrote:

> On 11 Apr 2002 01:13:48 -0700, Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org> wrote:
>
> Its' truly disgusting that a bunch of self-styled "American patriots" flew the Nazi
> Swastika flag at the gun show, according to the pictures I saw.
>
> Bumper stickers that say: "White Power Rules" and "Happiness is a Warm Machine Gun" and
> Shoot First, Ask Questions Later", cant be helping their image in the public eye.
>
> Its no wonder that many sane people feel threatened by the US firearms fanatics !

It's called freedom of speech, something that most liberal
sociofascists oppose. While I'm opposed politically to all tyrannies, I
fully support freedom of speech, including speech that I don't like. If
those types of stickers and banners were at the gun show, they in no way
indicate that anyone other than the seller are interested in them. Your
attempts to sully gun owners with the taint of fascism, of which you
yourself reek, is noted however.

Your fellow kameraden apparently didn't know that they don't have the
freedom to photograph anyone or anything they wish at a private gun
show, now they do.

Pat Hines

John A. Stovall

Apr 14, 2002, 5:34:42 PM4/14/02
On Sun, 14 Apr 2002 16:14:07 UNDEFINED, ppro...@neosoft.com (Peter H.
Proctor) wrote:

snipped

> Besides, racist stuff offends most patrons and a lot of racial
>minorities attend gun shows. BTW, ever shot a full-auto weapon ? It's
>fun, if a bit noisy and expensive..

Which one? The USAS-12 or just what.

If these people want to freak out over Nazi stuff at gun shows the
should attend some of the Gun show which are held in conjunction with
WWII re-enactors. I'm sure in the Houston area you have seen members
of the Texas Military Historical Society's Der Fuhrer group. One of
the best German reenactment groups in the country.

http://www.geocities.com/ss_derfuhrer/

"O it's broken the lock and splintered the door,
O it's the gate where they're turning, turning;
Their boots are heavy on the floor
And their eyes are burning.'

"O What is that Sound"
W. H. Auden

bear...@cruller.invalid

Apr 14, 2002, 6:32:14 PM4/14/02
In article
<D8ED9663DEB7BE88.7BA558E6...@lp.airnews.net>,

ppro...@neosoft.com (Peter H. Proctor) wrote:

> toot sweet.

Gun nutz can't even spell good frog: that's toots wheat <VBG>

M. L. Davis

Apr 14, 2002, 10:44:02 PM4/14/02

"Rich Travsky" <REtr...@hotmail.comMOVE> wrote in message

I don't trust you.

-*MORT*-

Jim Alder

Apr 15, 2002, 2:42:41 AM4/15/02
Tom Teller <Tom Tel...@ethernet.com> wrote in

> On 11 Apr 2002 01:13:48 -0700, Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org> wrote:
>

> Its' truly disgusting that a bunch of self-styled "American patriots"
> flew the Nazi Swastika flag at the gun show, according to the pictures
> I saw.
>

> Bumper stickers that say: "White Power Rules" and "Happiness is a Warm
> Machine Gun" and Shoot First, Ask Questions Later", cant be helping
> their image in the public eye.
>

> Its no wonder that many sane people feel threatened by the US firearms
> fanatics !

I feel more threatened by people who feel the need to lie to make their
point. I have never seen a 'White Power' anything at a gun show, and I've
been to hundreds. No one is 'flying' the Nazi flag there. They sell them as
war memorabilia.

What's ba.general? a newsgroup for sheep fuckers?

--
Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think,
the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very

Jim Alder

Apr 15, 2002, 2:44:43 AM4/15/02
Rich Travsky <REtr...@hotmail.comMOVE> wrote in

> Can't help but notice you snipped this part of his post:
>
> Bumper stickers that say: "White Power Rules" and "Happiness is a Warm
> Machine Gun" and Shoot First, Ask Questions Later", cant be helping
> their image in the public eye.
>
> What war was the trophy bumper sticker "White Power Rules" won in?

Tom Teller's war with the truth.

simony postelthwaite,esq.

Apr 15, 2002, 9:05:55 AM4/15/02
On Mon, 15 Apr 2002 06:42:41 -0000, Jim Alder <jima...@ssnet.com>
wrote:

>Tom Teller <Tom Tel...@ethernet.com> wrote in
>
>> On 11 Apr 2002 01:13:48 -0700, Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org> wrote:
>>
>>>=v= Interesting snippet in _The_Wave_:
>>>
>>> We pulled out a camera to take a picture of the wall of
>>> bumper stickers that ranged from either completely racist
>>> to unbelievably racists and were instantly jumped by
>>> security and convention goers alike. It was weird that
>>> in a room full of guns, a camera seemed far more dangerous.
>>>
>>> <_Jym_>
>>
>> Its' truly disgusting that a bunch of self-styled "American patriots"
>> flew the Nazi Swastika flag at the gun show, according to the pictures
>> I saw.
>>
>> Bumper stickers that say: "White Power Rules" and "Happiness is a Warm
>> Machine Gun" and Shoot First, Ask Questions Later", cant be helping
>> their image in the public eye.
>>
>> Its no wonder that many sane people feel threatened by the US firearms
>> fanatics !
>
> I feel more threatened by people who feel the need to lie to make their
>point. I have never seen a 'White Power' anything at a gun show, and I've
>been to hundreds. No one is 'flying' the Nazi flag there. They sell them as
>war memorabilia.
>
> What's ba.general? a newsgroup for sheep fuckers?

That would be baaa.general

Johnny Johnson

Apr 15, 2002, 12:35:06 PM4/15/02
Rich Travsky wrote:

> "Peter H. Proctor" wrote:
>
>> They are called War trophies. As in, "We killed the enemy and
>> took his stuff." It has an old and honorable tradition. Quite reasonably,
>> people object to the media taking this out of context and using it as
>> propagandistic evidence that they somehow endorse the Nazis. In fact,
>> anybody who interprets it this way is either dumber than a nail or a proven
>> liar. You chose...
>
> Can't help but notice you snipped this part of his post:
>
> Bumper stickers that say: "White Power Rules"...

While I disagree with the "message", its delivery is guaranteed under
the First Amendment.

> ...and "Happiness is a Warm Machine Gun"...

What's wrong with that?

BTW: "Happiness is Full Auto" is a long-established Trademark of MCC Gun
Craft.

> ...and Shoot First, Ask Questions Later"...

Isn't that the motto of certain FBI agents who stop cars for "bank
robbery"?

M. L. Davis

Apr 15, 2002, 2:38:03 PM4/15/02

"Johnny Johnson" <johnj...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

It's Janet Reno's campain slogan.

-*MORT*-

Karl Hungus

Apr 15, 2002, 3:33:42 PM4/15/02

"M. L. Davis" <oglet...@oglethorpe.com> wrote in message

> > > ...and Shoot First, Ask Questions Later"...
> >
> > Isn't that the motto of certain FBI agents who stop cars for "bank
> > robbery"?
>
> It's Janet Reno's campain slogan.

Actually, that one didn't go over too well with the focus groups. The have
been quite a few revamps, but I think this is the latest:

"Shoot first, then burn. Ask questions only after the bulldozers have gone
over the ashes."

Not one for brevity, is Janet.

Jym Dyer

Apr 15, 2002, 3:44:17 PM4/15/02
> Around here ( Houston ) selling racist stuff is expressely
> forbidden at local gun shows and will get you thrown out
> toot sweet. Wouldn't surprise me if the same is true of
> California shows.

=v= You probably didn't see the original message, because
it wasn't cross-posted the way the followups were, but it
had absolutely nothing to do with Nazi flags, war trophies,
"whites only" memorabilia, "Happiness is a Warm Machine Gun"
bumperstickers, or lib'rul purveyors of censorship.

=v= There was a display of racist bumperstickers at a gun show
at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. A journalist tried to take
a picture of it and was prevented from it by security guards
and gun show attendees.
<_Jym_>

Peter H. Proctor

Apr 16, 2002, 1:49:05 AM4/16/02
In article <Jym.wzu1q...@econet.org> Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org> writes:
>From: Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org>

>Subject: Re: Racist Nun Guts at the Cow Palace Gun Show
>Date: 15 Apr 2002 12:44:17 -0700

I'll bet as racist as it got was a few confederate flag-containing
bumper stickers. Ever see the Dukes of Hazard ?

Dr P

Jym Dyer

Apr 16, 2002, 1:13:19 PM4/16/02
>> =v= There was a display of racist bumperstickers at a gun
>> show at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. A journalist
>> tried to take a picture of it and was prevented from it
>> by security guards and gun show attendees.
> I'll bet as racist as it got was a few confederate
> flag-containing bumper stickers.

=v= The description was, "the wall of bumper stickers that
ranged from either completely racist to unbelievably racist,"
which suggests something far more than a confederate flag.
The fact that attendees forcibly prevented photographic
documentation of the stickers is also noteworthy.

=v= Of course, if the supposedly freedom-loving gun show
attendees weren't so bent on suppressing the truth, we wouldn't
be having to have this stupid conjecture about how the stickers
were probably only an eensy-teensy little bit racist.
<_Jym_>

Eric Dew

Apr 16, 2002, 6:11:41 PM4/16/02
In article <F64B71ADA0983BE6.F49E16E6...@lp.airnews.net>,
[...]

> I'll bet as racist as it got was a few confederate flag-containing
>bumper stickers. Ever see the Dukes of Hazard ?
>
>Dr P

If so, then why were the gun show attendees and security guards so
up tight about it?

EDEW

Peter H. Proctor

Apr 17, 2002, 1:11:54 AM4/17/02
In article <Jym.wzit6...@econet.org> Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org> writes:
>From: Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org>
>Subject: Re: Racist Nun Guts at the Cow Palace Gun Show
>Date: 16 Apr 2002 10:13:19 -0700

>> I'll bet as racist as it got was a few confederate
>> flag-containing bumper stickers.

>=v= The description was, "the wall of bumper stickers that

>ranged from either completely racist to unbelievably racist,"
>which suggests something far more than a confederate flag.

Doesn't pass the smell test. A confederate flag would be
"unbeleivably racist" to a lot of these people. I remember one making a
crack about all the Nazi flags in a context which make it clear that they were
talking about WW2 memorabilia.

>The fact that attendees forcibly prevented
photographic>documentation of the stickers is also noteworthy.

Howabout they knew anything would be _deliberately_ distorted and taken out
of context for propaganda purposes. There is a reason most gun shows don't
allow people with cameras in. Been burned to many times. It is the same
reason a lot of media advisors advise their clients not to give TV interviews.
The other guy controls the editing...

>=v= Of course, if the supposedly freedom-loving gun show
>attendees weren't so bent on suppressing the truth, we wouldn't
>be having to have this stupid conjecture about how the stickers
>were probably only an eensy-teensy little bit racist.

If it was like gun shows around here, there was a big sign out front noting
that cameras, etc. are not allowed... There is a reason for this. Also,
how do we know the people with the cameras were not distorting this also ?

dr P

Peter H. Proctor

Apr 17, 2002, 1:13:56 AM4/17/02
In article <a9i7it$7f2$2...@og1.olagrande.net> ed...@olagrande.net (Eric Dew) writes:
>From: ed...@olagrande.net (Eric Dew)

>Subject: Re: Racist Nun Guts at the Cow Palace Gun Show
>Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 22:11:41 +0000 (UTC)

Because they know what will happen with any film.. Remeber, television is
entertainment first, news second... Besides which, if there was a sign out
front telling "no cameras", these poeople were trespassing...

Dr P

Jeffrey Siegal

Apr 16, 2002, 10:16:03 PM4/16/02
"Peter H. Proctor" wrote:
> Howabout they knew anything would be _deliberately_ distorted and taken out
> of context for propaganda purposes. There is a reason most gun shows don't
> allow people with cameras in.

It isn't at all limited to gun shows. All sorts of conventions and
meetings prohibit or restrict cameras.

Other Tom

Apr 17, 2002, 10:18:36 AM4/17/02
>>If so, then why were the gun show attendees and security guards so
>>up tight about it?
>Because they know that there are all manner of items for sale there that
>prove that many, if not most gun owners are racists and bigots at heart.

The guards are there to eliminate trouble-makers... like political agenda
driven "reporters" looking for mud... The guards in particular give everyone
going in a good look over... the last place you want trouble starting is in
a gun-show with a hundred armed shoppers and store-owners...

As far as your "many, if not most" blanket condemnation, it exposes your
personal bigotry. Be honest with yourself, if not with others... Didn't you
*already* believe 'many, if not most' long before you went to a gun show?

Last gun show I went to had several anti-governemnt stands (selling anti-
government, anti-tax, anti-clinton, etc bumberstickers, T-shirts, etc.)...
One had a couple of 'white power' type stickers, most had 'rebel flag'
stuff... but the appeal is mostly anti-government attitude as opposed to
'racist'... A popular item was a sticker, T-shirt with rebel flag and the
"you wear your X and I'll wear mine"... a reference to the then popular
"Malcolm X" caps and shirts... as a matter of fact, two stands were selling
the "Malcolm X" caps and a Black Panther T-shirt with the image of a dozen
armed black militia members...

> That is not an urban legend.
No, it's bull shit lies....

> Don't believe me?
> Good !
> Pony up the money and go to a gun show like I did.
> Clue: You wont see too many people, if any, that are not WHITE.
Pony up your money and go to an opera... must be a racist thing, huh?

Other Tom;
PS
"When government fails to protect the rights of any individual man, that
man rests on 'his original right of self-defense,' even if it means,
unfortunately, shooting down his pursuers..."

--- Frederick Douglas, Abolitionist

Jim Bianchi

Apr 17, 2002, 12:21:05 PM4/17/02
On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 06:34:45 GMT, Tom Teller <tte...@ethernet.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Apr 2002 22:11:41 +0000 (UTC), ed...@olagrande.net (Eric Dew) wrote:
>
>>In article <F64B71ADA0983BE6.F49E16E6...@lp.airnews.net>,
>>[...]
>>> I'll bet as racist as it got was a few confederate flag-containing
>>>bumper stickers. Ever see the Dukes of Hazard ?
>>>

>>If so, then why were the gun show attendees and security guards so
>>up tight about it?
>
>Because they know that there are all manner of items for sale there that
>prove that many, if not most gun owners are racists and bigots at heart.

I see. You're saying the mere fact that one can see the exact same
items offered for sale at flea markets 'prove' ALL flea market operators and
attendees are 'racists.'

>That is not an urban legend.

Unfortunately you are right here. Neither case is an urban legend.
However, what would you do? Condemn millions of people just because you do
not care for "all manner of items for sale" at flea markets and gunshows?

..uh, I hesitate to ask this, but how do you account for the
significant number of firearms owners who are themselves black (or
non-caucasian)?

>Don't believe me?

Why should I?

>Good !

I'm happy you can be so accepting.

>Pony up the money and go to a gun show like I did.

My god! You mean you're one of those gun-nut racist-pigs too?

>Clue: You wont see too many people, if any, that are not WHITE.

So what? I live in a racially mixed area north of San Francisco.
However, the last time I went to the large shopping mall in the center of
town, something approaching 99% of the customers there were ..ah, WHITE.

--
ji...@sonic.net

"Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals
are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Jym Dyer

Apr 17, 2002, 1:08:32 PM4/17/02
> Howabout they knew anything would be _deliberately_ distorted
> and taken out of context for propaganda purposes. There is a
> reason most gun shows don't allow people with cameras in.

=v= Oh yes, a wall of racist bumper stickers at a gun show, I
could certainly see how that could be "distorted."

=v= Just by way little reality check here, _The_Wave_ is not an
anti-gun house organ backed up by a vast left-wing conspiracy,
it's a nonpolitical lite fluff entertainment magazine.

> Also, how do we know the people with the cameras were not
> distorting this also ?

=v= We don't know. My whole point is, thanks to the gun show
attendees, the truth has been suppressed, whatever it is.
<_Jym_>

Peter H. Proctor

Apr 17, 2002, 11:45:59 PM4/17/02
In article <Jym.wzd6w...@econet.org> Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org> writes:
>From: Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org>
>Subject: Re: Racist Nun Guts at the Cow Palace Gun Show
>Date: 17 Apr 2002 10:08:32 -0700

>=v= Just by way little reality check here, _The_Wave_ is not an
>anti-gun house organ backed up by a vast left-wing conspiracy,
>it's a nonpolitical lite fluff entertainment magazine.

Then why were they at a gun show trying to take photos ? In
violation of the rules, BTW....

>> Also, how do we know the people with the cameras were not
>> distorting this also ?

>=v= We don't know. My whole point is, thanks to the gun show
>attendees, the truth has been suppressed, whatever it is.

No, we have just seen how things concerning firearms are quite often taken
out of context and distorted in some sort of culture war. Ya get burned
enough.... Sometimes suspicion and paranoia are justified.

Dr P

simony postelthwaite,esq.

Apr 18, 2002, 8:35:17 AM4/18/02
wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Apr 2002 22:11:41 +0000 (UTC), ed...@olagrande.net (Eric Dew) wrote:
>

>Because they know that there are all manner of items for sale there that prove that many,
>if not most gun owners are racists and bigots at heart.

That's absolute bullshit and, in fact, makes YOU a bigot.

>That is not an urban legend.
>

>Don't believe me?
>
>Good !
>

>Pony up the money and go to a gun show like I did.
>

>Clue: You wont see too many people, if any, that are not WHITE.
>

>You WILL see lots of "hardware" just waiting for some nutcase to use it to kill innocent
>people.

no one of consequence

Apr 18, 2002, 10:57:59 AM4/18/02
In article <E4159C31180BE592.35EC392C...@lp.airnews.net>,
Peter H. Proctor <ppro...@neosoft.com> wrote:

Ask any fringe group burned by the media for some reporter's pet 'cause'.

--
|Patrick Chester wol...@io.com |
|"...could you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?" |

Jym Dyer

Apr 18, 2002, 2:13:09 PM4/18/02
>> it's a nonpolitical lite fluff entertainment magazine.
> Then why were they at a gun show trying to take photos ?
> In violation of the rules, BTW....

=v= You keep repeating this claim about violation of the rules.
Do you know that for sure? It seems to me that this is just
conjecture on your part, along with your notion that the bumper
stickers in question were only just a little bit racist.

=v= I don't know why they were at a gun show, but they did print
a lite fluff entertainment piece about women training to use
guns (which, if you want to politicize it, was actually pro-gun).
Perhaps they went to the gun show in connection with that.

=v= As for why they wanted to take a photo, I suspect it had
something to do with an understandably astonished reaction
to seeing, as they put it, a "wall of bumper stickers that
ranged from either completely racist to unbelievably racist."

>> My whole point is, thanks to the gun show attendees, the
>> truth has been suppressed, whatever it is.
> No, we have just seen how things concerning firearms are
> quite often taken out of context and distorted in some sort
> of culture war.

=v= So it seems you're on the side of keeping everything under
wraps and suppressing the truth, rather than dealing with it
out in the open. Sure, anything at all can be distorted, but
the more truth that's out there in the open (like a photograph
of a wall of racist bumper stickers) is less distortable than
a void of information. Why, look at your own conjectures, about
how it's just probably harmless "Dukes of Hazzard" stuff, based
on nothing but what you want people to believe, with no evidence
one way or another. How is that less distorted?
<_Jym_>

Peter H. Proctor

Apr 19, 2002, 3:08:00 PM4/19/02
In article <X9Bv8.34013$PV.32...@bin6.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com> wol...@io.com (no one of consequence) writes:
>Subject: Re: Racist Nun Guts at the Cow Palace Gun Show
>From: wol...@io.com (no one of consequence)
>Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:57:59 GMT

>In article <E4159C31180BE592.35EC392C...@lp.airnews.net>,
>Peter H. Proctor <ppro...@neosoft.com> wrote:

>]No, we have just seen how things concerning firearms are quite often taken

>]out of context and distorted in some sort of culture war. Ya get burned
>]enough.... Sometimes suspicion and paranoia are justified.

>Ask any fringe group burned by the media for some reporter's pet 'cause'.

Media advisors generally advise their clients not to talk to the media
when any issue to their possibile detriment comes up. It is better to say "no
comment" than be subjected to imaginative editing...

Dr P

Peter H. Proctor

Apr 19, 2002, 3:11:01 PM4/19/02
In article <Jym.wzelh...@econet.org> Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org> writes:
>From: Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org>
>Subject: Re: Racist Nun Guts at the Cow Palace Gun Show
>Date: 18 Apr 2002 11:13:09 -0700

>>> it's a nonpolitical lite fluff entertainment magazine.
>> Then why were they at a gun show trying to take photos ?
>> In violation of the rules, BTW....

>=v= You keep repeating this claim about violation of the rules.
>Do you know that for sure? It seems to me that this is just
>conjecture on your part, along with your notion that the bumper
>stickers in question were only just a little bit racist.

Around here ( Houston ), there are two rules at gun shows: No cameras or
recording devices and no racist material. Just extrapolating...

Dr P

Michael Dix

Apr 20, 2002, 12:17:46 PM4/20/02

Cameras are barred from the Crossroads of the West gun
shows at the Cow Palace. There is a prominent sign to
this effect at the show entrance. This wouldn't prevent anyone
from jotting down the contents of the bumper stickers,
or even purchasing them for an off-site photo shoot,
if documentation were needed.

I don't recall any racist bumperstickers; they tend
mostly to "My kid can beat up your honor student",
"My kid was inmate of the month at County Jail", etc.
The anti-Clinton stickers are no longer popular.
Women may be interested to know that there's also a
wonderful assortment of male-bashing stickers.

As far as guns=whitey goes, one of the exhibitors at
the show was High Bridge Arms, the last remaining gun
shop in San Francisco, which is owned and staffed by
Asian Americans.

--
mj...@sonic.net

Michael Dix

Apr 20, 2002, 4:30:26 PM4/20/02
Tom Teller wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Apr 2002 16:17:46 GMT, Michael Dix wrote

> >Cameras are barred from the Crossroads of the West gun
> >shows at the Cow Palace. There is a prominent sign to
> >this effect at the show entrance. This wouldn't prevent anyone
> >from jotting down the contents of the bumper stickers,
> >or even purchasing them for an off-site photo shoot,
> >if documentation were needed.
> >
> >I don't recall any racist bumperstickers; they tend
> >mostly to "My kid can beat up your honor student",
> >"My kid was inmate of the month at County Jail", etc.
> >The anti-Clinton stickers are no longer popular.
> >Women may be interested to know that there's also a
> >wonderful assortment of male-bashing stickers.
> >
> >As far as guns=whitey goes, one of the exhibitors at
> >the show was High Bridge Arms, the last remaining gun
> >shop in San Francisco, which is owned and staffed by
> >Asian Americans.
>

> Clue: Its' San Francisco, not Idaho, Mike, and these "Asians" were there making a buck, by
> selling high to those with a large wallet , not buying.
>
> Did you have a point to make here ?

Clue: It's San Francisco, not Idaho, Tom, where there is an
active movement to tax and regulate gun stores out of existence
(the *last* remaining store, remember?). They'd make a
lot more money by moving their store even one town over. Only a
strong believer in the Second Amendment would own a gun store
in SF - it would be easier to open an abortion clinic next
to Operation Rescue's headquarters (or a gay bar on the Liberty
University campus). And, from talking to them, they all appear
to be gun enthusiasts.

Go up to the range on Skyline some weekend, and you'll see
entire Chinese (Korean, etc.) families practicing their
marksmanship. Hispanics are also common, but I have seen
few black shooters (but relative to whites and Asians, few
blacks live in the South Bay.)

> BTW, were they wearing the Nazi "Swastika" T-shirts that were sold at the gun show ?

What booth sold these? Did these shirts perhaps show Hitler
endorsing gun control?

> Did they purchase the "White Power" and "God Hates Fags" bumper stickers that were on
> display also ?

I didn't think the Phelpses were in town. There's a sizable
number of gay gun owners in the bay area, so such an attitude
would be bad for business. Again, what booth sold these?

> And how about all those " Vote From the Rooftops" ( Note: this depicts a Sniper armed
> with a high-power rifle, shooting and killing people from a tower or a roof) paraphernalia
> that you folks are so fond of purchasing these days?

Where was this booth located in relation to the San Francisco
Japanese Sword Society booth?

> So much for the US gun owners position on using the ballot-box, huh, Mike ?
>
> It's no wonder that so many Americans are afraid of gun owners and right-wing conservative
> hatemongers, with labels of hate like these displayed and sold at gun shows.

Do you have any business cards from these hatemongers?

--
mj...@sonic.net

no one of consequence

Apr 22, 2002, 10:55:10 AM4/22/02
Tom Teller <tte...@ethernet.com> wrote:
]On Sat, 20 Apr 2002 16:17:46 GMT, Michael Dix <lo...@sig.please.because.this.is.invalid>
]wrote:
]>Cameras are barred from the Crossroads of the West gun

]>shows at the Cow Palace. There is a prominent sign to
]>this effect at the show entrance. This wouldn't prevent anyone
]>from jotting down the contents of the bumper stickers,
]>or even purchasing them for an off-site photo shoot,
]>if documentation were needed.
]>
]
]Clue: Its' San Francisco, not Idaho, Mike, and these "Asians" were there making a buck, by

]selling high to those with a large wallet , not buying.
]
]Did you have a point to make here ?
]
]BTW, were they wearing the Nazi "Swastika" T-shirts that were sold at the gun show ?
]
]Did they purchase the "White Power" and "God Hates Fags" bumper stickers that were on
]display also ?

How many purchased those, btw? You *were* there, right? Oh wait, maybe you weren't and
just seized upon it since it matched the image *your* bigotry brings up when you think
of gun owners.

]And how about all those " Vote From the Rooftops" ( Note: this depicts a Sniper armed

]with a high-power rifle, shooting and killing people from a tower or a roof) paraphernalia
]that you folks are so fond of purchasing these days?

]
]So much for the US gun owners position on using the ballot-box, huh, Mike ?

That's one of the first boxes to use. Cartridge box is last, but don't let little things
like truth get in the way of *your* hatred, eh?

]It's no wonder that so many Americans are afraid of gun owners and right-wing conservative

]hatemongers, with labels of hate like these displayed and sold at gun shows.

Can I borrow your brush? I need to paint Alaska.

Speaking of hatemongering, have you looked at your own?

Eric Dew

Apr 22, 2002, 7:12:10 PM4/22/02
In article <3CC1D092...@sonic.net>, Michael Dix <mj...@sonic.net> wrote:

>Tom Teller wrote:
>>
>> Clue: Its' San Francisco, not Idaho, Mike, and these "Asians" were
>there making a buck, by
>> selling high to those with a large wallet , not buying.
>>
>> Did you have a point to make here ?
>
>Clue: It's San Francisco, not Idaho, Tom, where there is an
>active movement to tax and regulate gun stores out of existence
>(the *last* remaining store, remember?). They'd make a
>lot more money by moving their store even one town over. Only a
>strong believer in the Second Amendment would own a gun store
>in SF - it would be easier to open an abortion clinic next
>to Operation Rescue's headquarters (or a gay bar on the Liberty
>University campus). And, from talking to them, they all appear
>to be gun enthusiasts.

Actually, being the last shop of anything, anywhere (as long as there
is a demand) usually makes that shop a pretty penny. There aren't
too many blacksmiths who put on horseshoes, but those who do make
a good bit of bucks.

EDEW