Reminiscing about restaurants

KWM6

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
I used to go to the Brass Door in San Ramon a lot. Is it still around?

Rebecca

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
I've been checking out this newsgroup and have enjoyed reading about places
I'd like to try when I next visit my folks in Modesto. Living in Texas now
(we moved in '77), I am a transplanted Californian and sometimes get
homesick for the places we used to frequent when I was younger. The only
one I've seen posted about is Celia's, which wasn't the Mexican restaurant
we preferred going to, instead going to Horky's. It was still there 9
years ago when I took my husband there on our honeymoon. I'd like to put
up a list of some of the places I remember and see if anyone else remembers
them or knows if they're still open or what may have happened to them if
they are not. If I am out of line here, please let me know where I should
be posting this.

The Happy Host, which became Sirloin and Brew, in San Mateo
The Villa Hotel's restaurant, in San Mateo
Horky's, in either San Mateo or Burlingame, the statues and masks on the
walls used to scare me, I was about 7 at the time
Perry Boys Smorgi (sp?), in San Mateo
Mama's, in San Mateo, it was located downstairs in one of the big dept.
stores at Hillsdale Mall and had good sandwiches
Shipwreck Kelly's, between SF/San Mateo, a seafood buffet as I recall, in a
hotel, the buffet was on what looked like an old ship
Santini's Italian, in San Mateo
Humphrey's Market, in San Mateo
and last but not least
Patrini's Market, in San Mateo, we seemed to live in that store but I
forget where it was located

Sorry the list got kind of long, but the more I wrote down, the more I
remembered. :-) Man am I homesick for my hometown of San Mateo. Thanks
for any replies offered, and my apologies again for the length of this
post.

Becky

Patty Winter

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
In article <36C244A4...@ix.netcom.com>,

Rebecca <pink...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>The Villa Hotel's restaurant, in San Mateo

Was this the polynesian restaurant whose name I can't remember?
It used to be one of my family's favorite birthday restaurants.

Patty

Bracey

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
Ah, San Mateo. The town of my youth (went to Aragon HS and graduated
in '64). A big night out for our family was the polynesian place at the
Villa.
My mom loved the big queen rataan chairs and they had pretty good Chinese
food. Mama's was in the basement of Macy's (as it was in SF too) for a
couple of years. They had a great hamburger. The Magic Pan was also at
Hillsdale for a while out on the north side. Crepes with all kinds of
fillings.
The Magic Pan folks have moved to Babbo's and another place down at
Stanford shopping center now. My mom and my sister and I went down
to Hillsdale (we lived up in the Eicher Highlands) every Monday night so
my mom could get her hair done. My sister and I used to wander around
the mall (way before it was enclosed) until she was done. Ate at the food
court mostly. I remember a record store near the south end that had
listening
rooms. Times change...

Bracey

Rebecca wrote in message <36C244A4...@ix.netcom.com>...

>I've been checking out this newsgroup and have enjoyed reading about places
>I'd like to try when I next visit my folks in Modesto. Living in Texas now
>(we moved in '77), I am a transplanted Californian and sometimes get
>homesick for the places we used to frequent when I was younger. The only
>one I've seen posted about is Celia's, which wasn't the Mexican restaurant
>we preferred going to, instead going to Horky's. It was still there 9
>years ago when I took my husband there on our honeymoon. I'd like to put
>up a list of some of the places I remember and see if anyone else remembers
>them or knows if they're still open or what may have happened to them if
>they are not. If I am out of line here, please let me know where I should
>be posting this.
>
>The Happy Host, which became Sirloin and Brew, in San Mateo

>The Villa Hotel's restaurant, in San Mateo

Hipsters

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Sounds like you miss San Mateo!... Let's see, you mentioned Petrini's, I think
it is still there...what a great store. Don't tell me the Villa is no longer
there; just don't tell me that. Oh Sirloin and Brew was so much fun. Oh I don't
remember Mama's in HIllsdale at all... I sure liked that Stone Soup though...
is that still there?

Remembering old restaurants... how about of Palo Alto? So many of the good
ones on ECR now gone... remember Liaison? L'Omelette? Rickey's? What was the
name of one that had Prime Rib in its name, with the fun piano bar?...

Karen

Donald Martinich

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Hipsters (hips...@aol.com) wrote:
:
: Remembering old restaurants... how about of Palo Alto? So many of the good

: ones on ECR now gone... remember Liaison? L'Omelette? Rickey's? What was the
: name of one that had Prime Rib in its name, with the fun piano bar?...
:
: Karen

I really miss L'Ommie's. Andre and Pierre sure ran a great joint. The rack
of lamb, coquille St. Jacques, and stuffed mushrooms were superb. The
atmosphere was hard to beat- Pierre even let my friend, Smiley, play bass
drum solos in the bar. Remember when Kirk's was right next door?

Good eats- D.M.

orl...@rememberin.killspam.us.com

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
i believe the petrini's that's in san mateo is actually redwood city,
but it's still there, and i also believe it's the last one in the
bay area. i used to frequent the one in stonestown in sf until it's
canadian parent closed the majority of them down.

orlando

orlando at rahul dot net
orlando cordero internet tools, symantec corporation, cupertino, ca.
UCI '89 CSUF '92 http://www.at rahul dot net/orlando ICQ: 3826405
"I had no reason to be over-optimistic, but somehow when you smile I
can brave bad weather." --Pete Townshend ASGTPR #84

In article <19990210223351...@ng60.aol.com>,

Hipsters <hips...@aol.com> wrote:
>Sounds like you miss San Mateo!... Let's see, you mentioned Petrini's, I think
>it is still there...what a great store. Don't tell me the Villa is no longer
>there; just don't tell me that. Oh Sirloin and Brew was so much fun. Oh I don't
>remember Mama's in HIllsdale at all... I sure liked that Stone Soup though...
>is that still there?

Margaret Donnelly

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
In article <Kusw2.22$Qf5...@typhoon-sf.pbi.net>,

Bracey <ti...@pacnojunkbell.net> wrote:
>Ah, San Mateo. The town of my youth (went to Aragon HS and graduated
>in '64). A big night out for our family was the polynesian place at the
>Villa.

And how about those Double Sidewinder Fangs???? I almost cried when they
gutted the Polynesian bar. I never ate there...I just drank there. :)

Margaret
--
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
*~ * nobody,not even the rain,has such *~ /~\ ~*

John S. Watson

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
St. James Infirmary

Why! Why! Why!

I miss Wonder Woman!

Sniff! :-)
John Watson
NASA Ames Research Center
wat...@george.arc.nasa.gov
http://george.arc.nasa.gov/~watson

HOMEBREW NAKED!

Patty Winter

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
In article <mwooF7...@netcom.com>,

Margaret Donnelly <mw...@netcom.com> wrote:
>In article <Kusw2.22$Qf5...@typhoon-sf.pbi.net>,
>Bracey <ti...@pacnojunkbell.net> wrote:
>>Ah, San Mateo. The town of my youth (went to Aragon HS and graduated
>>in '64). A big night out for our family was the polynesian place at the
>>Villa.
>
>And how about those Double Sidewinder Fangs???? I almost cried when they
>gutted the Polynesian bar. I never ate there...I just drank there. :)

Obviously a lot of us remember this restaurant (I especially liked
the lighting near the waterfall wall that went up and down slowly
to simulate daytime and nighttime), but can anyone remember the
NAME of it??? I'm drawing a blank!

Patty

Tricia

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Bracey wrote:

> Ah, San Mateo. The town of my youth (went to Aragon HS and graduated
> in '64). A big night out for our family was the polynesian place at the
> Villa.

Hey! My dad graduated from Aragon in '63!

Tricia

Michael Thacker

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Tricia <tnev...@earthlink.net> wrote:

: Tricia

OUCH!

Karen O'Mara

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99

Ouch?! I think *ouch* is only appropriate if one didn't graduate, don't
you?

Karen

Mike King

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
I think this is the "ouch" of someone reminding you of advanced age.

Peter L

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Michael Thacker wrote:

> Tricia <tnev...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> : Bracey wrote:
> : >
> : > Ah, San Mateo. The town of my youth (went to Aragon HS and graduated
> : > in '64). A big night out for our family was the polynesian place at the
> : > Villa.
>
> : Hey! My dad graduated from Aragon in '63!
>
> : Tricia
>
> OUCH!
> --

That's hitting below the belt, for sure.

Karen O'Mara

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Mike King wrote:

> I think this is the "ouch" of someone reminding you of advanced age.

Ahhh, *that* ouch. Well, the alternative is ouchless, I guess.

Karen

Tricia

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
oops. I didn't mean to to that. :-) Just struck by the co-inkydink, that's all.

Tricia
Who's parents had her at a very *young* age ;-)

Mike King wrote:

> I think this is the "ouch" of someone reminding you of advanced age.
>

> Karen O'Mara wrote:
> >
> > Michael Thacker wrote:
> > >
> > > Tricia <tnev...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > > : Bracey wrote:
> > > : >
> > > : > Ah, San Mateo. The town of my youth (went to Aragon HS and graduated
> > > : > in '64). A big night out for our family was the polynesian place at the
> > > : > Villa.
> > >
> > > : Hey! My dad graduated from Aragon in '63!
> > >
> > > : Tricia
> > >
> > > OUCH!

Karen O'Mara

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Slothrop wrote:

> also butchered the meat department which once carried some very good

butchered the meat department?

Hey, that's a good one. I like it a lot.

SM Petrini's meat department used to be well worth driving from RWC to
shop, when I lived there.

Karen

eis...@slacvx.slac.stanford.edu

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
In article <36c3683c...@nntp1.ba.best.com>, slot...@poisson.com (Slothrop) writes:

> orl...@Rememberin.killspam.us.com wrote:
>
>>i believe the petrini's that's in san mateo is actually redwood city,
>>but it's still there, and i also believe it's the last one in the
>>bay area. i used to frequent the one in stonestown in sf until it's
>>canadian parent closed the majority of them down.
>
> The San Mateo Petrini's is indeed in San Mateo very near the
> Belmont/San Mateo borderline and Forty(mumble) Street. Unfortunately,
> the quality dropped dramatically, IMO, after the sell off a couple of
> years ago. Enough that I stopped shopping there altogether.
>
> They slashed the number of brands they carried and started carrying
> items you could easily find at Safeway/Lucky's for less cost. They

> also butchered the meat department which once carried some very good
> sausages including the Treasure Island hot dog which I liked a lot.
> They also dropped Coleman's beef and seemed to be purchasing a lower
> quality beef for the standard fare.

There was a Petrini's in Redwood City, on Roosevelt Avenue, but it only
lasted about two years, ending about three years ago. I had never been to
another Petrini's, and this place made me wonder what the fuss was about --
it matched the evaluation given above; in fact, its selection was poorer
than a typical Safeway (much poorer than their giant stores), and the quality
no better. It appears whatever Petrini's represented one or two decades ago
had already disappeared in that time frame.
--

Al Eisner
San Mateo County, CA

Bracey

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Funny, I don't feel that old!

Bracey

warren

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Rebecca wrote:

> them or knows if they're still open or what may have happened to them if...

The Villa Hotel is still there - under different ownership. Don't know much
about
their restaurant.

Horky's (Belmont) was one of our favorite. Originally, I believe there were two

Horky's. The daughter held on to the last one (Belmont) for a while after her
mother died
and then sold. The new owners tried to slowly bring in fancier dishes - all
very good. I don't know what happened. I don't think they lasted a year and
have been replaced an Italian restaurant.

You wouldn't recognize the area from Belmont (Ralston Avenue) to San Carlos.
A huge new Safeway has gone in on the block north of where Horky's was.
The RR tracks are being elevated for underpasses at Ralston, Holly and
Brittain streets. There's now a southbound exit /entry for rt. 101 at Brittain.

> Perry Boys Smorgi (sp?), in San Mateo

Long gone. There was one in Seaside for awhile and eventually, I believe they
closed too.

> Mama's, in San Mateo, it was located downstairs in one of the big dept.
> stores at Hillsdale Mall and had good sandwiches

Yes, I remember that one. Gone too, I believe. Emporium is gone too. Sears
sits
in it's place. Sears used to be at the end south of the Mall.

> Patrini's Market, in San Mateo, we seemed to live in that store but I
> forget where it was located

Petrini's was bought out. They used to be in Hillsdale and another one about
10 blocks south of Hillsdale and even one near San Mateo College. The Hillsdale

Petrini's has been replaced with I think a Cost Plus or some such similar
import.

I don't know if you remember the Whistle Stop right next to the RR on El Camino
and Ralston. It was a hamburger place with a fireplace you could site around.
The kids seemed to like it. Gone.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

Regards from San Carlos,
Lorraine

http://www.newsfeeds.com/ The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
-----------== Over 66,000 Groups, Plus a Dedicated Binaries Server ==----------

Jim Hunt

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
Rebecca <pink...@ix.netcom.com> writes:

|> The Villa Hotel's restaurant, in San Mateo

The Lanai. Best place in town to get a date drunk. They were never
very good about checking IDs. Mom's friend worked there when they
decided to close, and the staff were given (in seniority order) the
contents of the meat locker. She brought home an aged full tenderloin
of beef, the best steak I've ever had in my life. I had the recipe
for a Sidewinder's Fang at one point, but haven't seen it in years.

|> Horky's, in either San Mateo or Burlingame, the statues and masks on the
|> walls used to scare me, I was about 7 at the time

Wait a minute, I ate there, and I don't remember it being mexican?!?
Don't remember what it was, but it didn't compete with Celia's in
my memory. Celia's expanded quite a bit, up to like 8 restaurants
at one point, but I think they've pulled back to a few now.

|> Perry Boys Smorgi (sp?), in San Mateo

I think this was where the Hillsdale Cinema is now. Didn't last long.
Several of them still exist in Honolulu, I was surprised to see.

|> Mama's, in San Mateo, it was located downstairs in one of the big dept.
|> stores at Hillsdale Mall and had good sandwiches

Mom used to rave about their chicken salad. Got dragged there on every
shopping trip to that mall. Never was impressed, I wanted to eat at the
food court, also gone now, that had exotic foods like "italian" and
"mexican".

|> Santini's Italian, in San Mateo

Santini's moved out of the 25th ave location about ten years ago, they're
still going fine down in Belmont now.

Places I miss from the Burlingame/San Mateo corridor:

That place just north of Mill's hospital on ECR.
The seafood place on ECR around 16th ave.
Gaylord's ice cream on Burlingame Ave.
A burger place in RWC on ECR that had big wide sloppy juiceburgers.
The restaurant in the airport hyatt, back when it was one story.

--

Jim hunt@"ESS GEE EYE".com http://reality.sgi.com/hunt/hunt.html
Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

eis...@slacvx.slac.stanford.edu

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
In article <7a1ulp$4s...@fido.engr.sgi.com>, nodam...@squid.mti.sgi.com (Jim Hunt) writes:

> |> Horky's, in either San Mateo or Burlingame, the statues and masks on the
> |> walls used to scare me, I was about 7 at the time
>
> Wait a minute, I ate there, and I don't remember it being mexican?!?
> Don't remember what it was, but it didn't compete with Celia's in
> my memory. Celia's expanded quite a bit, up to like 8 restaurants
> at one point, but I think they've pulled back to a few now.

There's a Horky's in Belmont, on El Camino, which is certainly Mexican. I
haven't been there in years (I didn't think it was anything special), but
I think it is still in business.

> Places I miss from the Burlingame/San Mateo corridor:
>
> That place just north of Mill's hospital on ECR.
> The seafood place on ECR around 16th ave.
> Gaylord's ice cream on Burlingame Ave.
> A burger place in RWC on ECR that had big wide sloppy juiceburgers.
> The restaurant in the airport hyatt, back when it was one story.

Add one of more recent vintage: the branch of Mifune which used to be in
Burlingame was my favorite noodle place on the Peninsula.

Rebecca

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
warren wrote:

> Horky's (Belmont) was one of our favorite. Originally, I believe there were two
>
> Horky's. The daughter held on to the last one (Belmont) for a while after her
> mother died
> and then sold. The new owners tried to slowly bring in fancier dishes - all
> very good. I don't know what happened. I don't think they lasted a year and
> have been replaced an Italian restaurant.

Belmont... that's where it was! I'm sorry to hear about Horky's. Even though the
masks and such freaked me out as a kid, I always loved going there for the great
food! So much so that I took my husband there on our honeymoon almost 10 years ago,
before heading out to Portola Park. He was impressed not only with the food, but the
fact that some of the dishes came with a salad of all things. Here in Houston, we
don't see many salads come with the Mexican dishes, other than the usual guacamole
salad.

> You wouldn't recognize the area from Belmont (Ralston Avenue) to San Carlos.
> A huge new Safeway has gone in on the block north of where Horky's was.
> The RR tracks are being elevated for underpasses at Ralston, Holly and
> Brittain streets. There's now a southbound exit /entry for rt. 101 at Brittain.

Oh my hometown is growing older just like me... *sigh*

> Emporium is gone too. Sears
> sits
> in it's place. Sears used to be at the end south of the Mall.

I'd forgotten about the Emporium. As soon as I read this, I remembered how my little
sister would get panicky when the closing music would play over the speakers... she
thought we'd get locked in, poor thing.The Hillsdale

> Petrini's has been replaced with I think a Cost Plus or some such similar
> import.

Was that the Petrini's nearest the Hillsdale mall, before it was enclosed?

> I don't know if you remember the Whistle Stop right next to the RR on El Camino
> and Ralston. It was a hamburger place with a fireplace you could site around.
> The kids seemed to like it. Gone.

I remember the name of it coming up but I don't remember going there. I'll have to
ask my parents about it.

> Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

It has, thank you. I love to remember places like these, childhood memories. There
are a couple of others which I'd forgotten until just now, but I'll post them in
another message under the same subject.

Becky

Rebecca

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99

Bracey wrote:

> Ah, San Mateo. The town of my youth (went to Aragon HS and graduated
> in '64). A big night out for our family was the polynesian place at the
> Villa.

Both of my older sisters went to Hillsdale High. I moved too soon,
unfortunately, when I was still at Meadow Heights Elementary. I don't remember
the restaurant at the Villa being polynesian. All I remember is a diner
complete with counter seating.

> The Magic Pan was also at
> Hillsdale for a while out on the north side. Crepes with all kinds of
> fillings.

I remember my parents going there, but we little kids never got to go. There
was one in the Galleria here in Houston when we first moved here and we went to
that one. I was sad when it closed. They had really good food.

> The Magic Pan folks have moved to Babbo's and another place down at
> Stanford shopping center now. My mom and my sister and I went down
> to Hillsdale (we lived up in the Eicher Highlands) every Monday night so
> my mom could get her hair done. My sister and I used to wander around
> the mall (way before it was enclosed) until she was done. Ate at the food
> court mostly. I remember a record store near the south end that had
> listening
> rooms. Times change...

That's right... the mall has become enclosed. One of my sisters worked at the
Melart's and when my mother would take us shopping, we'd go in and slide down
that really cool slide to the toy department under the clothing department.
There was also Yarbro's where they had these awful heads of a man and a woman on
the wall; when you pulled on their cords, they'd laugh and spit water at you!
Hideous! I wanted one; my mother did not!

As for the food court, it's hard to remember what types of eateries were there.
I sort of remember a fish/chips place and a frozen yogurt stand. Was there
access to a supermarket of some sort from the food court? Is that Petrini's
perhaps? I know I squashed a tomato on some poor woman at a market near that
mall. Everyone else was squeezing the tomatoes, why not me too? Oops. She
gave me a look that said, "Where is your mother little girl?" I made a run for
it.

Becky

Rebecca

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99

Slothrop wrote:

> Karen O'Mara <ka...@randomgraphics.com> wrote:
>
> >Slothrop wrote:
>
> [modest snip]

> >SM Petrini's meat department used to be well worth driving from RWC to
> >shop, when I lived there.
>

> These days, a trip to the Draeger's on 3rd Street in SM or to
> Lunardi's in the Belmont shopping center would be a better bet.

I absolutely fell in love with Draeger's when I last visited San Mateo!
They had a wonderful variety of sausages as I recall... mmmmmmmmmmm.

Becky

> jd
> --
> jason durbin
> stop reading here <---

Kevin O'Hare

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
Rebecca wrote:

> The Happy Host, which became Sirloin and Brew, in San Mateo
Long gone... I think it's an Italian place now...

> The Villa Hotel's restaurant, in San Mateo

The Lanai... good place...

> Horky's, in either San Mateo or Burlingame, the statues and masks on the
> walls used to scare me, I was about 7 at the time

Went there once a few years back,( Belmont) and have not had the urge to
return.
(And I love Mexican food) (T&B's in Belmont is my fav)

> Patrini's Market, in San Mateo, we seemed to live in that store but I
> forget where it was located

As mentioned before, went down hill some 4-5 years ago. Drager's in
downtown San Mateo is *thee* place to go now.

Did you ever go to the Van's in Belmont? It's still there...

Tony Lima

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 00:07:11 GMT, slot...@poisson.com
(Slothrop) wrote:

>Karen O'Mara <ka...@randomgraphics.com> wrote:
>
>>Slothrop wrote:
>
>[modest snip]
>
>>SM Petrini's meat department used to be well worth driving from RWC to
>>shop, when I lived there.
>
>These days, a trip to the Draeger's on 3rd Street in SM or to
>Lunardi's in the Belmont shopping center would be a better bet.

Petrini's has made a comeback. These days, their produce is
better than Draeger's in San Mateo. The S.M. Draeger's is
no match for its Menlo Park parent. - Tony

Tony Lima

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 16:18:00 GMT, d...@netcom.com (dx) wrote:

>Patty Winter <pwi...@best.com> wrote:
>
>> Obviously a lot of us remember this restaurant (I especially liked
>> the lighting near the waterfall wall that went up and down slowly
>> to simulate daytime and nighttime), but can anyone remember the
>> NAME of it??? I'm drawing a blank!
>

>Are you talking about the Lanai? A truly superb example of tiki culture.
>Apparently some of the interior elements were used to furnish a reconstituted
>version in a strip mall on Kehoe at 92. Don't know if that's still around.

If they don't serve the Blonde Witch, it ain't the same
place! - Tony

Tony Lima

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 19:21:50 -0600, Rebecca
<pink...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>> Petrini's has been replaced with I think a Cost Plus or some such similar
>> import.
>
>Was that the Petrini's nearest the Hillsdale mall, before it was enclosed?

Nope, must be talking about some other Petrini's. The one
south of Hillsdale near Belmont is still there. I shop at
it all the time. - Tony

Kevin O'Hare

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99

Tony Lima wrote:

> On 12 Feb 99 12:59:45 -0800, eis...@slacvx.slac.stanford.edu

> >There's a Horky's in Belmont, on El Camino, which is certainly Mexican.
>

> It's now Olivios (whatever that is). We just drove by there
> this evening (Sunday). - Tony

Oh, yeah, that's right... We went there for dinner soon after they
opened.
Not remarkable, or memorable either it would seem.

Tony Lima

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
wrote:

>There's a Horky's in Belmont, on El Camino, which is certainly Mexican. I
>haven't been there in years (I didn't think it was anything special), but
>I think it is still in business.

Horky's folded a year or two ago. I forget what's replaced
it. - Tony

Tony Lima

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
wrote:

>There's a Horky's in Belmont, on El Camino, which is certainly Mexican. I
>haven't been there in years (I didn't think it was anything special), but
>I think it is still in business.

It's now Olivios (whatever that is). We just drove by there

Tony Lima

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:06:47 GMT, slot...@poisson.com (J
Durbin) wrote:

>Tony...@ms.spacebbs.com (Tony Lima) wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 00:07:11 GMT, slot...@poisson.com
>>(Slothrop) wrote:
>
>>>These days, a trip to the Draeger's on 3rd Street in SM or to
>>>Lunardi's in the Belmont shopping center would be a better bet.
>>
>>Petrini's has made a comeback. These days, their produce is
>>better than Draeger's in San Mateo.
>

>I can't comment on today's version of Petrini's but I agree that the
>SM Draeger's produce is not as good as one would expect. I've long
>felt the same about the produce at the Menlo Park Draeger's. I've also
>wondered why they don't put more effort into their produce.

I disagree and shop at all these places semi-regularly.

>Surprisingly, at least to me, I found the produce at the "new" Belmont
>Safeway to be far and away better than almost all local groceries not
>to mention having a better selection (including hard-to-find items).
>The newish Nob Hill in Redwood Shores also suffers from less than
>adequate produce not to mention an ever mutating inventory that makes
>it difficult to find/buy the same item twice in the same week.

Actually, you're right, but I won't shop at Safeway when I
can avoid it. I don't like their "customer-friendly"
attitude as it seems to attract customers who (a) like that
sort of thing and (b) aren't very efficient shoppers.
Usually they're in front of me in the checkout line.

>The best and most diverse produce, however, can be found at the RWC
>Farmer's Market on Saturday's behind the Safeway on ECR.

Agreed, but it's only open March - November. I've started
going to the San Mateo farmers market which is Wednesday and
Saturday mornings at College of San Mateo. - Tony

Rebecca

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99

Here are a couple of other places which someone might remember. Farrell's (in San Mateo)
in a strip center next to a Longs drug store. Used to go there for birthdays; they had
something called "The Zoo" which was a big silver bowl filled with I don't know how many
scoops of ice cream and topped with little plastic animals. For years, my father had a
tiny trophy which said, "I made a pig of myself at Farrell's" that he received for eating
"The Trough". I loved that place, esp. the candy store with the thick red ropes of
licorice.

Another place that comes to mind was The Happy Hippo, which was in San Francisco. They
had all sorts of "animal" names for the menu items as I recall.

Anyone remember these?

Becky

Michael Nelson

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 16:55:35 GMT, Tony Lima wrote:

>Actually, you're right, but I won't shop at Safeway when I
>can avoid it. I don't like their "customer-friendly"
>attitude as it seems to attract customers who (a) like that
>sort of thing and (b) aren't very efficient shoppers.
>Usually they're in front of me in the checkout line.

No doubt they are women who wait until $174.32 worth of groceries are rung
up and bagged, THEN and ONLY THEN will they start digging in their 55 gallon
purse for their checkbook and their envelope of COUPONS.

Sheesh.

Michael

--
"Life is not a dress rehearsal" -- unknown

Michael Nelson San Francisco, CA nel...@imat.com

Glenn S. Tenney KCTJ

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
>I can't comment on today's version of Petrini's but I agree that the
>SM Draeger's produce is not as good as one would expect.

The Petrini's that used to be up at Laurelwood Shopping Center (on
Hillsdale Bld just "down / south" of 92 is not a Piaza's Market. Think
of it as a less upscale, less expensive Draeger's. They have a fairly
good produce section... plus all of the staff there really seem to CARE
and LISTEN to customers.

Glenn

Steven M. Scharf

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
"Chin's Chinese Food and Cheeseburgers" in Redwood
City across from Gemco. Some other Chinese restaurant
is there now, but they don't have cheeseburgers any more.

Bertola's in Oakland.

David Braun

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 15:12:00 -0600, Rebecca <pink...@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

>Another place that comes to mind was The Happy Hippo, which was in San Francisco. They
>had all sorts of "animal" names for the menu items as I recall.
>
>Anyone remember these?

Do you mean The Hippo, on Van Ness? Great burger place!

David Braun

PGMcGee

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
How about Chuck's Steak House in San Mateo? They had the best grilled snapper
I've ever had. And does anyone remember Abby Road on Burlingame Ave.? There
was also another club across the street, but I don't recall the name.

These posts sure are bringing back memories!

Dennis Suchta

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
to nel...@seahunt.imat.com
I've noticed several differences between male/female shoppers. This is not
universal and I make no such claim. But I have noticed:

(1) Women tend to open the glass doors of freezer cases to gaze at the products
making the doors opague to anyone following them
(2) They tend to keep their carts with them at all times, as close as their
purses, taking up
10 feet of space in front of them blocking access to large counter areas
(3) They do not bring out their checkbook/pen/credit card until everything is
checked on the cash register

Michael Sierchio

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
Dennis Suchta wrote:

> I've noticed several differences between male/female shoppers. This is not
> universal and I make no such claim. But I have noticed:
>
> (1) Women tend to...

I will suppress the first half dozen retorts to your "observations" and
let the tigers (tigresses) of wrath instruct you. ;-)

Meg Worley

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
Dennis had written:
>> I've noticed several differences between male/female shoppers. This is not
>> universal and I make no such claim. But I have noticed:
>>
>> (1) Women tend to...

Michael replies:

>I will suppress the first half dozen retorts to your "observations" and
>let the tigers (tigresses) of wrath instruct you. ;-)

We tigresses are too busy making a nice fricassee to bother
instructing the ingredients. Tigresses don't want trolls
with good taste; tigresses want trolls that taste good!

Rage away,

meg

--
m...@steam.stanford.edu Comparatively Literate

orl...@rememberin.killspam.us.com

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
didn't draeger's get busted for something last year?

In article <36ccfb55...@news.spacebbs.com>,

Tony Lima <Tony...@ms.spacebbs.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 00:07:11 GMT, slot...@poisson.com
>(Slothrop) wrote:
>

>>Karen O'Mara <ka...@randomgraphics.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Slothrop wrote:
>>
>>[modest snip]
>>
>>>SM Petrini's meat department used to be well worth driving from RWC to
>>>shop, when I lived there.
>>

>>These days, a trip to the Draeger's on 3rd Street in SM or to
>>Lunardi's in the Belmont shopping center would be a better bet.
>
>Petrini's has made a comeback. These days, their produce is

orl...@couplexmor.killspam.us.com

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
ahhhh farrell's...that was a big part of growing up for me in southern california.
we lived near one in whittier and i celebrated many birthdays in there as a kid.
my parents always took me there especially after a major illness and one of my
extended hospital visits.

i remember for my 5th birthday they made me stand on top of the table while they
ran around with their drums and whistles and the whole eatery came to a dead
stop and then everyone sang happy birthday. farrell's did have this humongous
dessert called "the trough" and if you ate the whole thing, they would give you a blue
ribbon that said "i made a pig out of myself at farrell's" or something like
that. i loved the plastic animals! the last time i was in a farrell's was in
honolulu about 15 years ago.

anybody remember a restaurant called "uncle john's"? there were a few in southern
california, and you can find a few desserted ones along hiway 99 between
fresno and visalia. i don't know if they ever made it to the bay area.

In article <36C88D9F...@ix.netcom.com>,

Rebecca <pink...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Here are a couple of other places which someone might remember. Farrell's (in San Mateo)
>in a strip center next to a Longs drug store. Used to go there for birthdays; they had
>something called "The Zoo" which was a big silver bowl filled with I don't know how many
>scoops of ice cream and topped with little plastic animals. For years, my father had a
>tiny trophy which said, "I made a pig of myself at Farrell's" that he received for eating
>"The Trough". I loved that place, esp. the candy store with the thick red ropes of
>licorice.
>

>Another place that comes to mind was The Happy Hippo, which was in San Francisco. They
>had all sorts of "animal" names for the menu items as I recall.
>
>Anyone remember these?
>

>Becky

mulders_notpairnoid_nuff

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
John S. Watson wrote:

> St. James Infirmary
>
> Why! Why! Why!
>
> I miss Wonder Woman!
>
> Sniff! :-)
> John Watson
> NASA Ames Research Center
> wat...@george.arc.nasa.gov
> http://george.arc.nasa.gov/~watson
>
> HOMEBREW NAKED!

OMMIGOD!! St. James Infirmiry IS GONE!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!!

mulders_notpairnoid_nuff

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99

Chin's mmmmmmmm!!! YUM, YUM, YUM, YUM, YUM!

Not the best, but there was something about that dive feeling about that
place!!

Bertoli's you mean? How many times we got too smashed in there cause
the drinks were practically give away!! Then we'd eat all the pasta we
could!! And I remember the guy'd come around scooping more out of the
giant steel bowl to pile onto the plate!

Hey, what was the name of the smorgasborg at the intersection of
Westborough and El Camino?

Stan Busby

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
orl...@Rememberin.killspam.us.com wrote:

> didn't draeger's get busted for something last year?
>

> orlando
>
> --
> orlando at rahul dot net
> orlando cordero internet tools, symantec corporation, cupertino, ca.
> UCI '89 CSUF '92 http://www.at rahul dot net/orlando ICQ: 3826405
> "I had no reason to be over-optimistic, but somehow when you smile I
> can brave bad weather." --Pete Townshend ASGTPR #84
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> In article <36ccfb55...@news.spacebbs.com>,
> Tony Lima <Tony...@ms.spacebbs.com> wrote:
> >On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 00:07:11 GMT, slot...@poisson.com
> >(Slothrop) wrote:

> >>[modest snip]

> >>These days, a trip to the Draeger's on 3rd Street in SM or to
> >>Lunardi's in the Belmont shopping center would be a better bet.
> >
> >Petrini's has made a comeback. These days, their produce is
> >better than Draeger's in San Mateo. The S.M. Draeger's is
> >no match for its Menlo Park parent. - Tony

Menlo park meat dept. It has been fixed.

Frayed

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
In article <36C9C9...@thetruth.net>,
mulders_notpairnoid_nuff <fi...@thetruth.net> wrote:

'tis

Karen
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Keep/4949/KarenI.htm

David Braun

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:02:01 -0800, mulders_notpairnoid_nuff
<fi...@thetruth.net> wrote:

>Hey, what was the name of the smorgasborg at the intersection of
>Westborough and El Camino?

Southern Plantation, or Southern Something-or -other, IIRC. Long
since torn down. There's a bank there now.
Never ate there, but we used to comment on the permanent sign saying
"Dave Little at the Organ". Steadiest gig in the world.

DAVID BRAUN
David Braun Photography
Specializing in groups of all sizes--Conferences/Special Events,
Corporate/Industrial, Editorial, P. R.
Web: http://www.davidbraun.com Email: br...@davidbraun.com

David Braun

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
On 16 Feb 1999 18:18:34 GMT, orl...@CoupleXmor.killspam.us.com wrote:

(snip)

>anybody remember a restaurant called "uncle john's"? there were a few in southern
>california, and you can find a few desserted ones along hiway 99 between
>fresno and visalia. i don't know if they ever made it to the bay area.

Wasn't it Uncle John's Pancake House? I remember one in Bakersfield
when I was a kid. I liked it a lot.

i...@svpal.org

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
In article <36ca4b5a.1247674307@news>,

brau...@hooked.net (David Braun) wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:02:01 -0800, mulders_notpairnoid_nuff
> <fi...@thetruth.net> wrote:
>

> >Hey, what was the name of the smorgasborg at the intersection of
> >Westborough and El Camino?

"smorgasborg"

Whats that?
A hostile collective alien with a humongous appetite?

orl...@couplexmor.killspam.us.com

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
yup. uncle john's pancake house! i remember a couple of really good
pancake houses in bakersfield.

speaking of pancake houses, i went to the pancake house (i think that's
the name) in cupertino on de anza at 85. it was ok, no big whoop. i
thought it was reasonably priced in comparison with the quantity and
quality of food, i think the average dish was about 6 bucks. i still
prefer the millbrae pancake house.

can anybody else recommend other pancake places in the southbay?

orlando

orlando at rahul dot net
orlando cordero internet tools, symantec corporation, cupertino, ca.
UCI '89 CSUF '92 http://www.at rahul dot net/orlando ICQ: 3826405
"I had no reason to be over-optimistic, but somehow when you smile I
can brave bad weather." --Pete Townshend ASGTPR #84

Audrey Jill Ettinger

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Off the "Bay Area" topic, but Uncle John's Pancake House must have been a
national chain - my family used to eat at one in Buffalo, NY.

Audrey

Glenn S. Tenney KCTJ

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
In article <7aeu6l$9vb$1...@samba.rahul.net>,

orl...@CoupleXmor.killspam.us.com wrote:
> speaking of pancake houses, i went to the pancake house (i think that's
> the name) in cupertino on de anza at 85. it was ok, no big whoop. i
> thought it was reasonably priced in comparison with the quantity and
> quality of food, i think the average dish was about 6 bucks. i still
> prefer the millbrae pancake house.

If that one on De Anza is the one I'm thinking of...

Ages ago I used to go to an "Original Pancake House" in Wilmette, IL. I
loved their German Apple pancakes (large, inches high, light and airy,
carmelized apples, etc.). A couple of years ago I found that it's a
small chain and they had one in Northern California ---- on De Anza near
85.

So, if the one to which you're referring is named "Original", then it
probably has some great specialty pancakes --- and some REAL ham. Both
of which are better than Milbrae Pancake house's.

However, as an overall... and for me, convenience... Milbrae Pancake
house is great!

--
Glenn Tenney KCTJ
The email address has been altered for display since spam

DONALD SNIDER

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99

Does any body remember the "Mingei Ja" (sic) on Union Street
or "La Bodega" on Columbus in San Francisco in the
60s & 70s?

snider

Bob R. Kenyon

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
In article <7af9lg$1...@sjx-ixn6.ix.netcom.com>,

Is "La Bodega" the spanish restaurant where the old couple that runs
it take turns cooking and playing/dancing flamenco? I went there once
in the late '80's and I remember enjoying myself.

--
Bob R. Kenyon | If you want to reply to me
Beautiful Downtown San Jose | don't change a thing,

Patty Winter

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
DONALD SNIDER <dgsn...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Does any body remember the "Mingei Ja" (sic) on Union Street
>or "La Bodega" on Columbus in San Francisco in the
>60s & 70s?

Mingei-Ya, *that's* the one I was trying to remember recently!
They had an inauthentic but delicious dipping sauce for their
hot-pot items. I think it was mayonnaise and soy sauce and
some other ingredients. Anyone know exactly?

Patty

CShadd

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
This is what I recall...

Celia's: on Peninsula Avenue, San Mateo/Burlingame border...has gotten
lot better. I didn't like eating there in the mid 80's but now Celia's
is
on my list to visit occasionally. They expanded the size of their
restaurant. They also have other locations: 37th Avenue, SM (aka
Fernando's), El Camino, San Bruno (Celia's), Fremont-Fernando's.

The Happy Host: where in San Mateo? If at Borel Square, it's gone,
there's
another pizza place (serves Chicago style pizza). The one at Hillsdale
Mall
(corner of El Camino & Hillsdale Blvd) is gone. Mervyns is there now.

The Villa Hotel is still there...don't know what restaurant is there
though.

Horky's: never heard of this one and I was born and raised in SM.

Perry Smorgy's: on El Camino and 28th Avenue is gone. I think Burger
King
is in that spot (or is it the Men's Werehouse?).

Shipwreck Kelly's: doesn't ring a bell.

Santini's: they moved from their old spot up the street to Belmont on
El
Camino a few years back. They have since closed...I heard business was
too
slow. IHOP has set up shop in Santini's old location.

Humphrey's Market: Looooong gone. A thrift shop (Goodwill?) has taken
the
place of Humphrey's (I remember it was the next best grocery store to
shop
within walking distance - rather than having to jump in a car to get to
Safeway and Lucky's!).

Petrini's Market: if you're looking for the one located at Hillsdale
mall -
loong gone! Cost Plus now stands in its place! You should see that
whole
section! Emporium is gone - in its place is Sears which closed down
their
old store awhile back! The restaurant area of the mall has been
completely
renovated! Ling Wong's, the chinese fast food place is gone!! I never
thought that would be replaced! Old Sears location now houses Old Navy,
Tower Records, and Good Guys!

There is a Petrini's market on 41st Avenue in SM! But it's not the same
as
the old Petrini's. I went in there a few months back and it was a
disappointment!

What has replaced the Petrini's type of market is Draegers, an upbeat
contemporary yuppie catering market...

I know what you mean by homesick - I moved away in the early 80's.
Although
I was gone only 4 years, alot changed in San Mateo while I was gone.
Since
I've been back, man you have got to see it for yourself. You should see
Foster City...if you left in '77, what was the population, a few
thousand?
Well now you can add a zero or two (I don't know, I'm just guessing).

OK, so I got a littled carried away here...but as you can see, many
changes
have occurred and are continuing.

Carol

Rebecca wrote:

> I've been checking out this newsgroup and have enjoyed reading about places
> I'd like to try when I next visit my folks in Modesto. Living in Texas now
> (we moved in '77), I am a transplanted Californian and sometimes get
> homesick for the places we used to frequent when I was younger. The only
> one I've seen posted about is Celia's, which wasn't the Mexican restaurant
> we preferred going to, instead going to Horky's. It was still there 9
> years ago when I took my husband there on our honeymoon. I'd like to put
> up a list of some of the places I remember and see if anyone else remembers
> them or knows if they're still open or what may have happened to them if
> they are not. If I am out of line here, please let me know where I should
> be posting this.
>
> The Happy Host, which became Sirloin and Brew, in San Mateo
> The Villa Hotel's restaurant, in San Mateo
> Horky's, in either San Mateo or Burlingame, the statues and masks on the
> walls used to scare me, I was about 7 at the time
> Perry Boys Smorgi (sp?), in San Mateo
> Mama's, in San Mateo, it was located downstairs in one of the big dept.
> stores at Hillsdale Mall and had good sandwiches
> Shipwreck Kelly's, between SF/San Mateo, a seafood buffet as I recall, in a
> hotel, the buffet was on what looked like an old ship
> Santini's Italian, in San Mateo
> Humphrey's Market, in San Mateo
> and last but not least
> Patrini's Market, in San Mateo, we seemed to live in that store but I
> forget where it was located
>
> Sorry the list got kind of long, but the more I wrote down, the more I
> remembered. :-) Man am I homesick for my hometown of San Mateo. Thanks
> for any replies offered, and my apologies again for the length of this
> post.
>
> Becky
>
> KWM6 wrote:
>
> > I used to go to the Brass Door in San Ramon a lot. Is it still around?

Bracey

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
I've got a cookbook from the owner of Mingei-Ya. It was my first
Japanese book and, except for not having an index, it was well
written and very easy to find ingredients and make things that
were the real thing, not some imitation of Japanese food. The
tempura recipe had several variations and is excellent.

Bracey

PGMcGee

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99

:

>>Hey, what was the name of the smorgasborg at the intersection of
>>Westborough and El Camino?
>>

>Southern Plantation, or Southern Something-or -other, IIRC. Long
>since torn down. There's a bank there now.
>Never ate there, but we used to comment on the permanent sign saying
>"Dave Little at the Organ". Steadiest gig in the world.

My husband seems to think it was called The Southern.

Kevin O'Hare

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
DONALD SNIDER wrote:

> Does any body remember the "Mingei Ja" (sic) on Union Street
> or "La Bodega" on Columbus in San Francisco in the
> 60s & 70s?

Don't recall that place, but I do recall "Fat Ed's" at Geneva and
Mission.
It was the restaurant at the back of the "First Edition" bar. The prime
rib dinner (Sunday's only I think) was not to be missed. Now that was a
steak house and a half....

Computer Lab

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
In article <7af9lg$1...@sjx-ixn6.ix.netcom.com>,

DONALD SNIDER <dgsn...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Does any body remember the "Mingei Ja" (sic) on Union Street
>or "La Bodega" on Columbus in San Francisco in the
>60s & 70s?

I remember Mingei Ya, it was a Japanese "country-style" place. Quite
pleasant, I even bought their cookbook.

--
Matthew Takeda
Spamblock in place: remove NOSPAM to reply or use

Jo Ann Malina