tapas food in the bayarea

sk

Oct 31, 2000, 3:21:18 AM10/31/00
Hi I'm looking to find good tapas spanish style restaurant in sfo-sjo
area.

dke...@best.com

Oct 31, 2000, 3:05:12 PM10/31/00
In article <39FE80FE...@hotmail.com>, sk <suthe...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Hi I'm looking to find good tapas spanish style restaurant in sfo-sjo
>area.

My favorite is Alegrias, on Lombard in the marina.

Here's what I wrote about it on the Well after I ate
there in June:

I recently tried Alegrias, a Spanish restaurant I had never
heard anything about on Lombard in the Marina. Did so on the
recommendation of the Chron, whose review said the tapas were
good but stay away from the paella.

So we did exactly taht.

Small, family run place. Quieter and more relaxed than the
other tapas places I've been to. Nice ambience with candles
on the tables and art on the walls.

We had mostly seafood, including a dish with clams and snails
as well as the daily special of scallops with serrano ham. They
also have some meaty tapas and vegetable ones too.

All were good.

And they had quite a variety of tapas, including ones with octopus,
quail, tripe, and rabbit in them. Some things I'd never seen before.
It all seemed authentic to my untrained eye and palate.

I didn't try the sangria, but those that did said it was good. They
didn't seem blown away by it.

I also didn't have any dessert, but those that did said it was
better than the tapas were. The unanimous favorite was the crepes
filled with dulce de leche and yeah, they did look awfully good.

For now, this is my favorite tapas place in the city, beating out
Thirsty Bear, Cha Cha Cha, and Esperpento. I have not yet tried
Timo's or Zarzuela so don't know how those fit in.

This is Alegrias, 2018 Lombard. 415.929.8888.

--
Dave Eisen Sequoia Peripherals: (408) 752-1400
dke...@well.com

Chester

Oct 31, 2000, 6:00:01 PM10/31/00
On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 00:21:18 -0800, sk <suthe...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi I'm looking to find good tapas spanish style restaurant in sfo-sjo
>area.

Are you trying to ask about tapas places in San Francisco and San Jose
or are you one of those people who refer to cities by their airport
codes. I thought it was a tall tale till now...

Chester

A. Sears

Oct 31, 2000, 5:09:48 PM10/31/00

Oh, it's a real phenomenon, and I assure you it makes my teeth itch as
much as it does yours. Although I'm not sure exactly what airport "sjo"
refers to.

But to answer the original poster, I'm not aware of any tapas /
spanish-style restaurants in the vicinity of either San Francisco
International Airport or ... whatever other airport you were referring
to. Maybe if you catch a shuttle into town, you might find a couple.

Chester

Oct 31, 2000, 7:22:35 PM10/31/00
On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 14:09:48 -0800, "A. Sears" <sra...@ten.tenew>
wrote:

(On folks referring to metropolitan areas by the code of the nearest
airport)

>Oh, it's a real phenomenon, and I assure you it makes my teeth itch as
>much as it does yours. Although I'm not sure exactly what airport "sjo"
>refers to.

I imagined he meant San Jose...what is San Jose's code...SJX?

>Maybe if you catch a shuttle into town, you might find a couple.

Yeah. I liked Picasso's a lot on Santa Clara St. in Downtown SJ. And
it's actually pretty close to the airport...

Chester

pet...@nospam.csus.edu

Oct 31, 2000, 6:27:24 PM10/31/00
On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:22:35 -0800, Chester <chester [at]
mushroomgravy [dot] org> wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 14:09:48 -0800, "A. Sears" <sra...@ten.tenew>
>wrote:
>
>(On folks referring to metropolitan areas by the code of the nearest
>airport)
>>Oh, it's a real phenomenon, and I assure you it makes my teeth itch as
>>much as it does yours. Although I'm not sure exactly what airport "sjo"
>>refers to.
>
>I imagined he meant San Jose...what is San Jose's code...SJX?

SJC

Meg Worley

Oct 31, 2000, 8:08:45 PM10/31/00

Chester writes:
>Yeah. I liked Picasso's a lot on Santa Clara St. in Downtown SJ. And
>it's actually pretty close to the airport...

Ooh, I think Picasso is narsty. Any place that bills itself
as a Spanish and tapas joint but doesn't have olives anywhere
in the kitchen (I kid you not -- that's what the manager
insisted: Spanish food doesn't use olives. Right. And
Indian doesn't use ghee) should be written off, with extreme
prejudice.

The olive-free food we had there was bland and blah too.
Hobee's could make a better tortilla de patata, using
directions phoned in from Bhutan, translated into Yoruba.

Rage away,

meg

--

Meg Worley _._ m...@steam.stanford.edu _._ Comparatively Literate

Chester

Oct 31, 2000, 9:56:47 PM10/31/00
On 31 Oct 2000 17:08:45 -0800, m...@steam.stanford.edu (Meg Worley)
wrote:

>Ooh, I think Picasso is narsty. Any place that bills itself
>as a Spanish and tapas joint but doesn't have olives anywhere
>in the kitchen

Hm, well, maybe it's not authentic, but it doesn't mean that it's not
good...

>The olive-free food we had there was bland and blah too.

Hm, well, maybe it's not good, but...

Seriously, I enjoyed myself there. But I'm not really the right
person to testify here since I don't exactly consider Spanish food to
be King of the Hill or Top of the Heap insofar as the totem pole of
global cuisine goes.

Also, keep in mind that we're talking Downtown San Jose here, and with
all deference to Bob K. and with the exception of A.P. Stump's, I
lower my expectations as soon as I roll off the 87 off-ramp onto Santa
Clara St.

But, I won't back off too much. I liked Picasso's. The only
complaint I had with the place was against its sangria, which my
friend deemed to be the worst sangria he'd ever had. Notwithstanding,
I had a fine meal there.

Chester

Michael Dix

Oct 31, 2000, 9:29:58 PM10/31/00
A. Sears wrote:

> > On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 00:21:18 -0800, sk <suthe...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi I'm looking to find good tapas spanish style restaurant in sfo-sjo
> > >area.

> Oh, it's a real phenomenon, and I assure you it makes my teeth itch as

> much as it does yours. Although I'm not sure exactly what airport "sjo"
> refers to.
>
> But to answer the original poster, I'm not aware of any tapas /
> spanish-style restaurants in the vicinity of either San Francisco
> International Airport or ... whatever other airport you were referring
> to. Maybe if you catch a shuttle into town, you might find a couple.

The "other" San Jose of course: San Jose, Costa Rica. If you're
going that far for tapas, you'd might as well go to Spain, IMHO.

eis...@slacvx.slac.stanford.edu

Oct 31, 2000, 8:32:31 PM10/31/00
In article <8tnqet$4...@steam.stanford.edu>, m...@steam.stanford.edu (Meg Worley) writes:

> Chester writes:
>>Yeah. I liked Picasso's a lot on Santa Clara St. in Downtown SJ. And
>>it's actually pretty close to the airport...
>
> Ooh, I think Picasso is narsty. Any place that bills itself
> as a Spanish and tapas joint but doesn't have olives anywhere
> in the kitchen (I kid you not -- that's what the manager
> insisted: Spanish food doesn't use olives. Right. And
> Indian doesn't use ghee) should be written off, with extreme
> prejudice.
>
> The olive-free food we had there was bland and blah too.
> Hobee's could make a better tortilla de patata, using
> directions phoned in from Bhutan, translated into Yoruba.

Ghee whiz, Meg -- does one have to be a comparative linguist to order tapas?

If not, are there any good places short of going to SF? I've passed by a
place on B St. in San Mateo, but I've never tried it (also I've forgotten
its name).
--

Al Eisner
San Mateo County, CA

Meg Worley

Oct 31, 2000, 10:19:26 PM10/31/00

I wrote:
>> Hobee's could make a better tortilla de patata, using
>> directions phoned in from Bhutan, translated into Yoruba.

>Ghee whiz, Meg -- does one have to be a comparative linguist to order tapas?
>
>If not, are there any good places short of going to SF? I've passed by a
>place on B St. in San Mateo, but I've never tried it (also I've forgotten
>its name).

I've been wanting to try that place out too. First person to
try it reports back, eh?

Picasso was good before it moved; when they first opened,
their menu was the same as Esperpento up in the city, and
the quality was almost as good. But now that they're in
the new location -- uck.

Bob R. Kenyon

Oct 31, 2000, 11:25:10 PM10/31/00
In article <oeouvsk7ha67gpecn...@4ax.com>, Chester
<chester [at] mushroomgravy [dot] org> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 14:09:48 -0800, "A. Sears" <sra...@ten.tenew>
> wrote:
>
> (On folks referring to metropolitan areas by the code of the nearest
> airport)
> >Oh, it's a real phenomenon, and I assure you it makes my teeth itch as
> >much as it does yours. Although I'm not sure exactly what airport "sjo"
> >refers to.
>
> I imagined he meant San Jose...what is San Jose's code...SJX?

SJC.

--
Bob R. Kenyon
Beautiful Downtown San Jose, CA

John Eisenman

Oct 31, 2000, 11:05:57 PM10/31/00
sk wrote:

> Hi I'm looking to find good tapas spanish style restaurant in sfo-sjo
> area.

You'll have a variety of choices in San Francisco, and somewhat
surprisingly,
there are still more new tapas places opening (not even including those
with
tapas-inspired menus). ;-)

Here's a brief description of some of the SF places that I am familiar
with;
choose the one that appeals to you.

Esperpento/Picaro
Two sister restaurants off Valencia street, same menu. Inexpensive and
cash only.
Early additions to the tapas trend (which got it's SF start on Valencia
street).
Esperpento is smaller and has a better atmosphere, but there will be a
wait most
evenings. Tapas appear to be a bit less authentic than at some of the
other places.
A recent menu changed has put an emphasis on combination plates ...
which is pretty
authentic for neighborhood places in Spain. A very good deal at lunch
time; about
$7.00 for a main course and two sides; about $11 at dinner. On a recent
visit, my
waiter was actually Spanish!

http://bayarea.citysearch.com/E/V/SFOCA/0000/20/09/cs1.html
http://picaro.citysearch.com/
http://esperpento.citysearch.com/

Timo's
Another Valencia street tapas places. Prices are a bit higher than at
Esperpento,
but it's still a very casual atmosphere. The place is a bit darker, and
the feel
is more in keeping with Valencia street. It's also been around a while
at this
location (a second one briefly opened in a more touristy part of town).
Although
I'm told that the owner is actually Peruvian, it strikes me as having a
more
authentic Spanish flavor. Less concessions to American tastes, and more
variety
in the tapas. Also, a better wine selection and a full bar.

http://bayarea.citysearch.com/E/V/SFOCA/0003/54/89/cs1.html

Thirsty Bear
Loud and smacking of marketing ... it's a combined Tapas bar and brew
pub. It's
more polished and more pricey than the other two. It draws a heavy
after-work
crowd. There are some very authentic and well prepared dishes on the
menu; good
food, but poor atmosphere (in the evening). More relaxed at lunch. The
head
chef (from Catalan) left a year or so back, and I have found the cooking
and
service to have slipped a bit. Perhaps no longer worth the
atmosphere/prices.

http://bayarea.citysearch.com/E/V/SFOCA/0005/26/47/cs1.html

-j

--
John A. Eisenman
SF, CA, USA

dke...@best.com

Nov 1, 2000, 12:04:47 AM11/1/00
In article <BoCxJv...@slacvx.slac.stanford.edu>,

<eis...@slacvx.slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

>If not, are there any good places short of going to SF? I've passed by a
>place on B St. in San Mateo, but I've never tried it (also I've forgotten
>its name).

I've been to Tazza's a couple times. Perfectly OK, nothing special.

David DiGiacomo

Nov 1, 2000, 12:32:20 AM11/1/00
In article <8tn8lo$161r$1...@nntp1.ba.best.com>, <dke...@best.com> wrote:
>My favorite is Alegrias, on Lombard in the marina.
>
>Here's what I wrote about it on the Well after I ate
>there in June:
>
> I recently tried Alegrias, a Spanish restaurant I had never
> heard anything about on Lombard in the Marina. Did so on the
> recommendation of the Chron, whose review said the tapas were
> good but stay away from the paella.

Well, you missed out -- I have had the paella there a few times and I
think it is fine.

--
David DiGiacomo, San Francisco, CA

Todd Michel McComb

Nov 1, 2000, 1:35:32 AM11/1/00
In article <8to89g$2en1$1...@nntp1.ba.best.com>, <dke...@best.com> wrote:
>I've been to Tazza's a couple times. Perfectly OK, nothing special.

Yeah, I was there... posted about it here. It was a pretty good
meal, with an Argentinian slant to the menu (I know I've mentioned
this at least 3 times). I wouldn't call it great, but I'd go again
if I was in the area. Beware, the bottom floor is a dance club.
Dinner is upstairs.

Vincent Lo

Nov 1, 2000, 5:00:47 AM11/1/00
How about Thirsty Bear in SofM in the city? My friend and I had to stand up
and eat after a while, cause those stools are so uncomfortable. Chronicle
puts this place in its Top 100 list this year.

Vincent Lo
v...@cs.stanford.edu

"sk" <suthe...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

bremer

Nov 1, 2000, 11:59:07 AM11/1/00
to Che...@ix.netcom.com
SJC

mag...@rahul.net

Nov 1, 2000, 12:06:04 PM11/1/00
On 31 Oct 2000 22:35:32 -0800, in ba.food, mcc...@medieval.org
(Todd Michel McComb) put fingers to keyboard and typed:

>In article <8to89g$2en1$1...@nntp1.ba.best.com>, <dke...@best.com> wrote:
>>I've been to Tazza's a couple times. Perfectly OK, nothing special.
>
>Yeah, I was there... posted about it here. It was a pretty good
>meal, with an Argentinian slant to the menu (I know I've mentioned
>this at least 3 times). I wouldn't call it great, but I'd go again
>if I was in the area.

Ditto (I've eaten there twice).

jc

--

"I'd much rather be mistaken as a lesbian by a bigot
than be mistaken as a bigot by a lesbian."

Chester

Nov 1, 2000, 2:11:23 PM11/1/00
On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:22:35 -0800, Chester <chester [at]
mushroomgravy [dot] org> wrote:

>I imagined he meant San Jose...what is San Jose's code...SJX?

It's SJC.

Chester

Eddie Dinel

Nov 1, 2000, 9:06:11 PM11/1/00
Chester <chester [at] mushroomgravy [dot] org> writes:
> I won't back off too much. I liked Picasso's. The only
>complaint I had with the place was against its sangria, which my
>friend deemed to be the worst sangria he'd ever had. Notwithstanding,
>I had a fine meal there.

Ah, but has he had the sangria at Nola?
Now *that* is some damned foul sangria.

ObSangria: Picaro, next door to Ti Couz on 16th just off Valencia, has the
best sangria I've ever had. Pretty damned fine food, too. The fried squid
was perfection itself, the potato-onion frittata faaabulous. But the
sangria was the thing we couldn't stop talkin about.

--
| Eddie Dinel + Carpe Canem. |
| edi...@leland.stanford.edu + Seize The Dog. |

g_ba...@ether.com

Nov 1, 2000, 11:09:32 PM11/1/00
In article <amq00tc3t2b8knmdu...@4ax.com>, Chester <chester

[at] mushroomgravy [dot] org> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:22:35 -0800, Chester <chester [at]
> mushroomgravy [dot] org> wrote:
>
> >I imagined he meant San Jose...what is San Jose's code...SJX?
>
> It's SJC.

San Jose, the city of, doesn't have a code. Its initials are SJ. SJC is
"code" for San Jose Airport.

If folks want to abbreviate the name, do so with two letters instead of three?

Todd Michel McComb

Nov 1, 2000, 11:15:32 PM11/1/00
In article <g_bannis-011...@192.168.1.101>,

<g_ba...@ether.com> wrote:
>San Jose, the city of, doesn't have a code. Its initials are SJ.
>SJC is "code" for San Jose Airport.

I hope Chester is proud.

Can anyone help me out with the term for overbearing pride from
ancient Greek drama? I'm sure those of you who don't answer _just
don't know._

ObFood: Pupusas at La Bamba... tasty with lots of cabbage on the
side.

Michael Dix

Nov 1, 2000, 11:29:58 PM11/1/00
> Can anyone help me out with the term for overbearing pride from
> ancient Greek drama? I'm sure those of you who don't answer _just
> don't know._

Well, it would add directionless color to a circumcision.

Chester

Nov 2, 2000, 2:11:32 AM11/2/00
mcc...@medieval.org (Todd Michel McComb) wrote:

>In article <g_bannis-011...@192.168.1.101>,
> <g_ba...@ether.com> wrote:
>>San Jose, the city of, doesn't have a code. Its initials are SJ.
>>SJC is "code" for San Jose Airport.
>
>I hope Chester is proud.

Unbelievably so, though I'm not sure why I'm supposed to be...

>Can anyone help me out with the term for overbearing pride from
>ancient Greek drama? I'm sure those of you who don't answer _just
>don't know._

Huh, and here I thought it was from a bad, latter-day sci-fi
novel/"biography"...

Chester

Meg Worley

Nov 2, 2000, 10:05:30 AM11/2/00

Eddie obs:

>ObSangria: Picaro, next door to Ti Couz on 16th just off Valencia, has the
>best sangria I've ever had. Pretty damned fine food, too. The fried squid
>was perfection itself, the potato-onion frittata faaabulous. But the
>sangria was the thing we couldn't stop talkin about.

Picaro is definitely good, but its location sux -- the lure
of the mushroom crepes and kir breton next door is just too
great to overcome. Ti Couz magnetism strikes again.

Meg Worley

Nov 2, 2000, 10:11:05 AM11/2/00

John writes (idiosyncratic formatting undisturbed):

>Esperpento/Picaro
>Two sister restaurants off Valencia street, same menu. Inexpensive and
>cash only.
>Early additions to the tapas trend (which got it's SF start on Valencia
>street).
>Esperpento is smaller and has a better atmosphere, but there will be a
>wait most
>evenings.

Across the street from Esperpento is a great bar, the Latin-
American Club. If I lived in the area, that would be my local.
The host at Esperpento will come fetch you at the bar when
your number comes up.

>Timo's
>Another Valencia street tapas places. Prices are a bit higher than at
>Esperpento,
>but it's still a very casual atmosphere. The place is a bit darker, and
>the feel
>is more in keeping with Valencia street. It's also been around a while
>at this
>location (a second one briefly opened in a more touristy part of town).
>Although
>I'm told that the owner is actually Peruvian, it strikes me as having a
>more
>authentic Spanish flavor. Less concessions to American tastes, and more
>variety
>in the tapas. Also, a better wine selection and a full bar.

In general, I think Esperpento & Picaro have stronger vegetable
offerings, while Timo's meat dishes are better and more imaginative.

>Thirsty Bear
>Loud and smacking of marketing ... it's a combined Tapas bar and brew
>pub. It's
>more polished and more pricey than the other two. It draws a heavy
>after-work
>crowd. There are some very authentic and well prepared dishes on the
>menu; good
>food, but poor atmosphere (in the evening). More relaxed at lunch. The
>head
>chef (from Catalan) left a year or so back, and I have found the cooking
>and
>service to have slipped a bit. Perhaps no longer worth the
>atmosphere/prices.

I never thought the food was great at Thirsty Bear, and the
beer is sad and bland. It's a good place to go for a pint
after a day at that sad, bland museum around the corner, but
there are probably better places nearby I don't know about.

What I wouldn't give for a good tapas place in the South Pen....

A. Sears

Nov 2, 2000, 11:05:38 AM11/2/00
Meg Worley wrote:

> Eddie obs:
> >ObSangria: Picaro, next door to Ti Couz on 16th just off Valencia, has the
> >best sangria I've ever had. Pretty damned fine food, too.
>
> Picaro is definitely good, but its location sux -- the lure
> of the mushroom crepes and kir breton next door is just too
> great to overcome. Ti Couz magnetism strikes again.

Yabbut ... there's some days when you just don't feel like a crepe. Or,
at least, there's some days when *I* just don't feel like a crepe. The
Ti Couz expansion means that the waits for tables aren't nearly as bad
as they used to be, but still, when it's a little crowded or I'm in the
mood for something different, I'm glad to have Picaro next door and
Sunflower Vietnamese right across the street.

Then again, I live a lot closer to Ti Couz than you do, so it's a lot
easier for me to skip it if I'm in the neighborhood -- after all, I can
always come back tomorrow. If you're not in the area as often and don't
know when you'll be back next, I can understand how you might not want
to miss out.

BTW, this has been mentioned before, but Picaro is a sister restaurant
to Esperpento, located at 22nd (or is it 23rd?) and Valencia.

Meg Worley

Nov 2, 2000, 11:15:33 AM11/2/00

Alex writes:
>Yabbut ... there's some days when you just don't feel like a crepe. ...

>Then again, I live a lot closer to Ti Couz than you do, so it's a lot
>easier for me to skip it if I'm in the neighborhood -- after all, I can
>always come back tomorrow. If you're not in the area as often and don't
>know when you'll be back next, I can understand how you might not want
>to miss out.

Exactly. So far, I'm averaging about one trip to Ti Couz
a year (amortized over the years that we've lived here), and
about the same to Esperpento -- so it would take serious crowds
to drive me from Ti Couz to Picaro.

We really need to get up to the city to eat more often. Any
suggestions for places near the Great American Music Hall
before Sleater-Kinney tonight? (Yeah, I know there was a
thread about that in 1998, and I saved it, but reading over
the suggestions, nothing look promising.)

A. Sears

Nov 2, 2000, 11:56:46 AM11/2/00
Meg Worley wrote:

> Exactly. So far, I'm averaging about one trip to Ti Couz
> a year (amortized over the years that we've lived here), and
> about the same to Esperpento -- so it would take serious crowds
> to drive me from Ti Couz to Picaro.

> We really need to get up to the city to eat more often.

If / when I ever get around to proposing my own ba.food get-together in
my local area, if I make it a Mission food/drink crawl, will you try and
show up?

> Any
> suggestions for places near the Great American Music Hall
> before Sleater-Kinney tonight? (Yeah, I know there was a
> thread about that in 1998, and I saved it, but reading over
> the suggestions, nothing look promising.)

Well, you could always try one of the Vietnamese dives that
SlipperySlope mentioned a couple of weeks ago. No shortage of'em in
that neighborhood.

Edinburgh Castle is only a couple blocks away, on Geary near . They
have good beer, and very nice fish&chips from the Old Chelsea around the
corner. Also close by is Tommy's Joynt for burgers and such.

At Van Ness and Geary is a tapas / Peruvian joint called Fina Estampa,
sister to its Mission district namesake.

A couple blocks south is Backflip, which I haven't been to so can't
really recommend personally. However, they have a decent-looking menu
at http://backflipsf.citysearch.com/6.html .

If you feel like a little nicer cuisine and don't mind walking a few
more blocks, there are a few options:

Stars, Stars Cafe, and Kites (formerly La Jiao, pretty good Chinese/Thai
stuff at a good price and open 'til ) are about four blocks south, on
Golden Gate between Van Ness and Polk.

Across Van Ness, in Opera Plaza, are Vivande and a decent sushi joint
the name of which I forget.

There's a place called "Venture Frogs" inside the 1000 Van Ness cinema
complex. The theme and menu looked just a little too precious for me
when I took a peek inside (last time I went to a movie there), and I
don't guess it's your kind of atmosphere or clientele anyway.

A few blocks north on Polk, there's Mayes Oyster House (near Bush), Swan
Oyster Depot (near California), Crustacean (at California), Cordon Bleu
(on California next to the Lumiere, decent five-spice chicken and
imperial rolls, but those two items make up pretty much the entire
menu), and a pretty decent Thai joint at California and Larkin whose
name I forget. Also, a pretty decent Greek hole in the wall somewhere
around Bush Street: I don't know the name if it even has one, but it's
on the west side of Polk, the sign says "Pizza / Souvlaki", it's got a
big gyro/shawerma monolith turning on a spit in the window and the staff
is friendly.

Will Borgeson

Nov 2, 2000, 12:21:51 PM11/2/00
With all due respect, I don't think that Spanish cuisine is too awfully
far from the top of the heap, if there really is one and I don't think
there is. Spanish food, including tapas, can be memorably drop-dead
delicious! I have yet to taste any in the US (other than at chez Will)
that comes close to the real thing.

Got to second the motion on the mushroom crepes at TiCouz!! Very
happening wine list, too.

Will

orl...@tapasxfood.killspam.us.com

Nov 2, 2000, 12:36:57 PM11/2/00
In article <8tqpp4$g3p$1...@machaut.medieval.org>,

Todd Michel McComb <mcc...@medieval.org> wrote:
>In article <g_bannis-011...@192.168.1.101>,
> <g_ba...@ether.com> wrote:
>>San Jose, the city of, doesn't have a code. Its initials are SJ.
>>SJC is "code" for San Jose Airport.
>
>I hope Chester is proud.
>
>Can anyone help me out with the term for overbearing pride from
>ancient Greek drama? I'm sure those of you who don't answer _just
>don't know._

um it's _hubris_, sometimes linked to _hamartia_.

obfood: grill master in cupertino lost their lease :( although the food at
yas in west sj is good, i don't care for their indifferent service.

obfood2: peet's coffee has made an appearance on the oracle campus. i
sure hope starbuck's gets chased off the campus entirely! ;)

orlando

Chester

Nov 2, 2000, 2:16:28 PM11/2/00
On 2 Nov 2000 17:21:51 GMT, Will Borgeson
<szbo...@sandman.ucdavis.edu> wrote:

>Got to second the motion on the mushroom crepes at TiCouz!! Very
>happening wine list, too.

Mojitos!

Chester

Janice Gelb

Nov 2, 2000, 1:50:15 PM11/2/00
In article 2...@mark.ucdavis.edu, Will Borgeson <szbo...@sandman.ucdavis.edu> writes:
>With all due respect, I don't think that Spanish cuisine is too awfully
>far from the top of the heap, if there really is one and I don't think
>there is. Spanish food, including tapas, can be memorably drop-dead
>delicious! I have yet to taste any in the US (other than at chez Will)
>that comes close to the real thing.

Wish I could remember the name of the Spanish restaurant in
Portland, OR, that did tapas that a local took us to. I still
dream about it...

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janic...@marvin.eng.sun.com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html

"Politics is show business for ugly people" -- James Carville

Chester

Nov 2, 2000, 2:30:46 PM11/2/00
On 2 Nov 2000 08:15:33 -0800, m...@steam.stanford.edu (Meg Worley)
wrote:

>We really need to get up to the city to eat more often. Any
>suggestions for places near the Great American Music Hall
>before Sleater-Kinney tonight?

Sleater-Kinney? I saw them at Gilman Street a few years ago. Didn't
and still don't quite "get" them, but found it amusing that they got a
good write-up in _Time_.

Went to GAMH a couple months ago for Jets to Brazil and we had to get
something to eat before the show. There are a smattering of small
shops five or six blocks east of the place around the big multi-level
parking garage, but we passed them up assuming we'd find something
close.

No dice -- we had Subway sandwiches around the corner. The only other
thing I saw immediately in the vicinity was a liquor store across the
street. There might be something on Van Ness a few blocks west. We
were just too hungry to walk up and look.

Maybe the O'Farrell Theater serves a dinner buffet?

Too bad GAMH isn't like Bottom of the Hill and doesn't serve food
inside...I thought it was a really cool space anyhow...

Chester

Chester

Nov 2, 2000, 2:38:37 PM11/2/00
On Thu, 02 Nov 2000 08:56:46 -0800, "A. Sears" <sra...@ten.tenew>
wrote:
[Asking Meg...]

>If / when I ever get around to proposing my own ba.food get-together in
>my local area, if I make it a Mission food/drink crawl, will you try and
>show up?

If you include Ti Couz, probably, unless she's filled her yearly
quota.

I know I'd go if I could.

[On places to eat near GAMH]
>Well, you could always try...
[Snip exhaustive list of restaurants in an area that I had previously
thought was quite barren.]

Wow, great list...better squirrel it away somewhere...

Chester

Asya Kamsky

Nov 2, 2000, 2:34:48 PM11/2/00
In article <8ts069$i...@steam.stanford.edu>,

Meg Worley <m...@steam.stanford.edu> wrote:
>I never thought the food was great at Thirsty Bear, and the

I don't know, some of their tapas were fantastic. The
two that come to mind are the mushrooms (with garlic,
yum), and the beef and lime something or rather -- all
the beef eaters were always fighting over that one...

There are a few other cold tapas that are very good.
--
Asya Kamsky
webmaster, The Next Generation Swing Dance Club, http://www.tngsdc.org

Asya Kamsky

Nov 2, 2000, 2:39:24 PM11/2/00
In article <3ff30tkcbhiprulbe...@4ax.com>,

Chester <chester [at] mushroomgravy [dot] org> wrote:
>Too bad GAMH isn't like Bottom of the Hill and doesn't serve food
>inside...I thought it was a really cool space anyhow...

The one time I ate at BofH I swore that would be the last. Yeah,
you can't expect much for a $5 all you can eat BBQ, but still...

OB GAMH -- I usually eat South of Market and then go up to
the show. I never had much luck up near there.

Speaking of which, tried to go to Sweet Heat on Polk and Broadway
last night. Which circling around looking for parking noticed
that it looked open but lacked signage. Parked, went it -- it
wasn't Sweet Heat anymore! It was called "Street" or some
such, and had a menu that was nearly identical to SH. We ate
there anyway -- it was decent enough, but I doubt we'd bother
with it again unless we happen to be right there anyway.

Wonder if the Sweet Heat in the Haight is still there...

A. Sears

Nov 2, 2000, 2:40:26 PM11/2/00
Chester wrote:

> On 2 Nov 2000 08:15:33 -0800, m...@steam.stanford.edu (Meg Worley)
> wrote:
>
> >We really need to get up to the city to eat more often. Any
> >suggestions for places near the Great American Music Hall
> >before Sleater-Kinney tonight?
>
> Maybe the O'Farrell Theater serves a dinner buffet?

Don't know, but I believe the tipping policy there might be a little
more than 15%.

I'm not sure what the Health department would have to say about them
either. Do you think a naked food server would need to wear a crotchal
hair net? What if she shaves? And would hand washing be required after
table dancing?

> Too bad GAMH isn't like Bottom of the Hill and doesn't serve food
> inside...

Oh, but they do, for small values of "food". Basic greazy bar menu at:

http://www.riffage.com/gamh/food/0,2972,SHOW_STATE,00.html

A. Sears

Nov 2, 2000, 3:16:17 PM11/2/00
Asya Kamsky wrote:

> Speaking of which, tried to go to Sweet Heat on Polk and Broadway
> last night. Which circling around looking for parking noticed
> that it looked open but lacked signage. Parked, went it -- it
> wasn't Sweet Heat anymore!

I meant to post on this last week but never got around to it, but your
mentioning a closed place on Polk & Broadway jogged my memory:

Memphis Minnie's Barbecue, most recently located at Polk & Broadway,
next to Johnny Love's, has reopened after a hiatus of a year or two
during which the owner/operator did a catering-only business. I'd heard
great things about them in the past, and only stopped by their last
location to give it a try about a week after it shut down. I got on
their mailing list, however, and they mailed me a menu a couple weeks
ago to announce their new opening.

The new location is in the Lower Haight, on Haight Street near Steiner.
It's painted bright red out front, and it's pretty hard to miss. They
do slow-smoked pork and brisket, with the sauce on the side (but it's
great sauce). I got a pork sammitch to bring home, but ended up
ditching the bread after eating the first half because it got in the way
of the delicious meat. The place seems like it'll be pretty good for
eating in, with checkered-cloth picnic tables and a fantastic jukebox
full of blues CDs (they've got one from the original Memphis Minnie, and
one from Etta James way back when she was *skinny*). However, the
ventilation on the smoker could use some work ... if you eat in, you can
expect to have your clothes smelling like smoked meat for the rest of
the day. This may not be a bad thing to some people, however.

Todd Michel McComb

Nov 2, 2000, 3:23:11 PM11/2/00
In article <8tsfko$3bs$1...@localhost.localdomain>,

Asya Kamsky <as...@bayarea.net> wrote:
>In article <8ts069$i...@steam.stanford.edu>,
>Meg Worley <m...@steam.stanford.edu> wrote:
>>I never thought the food was great at Thirsty Bear
>I don't know, some of their tapas were fantastic.

I thought the food was good but not great. The same for the beer.
The combination makes a pretty good combination, but you can get
better of either. I'd go again if I am around there, but I wouldn't
go out of my way to do so. Iberia in Menlo Park had better food,
recent thread aside.

sankkuss

Nov 2, 2000, 4:14:27 PM11/2/00
In article <3A019CCE...@wenet.net>,
"A. Sears" <sra...@ten.tenew> wrote:

> Meg Worley wrote:
> >
> > Any
> > suggestions for places near the Great American Music Hall
> > before Sleater-Kinney tonight? (Yeah, I know there was a
> > thread about that in 1998, and I saved it, but reading over
> > the suggestions, nothing look promising.)
>

> If you feel like a little nicer cuisine and don't mind walking a few
> more blocks, there are a few options:
>
> Across Van Ness, in Opera Plaza, are Vivande and a decent sushi joint
> the name of which I forget.

The sushi place is simply called Tempura House, and I agree, it's good.

The Vivande in Opera Plaza closed in July (way overdue, in my opinion).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mark Mellin

Nov 2, 2000, 4:41:26 PM11/2/00

"A. Sears" <sra...@ten.tenew> writes:

> Stars, Stars Cafe, and Kites (formerly La Jiao, pretty good Chinese/Thai
> stuff at a good price and open 'til ) are about four blocks south, on
> Golden Gate between Van Ness and Polk.

Is there still a Stars Cafe? Last food place I noticed on the
corner of Van Ness and Golden Gate was something called "Sunny Jim's".
It now looks to be a piano merchant. I snacked at Stars after seeing
"The Tsar's Bride" back in September. The place was very nearly empty,
the late night bar snacks were still expensive, but tasty nonetheless.

> Across Van Ness, in Opera Plaza, are Vivande and a decent sushi joint
> the name of which I forget.

There's also a Max's in Opera Plaza, though perhaps your omission
was deliberate.

> Also, a pretty decent Greek hole in the wall somewhere
> around Bush Street: I don't know the name if it even has one,

Steve the Greek's Souvlaki.

> on the west side of Polk, the sign says "Pizza / Souvlaki", it's got a
> big gyro/shawerma monolith turning on a spit in the window and the staff
> is friendly.

Almost too friendly. My wife, Mandy, once popped in for a gyro to
go and was treated to a fifteen minute baklava making demonstration.

Also in the nabe, Bistro Zare, on Polk near the corner of
California, and the Grubstake Diner, on Pine Street between Polk and
Van Ness (open 'til 4 am on weekends).

-----------
Mark Mellin mel...@unix.sri.com
http://www-ael.sri.com
SRI International Menlo Park, CA 94025 USA
The opinions and interests expressed in this post are mine
and do not necessarily reflect those of SRI International.

A. Sears

Nov 2, 2000, 5:00:34 PM11/2/00
Mark Mellin wrote:

> In article <3A019CCE...@wenet.net>
> "A. Sears" <sra...@ten.tenew> writes:
> >
> > Stars, Stars Cafe, and Kites (formerly La Jiao, pretty good Chinese/Thai
> > stuff at a good price and open 'til ) are about four blocks south, on
> > Golden Gate between Van Ness and Polk.
>
> Is there still a Stars Cafe? Last food place I noticed on the
> corner of Van Ness and Golden Gate was something called "Sunny Jim's".

Y'know, it's been a while, so I could have failed to notice the closing
of the Cafe.

> > Across Van Ness, in Opera Plaza, are Vivande and a decent sushi joint
> > the name of which I forget.

I am to understand that Vivande Ristorante is no more in that location.
Damn, I need to update my notes. Any news of whether another resto is
moving into the location?

There's still "Vivande Porta Via" at Fillmore and California. I don't
even know if the two are related.

> There's also a Max's in Opera Plaza, though perhaps your omission
> was deliberate.

I wasn't aware of that Max's, but I wouldn't have mentioned it even if I
had been aware of it. Maybe I've just blocked it out. I ate at Max's
in Walnut Creek six years ago and was thoroughly grossed out. "Big fat
food for big fat fucks" seemed to be the operating theme, and the
quality of the food was nowhere near approaching the quantity.

I'd sooner recommend Chevy's (across Van Ness from Opera Plaza and
within a block or two).

> Steve the Greek's Souvlaki.
>
> > on the west side of Polk, the sign says "Pizza / Souvlaki", it's got a
> > big gyro/shawerma monolith turning on a spit in the window and the staff
> > is friendly.
>
> Almost too friendly. My wife, Mandy, once popped in for a gyro to
> go and was treated to a fifteen minute baklava making demonstration.

I was strolling past with my parents about five years ago and we were
offered shawerma samples for no particular reason. It was tasty enough
that I've popped back in a couple times since. Yes, they do tend to
embody the Zorba spirit to an almost parodic degree.

> Also in the nabe, Bistro Zare, on Polk near the corner of
> California,

I haven't been there yet, and I'm still trying to figure out what the
relationship is between Bistro Zaré on Polk, Zaré on Haight, and Zaré in
the Financial District (on Sacramento near Sansome). I've only eaten at
the one on Sacramento and was very pleased. I seem to remember that
there are two Zaré brothers - the gregarious Hoss Zaré of the FiDi
location and the unknown-to-me <?> Zaré. Which one owns/runs the other
two Zarés, and whether either is as good as the FiDi location, is a
mystery to me.

eis...@slacvx.slac.stanford.edu

Nov 2, 2000, 4:28:03 PM11/2/00
In article <3A01E402...@wenet.net>, "A. Sears" <sra...@ten.tenew> writes:
> I am to understand that Vivande Ristorante is no more in that location.
> Damn, I need to update my notes. Any news of whether another resto is
> moving into the location?

Vivande was one of many SF restaurants I'd mean meaning to try for years.
When I finally decided to do so last month, I found it was gone. At least
my list got shorter!

> There's still "Vivande Porta Via" at Fillmore and California. I don't
> even know if the two are related.

Yes, both owned by Carlo Middione. Vivande Porta Via predated Vivande, and
has been a well-regarded deli as well as serving informal meals. I certainly
enjoyed a fritatta plate I had there for lunch not long ago.

>> There's also a Max's in Opera Plaza, though perhaps your omission
>> was deliberate.
>
> I wasn't aware of that Max's, but I wouldn't have mentioned it even if I
> had been aware of it. Maybe I've just blocked it out. I ate at Max's
> in Walnut Creek six years ago and was thoroughly grossed out. "Big fat
> food for big fat fucks" seemed to be the operating theme, and the
> quality of the food was nowhere near approaching the quantity.
>
> I'd sooner recommend Chevy's (across Van Ness from Opera Plaza and
> within a block or two).

Exactly!

> I haven't been there yet, and I'm still trying to figure out what the
> relationship is between Bistro Zaré on Polk, Zaré on Haight, and Zaré in
> the Financial District (on Sacramento near Sansome). I've only eaten at
> the one on Sacramento and was very pleased. I seem to remember that
> there are two Zaré brothers - the gregarious Hoss Zaré of the FiDi
> location and the unknown-to-me <?> Zaré. Which one owns/runs the other
> two Zarés, and whether either is as good as the FiDi location, is a
> mystery to me.

I was browsing Zagat for restaurants in that area recently -- it says that
Bistro Zare is run by the same people as the Sacramento Zare, but I suppose
they could have been confused if it was a different family member. Two more
places I haven't been to yet! The Bistro was said to be less formal, but
the prices didn't sound cheap.
--
Al Eisner
San Mateo County, CA

Eddie Dinel

Nov 2, 2000, 5:39:03 PM11/2/00
Chester <chester [at] mushroomgravy [dot] org> writes:

>On 2 Nov 2000 08:15:33 -0800, m...@steam.stanford.edu (Meg Worley)
>wrote:
>
>>We really need to get up to the city to eat more often. Any
>>suggestions for places near the Great American Music Hall
>>before Sleater-Kinney tonight?
>
>Sleater-Kinney? I saw them at Gilman Street a few years ago. Didn't
>and still don't quite "get" them, but found it amusing that they got a
>good write-up in _Time_.
>
>Went to GAMH a couple months ago for Jets to Brazil and we had to get
>something to eat before the show. There are a smattering of small
>shops five or six blocks east of the place around the big multi-level
>parking garage, but we passed them up assuming we'd find something
>close.
>
>No dice -- we had Subway sandwiches around the corner. The only other
>thing I saw immediately in the vicinity was a liquor store across the
>street. There might be something on Van Ness a few blocks west. We
>were just too hungry to walk up and look.

Wow.
Mel's is on Van Ness RIGHT THERE, and it's a helluva lot better than
Subway. Course I hate subway.

I hadn't realized crustacean was close by but thinkin about it it sort of
is. Their roast whole crab is worth trying, IMO. Quite tasty.

I generally eat elsewhere in the city and then cab it. And grab food again
at Mel's afterwards, cause I always want mel's after going out in the city.

Eddie Dinel

Nov 2, 2000, 5:40:16 PM11/2/00
Meg Worley <m...@steam.stanford.edu> writes:

>In general, I think Esperpento & Picaro have stronger vegetable
>offerings, while Timo's meat dishes are better and more imaginative.

Buh.
Last time we went to Timo's we must have ordered about as poorly as is
humanly possible, cause, man, we got just a bad bad dinner. I'd had OK
ones there before but never anything *stunning*. Picaro was just better,
IMO.

Chester

Nov 2, 2000, 6:04:05 PM11/2/00
On Wed, 01 Nov 2000 20:09:32 -0800, g_ba...@ether.com wrote:

G. responded to my responding to my own question with...

>San Jose, the city of, doesn't have a code. Its initials are SJ. SJC is
>"code" for San Jose Airport.

Hm. Are you sure about this? Everyone I know uses "SJC," as in:
"Hey, let's go down to 'Ess Jay See' tonight!" And then, inevitably,
someone responds with "Nah, let's go to 'Ess Ef Oh' instead...or
compromise and go to downtown 'Ess En Em.'" And everyone I know of
refers to a Los Angeles emigre as an "Ex-Lax."

>If folks want to abbreviate the name, do so with two letters instead of three?

Oh. Okay. That makes a lot of sense. I never thought of it that
way. But one thing...how should I abbreviate San Luis Obispo?

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows what 1 + 1 equals...?

Chester

Mark Mellin

Nov 2, 2000, 7:35:33 PM11/2/00