Frozen strawberries in syrup?

Steve Fenwick

Feb 3, 2009, 12:22:28 AM2/3/09
A long time ago, "frozen strawberries" meant sliced strawberries in
heavy syrup, frozen into a rectangular cardboard sleeve with metal
endcaps. They were really sweet, and packed nicely in a freezer.

Lately, "frozen strawberries" mostly means whole (sometimes sliced)
strawberries in no syrup/sauce, in a bag. Safeway/Von's seems to be the
hold-out, with frozen strawberries in syrup (beware the ersatz version
sweetened with Splenda!), but in tubs which are larger and don't pack as
efficiently.

Does anyone still sell the old-school style?

Steve

--
steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of

Karen

Feb 4, 2009, 9:37:07 AM2/4/09
On Feb 2, 9:22 pm, Steve Fenwick <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> A long time ago, "frozen strawberries" meant sliced strawberries in
> heavy syrup, frozen into a rectangular cardboard sleeve with metal
> endcaps. They were really sweet, and packed nicely in a freezer.
>
> Lately, "frozen strawberries" mostly means whole (sometimes sliced)
> strawberries in no syrup/sauce, in a bag. Safeway/Von's seems to be the
> hold-out, with frozen strawberries in syrup (beware the ersatz version
> sweetened with Splenda!), but in tubs which are larger and don't pack as
> efficiently.
>
> Does anyone still sell the old-school style?

I remember those but raspberries not strawberries. My mom used to have
them in the freezer sometime. Thawed out slightly, then were used for
ice cream topping for company.

I haven't seen them for sale for a long time, but I admit I haven't
thought about those forever to look for them.

I remember they used to leak in the freezer if you used a partial
amount.

The other day when I was watching "Mad Men," I noticed the housewife
was making orange juice from frozen concentrate. I haven't seen people
make orange juice like that for a long time.

Karen

Steve Fenwick

Feb 4, 2009, 12:42:05 PM2/4/09
In article
<b3e962a6-bdac-472a...@y23g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,
Karen <kso...@yahoo.com> wrote:

You mean, a can of frozen concentrate and three cans of water? Shoot,
that's our usual method. That way we can keep lots on hand without it
going bad or taking up a lot of space.

Karen

Feb 4, 2009, 2:36:34 PM2/4/09
On Feb 4, 9:42 am, Steve Fenwick <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> You mean, a can of frozen concentrate and three cans of water? Shoot,
> that's our usual method. That way we can keep lots on hand without it
> going bad or taking up a lot of space.

Well, I just hope it's Donald Duck orange juice...

Kelly Bee

Feb 4, 2009, 8:35:26 PM2/4/09
On Feb 2, 9:22 pm, Steve Fenwick <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> A long time ago, "frozen strawberries" meant sliced strawberries in
> heavy syrup, frozen into a rectangular cardboard sleeve with metal
> endcaps. They were really sweet, and packed nicely in a freezer.
>
> Lately, "frozen strawberries" mostly means whole (sometimes sliced)
> strawberries in no syrup/sauce, in a bag. Safeway/Von's seems to be the
> hold-out, with frozen strawberries in syrup (beware the ersatz version
> sweetened with Splenda!), but in tubs which are larger and don't pack as
> efficiently.
>
> Does anyone still sell the old-school style?
>
> Steve
>
> --
> steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com

I've seen these in the five-gallon size, but only through the
restaurant supply companies. Maybe Smart 'n Final or some such place
has them, perhaps even in more efficient sizes.

Steve Fenwick

Feb 4, 2009, 9:19:19 PM2/4/09
In article
<752b548c-0d54-48ed...@p23g2000prp.googlegroups.com>,
Karen <kso...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Cascadian Farms. Seriously, you only buy bottled OJ?

Show of hands: how many buy bottled, how many buy frozen, and how many
buy both regularly?

Aahz Maruch

Feb 5, 2009, 12:23:49 AM2/5/09
In article <nospam-EF894C....@mara100-84.onlink.net>,

Steve Fenwick <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Show of hands: how many buy bottled, how many buy frozen, and how many
>buy both regularly?

These days, I pretty much only buy Trader Joe's organic fresh.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 http://rule6.info/
<*> <*> <*>

SMS

Feb 5, 2009, 4:30:10 AM2/5/09
Aahz Maruch wrote:
> In article <nospam-EF894C....@mara100-84.onlink.net>,
> Steve Fenwick <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> Show of hands: how many buy bottled, how many buy frozen, and how many
>> buy both regularly?
>
> These days, I pretty much only buy Trader Joe's organic fresh.

I was buying Florida's Natural NFC or 365 NFC (both of which are 100%
Florida). I tried TJ's non-organic NFC but my son vetoed it.

Now I've been trying Kirkland from concentrate and it's pretty good and
a lot less expensive.

The Ranger

Feb 5, 2009, 9:23:22 AM2/5/09
Aahz Maruch <aa...@pobox.com> wrote in message

> In article
> <nospam-EF894C....@mara100-84.onlink.net>,
> Steve Fenwick <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> Show of hands: how many buy bottled, how many buy
>> frozen, and how many buy both regularly?
>>
> These days, I pretty much only buy Trader Joe's organic
> fresh.

Tried TJ's organic and the clan found it totally offensive to
their tastes; a waste of refrigerator space.

When my tree is producing, fresh squeezed.

When I see a brand on sale, that particular brand.

When I see a style on sale (frozen, bottled), that particular
style. (And I stock up on frozen when they go on sale.)

The Ranger

Karen

Feb 5, 2009, 10:09:13 AM2/5/09
On Feb 4, 6:19 pm, Steve Fenwick <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Cascadian Farms. Seriously, you only buy bottled OJ?
>
> Show of hands: how many buy bottled, how many buy frozen, and how many
> buy both regularly?

well, some things here and I'm in a talking kind of mood this morning:
I don't really drink too much oj anymore. It's pretty high in
calories, and I learned through a diabetes seminar that I attended
once, that drinking oj on an empty stomach is like injecting your
veins straight with liquid sugar and is one of the most high glycemic
choices you can make, besides watermelon juice, although if you dilute
it with vodka, oj's a healthier cocktail than most.That second part, I
researched and determined pro se. That's usually when I'll drink oj,
in a screwdriver, and I've not had one of those in a while. And, I
really didn't think that concentrate was sold to any extent anymore. I
thought it was an item of the past. I just never thought to look for
it. If I buy oj, I just buy a carton of tropicana. Yesterday, I bought
a mini tangerine juice at TJs and that will last more than a day, a
swig here and a swig there. I think I actually bought this juice
yesterday because of your post, now that I think about it, and thought
that a little juice would be quite tasty, and it really was this
morning. I remember as a kid, oj, the kind mixed up in a glass pitcher
from concentrate, was in the fridge all of the time, and served every
morning in tiny juice glasses.

After I mentioned Donald Duck orange juice, I saw an article on Disney
eggs. I think the eggs are stamped with Disney characters for
marketing purposes. This doesn't make sense because kids never see the
eggs before it's scrambled or part of French toast.

Karen

Dan Abel

Feb 5, 2009, 1:18:02 PM2/5/09
In article
<246a42eb-9af5-4f26...@b38g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Karen <kso...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Feb 4, 6:19 pm, Steve Fenwick <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> > Show of hands: how many buy bottled, how many buy frozen, and how many
> > buy both regularly?

> I don't really drink too much oj anymore. It's pretty high in

> calories, and I learned through a diabetes seminar that I attended
> once, that drinking oj on an empty stomach is like injecting your
> veins straight with liquid sugar and is one of the most high glycemic

I don't drink oj for that reason. It spikes blood sugar. However, I
like to keep it on hand for that very reason. When my blood sugar gets
too low, 4 oz of juice will usually bring it right up, within 15
minutes. We often buy the one gallon jugs of Odwalla (either orange or
tangerine) at Costco. We have bought the half gallon jugs at local
stores, but it's very expensive. If the kids aren't around, my wife
will buy a half gallon carton of some kind of juice.

We buy boxes of oranges at Costco. I'll cut one up and my wife and I
will split it. I try not to eat them on an empty stomach.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Al Eisner

Feb 5, 2009, 1:19:03 PM2/5/09
On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Aahz Maruch wrote:

> In article <nospam-EF894C....@mara100-84.onlink.net>,
> Steve Fenwick <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Show of hands: how many buy bottled, how many buy frozen, and how many
>> buy both regularly?
>
> These days, I pretty much only buy Trader Joe's organic fresh.

I'm really surprised anyone posting here uses frozen. I decided I didn't
like it (any brand I tried) decades ago, and haven't bought it since.
Maybe it has improved?

For a number of years I bought Odwalla, which was usually very good,
and was often discounted at Safeway. But the Odwalla prices have
soared in the last couple of years. I'm generally satisfied with
TJ's non-organic pasteurized. (I tried both the pasteurized and the
organic, but didn't think either warranted the higher price.) I did
recently try the WF 365 (non-organic) based on comments here -- which is
cheaper than TJ's. It was okay, but not really to my taste (it seemed
about midway between the fresher taste of Odwalla/TJ's and Tropicana).
One thing about orange juice however is that it is variable, so a
single sample may well not be a fair way to judge.
--

Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA

Al Eisner

Feb 5, 2009, 1:21:18 PM2/5/09
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Karen wrote:

> After I mentioned Donald Duck orange juice, I saw an article on Disney
> eggs. I think the eggs are stamped with Disney characters for
> marketing purposes. This doesn't make sense because kids never see the
> eggs before it's scrambled or part of French toast.

No, actually the chickens are genetically engineered to produce the
eggs that way.

SMS

Feb 5, 2009, 3:08:20 PM2/5/09
Al Eisner wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Aahz Maruch wrote:
>
>> In article <nospam-EF894C....@mara100-84.onlink.net>,
>> Steve Fenwick <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> Show of hands: how many buy bottled, how many buy frozen, and how many
>>> buy both regularly?
>>
>> These days, I pretty much only buy Trader Joe's organic fresh.
>
> I'm really surprised anyone posting here uses frozen. I decided I didn't
> like it (any brand I tried) decades ago, and haven't bought it since.
> Maybe it has improved?

I also hadn't tried it in decades, until recently when my sister-in-law
had some "from concentrate" OJ in her fridge and I tried it and it was
really good. So I tried the Kirkland concentrate and I find it very
good. Even my son, the OJ connoisseur, likes it. Of course just as with
NFC juices, the quality of the concentrate varies a lot between brands.
Normally I'm not a fan of a lot of the Kirkland products, but their OJ
concentrate is an exception.

I find the NFC Tropicana has a cooked taste, maybe from the pasteurization.

Peter Lawrence

Feb 5, 2009, 4:49:12 PM2/5/09
Karen wrote:

> well, some things here and I'm in a talking kind of mood this morning:
> I don't really drink too much oj anymore. It's pretty high in
> calories, and I learned through a diabetes seminar that I attended
> once, that drinking oj on an empty stomach is like injecting your
> veins straight with liquid sugar and is one of the most high glycemic
> choices you can make, besides watermelon juice, although if you dilute
> it with vodka, oj's a healthier cocktail than most.That second part, I
> researched and determined pro se. That's usually when I'll drink oj,
> in a screwdriver, and I've not had one of those in a while. And, I
> really didn't think that concentrate was sold to any extent anymore. I
> thought it was an item of the past. I just never thought to look for
> it. If I buy oj, I just buy a carton of tropicana. Yesterday, I bought
> a mini tangerine juice at TJs and that will last more than a day, a
> swig here and a swig there. I think I actually bought this juice
> yesterday because of your post, now that I think about it, and thought
> that a little juice would be quite tasty, and it really was this
> morning. I remember as a kid, oj, the kind mixed up in a glass pitcher
> from concentrate, was in the fridge all of the time, and served every
> morning in tiny juice glasses.

Those tiny juice glasses were (and still are) the right size for a
healthy amount of orange juice. Drinking more OJ than that results in
far too much sugar entering your body at mealtime.

- Peter

Tamzen Cannoy

Feb 5, 2009, 5:37:45 PM2/5/09
In article <nospam-EF894C....@mara100-84.onlink.net>,
Steve Fenwick <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article
> <752b548c-0d54-48ed...@p23g2000prp.googlegroups.com>,
> Karen <kso...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 4, 9:42 am, Steve Fenwick <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> > > You mean, a can of frozen concentrate and three cans of water? Shoot,
> > > that's our usual method. That way we can keep lots on hand without it
> > > going bad or taking up a lot of space.
> >
> > Well, I just hope it's Donald Duck orange juice...
>
> Cascadian Farms. Seriously, you only buy bottled OJ?
>
> Show of hands: how many buy bottled, how many buy frozen, and how many
> buy both regularly?
>
> Steve

I only buy fresh squeezed and NON flash-pasturized if I can.

Golden California Girls

Feb 5, 2009, 7:23:17 PM2/5/09

I think the taste thing of concentrate is really the taste of the water used to
reconstitute it. If the water out of your tap has the wrong minerals in it, it
will make the OJ taste bad. Try some made with distilled and you may be
pleasantly surprised.

Now as for bottled OJ, it is a carbon wasteful product.

Peter Lawrence

Feb 5, 2009, 8:43:19 PM2/5/09
Golden California Girls wrote:

> SMS wrote:
>>
>> I find the NFC Tropicana has a cooked taste, maybe from the pasteurization.
>
> I think the taste thing of concentrate is really the taste of the water used to
> reconstitute it. If the water out of your tap has the wrong minerals in it, it
> will make the OJ taste bad. Try some made with distilled and you may be
> pleasantly surprised.

I completely agree with this. The water used to make orange juice from
concentrate greatly affects the taste of the juice. Better water =
better orange juice.

- Peter

SMS

Feb 5, 2009, 8:57:51 PM2/5/09
Golden California Girls wrote:

> I think the taste thing of concentrate is really the taste of the water used to
> reconstitute it. If the water out of your tap has the wrong minerals in it, it
> will make the OJ taste bad. Try some made with distilled and you may be
> pleasantly surprised.

True, I use water from our reverse-osmosis system. The tap water has a
definite chlorine taste and smell.

Don't most people have reverse osmosis systems in the bay area for
drinking water? Or maybe I spend too much time around the same circle of
friends and relatives that all installed the Premier r-o systems from
Costco.

Steve Fenwick

Feb 5, 2009, 10:22:56 PM2/5/09
In article <mNMil.13049$as4....@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com>,
SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

No reverse osmosis system. Cheap filter between the cold supply and
icemaker.

Aahz Maruch

Feb 5, 2009, 10:25:03 PM2/5/09
In article <mNMil.13049$as4....@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com>,
SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

>Don't most people have reverse osmosis systems in the bay area for
>drinking water? Or maybe I spend too much time around the same circle of
>friends and relatives that all installed the Premier r-o systems from
>Costco.

Straight from the tap, baby!

Todd Michel McComb

Feb 5, 2009, 10:26:20 PM2/5/09
In article <gmgaif$270$1...@panix3.panix.com>, Aahz Maruch <aa...@pobox.com> wrote:
>Straight from the tap, baby!

Ditto. It's Hetch-Hetchy.

(I did not like how this water worked out when I tried to use it
with cask-strength scotch many years ago, though.)

Steve Pope

Feb 5, 2009, 11:56:56 PM2/5/09
SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> Don't most people have reverse osmosis systems in the bay
> area for drinking water?

Wasn't it you who was saying "most" people have rice cookers?

Steve

Peter Lawrence

Feb 6, 2009, 3:19:50 AM2/6/09

And also that he hadn't met anyone who did not own pizza stone.

:)

- Peter

Karen

Feb 6, 2009, 9:37:41 AM2/6/09
On Feb 5, 5:57 pm, SMS <scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:
> True, I use water from our reverse-osmosis system. The tap water has a
> definite chlorine taste and smell.
>
> Don't most people have reverse osmosis systems in the bay area for
> drinking water? Or maybe I spend too much time around the same circle of
> friends and relatives that all installed the Premier r-o systems from
> Costco.

My friends in San Jose swear by reverse osmosis to improve the taste
of their water.

I really miss the water in Mountain View. It tasted better and was
softer on my skin and hair.

Wish I could bottle some of that rain water out there right now...

Karen

Karen

Feb 6, 2009, 9:41:05 AM2/6/09
On Feb 5, 7:26 pm, mcc...@medieval.org (Todd Michel McComb) wrote:
> Ditto.  It's Hetch-Hetchy.
>
> (I did not like how this water worked out when I tried to use it
> with cask-strength scotch many years ago, though.)

San Jose Water co. couldn't confirm SJ's water was HetchHetchy on the
phone when I called. I have been meaning to research this because the
difference in 8 miles (my old apt to my new old house) is huge in the
water taste and softness.

It pains me to see people buy cases of bottled water at the stores.
There are more plastic bottles out there than there are fish in the
sea. That's what I always say. Not sure of it really, but it gets my
point across.

Karen

spamtr...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2009, 11:18:55 AM2/6/09
On Feb 6, 12:19 am, Peter Lawrence <hummb...@aol.com> wrote:
> Steve Pope wrote:

> > SMS  <scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Don't most people have reverse osmosis systems in the bay
> >> area for drinking water?
>
> > Wasn't it you who was saying "most" people have rice cookers?
>
> > Steve
>
> And also that he hadn't met anyone who did not own pizza stone.

hey, I hit the SMS trifecta!

I also have a pressure cooker, a double boiler, and some springform
pans.

spamtr...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2009, 11:20:15 AM2/6/09
On Feb 6, 6:37 am, Karen <ksoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My friends in San Jose swear by reverse osmosis to improve the taste
> of their water.
>
> I really miss the water in Mountain View. It tasted better and was
> softer on my skin and hair.

Do you live in SJ or unincorporated Burbank?

spamtr...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2009, 11:24:21 AM2/6/09
On Feb 6, 6:41 am, Karen <ksoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> San Jose Water co. couldn't confirm SJ's water was HetchHetchy on the
> phone when I called. I have been meaning to research this because the
> difference in 8 miles (my old apt to my new old house) is huge in the
> water taste and softness.

Depends where you live. Most SJ Water is ground water, recharged from
the various reservoirs. I think North SJ has some/all Hetch Hetchy.

> It pains me to see people buy cases of bottled water at the stores.
> There are more plastic bottles out there than there are fish in the
> sea. That's what I always say. Not sure of it really, but it gets my
> point across.

If you hate the taste of your tap water, you can always fill your own
containers from various water stores/machines. My friends who live in
Mtn. View didn't like their tap water, and would actually fill
containers from the well off Hwy 92 on the way to Half Moon Bay.

SMS

Feb 6, 2009, 11:44:19 AM2/6/09
Karen wrote:
> On Feb 5, 5:57 pm, SMS <scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:
>> True, I use water from our reverse-osmosis system. The tap water has a
>> definite chlorine taste and smell.
>>
>> Don't most people have reverse osmosis systems in the bay area for
>> drinking water? Or maybe I spend too much time around the same circle of
>> friends and relatives that all installed the Premier r-o systems from
>> Costco.
>
> My friends in San Jose swear by reverse osmosis to improve the taste
> of their water.

It'd be pretty rare to go to San Jose area home that didn't use either
filtered or bottled water.

SMS

Feb 6, 2009, 11:44:25 AM2/6/09
Karen wrote:

> San Jose Water co. couldn't confirm SJ's water was HetchHetchy on the
> phone when I called. I have been meaning to research this because the
> difference in 8 miles (my old apt to my new old house) is huge in the
> water taste and softness.

SJWC does get some water from Hetch Hetchy, but some from wells. At
least in my area it's heavily chlorinated, and has a lot of dissolved
solids (based on water analysis after I emptied and refilled our pool).

I know that in my area, almost everyone either has r-o systems or uses
delivered water, but it might also be partially cultural because the
people from Taiwan, China, and India wouldn't dream of drinking tap water.

Aahz Maruch

Feb 6, 2009, 11:51:09 AM2/6/09
In article <qMZil.13085$as4....@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com>,

SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

>It'd be pretty rare to go to San Jose area home that didn't use either
>filtered or bottled water.

Well, then, my primary and I were rarities when we lived in San Jose.

SMS

Feb 6, 2009, 12:10:00 PM2/6/09
Aahz Maruch wrote:
> In article <qMZil.13085$as4....@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com>,
> SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>> It'd be pretty rare to go to San Jose area home that didn't use either
>> filtered or bottled water.
>
> Well, then, my primary and I were rarities when we lived in San Jose.

Yes, that's true. But did you own a baking stone and a rice cooker? How
about a hot water boiler?

SMS

Feb 6, 2009, 12:13:10 PM2/6/09
spamtr...@gmail.com wrote:

> If you hate the taste of your tap water, you can always fill your own
> containers from various water stores/machines.

That's true, but it's quite a hassle to deal with that. An r-o system is
less than $200, and will certainly be cheaper in the long run than those
machines.

> My friends who live in
> Mtn. View didn't like their tap water, and would actually fill
> containers from the well off Hwy 92 on the way to Half Moon Bay.

That's no longer available is it? I didn't see it last time I went
across on 92. I think it was considered a traffic hazard.

SMS

Feb 6, 2009, 12:15:23 PM2/6/09
spamtr...@gmail.com wrote:

> hey, I hit the SMS trifecta!
>
> I also have a pressure cooker, a double boiler, and some springform
> pans.

Most people do. It's rare to find someone in the bay area that doesn't
have a rice cooker, baking stone, r-o system, and pressure cooker. Not
so sure about the double-boiler or spring form pans. Anyone without
these things is probably someone that you don't want to associate with.
They might even be Republicans.

Steve Pope

Feb 6, 2009, 12:21:39 PM2/6/09
SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> It's rare to find someone in the bay area that doesn't
> have a rice cooker, baking stone, r-o system, and pressure cooker.

About as rare as being in favor of prop 13.

BTW you wrote "that" when you should have written "who". It's
rare to find someone in the Bay Area who doesn't have a
Chicago Manual of Style.

S.

Golden California Girls

Feb 6, 2009, 12:26:16 PM2/6/09

Todd Michel McComb

Feb 6, 2009, 1:31:30 PM2/6/09
In article <b3546d8f-04d5-4534...@u18g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,

Karen <kso...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>San Jose Water co. couldn't confirm SJ's water was HetchHetchy on
>the phone when I called.

As someone else said, San Jose's water comes from a variety of
sources, including a substantial percentage of groundwater. It's
pretty ridiculous that whoever you called couldn't tell you this.

Mountain View's water is almost-but-not-entirely Hetch-Hetchy.

axlq

Feb 6, 2009, 2:25:02 PM2/6/09
In article <ade57dc4-9619-49f8...@g3g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,

<spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>If you hate the taste of your tap water, you can always fill your own
>containers from various water stores/machines. My friends who live in
>Mtn. View didn't like their tap water, and would actually fill
>containers from the well off Hwy 92 on the way to Half Moon Bay.

We used to do that for years, using the water dispensing machines
at the Mountain View Safeway. 30 cents/gallon. I got tired of
hauling 8-10 1-gallon jugs every week or so. We finally installed
a 5-stage RO filter in our kitchen. The water tastes great although my
tests show the Safeway machines put out purer water (1 ppm TDS from
Safeway vs 9 ppm TDS from my RO machine). But those machines at
Safeway have more stages to their filtration.

-A

spamtr...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2009, 2:26:55 PM2/6/09
On Feb 6, 9:13 am, SMS <scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:
> spamtrap1...@gmail.com wrote:
> > If you hate the taste of your tapwater, you can always fill your own

> > containers from variouswaterstores/machines.
>
> That's true, but it's quite a hassle to deal with that. An r-o system is
> less than $200, and will certainly be cheaper in the long run than those
> machines.
>
> > My friends who live in
> > Mtn. View didn't like their tapwater, and would actually fill
> > containers from the well off Hwy92on the way to Half Moon Bay.

> That's no longer available is it? I didn't see it last time I went
> across on92. I think it was considered a traffic hazard.

I googled it. "Lombardi Spring" was closed temporarily in the late 90s
to facilitate roadwork on 92. When it was reopened in 2000, the water
contained unacceptable amounts of E. coli and other coliforms, so it
was closed again. The Chronicle tweaked Bijan of Caltrans, who said he
had no money to investigate such things, and the well has remained
closed.

axlq

Feb 6, 2009, 2:28:17 PM2/6/09
In article <b00710e1-dcf2-42d1...@w39g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,

Karen <kso...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I really miss the water in Mountain View. It tasted better and was
>softer on my skin and hair.

Was that before they started loading it up with chloramines?

I'm in Mountain View. Tasting the tap water side by side with the
water coming out of the reverse osmosis filter is no contest. The
tap water tastes bad, as if it were laced with solvents and metals.
But it's a slight taste, only noticeable if you have pure water for
comparison.

-A

Al Eisner

Feb 6, 2009, 3:19:52 PM2/6/09

Most of the Peninsula, like SF, gets its water from Hetch Hetchy, and
I've always been happy with the tap water here. When I used to live
in southern CA, I got my drinking water from the machines outside all
the supermarkets -- something like 25 cents per gallon. The water taste
has improved in parts of southern CA, but I'd probably still do the same
if I lived there, and (based on comments in this thread) maybe even if
i lived in San Jose.
--

Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA

Aahz Maruch

Feb 6, 2009, 5:05:45 PM2/6/09
In article <u8_il.13092$as4....@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com>,

Nope, nope, nope. I'm not quite as much a Luddite as my parents, but I'm
pretty far along the spectrum. Even now that my primary is baking bread
regularly, we still don't have a baking stone because our aluminum Dutch
oven works perfectly fine with the no-knead recipe.

Geoff Miller

Feb 6, 2009, 8:00:29 PM2/6/09

Steve Fenwick <nos...@nospam.invalid> writes:

> Show of hands: how many buy bottled, how many buy frozen,
> and how many buy both regularly?

I buy "cartoned" -- Minute Maid Country Style.

I bought frozen for years, but finally decided I was tired of
futzing with it.

First, there was the minor but not insignificant hassle of
opening the can, winkling out the concentrate with a fork,
measuring out the three cans of water, and stirring until
the slug of frozen concentrate had dissolved. At which
point I'd find myself with a pitcher of tepid orange juice.
Bleh! (Yeah, I could've poured it over ice, but that diluted
it.)

It's easier to prepare if the can is taken out of the freezer
in advance so that the concentrate to thaw, or at least to
thaw to the point where it slides out of the can easily. But
that means a delay, or planning ahead, and I wanted instant
gratification.

So I began buying the stuff in cartons, and never looked back.
It's slightly more expensive, granted, but I believe the extra
expense is well worth the convenience factor.

Oh, and unlike a pitcher, the carton (the kind with the plastic
cap on it) can be stored on its side, which gives me more options
when it comes to space-utilization in my refrigerator.

Geoff

--
"Mommy, what's 'erectile dysfunction?'"

Geoff Miller

Feb 6, 2009, 8:49:21 PM2/6/09

Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> writes:

> I don't drink oj for that reason. It spikes blood sugar.

Is that bad for anyone who isn't a diabetic?

One reason I use honey as the sweetener of choice in my
coffee is that between it and the caffeine, I go from
"half asleep" to "Tasmanian Devil" in a matter of minutes.
And when you get up as early as I do, that comes in handy.

Geoff Miller

Feb 6, 2009, 8:51:16 PM2/6/09

Golden California Girls <gldnc...@aol.com.mil> writes:

> Now as for bottled OJ, it is a carbon wasteful product.

Good! Time to stock up...

Geoff Miller

Feb 6, 2009, 9:02:00 PM2/6/09

Karen <kso...@yahoo.com> writes:

> It pains me to see people buy cases of bottled water
> at the stores.

Everybody's an effing treehugger these days!

That stuff went away for a blessed interval, and I thought
the fad was finally over. But then it came roaring back,
and as a mainstream phenomenon, not the loony-left fringe/
university town thing it had been the first time around.
I blame the indoctrination of public-school students, who
go on to nag their parents and eventually start buying into
it through sheer force of repetition like an Anacin commer-
cial broadcast a dozen times during a 1970s evening newscast
("Daddy, why don't you drive a Prius?").

It isn't without an upside, admittedly. I love seeing
people's reactions when I tell them I'm not an environ-
mentalist, that I think global warming is not only hogwash
but an attempted left-wing power grab, and so on. It's
like farting in church or admitting to being a pedophile.

Geoff Miller

Feb 6, 2009, 9:08:14 PM2/6/09

Todd Michel McComb <mcc...@medieval.org> writes:

> Mountain View's water is almost-but-not-entirely Hetch-Hetchy.

I wonder if that's changed in recent years. Someone once
pointed out the location of three or four municipal wells.
The only one I remember offhand was on Central Expressway
near the intersection of North Moffet Blvd., in a small,
brown building that was designed to resemble a house. It
can be seen on your right, just beyond the chain-link fence,
as you drive west on Central with the Mountain View train
platform to your left.

But that was twenty years ago, and I'm sure concerns about
groundwater p'looshun from Silicon Valley industries have
only gotten more strident in the intervening time.

Geoff Miller

Feb 6, 2009, 9:12:02 PM2/6/09

axlq <ax...@spamcop.net> writes:

> The water tastes great although my tests show the Safeway
> machines put out purer water (1 ppm TDS from Safeway vs 9
> ppm TDS from my RO machine). But those machines at Safeway
> have more stages to their filtration.

How do you test that? Does OSH or somebody sell kits?

What's TDS?

Steve Fenwick

Feb 6, 2009, 9:33:34 PM2/6/09
In article <xK2dnYaFCZGTcBHU...@posted.lavanet>,
geo...@lava.net (Geoff Miller) wrote:

> Todd Michel McComb <mcc...@medieval.org> writes:
>
> > Mountain View's water is almost-but-not-entirely Hetch-Hetchy.
>

> I wonder if that's changed in recent years. Someone once
> pointed out the location of three or four municipal wells.
> The only one I remember offhand was on Central Expressway
> near the intersection of North Moffet Blvd., in a small,
> brown building that was designed to resemble a house. It
> can be seen on your right, just beyond the chain-link fence,
> as you drive west on Central with the Mountain View train
> platform to your left.

I think it's gone. There was a tank there, that was removed to make
parking space for the Adobe Building. It is used for community meetings
and private functions. See
<http://www.ci.mtnview.ca.us/city_hall/comm_services/recreation_programs_
and_services/facilities_and_reservations/historic_adobe_building.asp>

Steve

--
steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, chip shot in the other, body thoroughly
used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Dan Abel

Feb 6, 2009, 10:05:33 PM2/6/09
In article <QdOdneEpbb88dRHU...@posted.lavanet>,
geo...@lava.net (Geoff Miller) wrote:

> Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> writes:
>
> > I don't drink oj for that reason. It spikes blood sugar.
>

> Is that bad for anyone who isn't a diabetic?

Not that I know of.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

rone

Feb 7, 2009, 2:33:44 AM2/7/09

Geoff Miller <geo...@lava.net> wrote:
>But that was twenty years ago, and I'm sure concerns about
>groundwater p'looshun from Silicon Valley industries have
>only gotten more strident in the intervening time.

Don't forget our very own happy fun Superfund site, Moffett Field.

rone
--
MIS EN BOUTEILLE AU DOMAINE <ro...@ennui.org>

Veronique

Feb 7, 2009, 3:12:48 AM2/7/09
On Feb 6, 6:12 pm, geo...@lava.net (Geoff Miller) wrote:

> axlq <a...@spamcop.net> writes:
> > The water tastes great although my tests show the Safeway
> > machines put out purer water (1 ppm TDS from Safeway vs 9
> > ppm TDS from my RO machine).  But those machines at Safeway
> > have more stages to their filtration.
>
> How do you test that?  Does OSH or somebody sell kits?
>
> What's TDS?

"total dissolved solids"

V.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep

Peter Lawrence

Feb 7, 2009, 3:39:05 AM2/7/09
Geoff Miller wrote:
> Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> writes:
>>
>> I don't drink oj for that reason. It spikes blood sugar.
>
> Is that bad for anyone who isn't a diabetic?

Yes, that's how one becomes a diabetic.

Too much sugar in one's diet can lead to insulin resistance which
eventually can lead to Type 2 diabetes and heart disease.

Of course an occasional large glass of orange juice is not going to
directly lead to diabetes or any other chronic illness. But ingesting
so much sugar into one's body all at once is definitely not a good
thing. It's a shock to one's metabolism, something our body is still
not equipped to handle gracefully after all these years of evolution.

But if you drink your OJ while enjoying a meal with plenty of protein
and/or fat then your blood sugar won't spike so high. [IOW, be sure to
enjoy your morning OJ with bacon, eggs or sausage. :) ]

- Peter

SMS

Feb 7, 2009, 10:44:45 AM2/7/09
rone wrote:
> In article <xK2dnYaFCZGTcBHU...@posted.lavanet>,
> Geoff Miller <geo...@lava.net> wrote:
>> But that was twenty years ago, and I'm sure concerns about
>> groundwater p'looshun from Silicon Valley industries have
>> only gotten more strident in the intervening time.
>
> Don't forget our very own happy fun Superfund site, Moffett Field.

Lots more in Silicon Valley than just that one. However it's probably
gotten better as semiconductor manufacturing has disappeared from the
valley, and the sites have been cleaned as much as is possible.

Ciccio

Feb 7, 2009, 1:29:04 PM2/7/09
On Feb 7, 12:39 am, Peter Lawrence <hummb...@aol.com> wrote:
> Geoff Miller wrote:
> > Dan Abel  <da...@sonic.net> writes:
>
> >> I don't drink oj for that reason.  It spikes blood sugar.
>
> > Is that bad for anyone who isn't a diabetic?
>
> Yes, that's how one becomes a diabetic.
>
> Too much sugar in one's diet can lead to insulin resistance which
> eventually can lead to Type 2 diabetes and heart disease.

I think that has been largely debunked, or, at least, been put in the
very iffy category. For sure, obesity and lack of exercise dwarf sugar
consumption as a Type 2 diabetes risk factor.

Ciccio

Dan Abel

Feb 7, 2009, 2:57:15 PM2/7/09
In article
<d10bedd2-e998-4a48...@r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
Ciccio <franc...@comcast.net> wrote:

To the extent that sugar makes you fat, it causes diabetes. That is
*really* simplified. Here's some info about risk factors for diabetes.
Note that sugar is not mentioned:

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/DM/pubs/riskfortype2/

The above site has information (more pages) about many other things
associated with diabetes. There is no reference to sugar causing
insulin resistance in the two that I looked at (one about insulin
resistance, and one about sugar).

Steve Fenwick

Feb 7, 2009, 9:35:21 PM2/7/09
SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> spamtr...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > If you hate the taste of your tap water, you can always fill your
> > own
> > containers from various water stores/machines.
>
> That's true, but it's quite a hassle to deal with that. An r-o system
> is
> less than $200, and will certainly be cheaper in the long run than
> those
> machines.

What's the recurring maintenance like (replacement filters?) on a
reverse osmosis unit?

Steve

--
Chip shots; chocolate; "Woo hoo, what a ride!"

Peter Lawrence

Feb 7, 2009, 10:12:51 PM2/7/09
Ciccio wrote:
> On Feb 7, 12:39 am, Peter Lawrence <hummb...@aol.com> wrote:
>> Geoff Miller wrote:

>>> Is that bad for anyone who isn't a diabetic?
>>
>> Yes, that's how one becomes a diabetic.
>>
>> Too much sugar in one's diet can lead to insulin resistance which
>> eventually can lead to Type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
>
> I think that has been largely debunked, or, at least, been put in the
> very iffy category.

No it hasn't. It's been repeatedly dismissed by many in the "medical
establishment", but it has never been debunked by any scientific study.

> For sure, obesity and lack of exercise dwarf sugar
> consumption as a Type 2 diabetes risk factor.

One of the main causes of obesity (if not the main cause) is having an
abnormally high level of insulin in one's blood. This shuts down the
burning (oxidation) of fat from one's adipose (fat) tissue and actually
tells the body to create even more fat. And what causes one to have a
high level of insulin in one's blood? Eating too many carbs, especially
refined carbs like sugar and high fructose corn syrup. This is basic
Endocrinology 101.

One of the main reasons why people become obese is because they eat too
many carbs, especially refined carbs.

- Peter

Peter Lawrence

Feb 7, 2009, 11:54:16 PM2/7/09
Dan Abel wrote:

> To the extent that sugar makes you fat, it causes diabetes. That is
> *really* simplified. Here's some info about risk factors for diabetes.
> Note that sugar is not mentioned:
>
> http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/DM/pubs/riskfortype2/
>
> The above site has information (more pages) about many other things
> associated with diabetes. There is no reference to sugar causing
> insulin resistance in the two that I looked at (one about insulin
> resistance, and one about sugar).

Unfortunately, the powers that be at the National Institutes of Health
(NIH) for various philosophical, political and financial (but *not*
scientific) reasons have tried to downplay the negative effects that
sugar, refined carbs, and carbs in general have on people's health.

One of the main philosophical reasons is that they and many others in
the medical establishment have come to believe on the basis of the
flimsiest of scientific evidence that too much fat in the diet is the
cause of obesity, heart disease, and many other chronic illnesses.
Because they firmly believe (despite little scientific evidence to
support their hypothesis) that fat is the root of all that is evil in
the modern American diet, they have dismissed out of hand (without any
scientific study back up their assertions) that sugar and other refined
carbs should not be blamed for the obesity and diabetes epidemic that
our nation is experiencing -- that it is the excess of fat in the
American diet that is so bad.

If you want to get into the nitty-gritty aspects on how all this came
about, I recommend that you read cover-to-cover science journalist Gary
Taubes' book: "Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the
Controversial Science of Diet and Health"

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-Bad-Controversial-Science/dp/1400033462/

In the book, Taubes describes in very thorough and documented detail how
today's medical establishment had come to believe, despite clear
scientific evidence to the contrary, that fat -- not carbs -- was what
was bad in the American diet.

Then he goes about detailing the actual real science behind the cause of
obesity in humans. This is all based on a thorough review of all the
scientific research of obesity and chronic diseases of civilization
(like diabetes and heart disease) that was done during the past 150
years and on hundreds of interviews he conducted with the scientists and
physicians who had written about or conducted research and/or studies in
this or related fields.

He did a quite in-depth job in describing this controversy and its
history in all its gory detail. I highly recommend this book to anyone
who wants to gain a thorough understanding of where the actual
scientific evidence points to in this debate.

It's a good and enlightening read.

- Peter

Ciccio

Feb 8, 2009, 12:20:09 AM2/8/09
On Feb 7, 7:12 pm, Peter Lawrence <hummb...@aol.com> wrote:
> Ciccio wrote:

> >> Yes, that's how one becomes a diabetic.
>
> >> Too much sugar in one's diet can lead to insulin resistance which
> >> eventually can lead to Type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
>
> > I think that has been largely debunked, or, at least, been put in the
> > very iffy category.
>
> No it hasn't.  It's been repeatedly dismissed by many in the "medical
> establishment", but it has never been debunked by any scientific study.
>
> > For sure, obesity and lack of exercise dwarf sugar
> > consumption as a Type 2 diabetes risk factor.
>
> One of the main causes of obesity (if not the main cause) is having an
> abnormally high level of insulin in one's blood.

Consume more calories and/or exercise less, surpasses that or any
other cause of obesity for the vast majority of the population. Sure,
a few others have conditions requiring medical expertise.

Ciccio

SMS

Feb 8, 2009, 7:15:24 AM2/8/09

It could be an indirect cause, for those that are eating too much sugar
and becoming obese as it turns to fat due to lack of exercise. High
carbohydrate diets also are an indirect cause. Also glucosamine supplements.

Steve Pope

Feb 8, 2009, 12:15:37 PM2/8/09
SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

>Ciccio wrote:

Glucosamine supplements? Can you expand on that?

I find it interesting that medical science can spend a trillion dollars
on research and still have no idea why T2D had almost zero
prevalence a century ago and is highly prevalent now.

Steve

Ciccio

Feb 8, 2009, 12:59:12 PM2/8/09
On Feb 8, 4:15 am, SMS <scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:

> It could be an indirect cause, for those that are eating too much sugar
> and becoming obese as it turns to fat due to lack of exercise.

That would be nice if obese and inactive people could avoid diabetes
by just avoiding sugar. Unfortunately, even people who consume little
sugar/carbs/starches, but who are obese and sedentary, have a great
risk of Type 2 diabetes. However, people who are of normal weight with
normal physical activity, can consume much of those substances and are
still have a very low risk of acquiring Type 2 diabetes.

> High carbohydrate diets also are an indirect cause. Also glucosamine supplements.

Likewise as to people getting fat on a high protein diet and not
moving their ass.

Ciccio

comme...@yahoo.com

Feb 8, 2009, 1:13:24 PM2/8/09
On Feb 7, 12:39 am, Peter Lawrence <hummb...@aol.com> wrote:

While attending a paramedics meeting, someone who had been in Iraq
told the story of a marine who chugged down a bottle of a sports drink
(loaded with hfcs) after a period of dehydration and died from
something dramatic (heart attack or something, forgot)

SMS

Feb 8, 2009, 2:06:38 PM2/8/09
comme...@yahoo.com wrote:

> While attending a paramedics meeting, someone who had been in Iraq
> told the story of a marine who chugged down a bottle of a sports drink
> (loaded with hfcs) after a period of dehydration and died from
> something dramatic (heart attack or something, forgot)

Which sports drink is loaded with HFCS? It's not Gatorade. Gatorade has
lots of sugars, but nothing as concentrated as HFCS.

And of course this person could have died from chugging plain water as well.

Dan Abel

Feb 8, 2009, 2:52:43 PM2/8/09
In article <P1Gjl.10087$hc1....@flpi150.ffdc.sbc.com>,
SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> comme...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > While attending a paramedics meeting, someone who had been in Iraq
> > told the story of a marine who chugged down a bottle of a sports drink
> > (loaded with hfcs) after a period of dehydration and died from
> > something dramatic (heart attack or something, forgot)
>
> Which sports drink is loaded with HFCS? It's not Gatorade. Gatorade has
> lots of sugars, but nothing as concentrated as HFCS.

HFCS is simply a mix of glucose and fructose, made from corn and
dissolved in water. HFCS is not "more concentrated", it is simply
sugar. In fact, an ordinary bag of sugar could be considered more
concentrated, since it is not dissolved in water. Analysis (and facts
about content of a particular sample of HFCS) are usually expressed as
"dry" weight.

HFCS is used in the US because it is cheaper than sucrose. Other
countries use sucrose as a sweetener, because it is cheaper. The US
pays twice the world price for sugar due to tariffs and trade
restrictions.

Ciccio

Feb 8, 2009, 2:53:55 PM2/8/09
On Feb 8, 9:15 am, spop...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:

> Glucosamine supplements?  Can you expand on that?
>
> I find it interesting that medical science can spend a trillion dollars
> on research and still have no idea why T2D had almost zero
> prevalence a century ago and is highly prevalent now.

I wouldn't say no idea. A century ago people were far more physically
active and the rate of obesity was much lower. Forget a century ago,
since just a half century ago obesity has increased about 200%.

Ciccio

Steve Pope

Feb 8, 2009, 2:57:22 PM2/8/09
Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:

>HFCS is simply a mix of glucose and fructose, made from corn and
>dissolved in water. HFCS is not "more concentrated", it is simply
>sugar.

That's a little misleading. It has a higher fraction of
fructose than normal sugar, which is only 50%. That higher
fraction is metabolically significant in some situations.

Steve

Dan Abel

Feb 8, 2009, 4:20:12 PM2/8/09
In article
<87625ee0-b8dc-426c...@v39g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
Ciccio <franc...@comcast.net> wrote:

Just guessing, but I don't think there's a big incentive to diagnosis
diseases for which there is no treatment. 100 years ago, type I
diabetics were left to die:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin

Type II diabetics are now diagnosed very aggressively, because their
lives can be helped considerably now. I'm sure that the negative impact
of Type II diabetes was not understood very well back then.

Dan Abel

Feb 8, 2009, 5:22:55 PM2/8/09
In article <gmndf2$8c1$1...@blue.rahul.net>,
spo...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:

HFCS is a whole family!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fructose_corn_syrup

"The most common types of high-fructose corn syrup are: HFCS 90 (mostly
for making HFCS 55), approximately 90% fructose and 10% glucose; HFCS 55
(mostly used in soft drinks), approximately 55% fructose and 45%
glucose; and HFCS 42 (used in most foods and baked goods), approximately
42% fructose and 58% glucose.[3]"

I'm not sure that 55% fructose is significantly different than the 50%
fructose that results from the breakdown of sucrose (regular sugar).
There would be a much greater difference if you (the generic you) don't
buy your kid a 40oz Super Gulp and instead give the kids a small apple.
Apples, although high in fructose (normally called "fruit sugar") don't
hit the body the same way.

Steve Pope

Feb 8, 2009, 6:29:40 PM2/8/09
Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:

> Ciccio <franc...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> > I find it interesting that medical science can spend a trillion dollars
>> > on research and still have no idea why T2D had almost zero
>> > prevalence a century ago and is highly prevalent now.

>> I wouldn't say no idea. A century ago people were far more physically
>> active and the rate of obesity was much lower. Forget a century ago,
>> since just a half century ago obesity has increased about 200%.

>Just guessing, but I don't think there's a big incentive to diagnosis
>diseases for which there is no treatment. 100 years ago, type I
>diabetics were left to die:
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin
>
>Type II diabetics are now diagnosed very aggressively, because their
>lives can be helped considerably now. I'm sure that the negative impact
>of Type II diabetes was not understood very well back then.

Even factoring in higher diagnosis rates, it appears there
is way, way more T2D than was the case a century ago.

But you do touch upon an important point. One of the reasons
healthcare costs have expanded is a rise in the "treated disease
incidence". Diabetes is a big part of this. (One would hope
more treatment might save costs, but apparently that
isn't happening.)

Steve

Nate Edel

Feb 9, 2009, 7:08:36 PM2/9/09
Steve Fenwick <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Karen <kso...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > The other day when I was watching "Mad Men," I noticed the housewife
> > was making orange juice from frozen concentrate. I haven't seen people
> > make orange juice like that for a long time.
>
> You mean, a can of frozen concentrate and three cans of water? Shoot,
> that's our usual method. That way we can keep lots on hand without it
> going bad or taking up a lot of space.

Not my usual method, but a fallback that I use every so often when I don't
have time to run to the store for fresher stuff. Ditto a few other fruit
juices - I probably do apple juice from concentrate more often than orange.

--
Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/
preferred email |

Nate Edel

Feb 9, 2009, 7:11:56 PM2/9/09
Steve Fenwick <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Show of hands: how many buy bottled, how many buy frozen, and how many
> buy both regularly?

I mostly buy cartons of whichever NFC is cheapest at whatever store I'm at
(usually Tropicana, but sometimes Simply Orange or Trader Joe's.)

I pick up a can or two of frozen concentrated per year, vs about a half
gallon a week of the fresh stuff.

Nate Edel

Feb 9, 2009, 7:14:15 PM2/9/09
SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> Don't most people have reverse osmosis systems in the bay area for
> drinking water? Or maybe I spend too much time around the same circle of
> friends and relatives that all installed the Premier r-o systems from
> Costco.

I've just got one of those Pur tap-mount filters. Didn't find it all that
worthwhile up in the city when I lived there, but it does quite nicely in
getting rid of the funky taste of Foster City water.

Karen

Feb 10, 2009, 11:03:36 AM2/10/09
On Feb 6, 11:28 am, a...@spamcop.net (axlq) wrote:
> Was that before they started loading it up with chloramines?
>
> I'm in Mountain View.  Tasting the tap water side by side with the
> water coming out of the reverse osmosis filter is no contest.  The
> tap water tastes bad, as if it were laced with solvents and metals.
> But it's a slight taste, only noticeable if you have pure water for
> comparison.

I moved from Mtn View to San Jose on Jan. 1st. I never noticed a taste
of solvents and metals in the MV water at all. I lived in MV more than
half of my life (weirdness!) But, I've not done a side-by-side water
taste test with the reverse osmosis and MV tap.

I've tasted the reverse osmosis water at my friend Cheryl's SJ house
and, well, she swears by it, like you do, and it's what Cheryl told
her boyfriend that it was what she wanted for her birthday present
this last year in their new house, but I would have chosen jewelry
instead myself which wins the longest run-on sentence in the world.

Karen

axlq

Feb 10, 2009, 9:00:54 PM2/10/09
In article <b54d550e-3be5-456e...@y23g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,

Karen <kso...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Feb 6, 11:28 am, a...@spamcop.net (axlq) wrote:
>> Was that before they started loading it up with chloramines?
>>
>> I'm in Mountain View.  Tasting the tap water side by side with the
>> water coming out of the reverse osmosis filter is no contest.  The
>> tap water tastes bad, as if it were laced with solvents and metals.
>> But it's a slight taste, only noticeable if you have pure water for
>> comparison.
>
>I moved from Mtn View to San Jose on Jan. 1st. I never noticed a taste
>of solvents and metals in the MV water at all.

Well, I'll admit that Mtn View tap water tastes fine on its own,
and I never noticed any odd taste about until we installed the RO
filter. The water from the filter is so noticeably better that I
usually now prefer it to most other drinks. Straight, no ice.

-A

teay...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2015, 7:46:18 PM10/27/15
Hey Steve I was looking for the same old school frozen strawberrys. They were the best. Can't remember the company. Also, looked every where for them. I can't find anything compares.

Rhoda Farbowitz

Mar 13, 2023, 1:15:17 PM3/13/23
On Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 8:35:26 PM UTC-5, Kelly Bee wrote:
> On Feb 2, 9:22 pm, Steve Fenwick <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> > A long time ago, "frozen strawberries" meant sliced strawberries in
> > heavy syrup, frozen into a rectangular cardboard sleeve with metal
> > endcaps. They were really sweet, and packed nicely in a freezer.
> >
> > Lately, "frozen strawberries" mostly means whole (sometimes sliced)
> > strawberries in no syrup/sauce, in a bag. Safeway/Von's seems to be the
> > hold-out, with frozen strawberries in syrup (beware the ersatz version
> > sweetened with Splenda!), but in tubs which are larger and don't pack as
> > efficiently.
> >
> > Does anyone still sell the old-school style?
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > --
> > steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
> I've seen these in the five-gallon size, but only through the
> restaurant supply companies. Maybe Smart 'n Final or some such place
> has them, perhaps even in more efficient sizes.
i cant remember the company or name i believe it started with a F ... does anyone remember the name?

Julian Macassey

Mar 14, 2023, 7:53:03 AM3/14/23
On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 10:15:16 -0700 (PDT),
Rhoda Farbowitz <realto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 8:35:26 PM UTC-5, Kelly Bee wrote:
>> On Feb 2, 9:22 pm, Steve Fenwick <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> > A long time ago, "frozen strawberries" meant sliced strawberries in
>> > heavy syrup, frozen into a rectangular cardboard sleeve with metal
>> > endcaps. They were really sweet, and packed nicely in a freezer.
>> >
>> > Lately, "frozen strawberries" mostly means whole (sometimes sliced)
>> > strawberries in no syrup/sauce, in a bag. Safeway/Von's seems to be the
>> > hold-out, with frozen strawberries in syrup (beware the ersatz version
>> > sweetened with Splenda!), but in tubs which are larger and don't pack as
>> > efficiently.
>> >
>> > Does anyone still sell the old-school style?
>> >
>> I've seen these in the five-gallon size, but only through the
>> restaurant supply companies. Maybe Smart 'n Final or some such place
>> has them, perhaps even in more efficient sizes.

> i cant remember the company or name i believe it started with a F
> ... does anyone remember the name?

Over fourteen years ago the question was raised, about
frozed strawberres in syrup. Someone using the Gogglemonsters
attempt to hijack usenet replied on 13th of March 2023.

This is a common response from people reading usenet via
Goggle.

Am I to assume, goggle doesn't post with headers showing the
date?

--
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his
salary depends upon his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair