Remember the Red Chimney Restaurant?

William and Alice Englander

Dec 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/11/95
Hello -

Anyone remember the Red Chimney Restaurant (was at Stonestown in
the NW corner)? We went there almost weekly and really loved their
steaks back when we were "young and in love" in the 60's and early
70's. One day it was gone and we never heard if it moved somewhere
else or just died. Anyone happen to remember the place and know if
there is any vestige of it anywhere? Thanks.

Bill
--

William and Alice Englander
engl...@netcom.com

jba...@inferno.com

Dec 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/11/95
Int:engl...@netcom.Com wrote
ŐÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ͸
>INAnyone remember the Red Chimney Restaurant (was at Stonestown in
>INthe NW corner)? We went there almost weekly and really loved their
>INsteaks back when we were "young and in love" in the 60's and early
>IN70's. One day it was gone and we never heard if it moved somewhere
>INelse or just died. Anyone happen to remember the place and know if
>INthere is any vestige of it anywhere? Thanks.
>
>INBill
>INWilliam and Alice Englander
>INeng...@netcom.com
ÔÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍľ
I have very fond memories of it also, and wondered what happened to
it.

---
ţ TLX v3.30 ţ I know it all..I just can't remember it all at once.
---
ţ SLMR 2.1a ţ

Larry E. Good

Dec 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/11/95
William and Alice Englander (engl...@netcom.com) wrote:
: Hello -

: Anyone remember the Red Chimney Restaurant (was at Stonestown in

I remember... wasn't it "Rickey's Red Chimney?" I have not heard or seen
of it ever since.

Lisa B.

Dec 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/12/95
engl...@netcom.com (William and Alice Englander) wrote:

>Hello -
>
>Anyone remember the Red Chimney Restaurant (was at Stonestown in

>the NW corner)? We went there almost weekly and really loved their

>steaks back when we were "young and in love" in the 60's and early

>70's. One day it was gone and we never heard if it moved somewhere

>else or just died. Anyone happen to remember the place and know if

>there is any vestige of it anywhere? Thanks.

Hi, William & Alice, I remember. I was just a kid, but my mom would
take me to the cafeteria-style section of the restaurant on Sunday
afternoons, where we would split a shrimp, sprout and avocado stuffed
pita (how's that for '70s?), chocolate swirl cheesecake and a glass of
wine. (No, she wasn't trying to corrupt a minor, it's just that we're
talking about a Swiss-Italian background where a bit of wine for the
small fry over a certain age is not necessarily frowned on.) I
remember lots of wood paneling and quilts (?) or some kind of quilt
motif on the walls.

We hit the main restaurant once or twice & I was in seventh heaven.
Most of my childhood had been spent in circumstances of necessary
frugality - and those prawns were *huge*...with the extra cholestoral
sauce...this memory is still with me.

Of course, Stonestown *then* was an unassuming outdoor mall with
*outre* stores like Woolwoorth's (I worked there for two years in high
school, ask me about the chili cheese dog with extra olives and
pepperoni - ack), and I think at one time City of Paris. Now it's a
swank marble & glass, piano in the main court kinda place, but I do
miss the old mall, even if it was starting to show its age. (There
was, for example, the day the entire brick facade came crashing down
from an exterior wall of the Emporium.)

The five year old version of me also loved the "pizza dogs" at the old
QFI deli, and the big pickles, before they made it a food court, oops,
it's a Mickey D's now, right? Sigh.

Sorry I can't give you back the place of your memories, William and
Alice, but some things are just as good, if not better, in retrospect.
(I can attest to this: our 1992 trip to Europe had its bumps and bad
days, but now we look at the pictures and romanticize the hell out of
it all. Even the day in Reims when I ordered the seafood platter and
got a whole bunch of little tiny snail critters and - no kidding - a
hatpin to extract the teeny tiny meat with! In terms of meat to
effort ratio, it was worse than crayfish! <g> )

Anyway I digress. What I meant to say, was: savor the memories and
go find some new place to make more of them.

LisaB

Icono Clast

Dec 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/12/95
WAAE}Anyone remember the Red Chimney Restaurant (was at Stonestown in
}the NW corner)? . . . One day it was gone and we never heard if

}it moved somewhere else or just died. Anyone happen to remember
}the place and know if there is any vestige of it anywhere? Thanks.

Well, what I'm about to say might not be precisely correct, but most
of it probably is:

The original Rickey's was on Van Ness Avenue where Ruth's Chris House
is now. I think it opened shortly after The War and remained in
business for quite a few years.
When the Red Chimney first opened, it was Rickey's Red Chimney
that we assumed to be the same Rickey as Van Ness Avenue. When
Rickey's was dropped from the name, we assumed that someone had
bought the place.

In the Deep Peninsula, in a little town called Palo Alto, there's a
Rickey's on El Camino Real. It's primarily a motel but it also serves
decent food. It might be the last vestige of the Red Chimney.
---
* SLMR 2.1a #346 * SF is hostile toward hostility -- The Rev. Penny Sarvis

George J. Wu

Dec 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/20/95
In article 95121302...@lcabin.com, icono...@lcabin.com (Icono Clast) writes:

>In the Deep Peninsula, in a little town called Palo Alto, there's a
>Rickey's on El Camino Real. It's primarily a motel but it also serves
>decent food. It might be the last vestige of the Red Chimney.

That would be Rickey's Hyatt on El Camino. We tried them once and
didn't really enjoy the meal. I can't remember my entree, but I do recall
the soup I ordered from the menu came straight from the salad buffet. It
lacked enough of whatever ingredient it should of had and was over salted.
My wife had the salad bar, which was mostly uninteresting items such as
iceberg lettuce and flavorless canned olives.

Perhaps we didn't know what to order, but personally, I think I could
have had a comparable meal at Fresh Choice for a lower cost.

George

---
George J Wu, Founder Software Development Connoisseur
Gourmet Software Design Consulting Expertise in
geor...@netcom.com GUIs, Galaxy, Motif, C++, OOP, UNIX,
415-964-4381 EDA CAD and network management

Rose M. Braun

Dec 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/21/95
In ba.food icono...@lcabin.com (Icono Clast) said:

>WAAE}Anyone remember the Red Chimney Restaurant (was at Stonestown in
> }the NW corner) snip

I do, I do. I was alway kinda disappointed when we ate there though. I
wanted to eat at the Blums around the corner, right on the mall. Remember
the crunch cakes? You can still get them at Kathy's Kreative Kakes on 3rd
in San Mateo. Yum.

Rose Braun

Due to financial constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel will be
turned off until further notice.

allen furst

Dec 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/21/95

Clast) writes:

> >In the Deep Peninsula, in a little town called Palo Alto, there's a
> >Rickey's on El Camino Real. It's primarily a motel but it also serves
> >decent food. It might be the last vestige of the Red Chimney.
>
> That would be Rickey's Hyatt on El Camino. We tried them once and
> didn't really enjoy the meal.

The restaurant is called Hugo's, in the Rickey's Hyatt. It's there because
a hotel of this class has to have a restaurant. Like most hotel
restaurants in North America, the food is mediocre. Hugo's seems to cater
to the Palo Alto blue hair crowd.

af

vbe...@aol.com

Nov 23, 2013, 11:00:20 PM11/23/13
The Red Chimney at Stonestown closed when the outdoor mall was enclosed and became Stonestown Galleria. I dated Greg Taylor, son of Ed Taylor, when Ed and Jerry Fex owned it. (I think it may have been Rickey's before they owned it) Ed and Jerry also owned Val's Redwood Room in Daly City at that time...another great place. Ed an his sons Jeff and Greg opened and closed Mangia Mangia at the Embarcadero. When Ed and Jerry retired, Jeff and Greg bought them out and last I heard still run it today.

On Sunday, December 10, 1995 10:00:00 PM UTC-10, William and Alice Englander wrote:
> Hello -
>
> Anyone remember the Red Chimney Restaurant (was at Stonestown in
> the NW corner)? We went there almost weekly and really loved their
> steaks back when we were "young and in love" in the 60's and early
> 70's. One day it was gone and we never heard if it moved somewhere
> else or just died. Anyone happen to remember the place and know if
> there is any vestige of it anywhere? Thanks.

vbe...@aol.com

Nov 23, 2013, 11:03:35 PM11/23/13
I might add, the Chimney (as we locals called it) was doing very well and Stoneson Development had to pay big $$ to buy them out of their lease.

evergene

Nov 24, 2013, 2:28:03 PM11/24/13
This coming December 10, 2013, marks the 18th anniversary of the
original post, above. 18 years between OP and reply is awesome!

spamtr...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2013, 3:26:40 PM11/24/13
On Sunday, November 24, 2013 11:28:03 AM UTC-8, evergene wrote:
> vbe...@aol.com wrote:
>

> >The Red Chimney at Stonestown closed when the outdoor mall was enclosed and became Stonestown Galleria. I dated Greg Taylor, son of Ed Taylor, when Ed and Jerry Fex owned it. (I think it may have been Rickey's before they owned it) Ed and Jerry also owned Val's Redwood Room in Daly City at that time...another great place. Ed an his sons Jeff and Greg opened and closed Mangia Mangia at the Embarcadero. When Ed and Jerry retired, Jeff and Greg bought them out and last I heard still run it today.
>

> This coming December 10, 2013, marks the 18th anniversary of the
> original post, above. 18 years between OP and reply is awesome!

Whatever happened to Icono, touter of Tu Lan and inveterate dancer? Is he still above ground?

Peter Lawrence

Nov 24, 2013, 3:52:37 PM11/24/13
The beauty of Google Groups!

- Peter

Mark Mellin

Nov 25, 2013, 1:43:08 AM11/25/13
In article <1mk4991a5ql9lt8ab...@4ax.com>, evergene wrote:
Are you from the Future?

In other old restaurant and Daly City news, Original Joe's
is purchasing Westlake Joe's:

<http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2013/11/23/joes-of-westlake-to-be-taken-over-by-original-joes-family/>

- Mark

--
Mark Mellin San Mateo Village, CA 94403 USA

Mark Mellin

Nov 25, 2013, 1:57:00 AM11/25/13
In article
<mellin-5537AB....@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au>, Mark Mellin wrote:

> In article <1mk4991a5ql9lt8ab...@4ax.com>, evergene wrote:
>

> > This coming December 10, 2013, marks the 18th anniversary of the
> > original post, above. 18 years between OP and reply is awesome!
>
> Are you from the Future?

Whoops, I parsed that incorrectly, mentally inserting a comma
between "This" and "coming."

In many ways I'd still like to believe you're from the Future.
After all, who could have predicted that Palace Steakhouse
would someday be a destination?

sf

Nov 25, 2013, 2:36:06 AM11/25/13
On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 22:43:08 -0800, Mark Mellin <mel...@sonic.net>
wrote:

> In other old restaurant and Daly City news, Original Joe's
> is purchasing Westlake Joe's:

And I thought nobody cared about the real local news.

Don Martinich

Nov 25, 2013, 9:16:42 PM11/25/13
In article
<mellin-5537AB....@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au>,
Mark Mellin <mel...@sonic.net> wrote:

> In other old restaurant and Daly City news, Original Joe's
> is purchasing Westlake Joe's:
>
> <http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2013/11/23/joes-of-westlake-to-be-taken
> -over-by-original-joes-family/>
>
> - Mark

I don't know whether that's good or bad news. I like Westlake Joe's just
the way it is. ( I still haven't tried the new Original Joe's.)

D.M.

Mark Mellin

Nov 25, 2013, 10:26:09 PM11/25/13
In article
<dmartinich-4552B...@londonmet-140-097-196-216.londonmet.ac
.uk>, Don Martinich wrote:

> Mark Mellin wrote:
> >
> > In other old restaurant and Daly City news, Original Joe's
> > is purchasing Westlake Joe's:
> >
> > <http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2013/11/23/joes-of-westlake-to-be-taken
> > -over-by-original-joes-family/>
>
> I don't know whether that's good or bad news. I like Westlake Joe's just
> the way it is.

To read the comments on sfgate, many others do too. They worry that prices
will go up and things will change, but not necessarily for the better.

That would leave Marin Joe's as perhaps the last of the "Original" Joe's,
if you will.

spamtr...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2013, 10:34:22 PM11/25/13
On Monday, November 25, 2013 7:26:09 PM UTC-8, Mark Mellin wrote:
> In article

> That would leave Marin Joe's as perhaps the last of the "Original" Joe's,
> if you will.

What happened to Palo Alto Joe's? I think we had a work lunch there in the 80s.

Mark Mellin

Nov 25, 2013, 11:06:40 PM11/25/13
In article <7dcd6ede-034b-4e33...@googlegroups.com>,
The chef, son of long gone West Portal Joe's Miguel Vargas, moved on to
open a North Bay restaurant, Bistro V, outside of Sebastapol, which appears
to have shut in 2007:

<http://www.melissas.com/Recipes/Guest-Chefs/Guest-Chefs/Rick-Vargas.aspx>

evergene

Nov 25, 2013, 11:23:41 PM11/25/13
Mark Mellin wrote:

>In article
><mellin-5537AB....@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au>, Mark Mellin wrote:
>
>> In article <1mk4991a5ql9lt8ab...@4ax.com>, evergene wrote:
>>

>> > This coming December 10, 2013, marks the 18th anniversary of the
>> > original post, above. 18 years between OP and reply is awesome!
>>
>> Are you from the Future?
>
> Whoops, I parsed that incorrectly, mentally inserting a comma
> between "This" and "coming."
>
> In many ways I'd still like to believe you're from the Future.

I'd like to think I could post a question today and get a response in
2031. And yet, of all the places I'd like to go, the future is at the
bottom of the list.

> After all, who could have predicted that Palace Steakhouse
> would someday be a destination?

I'd like to go to The Palace again, some time in the future.

Todd Michel McComb

Nov 26, 2013, 12:06:15 AM11/26/13
In article <s888999k4vcmt2bj2...@4ax.com>,
evergene <ge...@geeaitcheekaygee.com> wrote:
>I'd like to think I could post a question today and get a response
>in 2031.

Encrypt your posts with something likely to be broken around 2031.

Ciccio

Nov 26, 2013, 2:06:35 AM11/26/13
Don Martinich <dmart...@att.net> wrote in
.ac.uk:

> In article
> <mellin-5537AB....@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au>,
> Mark Mellin <mel...@sonic.net> wrote:
>

>> In other old restaurant and Daly City news, Original Joe's
>> is purchasing Westlake Joe's:
>>
>> <http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2013/11/23/joes-of-westlake-to-
>> be-taken -over-by-original-joes-family/>
>>
>> - Mark
>
> I don't know whether that's good or bad news. I like Westlake Joe's
> just the way it is.

A big PLUS ONE!

Ciccio

Tim May

Nov 26, 2013, 4:47:30 PM11/26/13
It's with a new name, and perhaps business model, but the same address,
and Rick Vargas is still the chef (as of very recent items Google turns
up).

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sonoma-wine-shop-and-la-bodega-kitchen-sebastopol

Seems to be well-regarded by the reviewers. Next time I visit my Sonoma
friend I may suggest this place.

--
Tim May

Peter Lawrence

Nov 26, 2013, 5:13:53 PM11/26/13
On 11/25/13, 7:34 PM, spamtr...@gmail.com wrote:

> What happened to Palo Alto Joe's? I think we had a work lunch there in the 80s.

It closed a while back and then became a candy store, which also failed.

It was a poor location for a stand alone sit-down restaurant (and even a
worse location for a candy shop (especially a candy shop that was once
located in downtown Palo Alto).

The building has since been torn down and in its place a gym for the
Pinewood School was built on its former site (at the corner of Fabian Way
and West Bayshore Road).

- Peter

Mark Mellin

Nov 29, 2013, 4:59:45 PM11/29/13
Good to know, thanks, Tim. It sounds like a nice stopping off point on the
way to Gravenstein apple country sometime next season,

<http://www.gravensteinapplefair.com/>

<http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jul/12/food/la-fo-gravenstein-20110811>

sf

Nov 30, 2013, 4:27:54 PM11/30/13
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 20:06:40 -0800, Mark Mellin <mel...@sonic.net>
wrote:

> The chef, son of long gone West Portal Joe's Miguel Vargas, moved on to
> open a North Bay restaurant, Bistro V, outside of Sebastapol, which appears
> to have shut in 2007:
>
> <http://www.melissas.com/Recipes/Guest-Chefs/Guest-Chefs/Rick-Vargas.aspx>

My friends and I are still mourning the loss of West Portal Joe's.
Squat and Gobble is not a decent replacement. The building burned,
but that awful chain is going right back in the new one. gag

Speaking of chains... I ate for the first time at the Crepe Vine in
Willow Glen last week and was pleasantly surprised. Huge portions!
DD and I split a chicken club sandwich and still didn't finish
everything. Great manager/management. Attentive service from the
wait staff and the manager came over several times just to see how it
was going. Servers checked in often and kept our glasses filled.
There were several tables with children ranging in age from infants to
teens - and for the child phobic, all remained in their seats.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

sf

Nov 30, 2013, 4:39:59 PM11/30/13
A lot of people feel the same way. Hopefully, they will keep the
location and current customer base in mind when they remodel the
interior, redo the menu (which needs updating as far as the sides and
that too thick coating on the Calmar) and set new prices. Keep the
fresh spinach saut�ed in garlic, lose the frozen vegetables, offer
different kinds of ravioli (add cheese and spinach to the line up).
As it is, I order the saut�ed spinach and penne with sauce on the side
- so I can doctor mine with butter and parm cheese and hubby will have
a little meat sauce to take home for lunch the next day (he loves it,
I don't).

Al Eisner

Nov 30, 2013, 5:25:39 PM11/30/13
On Sat, 30 Nov 2013, sf wrote:

> My friends and I are still mourning the loss of West Portal Joe's.
> Squat and Gobble is not a decent replacement. The building burned,
> but that awful chain is going right back in the new one. gag

I don't get the business model. Why would anyone want to eat at
a place called "Squat and Gobble"? (Unless it's a kid's place,
along the naming lines of "Chuck E Cheese".)
--

Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA

Todd Michel McComb

Nov 30, 2013, 7:15:00 PM11/30/13
In article <gclk99di2mcrqrjv9...@4ax.com>,
sf <sf.u...@geemail.com> wrote:
>Speaking of chains... I ate for the first time at the Crepe Vine in
>Willow Glen last week and was pleasantly surprised.

The small local chain is family owned. My only real complaint
about the Mountain View location is it's too crowded. That
does keep me away, though.

sf

Dec 2, 2013, 5:52:49 PM12/2/13
I'm completely mystified too.

Peter Lawrence

Dec 2, 2013, 6:58:04 PM12/2/13
Maybe it's related to the new Magic Restroom Cafe located in the City of
Industry?

Same concept, perhaps?

- Peter

Peter Lawrence

Dec 2, 2013, 7:11:45 PM12/2/13
On 11/25/13, 7:26 PM, Mark Mellin wrote:

> That would leave Marin Joe's as perhaps the last of the "Original" Joe's,
> if you will.
>
> - Mark

Original Joe's of San Jose is still around and doing business in downtown
San Jose. (They also have a small branch called "San Jose Joe's" at the San
Jose (SJC) airport.)

- Peter

Al Eisner

Dec 2, 2013, 7:34:34 PM12/2/13
Apart from the gobbling.

Did you watch Anthony Bourdain's recent episode on Tokyo?

Todd Michel McComb

Dec 2, 2013, 7:44:12 PM12/2/13
In article <l7j6qm$ul4$3...@dont-email.me>,
Peter Lawrence <humm...@aol.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 14:25:39 -0800, Al Eisner
>> <eis...@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
>>> a place called "Squat and Gobble"?
>Maybe it's related to the new Magic Restroom Cafe located in the
>City of Industry?

I have no facts, but I immediately assumed it's what the "bring
back the leisurely meal sitting around the family dining table"
movement is explicitly opposed to.

Tim May

Dec 2, 2013, 10:40:36 PM12/2/13
On 2013-12-03 00:34:34 +0000, Al Eisner said:

> Apart from the gobbling.
>
> Did you watch Anthony Bourdain's recent episode on Tokyo?

I saw the one in Berlin, with the specially built ovens. And the
turkeys said "Goebbels, Goebels!"

--
Tim May

sf

Dec 3, 2013, 12:32:42 AM12/3/13
On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 16:34:34 -0800, Al Eisner
<eis...@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Dec 2013, Peter Lawrence wrote:
>
> > On 12/2/13, 2:52 PM, sf wrote:

> >> I'm completely mystified too.
> >
> > Maybe it's related to the new Magic Restroom Cafe located in the City of
> > Industry?
> >
> > Same concept, perhaps?
>
> Apart from the gobbling.
>
> Did you watch Anthony Bourdain's recent episode on Tokyo?

No, but I know what you're talking about. I don't get the Japanese
sense of what's happening and cool either.

sf

Dec 3, 2013, 12:35:48 AM12/3/13
On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 15:58:04 -0800, Peter Lawrence <humm...@aol.com>
wrote:
It's a poor copy of the restaurant in Japan.

julie...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2013, 7:17:06 PM12/18/13
On Monday, December 11, 1995 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, William and Alice Englander wrote:
> Hello -
>
> Anyone remember the Red Chimney Restaurant (was at Stonestown in
> the NW corner)? We went there almost weekly and really loved their
> steaks back when we were "young and in love" in the 60's and early
> 70's. One day it was gone and we never heard if it moved somewhere
> else or just died. Anyone happen to remember the place and know if
> there is any vestige of it anywhere? Thanks.
>
> Bill
> --
>
> William and Alice Englander
> engl...@netcom.com

I do see that this post is from 1995, however, in case anyone is interested, I bought a postcard off of ebay of Red Chimney in Stonestown. So, there is a remnant for anyone interested.

Julie

sf

Dec 18, 2013, 8:30:21 PM12/18/13
Welcome here too, Julie!

julie...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2013, 10:13:39 PM12/18/13
Thanks here, too, sf, but as I mentioned on RFC, I have been here since '94. I haven't posted in a long time, though. I have gotten lots of help on here, a couple of times from you even, lol
Julie P.

vber...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2016, 6:37:18 AM7/11/16
I remember it well. Jerry Fex and Ed Taylor were the owners. I dated Eddie's youngest son, Greg Taylor, for years in the 70s and 80s. The "Chimney" closed when Stoneson Development bought out their lease (and many other store leases in the old mall for big $$) to remodel to Stonestown Galleria. It did not reopen anywhere else but you may be thinking Mangia Mangia at the Embarcadero SF the sons ran for a few years (also now closed) or Ed and Jerry's other restaurant in Daly City, Val's Redwood Room. Val's is still open and Ed's sons Jeff and Greg Taylor took it over years ago when their father and father's partner retired. Sadly, Eddie Taylor, passed away last Friday. He was 90 years old.

vber...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2016, 6:38:55 AM7/11/16
Ricky's Hyatt in Palo Alto had notheing to do with the Red Chimney in San Francisco.

sf

Jul 11, 2016, 11:58:17 AM7/11/16
On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 03:37:17 -0700 (PDT), vber...@gmail.com wrote:

> I remember it well. Jerry Fex and Ed Taylor were the owners. I dated Eddie's youngest son, Greg Taylor, for years in the 70s and 80s. The "Chimney" closed when Stoneson Development bought out their lease (and many other store leases in the old mall for big $$) to remodel to Stonestown Galleria. It did not reopen anywhere else but you may be thinking Mangia Mangia at the Embarcadero SF the sons ran for a few years (also now closed) or Ed and Jerry's other restaurant in Daly City, Val's Redwood Room. Val's is still open and Ed's sons Jeff and Greg Taylor took it over years ago when their father and father's partner retired. Sadly, Eddie Taylor, passed away last Friday. He was 90 years old.

On Ocean Ave?

--

sf

Ciccio

Jul 11, 2016, 1:10:14 PM7/11/16
On 7/11/2016 3:37 AM, vber...@gmail.com wrote:
> Val's is still open and Ed's sons Jeff and Greg Taylor took it over years ago when their father and father's partner retired.
> Sadly, Eddie Taylor, passed away last Friday. He was 90 years old.

In the Daly City area there were, and probably are, three groups of
adherents amongst Italian-Americans (some Daly City natives, but a good
many with North Beach,Excelsior, or Outer Mission roots).

One group of adherents of Val's, another group adherents of Westlake
Joe's. Also, some who go into south city; the adherents of Bertolucci’s.
All of those places, of course, are the old style steaks-chops and
Italian-American fare genre.

Ciccio
--
"God created men... Winchester
and baseball bats made them equal" Evel Knievel.

icl...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2017, 7:00:52 AM2/5/17
Mike D.:
> Whatever happened to Icono, touter of Tu Lan and inveterate dancer?
> Is he still above ground?
I like to think so. You cannot possibly know how flattered I am that you asked.

You can find me on Twitter and I hope that you do 'cause I think I've posted some good stuff. I'm also occasionally post to alt.fifty-plus and occasionally to the censor-heavy AARP.

Got kickt offa FaceBook.

I eat at Tu-Lan when going to The Strand.

This week danced Wednesday, yesterday and today and probably will tomorrow.

You cannot possibly know how flattered I am that you asked. I'm sorry it took three years to answer.

Julian Macassey

Feb 5, 2017, 8:26:03 AM2/5/17
On Sun, 5 Feb 2017 04:00:51 -0800 (PST), icl...@gmail.com <icl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Mike D.:
>> Whatever happened to Icono, touter of Tu Lan and inveterate dancer? Is he
>> still above ground?
> I like to think so. You cannot possibly know how flattered I am that you
> asked.
>
> You can find me on Twitter and I hope that you do 'cause I think I've posted
> some good stuff.

Wading through the Twitter litter is a chore.

> I'm also occasionally post to alt.fifty-plus and
> occasionally to the censor-heavy AARP.

There is not much to like about AARP.

> Got kickt offa FaceBook.

You should be proud of that - Very proud.

> I eat at Tu-Lan when going to The Strand.

I love Tu-Lan, the food, of course but also the neighbourhood and the
general funk.

> This week danced Wednesday, yesterday and today and probably will tomorrow.

I am going to blame you for all the rain we have been having.

> You cannot possibly know how flattered I am that you asked. I'm sorry it
> took three years to answer.

I know dialup is slow, but this is ridiculous.

--
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead
all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact

Mike D.

Feb 14, 2017, 10:23:07 PM2/14/17
I'm glad to hear this. It goes towards proving my thesis that dancing
is a life sport. And I have observed women use dancing skill to
prequalify potential lovers.

evergene

Feb 15, 2017, 1:04:59 AM2/15/17
Mike D. wrote:

>I'm glad to hear this. It goes towards proving my thesis that dancing
>is a life sport. And I have observed women use dancing skill to
>prequalify potential lovers.

Here's some research that confirms your observation.

From
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/science/dance-moves-women-hips.html

What Makes a Woman a Good Dancer? Watch the Hips, a Study Says

"... researchers asked 200 people to rate 39 female dancers. A few
features stood out as contributing to higher-quality dance: big hip
swings, and the right and left limbs moving independently of one
another..."

"The researchers speculate that those moves serve two purposes for
heterosexual women. "One is, they're showing off their reproductive
quality, perhaps their hormonal status, to males," said Nick Neave, an
associate professor of psychology at Northumbria University in England
and an author of the paper. "Another is, they're showing off how good
they are to female rivals."

"In 2011, the same researchers reported that women preferred certain
dance moves by men, especially exaggerated movements in the upper
body. In other studies, Dr. Neave and his colleagues have found links
between male dance attractiveness and risk-taking, as well as handgrip
strength, a marker for overall body strength."

"We know that dance moves are signaling strength and vigor in males,"
Dr. Neave said. "Now we're beginning to do the same research with
females."

"Hip movements were the key predictor of how positively a dancer was
rated in this study..."

"Dancing may have first developed as a form of courtship display in
humans."