Cafe Riace, Palo Alto

David Arnstein

Feb 10, 2018, 7:29:14 PM2/10/18
I have been meaning to try this place for years, motivated by mentions
from people I know. I stopped by for lunch today.

The place is a bit hard to find. It is a few blocks away from California
Ave. and surrounded by office buildings.

There is a pleasant outdoor seating area dominated by a nice big fountain.
Also visible are several iconic Italian objects, including two motor
scooters and a tiny Fiat. The location is sufficiently distant from
major streets that all I could hear was the fountain. Actually, the
fountain is rather loud if you sit right next to it.

It is a pleasant spot. I could have stayed a few hours reading my book
of short stories. The wind was just a bit much though.

No clue about the inside seating.

The bread that was brought out to me was interesting. It had a bunch of
herbs and a bit of sauce on top. Somewhere in the mix was enough chili
powder to really wake up my mouth. This was served with olive oil and
balsamic vinegar, both of decent quality.

The waiter did not offer a wine and beer list. I found that odd, but
perhaps that's the way a Sicilian Trattoria works in Italy. With luck,
Ciccio will elucidate this point. Anyway, the fellow simply asked me
what I wanted (Pinot Noir? Zinfandel?). I named my grape and a glass
appeared. The wine tasted good to me. I have no idea where it came from.

The house salad I ordered was pretty good, including both tomato chunks
and cucumber slices in adequate quantity.

I ordered a fetttucine dish. It was lightly sauced (I believe that that's
how they do it in Italy). This was served with mussels, salmon, small
prawns, and squid. I liked it. I couldn't finish it.

The waiter checked in several times and eventually asked me if I wanted
any coffee. I selected a Cappuccino. It arrived in a big white cup that
said Lavazza on the side. Pretty enough, but the coffee at the bottom
of the cup was nearly tasteless. This was the only disappointing aspect
of my visit.

I found it odd that I was not offered a dessert menu. I mean, business
and sales and all that. No problem for me; if I was capable of onboarding
any sweets I sure as hell would have asked. I just found it odd, that's
all.

$51 including tax. Tim can berate me for that, but I believe that the
place is doing the best that it can. From my table I could see the
offices of a few familiar internet companies. The rent on that big patio
must be astronomical.

I would return. The food was decent and the outdoor seating was the most
pleasant that I have found in recent years.
--
David Arnstein (00)
arnstei...@pobox.com {{ }}

David Arnstein

Feb 10, 2018, 7:30:11 PM2/10/18
Google tells me that the spelling is

Caffe Riace.

Apologies for the error.

sms

Feb 11, 2018, 12:45:08 PM2/11/18
On 2/10/2018 4:29 PM, David Arnstein wrote:

<snip>

> $51 including tax. Tim can berate me for that, but I believe that the
> place is doing the best that it can. From my table I could see the
> offices of a few familiar internet companies. The rent on that big patio
> must be astronomical.
>
> I would return. The food was decent and the outdoor seating was the most
> pleasant that I have found in recent years.

David, please come to Cupertino. We desperately need more people willing
to spend $51 on lunch. Even just $25.

My neighbor took me to Stein's Beer Garden in Cupertino last week, after
I helped him with something. It was lunchtime on Thursday, and it was
empty. The server said that they had cut back their hours and that when
it first opened it was busy all day. But I think it's reasonable to
close between 2 and 5 on weekdays for most restaurants, and not be
paying all that staff when business is very slow. I would have not been
likely to go to Stein's for lunch. $9 for a small draft beer, not even a
pint, is ridiculous. We got the sausage plate which was very good, but
$18 for an appetizer. It would be very easy to spend $40 or more per
person for lunch, and there's not enough people willing to do this.
Especially when the Mac Cafe is subsidized and provides excellent food,
and when there is a plethora of ethnic restaurants where you can get a
good lunch for $15 or less.

Ciccio

Feb 11, 2018, 3:21:56 PM2/11/18
On 2/10/2018 4:30 PM, David Arnstein wrote:
> Google tells me that the spelling is
>
> Caffe Riace.
>
> Apologies for the error.

Caffe/cafe is a common mistake among non-Italian speakers. That I
understand because of the French/Spanish/English spellings.

What I don’t understand, however, is that the place proclaims it’s “a
taste of Sicily” serving Sicilian cuisine, but Riace is a city in
Calabria! WTF! Like having a place called Caffe Sacramento and saying
it’s a taste of Louisiana. Although, I seem to remember about 30 years
ago Santa Fe Cafe boasting about its California cuisine. But still. . .

Ciccio
--
"If your mother cooks Italian food,
why should you go to a restaurant?"

Tim May

Feb 11, 2018, 10:36:12 PM2/11/18
On 2018-02-11 00:29:13 +0000, David Arnstein said:

> $51 including tax. Tim can berate me for that, but I believe that the
> place is doing the best that it can. From my table I could see the
> offices of a few familiar internet companies. The rent on that big patio
> must be astronomical.

David, I would never berate you. However, paying $51 for what sounds
like a casual bread and charcuteries plact and a glass of wine seems
very "un-European."

A friend of mine who lives in Sonoma, the town, spent a few weeks in
the Alsace region between France and Germany. He marveled at the
excellent lunch deal he got nearly every day, where the meal included a
reasonble glass of house wine. I think he said all of the meals were
under $10, wine included.

(Then he gets back to Sonoma and is reminded again that a $20 meal is
almost impossible to find without a so-so wine costing twice the cost
of the meal. And the wine pimps are constantly pushing $80 bottles of
wine in their "Best Of" articles.)

Ironically, I had been looking for an Alsatian Munster (not the
American Munster) at Whole Foods and they were out, so the
cheesemongrel [SIC] suggested Epoisses, a washed-rind stinking cheese
from the Alsace reigion. This has become my new favorite cheese!

My Sonoma friend found it at Sonoma Market, tried it, liked it, and
made it the centerpiece of his contribution to a family gathering. His
Italian brother in law, a fan of stinky cheeses, pronounced it the best
cheese he could recall having.

It's been very clear for a long time that once can eat much better at
home. When I am travelling, which is not so often, I'm very happy to
fuel up with a delicious In-N-Out burger. Paying $51 for some bread and
crudities and pasta is not my style. But you knew that.

(However, eating Hunan Beef with crispy noodles, for under $10,
definately my style.)

> I would return. The food was decent and the outdoor seating was the most
> pleasant that I have found in recent years.

--
Tim May

Peter Lawrence

Feb 11, 2018, 11:00:16 PM2/11/18
On 2/10/18 4:29 PM, David Arnstein wrote:

> I have been meaning to try this place for years, motivated by mentions
> from people I know. I stopped by for lunch today.
>
> The place is a bit hard to find. It is a few blocks away from California
> Ave. and surrounded by office buildings.
>
> There is a pleasant outdoor seating area dominated by a nice big fountain.
>
> <snip> >
> The rent on that big patio must be astronomical.

Actually it's not, since it's a public space that the restaurant is
squatting on and doesn't pay rent on it. Caffe Riace only pays rent on
their indoor space. This has been a sore point for years for civic-minded
Palo Altans.

- Peter

Tim May

Feb 11, 2018, 11:01:07 PM2/11/18
On 2018-02-11 00:29:13 +0000, David Arnstein said:

> I have been meaning to try this place for years, motivated by mentions
> from people I know. I stopped by for lunch today.
>
> The place is a bit hard to find. It is a few blocks away from California
> Ave. and surrounded by office buildings.

Is it near the old ComputerWare, a favorite spot of many of us back in
the early Mac days, circa 1984-88? Near the two big camera stores? Near
the Snowflake place, Mollie Stone's?

My experiences with "bistros'" on California Ave. have not been good,
including Chez Dawg, home of the designer hot dog for Rodeo Drive
prices. (Folded after a short while.)

A woman I vaguely knew through friends suggested a date. (I know, how weird?)

I drove over the mountains and met her at a place she said he'd heard
was "cute." Should've been a warning. I still remember the name:
"Bistro Elan. Everything she ordered was super-expensive and "sparse."

This was more than 20 years ago. Who paid? I did. Who left hungry? I
did. Who never saw this woman again? I did.

Bistros charging $120 for two people are rackets. Driven by virtue
signalling. "I am willing to waste more than $100 on you because I want
to demonstrate my virtue signalling and profligacy to you."

I favor the days when a girlfriend and I could enjoy Taco Bell or maybe
the occasional splurge to a Subway (new back then in 1974) or a Sunday
trip to a Bob's Big Boy. Or the time I took her to a Greek restaurant
called Zorba's, on Bascom Avenue, where a full chicken dinner with wine
was about $7.

Alas, she's gone now. The good die young. The bitches go on and on.

Tim May

Feb 11, 2018, 11:10:20 PM2/11/18
On 2018-02-11 17:45:05 +0000, sms said:

> On 2/10/2018 4:29 PM, David Arnstein wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> $51 including tax. Tim can berate me for that, but I believe that the
>> place is doing the best that it can. From my table I could see the
>> offices of a few familiar internet companies. The rent on that big patio
>> must be astronomical.
>>
>> I would return. The food was decent and the outdoor seating was the most
>> pleasant that I have found in recent years.
>
> David, please come to Cupertino. We desperately need more people
> willing to spend $51 on lunch. Even just $25.
>
> My neighbor took me to Stein's Beer Garden in Cupertino last week,
> after I helped him with something. It was lunchtime on Thursday, and it
> was empty. The server said that they had cut back their hours and that
> when it first opened it was busy all day. But I think it's reasonable
> to close between 2 and 5 on weekdays for most restaurants, and not be
> paying all that staff when business is very slow. I would have not been
> likely to go to Stein's for lunch. $9 for a small draft beer, not even
> a pint, is ridiculous.

$9 for a small draft beer is absurd. I give them a few more months.

> We got the sausage plate which was very good, but $18 for an appetizer.
> It would be very easy to spend $40 or more per person for lunch, and
> there's not enough people willing to do this. Especially when the Mac
> Cafe is subsidized and provides excellent food, and when there is a
> plethora of ethnic restaurants where you can get a good lunch for $15
> or less.

I don't seem to be alone in thinking that spending $40 per person for
lunch is outrageous.

I know about inflation. But we often went out for lunch, from Intel
which had burritos from the machine and a simple patty melt from the
grill (this was the 1980s) and lunch typically cost beween $4 for an
overstuffed deli sanwich at eom of our favorite places, to may $5.50
for a canneloni lunch at an Italian place, to maybe even less for a
good burger at The Burger Pit. Rarely was a lunch more than $7.

Even accounting for inflation, this talk of $40 lunches is just unbelievable.

May these places all go out of business.

--
Tim May

Todd Michel McComb

Feb 12, 2018, 12:13:40 AM2/12/18
In article <p5r3gf$p8h$1...@dont-email.me>,
Peter Lawrence <humm...@aol.com> wrote:
>Actually it's not, since it's a public space that the restaurant
>is squatting on and doesn't pay rent on it.

Why is there a public patio there?

David Arnstein

Feb 12, 2018, 12:26:18 AM2/12/18
In article <201802112001...@att.net>, Tim May <tc...@att.net> wrote:
>On 2018-02-11 00:29:13 +0000, David Arnstein said:
>My experiences with "bistros'" on California Ave. have not been good,
>including Chez Dawg, home of the designer hot dog for Rodeo Drive
>prices. (Folded after a short while.)

The restaurant scene on California Ave. is now out of control. On Saturday
noon, every joint was completely full, with people waiting for an open
table. The Mexican place (something Sol) might have offered value, but
it was not open for weekend lunch. The other places are mostly more
expensive than Caffe Riace.

The other Mexican place next to Antonio's nut house is still there and
still has strange operating hours. I managed to find it open one time
and I found the food there to be 100% forgettable. Not bad though.

I had a funny experience at the casual coffee place _Printers Cafe_ last
month. I wanted a snack to tide me over for a few hours, and so I asked
for a bagel with cream cheese. The counter man warned me that the kitchen
was backed up for 20 minutes and asked me if I still wanted the food.
At my elbow was a covered glass dish contaning various items, including
bagels. I suggested that he sell me one of those bagels and bring a
chunk of cream cheese from the kitchen. I was willing to spread the
cream cheese myself and pay full price. He refused! He would only sell
me one of those bagels plain.

Sadly, the high end camera business has shut down. They peddled
drool-worthy gear for 51 years in Palo Alto.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2016/09/20/keeble-shuchat-to-close-palo-alto-camera-stores-2/

I would like to recommend the optical shop at Palo Alto Vision Optometry.
That is what brought me to California Avenue. My entire adult life, I
have had trouble with shitty service from dispensing opticians. I have
also done business with opticians that started out good but subsequently
went to hell. P.A. Vision has dispensed two sets of specs so far with
very good service. Fingers are crossed for future visits!

If your prescription is a simple one you could save money and go to one
of the chain stores. That's what I do when I break my specs and need a
replacement in a hurry. If your vision is half as fucked up as mine,
then I would recommend this business to you.

Since Tim did not stoop to berate me, I will offer some other news for
him. Water collected unprocessed from streams and springs is now in
fashion. It has magical properties and sells for about $9 per gallon!
Google "raw water" for more hilarious details.

Todd Michel McComb

Feb 12, 2018, 12:38:36 AM2/12/18
In article <p5r8hp$m29$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
David Arnstein <arnstei...@pobox.com> wrote:
>On Saturday noon, every joint was completely full, with people
>waiting for an open table.

Yuck.

>Water collected unprocessed from streams and springs is now in
>fashion. It has magical properties ...

Like giardia?

>... and sells for about $9 per gallon!

Doesn't a lot of bottled water go for more than $1/pint bottle?

Peter Lawrence

Feb 12, 2018, 3:18:17 AM2/12/18
It was the "Public Benefit" of the Planned Community (PC) Zone that allowed
the developer to build a bigger office building on that site.

- Peter

Todd Michel McComb

Feb 12, 2018, 4:30:32 AM2/12/18
In article <p5rik8$69r$1...@dont-email.me>,
Peter Lawrence <humm...@aol.com> wrote:
>It was the "Public Benefit" of the Planned Community (PC) Zone
>that allowed the developer to build a bigger office building on
>that site.

Sounds like the developer played them. (Too few of these agreements
have any real enforcement once things are built.)

sms

Feb 12, 2018, 7:02:02 AM2/12/18
Many projects get approved with wide support, then, as the project
progresses, the developer gets changes approved that worsen the project.

Tim May

Feb 12, 2018, 12:26:48 PM2/12/18
On 2018-02-12 05:26:17 +0000, David Arnstein said:
> then I would recommend this business to you.
>
> Since Tim did not stoop to berate me, I will offer some other news for
> him. Water collected unprocessed from streams and springs is now in
> fashion. It has magical properties and sells for about $9 per gallon!
> Google "raw water" for more hilarious details.

I saw some piece about "raw water" on a news channel. (Obviously a
"placed" piece.)

A "scientist" woman was warning that "raw water" can carry variious
diseases, including hepatitus, HIV, cholera, etc.

Gee, I've been drinking well water for 23 years now.

--
Tim May

Ciccio

Feb 12, 2018, 1:01:46 PM2/12/18
Indeed, during that period whenever I was in the South Bay at meal time,
Burger Pit was a favorite of mine.

> Even accounting for inflation, this talk of $40 lunches is just
> unbelievable.
>
> May these places all go out of business.

I am not familiar with Cafe Riace or if a good amount of its customers
are "business" diners. If so, then its prices are average with the
typical BA restaurants which have such.

Restaurants that have such adjust their prices upward to take up the tax
wiggle room we get for "business" meals. For non-business meals I rarely
dine at such places and dine very much in line with the type of dining
you indicate you do.

Ciccio

Feb 12, 2018, 1:19:50 PM2/12/18
Or changes that may benefit both the developer and the community, thus,
improving the project.

Ciccio

Feb 12, 2018, 2:28:59 PM2/12/18
Not surprising, only about about 1-2% of the well water consumed in
America is contaminated to the extent it's an immediate health concern;
says my friend who for a good many years has consumed well water
exclusively at his home and somewhat cares about such matters.

Julian Macassey

Feb 12, 2018, 2:42:38 PM2/12/18
On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 19:36:10 -0800, Tim May <tc...@att.net> wrote:
> On 2018-02-11 00:29:13 +0000, David Arnstein said:
>

>> $51 including tax. Tim can berate me for that, but I believe that the
>> place is doing the best that it can. From my table I could see the
>> offices of a few familiar internet companies. The rent on that big patio
>> must be astronomical.
>

> David, I would never berate you. However, paying $51 for what sounds
> like a casual bread and charcuteries plact and a glass of wine seems
> very "un-European."
>
> A friend of mine who lives in Sonoma, the town, spent a few weeks in
> the Alsace region between France and Germany. He marveled at the
> excellent lunch deal he got nearly every day, where the meal included a
> reasonble glass of house wine. I think he said all of the meals were
> under $10, wine included.

This is true all over France. Although McDonalds has
spread throughout France, you can find Routier (Truck Stops) that
will give you an amazingly cheap and tasty meal, wine included
for about $10.

> (Then he gets back to Sonoma and is reminded again that a $20 meal is
> almost impossible to find without a so-so wine costing twice the cost
> of the meal. And the wine pimps are constantly pushing $80 bottles of
> wine in their "Best Of" articles.)

I continue to amused by US wine snobs, most of the wine
drinking world drinks vin ordinaire, not something in a fancy
bottle. Now of course, all the rage is coctails, a form of drink
that evolved to make rotgut palatable.

> Ironically, I had been looking for an Alsatian Munster (not the
> American Munster) at Whole Foods and they were out, so the
> cheesemongrel [SIC] suggested Epoisses, a washed-rind stinking cheese
> from the Alsace reigion. This has become my new favorite cheese!

A stinky cheese that shows up every now and again is
Danish Esrom.

> My Sonoma friend found it at Sonoma Market, tried it, liked it, and
> made it the centerpiece of his contribution to a family gathering. His
> Italian brother in law, a fan of stinky cheeses, pronounced it the best
> cheese he could recall having.

There is a very stinky Danish cheese called Gammel Øst
(Old cheese). I have never seen it in the US, maybe the EPA have
banned it. Danes who eat it ion Denmark, often keep it outside
the house. It is tasty though.

> It's been very clear for a long time that once can eat much better at
> home. When I am travelling, which is not so often, I'm very happy to
> fuel up with a delicious In-N-Out burger. Paying $51 for some bread and
> crudities and pasta is not my style. But you knew that.

When I travel I often seek out good food I can eat on
the go - A good loaf of bread, some cheese and meat. Cheap and
tasty.

> (However, eating Hunan Beef with crispy noodles, for under $10,
> definately my style.)

If it wasn't for all those immigrant restaurants and
supermarkets we would all starve.

--
"(Bill) Gates is more and opportunist than a technical type and severely
opinionated even when the opinion he holds is absurd."

Peter Lawrence

Feb 12, 2018, 3:33:34 PM2/12/18
On 2/12/18 1:30 AM, Todd Michel McComb wrote:
> > Too few of these agreements
> have any real enforcement once things are built.)

Bingo!

- Peter

Peter Lawrence

Feb 12, 2018, 3:42:00 PM2/12/18
Non-business diners at Caffe Riace usually cope with its high prices by
using discounts from Groupon and Restaurant.com which Caffe Riace puts out
via those websites or others (like Yelp) from time to time.

- Peter

Todd Michel McComb

Feb 12, 2018, 4:00:27 PM2/12/18
In article <p5su6n$3gp$1...@dont-email.me>,
Peter Lawrence <humm...@aol.com> wrote:
>Non-business diners at Caffe Riace usually cope with its high
>prices by using discounts from Groupon and Restaurant.com which
>Caffe Riace puts out via those websites or others (like Yelp) from
>time to time.

Online menus can be notoriously inaccurate or misleading, but if
I'm reading the Caffe Riace menu correctly, they offer the same
menu & prices at lunch & dinner. A place like that is always far
more expensive for lunch than a place with lunch discounts.

I ate at Caffe Riace a few times many years ago... it had something
of a vogue in this newsgroup in the old days. We generally liked
the food, as I recall, although some of it was uneven. I seem to
recall, also, that something changed about the restaurant in the
interim... perhaps new owners, or it was something else entirely
that wouldn't have affected the food. I'm not sure. The current
menu, though, looks like a lot of items could be quite heavy.

(I checked out the menu to see if anything there really caught my
eye. It didn't.)

Al Eisner

Feb 12, 2018, 4:51:37 PM2/12/18
Since David included a commercial in his post, I feel compelled to do
likewise. Also on California Avenue is Palo Alto Eyeworks. The current
optician has owned the business for about 25 years, most of them at this
location. I was using them when they were Pera and Sauer on Ramona in
downtown Palo Alto (I'd guess the business dates from the 1950's or
earlier), and I've always had excellent friendly service. The
neighborhood also has a good old-fashioned barber shop.

As to food, to reinforce David's statement: a Google Maps search for
restaurants on or adjacent to this street found 21 of them, not
counting fast food or snack places. (And that doesn't even count
Caffe Riace, which is a bit farther away). I've eaten lunch there
with some frequency (but only a few dinners). My reliable standard
remains Mediterranean Wraps. I also strongly recommend the salads and
sandwiches at Joanie's Cafe. The branch of Zareen's which opened there
last year seems very popular with the Indian or Pakistani community,
but I have mixed feelings about it. (I will not use The Counter, for
reasons previously stated, but Spice Kit is worth at least a try for
its "Asian street food" bowls, etc.) I'll try Baumé when someone
decides to treat me. :)

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018, David Arnstein wrote:

[excerpted]

> The restaurant scene on California Ave. is now out of control. On Saturday
> noon, every joint was completely full, with people waiting for an open
> table. The Mexican place (something Sol) might have offered value, but
> it was not open for weekend lunch. The other places are mostly more
> expensive than Caffe Riace.
>
> The other Mexican place next to Antonio's nut house is still there and
> still has strange operating hours. I managed to find it open one time
> and I found the food there to be 100% forgettable. Not bad though.

> I would like to recommend the optical shop at Palo Alto Vision Optometry.
> That is what brought me to California Avenue. My entire adult life, I
> have had trouble with shitty service from dispensing opticians. I have
> also done business with opticians that started out good but subsequently
> went to hell. P.A. Vision has dispensed two sets of specs so far with
> very good service. Fingers are crossed for future visits!
>
> If your prescription is a simple one you could save money and go to one
> of the chain stores. That's what I do when I break my specs and need a
> replacement in a hurry. If your vision is half as fucked up as mine,
> then I would recommend this business to you.
--
Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA

Ciccio

Feb 12, 2018, 6:21:34 PM2/12/18
On 2/12/2018 12:41 PM, Peter Lawrence wrote:

> Non-business diners at Caffe Riace usually cope with its high prices by
> using discounts from Groupon and Restaurant.com which Caffe Riace puts
> out via those websites or others (like Yelp) from time to time.

It’s better than a poke in the eye, I guess. I find most of the business
meals at such places to cost more than I intrinsically value the meal
notwithstanding the tax break. Thus, even a meal with X% Groupon, etc.,
discount would be more than I value the meal at most such place. As a
marketing expense, however, the value of business meals is much more
than worth it, many fold.

For me, the price of a non-business meal is a significant aspect of the
dining experience. I very much dislike overpricing to the extent I am
getting fucked. Such puts a damper on the experience for me.

$10 is not much, but if I were charged $10 for a cup of regular coffee,
I would dislike it very much. It would be as if the food server were to
bring the check, slap me in the face, and call me a sap. Conversely,
paying a price for a meal at or less than what I value it adds to my
satisfaction of the meal’s experience.

Aahz Maruch

Feb 20, 2018, 1:24:23 AM2/20/18
In article <p5o2op$arm$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
David Arnstein <arnstei...@pobox.com> wrote:

>There is a pleasant outdoor seating area dominated by a nice big fountain.
>Also visible are several iconic Italian objects, including two motor
>scooters and a tiny Fiat. The location is sufficiently distant from
>major streets that all I could hear was the fountain. Actually, the
>fountain is rather loud if you sit right next to it.

IMO the fountain is rather loud even if you sit farther away, which is
why it's rare for me to take my parents there.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 http://rule6.info/
<*> <*> <*>

Ciccio

Feb 20, 2018, 1:50:46 PM2/20/18
On 2/19/2018 10:24 PM, Aahz Maruch wrote:
> In article <p5o2op$arm$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
> David Arnstein <arnstei...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> There is a pleasant outdoor seating area dominated by a nice big fountain.
>> Also visible are several iconic Italian objects, including two motor
>> scooters and a tiny Fiat. The location is sufficiently distant from
>> major streets that all I could hear was the fountain. Actually, the
>> fountain is rather loud if you sit right next to it.
>
> IMO the fountain is rather loud even if you sit farther away, which is
> why it's rare for me to take my parents there.

So, notwithstanding its name, the place disappoints by not serving
Calabrian cuisine. It is overpriced. Its fountain is fortissimo. 3 big
swinging and missing strikes. . .OUT!

I have an upcoming visit to PA calendared for next month. I'll certainly
not mention Caffe Riace, that's for damn sure. I'll just go along with
the others' probably wanting Buca di Beppo. I can deal with that,
especially since it's only once in awhile. I usually have the meatball
sandwich with garlic fries. Not fabulous, but it doesn't disappoint.

Al Eisner

Feb 21, 2018, 4:53:27 PM2/21/18
I wrote this to ba.food in June, 2011 (in response to a recommendation
by Peter Lawrence):

"I tried Caffe Riace for the first time a month or two ago. I generally
don't care for outdoor dining, and the indoor seating was very limited
(unless there was an unseen larger room) and felt rather cramped. The
food, however, was quite good, so if the OP likes the outdoor experience
it could work out. (Also, the weather is likely to be nicer than it
was when I was there.)"

I haven't returned since, so the indoor seating might be a fourth reason.
But I should probably give it another try (on a sunny warm day).

Peter Lawrence

Apr 5, 2018, 3:32:15 PM4/5/18
On 2/20/18 10:50 AM, Ciccio wrote:

> I have an upcoming visit to PA calendared for next month. I'll certainly not
> mention Caffe Riace, that's for damn sure. I'll just go along with the
> others' probably wanting Buca di Beppo. I can deal with that, especially
> since it's only once in awhile. I usually have the meatball sandwich with
> garlic fries. Not fabulous, but it doesn't disappoint.

Overall, IMHO, the two best restaurants to host meals for friends or family
in Palo Alto is the Sundance (a steakhouse) and Evvia (a fine dining Greek
restaurant). Neither are cheap, but their prices a inline for the high
quality food they serve and their consistently top-notch service.

One step below those two restaurants is Pampas, a Brazilian Churrascaria,
also very good, but the service isn't quite at the same level as at the
Sundance or Evvia.

- Peter

Al Eisner

Apr 5, 2018, 8:00:59 PM4/5/18
What does "hosting meals" wntail which affects your choice of best
restaurants?

Peter Lawrence

Apr 5, 2018, 9:46:56 PM4/5/18
Excellent service and an upscale environment. Someplace suitable for
hosting birthday celebrations and other important get-togethers with family
and friends. They also would be suitable for hosting important business
luncheons and dinners.

- Peter

Aahz Maruch

Apr 6, 2018, 2:20:49 AM4/6/18
In article <pa5tjt$72l$1...@dont-email.me>,
Peter Lawrence <humm...@aol.com> wrote:

>Overall, IMHO, the two best restaurants to host meals for friends or family
>in Palo Alto is the Sundance (a steakhouse) and Evvia (a fine dining Greek
>restaurant). Neither are cheap, but their prices a inline for the high
>quality food they serve and their consistently top-notch service.

Evvia quiet enough?
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 http://rule6.info/
<*> <*> <*>
"I felt like the Mary Sue in a lousy piece of fan fiction, taming the big
bad monster with my oh-so-winsome ways." --Daisy Johanssen

Peter Lawrence

Apr 6, 2018, 1:59:56 PM4/6/18
On 4/5/18 11:20 PM, Aahz Maruch wrote:
> In article <pa5tjt$72l$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Peter Lawrence <humm...@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> Overall, IMHO, the two best restaurants to host meals for friends or family
>> in Palo Alto is the Sundance (a steakhouse) and Evvia (a fine dining Greek
>> restaurant). Neither are cheap, but their prices a inline for the high
>> quality food they serve and their consistently top-notch service.
>
> Evvia quiet enough?

It's not excessively loud, but I don't think it usually would be quiet
enough to meet your requirements. OTOH, I think Pampas, especially during
lunch, would be quiet enough for your needs, as would be Sundance for lunch
or dinner.

- Peter

Al Eisner

Apr 6, 2018, 2:07:01 PM4/6/18
Glad you understood the typo "wntail". :)

So you've added the word "important" here, which perhaps suggests something
less casual than your original "meals for friends and family". And
"birthday celebrations" suggests to me (perhaps erroneously) a rather
large group, which also imposes conditions on a choice of restaurant.
So maybe I'm starting to understand what you are getting at (even though
I would rarely put having a meal with friends or family into such a
category). Thanks for clarifying.

(I've actually never been to Evvia, for reasons I won't get into now.)
--
Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable Creature, since it
enables one to find or make a Reason for everything one has a mind
to do." >>> Benjamin Franklin (Autobiography)

Todd Michel McComb

Apr 6, 2018, 3:29:18 PM4/6/18
In article <alpine.LRH.2.00.1...@iris03.slac.stanford.edu>,
Al Eisner <eis...@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
>I would rarely put having a meal with friends or family into such a
>category.

Me either. An excess of formality would be a turnoff to many or
most.

I'll cop to having taken my mother to Sundance, though. (I would
not take anyone, especially myself, to Evvia.)