Cafe Bunn Mi, Clement St., SF

evergene

Dec 27, 2011, 5:18:37 PM12/27/11
Cafe Bunn Mi, 417 Clement Street, below 6th Avenue. Their pork belly
sandwich ($5) belongs at the top of the USDA's banh mi pyramid.
Braised pork belly, hardboiled egg, grated carrot and slaw, nice
dressing. My dining companion had great fun with her lemongrass steak
sandwich (5$).

I can't find their website and I'm too full of pork belly sandwich to
type out their entire menu, but here are three of the dozen or so
interesting-looking sandwich fillings:
Combination pork (roast pork, fancy pork, headcheese, pate, homemade
aioli, pickled carrots and daikon, etc.) $4;
Grilled pork (pate, homemade aioli, pickled carrots and daikon, etc.)
$4
Crispy duck (breaded and fried with homemade plum sauce, etc.); $6

We also shared an order of garlic fries - good but not extraordinary.
But if I were to follow the Michelin Guide's criteria for stars, I'd
say this place is worth a detour, so two stars.

"Banh mi" was added to the Oxford English Dictionary on March 24,
2011. http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/banh+mi

Peter Lawrence

Dec 27, 2011, 5:25:55 PM12/27/11
On 12/27/11 2:18 PM, evergene wrote:

> Cafe Bunn Mi, 417 Clement Street, below 6th Avenue. Their pork belly
> sandwich ($5) belongs at the top of the USDA's banh mi pyramid.
> Braised pork belly, hardboiled egg, grated carrot and slaw, nice
> dressing. My dining companion had great fun with her lemongrass steak
> sandwich (5$).

So how does their banh mi sandwiches compare to those of the Saigon Sandwich
Shop in the Tenderloin?

- Peter

evergene

Dec 27, 2011, 11:44:39 PM12/27/11
I don't know. I've got some time this week - I'll try to stop in at
Saigon Sandwich. But to do any sort of reasonable comparison I ought
to sample more than one sandwich at each place, so I'll have to come
up with an excuse to return to Clement Street too.
I forgot to state, in my little note about Cafe Bunn Mi, that the
rolls they use for their sandwiches are exactly right, with that crisp
crust that shatters just when it's supposed to. Reminds me of the
rolls used for classic Philadelphia steak sandwiches.
I don't think I can ever return to Philadelphia after saying this, but
the sandwiches at Bunn Mi are way better than any Philadelphia steak
sandwich I ever had, and I've had many.

Kent

Dec 28, 2011, 12:26:09 AM12/28/11

"evergene" <ge...@geeaitcheekaygee.com> wrote in message
Five dollars for a pork belly banh mi is too much.

Kent

Dec 28, 2011, 12:30:01 AM12/28/11

"evergene" <ge...@geeaitcheekaygee.com> wrote in message
Where do they get their buns? The bun makes the dish.

evergene

Dec 28, 2011, 5:01:45 AM12/28/11
How much would you spend?

Kent

Dec 28, 2011, 3:00:06 PM12/28/11

"evergene" <ge...@geeaitcheekaygee.com> wrote in message
I frequently get banh mi at Cam Huong and Banh Mi Ba Le in the East Bay. All
banh mi, including pork belly, are $3 or less. I'm sure I'm going to try it
the next time I go in.

The banh mi buns are available at the Cam Huong bakery close by, if you want
to start making banh mi at home.

There's something a bit suspicious about the restaurant's name, Bunn Mi.

Kent

Peter Lawrence

Dec 28, 2011, 4:01:24 PM12/28/11
On 12/28/11 12:00 PM, Kent wrote:

> There's something a bit suspicious about the restaurant's name, Bunn Mi.

Yeah... At first I thought it was a cafe that brewed their coffee using
Bunn coffee brewers. ;)

- Peter

evergene

Dec 28, 2011, 6:38:00 PM12/28/11
I wondered about the name too. But consider this: the Santa Ana
Grocery Company, founded in 1912, was sold in 1914 to J.S. "Jim"
Smart, a banker from Saginaw, Michigan, who was then joined by partner
H.D. "Hildane" Final; they changed the company name to Smart & Final
Wholesale Grocers.

Tim May

Dec 28, 2011, 8:27:28 PM12/28/11
On 2011-12-27 21:26:09 -0800, Kent said:

> Five dollars for a pork belly banh mi is too much.

All part of the karmic cycle, where ethnic foods are introduced, are
considered great bargains, become sensations, then inflate in price.

Carl's Jr. will be offering "The Six Dollar Banh Mi for Five Dollars."

(With a choice of either Ranch, Chipotle, or Zesty Velveeta dipping sauce.)

--
Tim May

Message has been deleted

Tony Lima

Dec 30, 2011, 9:28:47 PM12/30/11
Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 15:38:00 -0800, evergene wrote:
>
>> I wondered about the name too. But consider this: the Santa Ana
>> Grocery Company, founded in 1912, was sold in 1914 to J.S. "Jim"
>> Smart, a banker from Saginaw, Michigan, who was then joined by partner
>> H.D. "Hildane" Final; they changed the company name to Smart & Final
>> Wholesale Grocers.
>
> So is it supposed to be pronounced "Smart and fin-ALL"?
>
> -sw

????? Tony
Message has been deleted