Kan Zeman, Palo Alto

Al Eisner

May 17, 2011, 2:44:06 PM5/17/11
I found yesterday that Palo Alto's Kan Zeman is closed, due to a loss of
lease. This restaurant has been a very good moderately-priced option in
Palo Alto, with an interesting menu, considerably more extensive than
that at its sister order-at-counter stores (Med. Wraps). According to
their web page, they closed May 1, and "moving our operations across the
street to ... Med Wraps.... However, we're still offering the same great
catering and dining options as before."

I ate at Med. Wraps as an alternative, but didn't see any extension of
their usual menu. They also do not have anything like the kitchen space
of the old Kan Zeman, so I'm a bit skeptical. Wait and see, I guess.
--

Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA

Todd Michel McComb

May 17, 2011, 6:12:47 PM5/17/11
In article <alpine.LRH.2.00.1...@iris01.slac.stanford.edu>,

Al Eisner <eis...@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
>I found yesterday that Palo Alto's Kan Zeman is closed, due to a
>loss of lease.

That's unfortunate. I haven't been in Palo Alto much lately, but
that was one of the better options on University.

spamtrap1888

May 17, 2011, 6:52:02 PM5/17/11
On May 17, 3:12 pm, mcc...@medieval.org (Todd Michel McComb) wrote:
> In article <alpine.LRH.2.00.1105171139380.18...@iris01.slac.stanford.edu>,

Was it anything like Kan Zaman in the Haight?

Al Eisner

May 17, 2011, 6:58:43 PM5/17/11

I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure they were unrelated in terms of
ownership. According to the web page of the Palo Alto restaurant, the
name means "once upon a time", so this it's not surprising there could
be different places with that name.

Al Eisner

May 17, 2011, 7:00:32 PM5/17/11

Perhaps ironically, my other favorite option (as of a couple of years
ago) for a good low-moderate-priced meal was Andale. They also closed,
I think, because of rents, and their location was taken over by
Med Wraps.

Peter Lawrence

May 17, 2011, 7:26:10 PM5/17/11

One thing I've found to be odd, even here in what is supposed to be the more
"enlightened" Bay Area, is that restaurants featuring Middle Eastern
cuisine, like Kan Zeman, and many others too, feel compelled to describe
their cuisine as Mediterranean, instead of Middle Eastern, or maybe of more
specific origins like Jordanian, Lebanese, or Turkish.

It would be one thing if these "Mediterranean" cuisine restaurants featured
dishes from all over the Mediterranean including Italy, Spain, France, in
addition to the foods from Eastern Mediterranean counties like Greece,
Turkey, Syria, and Lebanon. But in reality they just feature Middle Eastern
cuisine, usually Turkish, Lebanese, and Syrian, and in the case of Kan
Zeman, Jordanian. Occasionally, these "Mediterranean" restaurants also
feature dishes from Egypt, Morocco, and other Southern Mediterranean
countries, but in most part it's Middle Eastern food.

Why is that? Is there a stigma in referring to the cuisine they serve as
Middle Eastern? Would some customers, even here in the "enlightened" Bay
Area, turn away and not consider eating at the restaurant if the restaurant
referred to itself as a Middle Eastern restaurant instead as a Mediterranean
restaurant?

Just wondering...

- Peter

Todd Michel McComb

May 17, 2011, 7:29:14 PM5/17/11
In article <iqv06k$t2n$1...@dont-email.me>,

Peter Lawrence <humm...@aol.com> wrote:
>Is there a stigma in referring to the cuisine they serve as Middle
>Eastern?

We have so many Turkish restaurants here in Mountain View (and
getting more!), yet none of them describes as Turkish. I agree,
it's strange. I mean, nominally anyway, Turkey is our ally!

Persian and Afghani restaurants seem to manage to call themselves
Persian and Afghani.

Peter Lawrence

May 17, 2011, 7:48:40 PM5/17/11
On 5/17/11 4:29 PM, Todd Michel McComb wrote:
> In article<iqv06k$t2n$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Peter Lawrence<humm...@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a stigma in referring to the cuisine they serve as Middle
>> Eastern?
>
> We have so many Turkish restaurants here in Mountain View (and
> getting more!), yet none of them describes as Turkish. I agree,
> it's strange. I mean, nominally anyway, Turkey is our ally!

I'm not sure if you are aware, but many restaurant operators, especially a
good number that run Italian restaurants around the Bay Area, are Turks.
For whatever reason they're into the restaurant business, just like a good
number of Salvadorans nationals are.

So at least it's nice to see that they are now featuring more of their
native cuisine at the restaurants they run. Too bad that they still shy
away from referring to their Turkish restaurants as Turkish restaurants.

- Peter

Todd Michel McComb

May 17, 2011, 7:59:13 PM5/17/11
In article <iqv1gq$3m1$1...@dont-email.me>,

Peter Lawrence <humm...@aol.com> wrote:
>I'm not sure if you are aware, but many restaurant operators,
>especially a good number that run Italian restaurants around the
>Bay Area, are Turks.

Vaso Azzuro and Zucca for two.

Al Eisner

May 17, 2011, 8:00:04 PM5/17/11

The Kan Zeman website describes their food as "Turkish, Greek, Lebanese
and Jordanian", which may be as bad as the catchall phrase.

David Arnstein

May 17, 2011, 8:03:01 PM5/17/11
In article <iqv24h$2qsd$1...@pangkur.medieval.org>,

Ristorante Don Giovanni, last time I checked.
--
David Arnstein (00)
arnstei...@pobox.com {{ }}

Peter Lawrence

May 17, 2011, 9:29:23 PM5/17/11
On 5/17/11 5:00 PM, Al Eisner wrote:

> The Kan Zeman website describes their food as "Turkish, Greek, Lebanese
> and Jordanian", which may be as bad as the catchall phrase.

Middle Eastern would cover it nicely, and be more descriptive than
Mediterranean, especially, IIRC, their "Greek" dishes are just variations of
their Lebanese and Turkish dishes.

- Peter

Julian Macassey

May 17, 2011, 11:13:17 PM5/17/11
On Tue, 17 May 2011 16:26:10 -0700, Peter Lawrence <humm...@aol.com> wrote:

> One thing I've found to be odd, even here in what is supposed to be the more
> "enlightened" Bay Area, is that restaurants featuring Middle Eastern
> cuisine, like Kan Zeman, and many others too, feel compelled to describe
> their cuisine as Mediterranean, instead of Middle Eastern, or maybe of more
> specific origins like Jordanian, Lebanese, or Turkish.

It is one fear of things Middle Eastern and also
unfamiliarity with Middle Eastern food.

In the distant past, Southern California Mexican
Restaurants called themselves "Spanish" for similar reasons.

While talking Middle Eastern, fava beans are in season
at the moment. As they would not say over there. "Time to pig
out".

--
This is America: Corporate stealing is practically the national pastime, and
Goldman Sachs is far from the only company to get away with doing it.

spamtrap1888

May 18, 2011, 11:41:46 AM5/18/11

Constantly being on the prowl for Greek food, I hate purportedly Greek
places who insult their patrons' intelligence by offering
inappropriate foods like hummus. Israelis eat hummus -- claim you're
an Israeli restaurant.

Speaking of Greek food: only two weeks till Greek Festival time at St.
Nicholas in SJ (Near The Alameda and 880). June 4th and 5th, but open
for dinner June 3. I note with regret that the saintly Fr. John passed
away in March.

Todd Michel McComb

May 18, 2011, 1:07:02 PM5/18/11
In article <59ce4b5a-9a55-4e53...@r33g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,

spamtrap1888 <spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Constantly being on the prowl for Greek food, I hate purportedly
>Greek places who insult their patrons' intelligence by offering
>inappropriate foods like hummus.

I do think that's one reason Turkish restaurants in the area tend
to be coy. There's hardly any Greek food here, and they want those
potential customers. (I do think it's strange there's so little
Greek food.)

sf

May 18, 2011, 7:06:46 PM5/18/11
wrote:

> Why is that? Is there a stigma in referring to the cuisine they serve as

> Middle Eastern? Would some customers, even here in the "enlightened" Bay
> Area, turn away and not consider eating at the restaurant if the restaurant
> referred to itself as a Middle Eastern restaurant instead as a Mediterranean
> restaurant?

You don't remember when the "Mediterranean diet" was all the rage?
IMO, in these parts "Mediterranean" means healthy to a lot of people.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

sf

May 18, 2011, 7:10:10 PM5/18/11
On Tue, 17 May 2011 18:29:23 -0700, Peter Lawrence <humm...@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 5/17/11 5:00 PM, Al Eisner wrote:

If their Greek dishes are similar to their dishes from other cuisines,
then Mediterranean covers it nicely since Greece isn't in the Middle
East.

sf

May 18, 2011, 7:11:31 PM5/18/11
On 18 May 2011 10:07:02 -0700, mcc...@medieval.org (Todd Michel
McComb) wrote:

Every time I think I've found a good Greek restaurant, it turns out to
be Turkish. Conclusion: I like Turkish food.

Steve Pope

May 18, 2011, 8:45:03 PM5/18/11
sf <sf.u...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Every time I think I've found a good Greek restaurant, it turns out to
>be Turkish. Conclusion: I like Turkish food.

If you're in London, a great Turkish choice is Pasha in Islington.

S.

Peter Lawrence

May 18, 2011, 9:51:16 PM5/18/11
On 5/18/11 4:10 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2011 18:29:23 -0700, Peter Lawrence<humm...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>> On 5/17/11 5:00 PM, Al Eisner wrote:
>>>
>>> The Kan Zeman website describes their food as "Turkish, Greek, Lebanese
>>> and Jordanian", which may be as bad as the catchall phrase.
>>
>> Middle Eastern would cover it nicely, and be more descriptive than
>> Mediterranean, especially, IIRC, their "Greek" dishes are just variations of
>> their Lebanese and Turkish dishes.
>>
> If their Greek dishes are similar to their dishes from other cuisines,
> then Mediterranean covers it nicely since Greece isn't in the Middle
> East.

My point was their "Greek" dishes aren't really Greek dishes, but a similar,
maybe even a related dish, found and cooked in the Middle East.

- Peter

Peter Lawrence

May 18, 2011, 9:53:53 PM5/18/11
On 5/18/11 4:06 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2011 16:26:10 -0700, Peter Lawrence<humm...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Why is that? Is there a stigma in referring to the cuisine they serve as
>> Middle Eastern? Would some customers, even here in the "enlightened" Bay
>> Area, turn away and not consider eating at the restaurant if the restaurant
>> referred to itself as a Middle Eastern restaurant instead as a Mediterranean
>> restaurant?
>
> You don't remember when the "Mediterranean diet" was all the rage?
> IMO, in these parts "Mediterranean" means healthy to a lot of people.

Except most "Mediterranean Diets" touted by U.S. doctors and dietitians
weren't true Mediterranean diets because they always excluded one of the
staples of many Mediterranean diets, lamb.

- Peter

Tony Lima

May 18, 2011, 11:00:07 PM5/18/11
On 17 May 2011 16:29:14 -0700, mcc...@medieval.org (Todd
Michel McComb) wrote:

Yeah, now that's odd. Persian and Afghan restaurants have
no problems identifying themselves as such. What's up with
the "Mediterranean?" In my experience, if a restaurant
bills itself that way it's best to take a good long look at
the menu, then sniff the air a few times upon entering. That
way you might be able to hazard a guess whether
Mediterranean means Northern Africa, Southern Europe, or
Western Asia. - Tony

Tony Lima

May 18, 2011, 11:01:42 PM5/18/11
On Tue, 17 May 2011 22:13:17 -0500, Julian Macassey
<jul...@tele.com> wrote:

[snip]

> While talking Middle Eastern, fava beans are in season
>at the moment. As they would not say over there. "Time to pig
>out".

Hannibal Lecter sez hi.

Steve Pope

May 19, 2011, 12:03:09 AM5/19/11
Peter Lawrence <humm...@aol.com> wrote:

>Except most "Mediterranean Diets" touted by U.S. doctors and dietitians
>weren't true Mediterranean diets because they always excluded one of the
>staples of many Mediterranean diets, lamb.

Mediterranean diets do not exclude lamb. They just include it
in smaller amounts than meat-heavy North American diets tend to
include meats.

Steve

Todd Michel McComb

May 19, 2011, 1:25:45 AM5/19/11
In article <mfk8t6ln8addcmdph...@4ax.com>,

sf <sf.u...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Every time I think I've found a good Greek restaurant, it turns
>out to be Turkish. Conclusion: I like Turkish food.

I support the conclusion, but I'd also welcome a Greek place around
me.

Peter Lawrence

May 19, 2011, 1:33:20 AM5/19/11

The ones touted by doctors and dietitians in the U.S. do.

- Peter

Steve Pope

May 19, 2011, 2:19:54 AM5/19/11

Perhaps, but from what I've read this is also typical in the region.
Googling "meat consumption per capita" bears this out at least somewhat.

Steve

Peter Lawrence

May 19, 2011, 2:51:04 AM5/19/11

But I'm talking about lamb (including mutton) consumption.

Just quick Googling, I found the following statistics from the USDA:

Per capita consumption (in kilograms) of Lamb, Mutton, and Goat in 1995:

United States: .6 kg
Italy 1.8 kg
France 5.3 kg
Turkey 6.1 kg
Spain 6.4 kg
Greece 14.3 kg

In all of these Mediterranean countries, the consumption of lamb (plus
mutton and goat) is a lot higher than the U.S., yet no mention of lamb in
the "Mediterranean" diets touted by U.S. doctors and health officials.

- Peter

spamtrap1888

May 19, 2011, 10:04:24 AM5/19/11
On May 18, 11:51 pm, Peter Lawrence <hummb...@aol.com> wrote:
> On 5/18/11 11:19 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
>

> > Peter Lawrence<hummb...@aol.com>  wrote:

> >> The ones touted by doctors and dietitians in the U.S. do.
>
> > Perhaps, but from what I've read this is also typical in the region.
> > Googling "meat consumption per capita" bears this out at least somewhat.
>
> But I'm talking about lamb (including mutton) consumption.
>
> Just quick Googling, I found the following statistics from the USDA:
>
> Per capita consumption (in kilograms) of Lamb, Mutton, and Goat in 1995:
>
> United States:  .6 kg
> Italy          1.8 kg
> France         5.3 kg
> Turkey         6.1 kg
> Spain          6.4 kg
> Greece        14.3 kg
>
> In all of these Mediterranean countries, the consumption of lamb (plus
> mutton and goat) is a lot higher than the U.S., yet no mention of lamb in
> the "Mediterranean" diets touted by U.S. doctors and health officials.

Lamb is getting less and less popular in our area. For example, the
"lamb section" in the Campbell Nob Hill meat department contains no
lamb, rather "ready to heat" beef main course dishes. I pretty much
have to get lamb from Lunardi at their high every day prices.

Todd Michel McComb

May 19, 2011, 12:40:01 PM5/19/11
In article <e7d044a7-4031-4480...@r33g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,

spamtrap1888 <spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Lamb is getting less and less popular in our area.

Weird. It seems the reverse to me here. Our local Safeway, which
isn't very big, has various kinds of lamb regularly.

Steve Pope

May 19, 2011, 1:25:57 PM5/19/11
Peter Lawrence <humm...@aol.com> wrote:
>On 5/18/11 11:19 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
>> Peter Lawrence<humm...@aol.com> wrote:

>>> The ones touted by doctors and dietitians in the U.S. do.
>>
>> Perhaps, but from what I've read this is also typical in the region.
>> Googling "meat consumption per capita" bears this out at least somewhat.
>
>But I'm talking about lamb (including mutton) consumption.
>
>Per capita consumption (in kilograms) of Lamb, Mutton, and Goat in 1995:
>
>United States: .6 kg
>Italy 1.8 kg
>France 5.3 kg
>Turkey 6.1 kg
>Spain 6.4 kg
>Greece 14.3 kg
>
>In all of these Mediterranean countries, the consumption of lamb (plus
>mutton and goat) is a lot higher than the U.S., yet no mention of lamb in
>the "Mediterranean" diets touted by U.S. doctors and health officials.

Talk about cherry-picking. The same databases show that per-consumption of
meat in Grece and Italy is 80 and 90 kg respectively, consistent with
Mediterranean peoples eating smaller portions of meat than Americans
where it's 120 kg.

Sure more of the meat they do eat is lamb, everyone knows that.
Mediterranean diets do not exclude it. It's included among "meat"
or "red meat" mentioned in such diets.

I also bet if you drill down you'll find the meat consumption is lower in
say Sicily than Northern Italy.

Steve

Al Eisner

May 19, 2011, 3:11:45 PM5/19/11

Yes, I would not identify anything I've had at Med Wraps as Greek.

Al Eisner

May 19, 2011, 3:15:03 PM5/19/11

"Persian"? That's an ancient people. Those places are Iranian
restaurants, but I bet you won't find much use of that term.

Many Turkish restaurants in the area do identify themselves as Turkish.
Sensitivities are greater when it comes to the Arab world.

Al Eisner

May 19, 2011, 3:19:46 PM5/19/11

Have you tried Aahz's Santa Clara suggestion yet? (I don't know what
you include in "around", but it's closer for you than it is for me! I
haven't been there yet.)

jcdill

May 19, 2011, 3:34:26 PM5/19/11

I'm guessing that it isn't so much that these diets "exclude" lamb as it
is that they don't emphasize it, in part because lamb isn't very easy to
find at traditional grocery stores. The easiest way to get people to
change their diets is by small increments, making minor changes to
dishes they already eat, foods they already buy and eat, etc. It's much
harder to get people to keep to a new diet if it requires shopping at an
entirely different store, buying entirely different foods, preparing
them in unfamiliar ways, etc. Most people find this too hard to get
started with, or too hard to keep up with.

jc

Todd Michel McComb

May 19, 2011, 3:56:46 PM5/19/11
In article <alpine.LRH.2.00.1...@iris01.slac.stanford.edu>,

Al Eisner <eis...@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
>"Persian"? That's an ancient people. Those places are Iranian
>restaurants, but I bet you won't find much use of that term.

That's a political issue. That is to say, yes, you are probably
correct in your implication that places identifying as Persian might
be dodging the "Iranian" association due to public ignorance, but
that's far from the only issue involved.

Todd Michel McComb

May 19, 2011, 3:58:54 PM5/19/11
>Have you tried Aahz's Santa Clara suggestion yet?

No. The only Greek place I've been to in the area is Yiassoo, which
was inexpensive and pretty good, although it's been a while (for
all I know it isn't even there anymore). And I'm not counting Evvia,
which I didn't like at all.

I can't imagine when I'll be in Santa Clara, but I'll try to keep
it in mind....

spamtrap1888

May 19, 2011, 4:02:54 PM5/19/11
On May 19, 12:19 pm, Al Eisner <eis...@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2011, Todd Michel McComb wrote:
> > In article <mfk8t6ln8addcmdphuvhokau9omcuuk...@4ax.com>,
> > sf  <sf.use...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Every time I think I've found a goodGreekrestaurant, it turns

> >> out to be Turkish.  Conclusion:  I like Turkish food.
>
> > I support the conclusion, but I'd also welcome aGreekplace around
> > me.
>
> Have you triedAahz'sSanta Clara suggestion yet?  (I don't know what

> you include in "around", but it's closer for you than it is for me!  I
> haven't been there yet.)

I don't think I posted on Athena Grill: my wife and I tried it and
liked it. Check out the specials, order at the counter, and they will
deliver your food when ready. Parking at noontime could be a problem,
I suppose -- it's in an industrial park.

Peter Lawrence

May 19, 2011, 4:31:38 PM5/19/11

Honestly, I've never found it difficult to find lamb at traditional grocery
stores, be it Lucky, Safeway, or Nob Hill. There's almost always at least a
small selection of fresh lamb at the meat counter, and sometimes, when New
Zealand lamb is on sale, a very large selection.

- Peter

Al Eisner

May 19, 2011, 4:33:45 PM5/19/11

Evvia was certainly not what I'd usually think of for a Greek
restaurant. The Santa Cruz places (Vasili's the more recent "The Greek
Authentic Cuisine" -- aapparently opened by Vasili after he retired from
his first place) are decidedly better than Yiassou (although I do
somewhat like the latter). If Santa Cruz is a more likely location for
you than Santa Cruz, give one of them a try. Probably the second of
them, which is downtown, would be the better bet. Aahz rated Athena Grill
as much better still than Vasili's (and by extension, probably better
than the newest place), but you can't always choose your Santa.

Peter Lawrence

May 19, 2011, 4:36:11 PM5/19/11
On 5/19/11 12:58 PM, Todd Michel McComb wrote:
> In article<alpine.LRH.2.00.1...@iris01.slac.stanford.edu>,
> Al Eisner<eis...@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Have you tried Aahz's Santa Clara suggestion yet?
>
> No. The only Greek place I've been to in the area is Yiassoo, which
> was inexpensive and pretty good, although it's been a while (for
> all I know it isn't even there anymore). And I'm not counting Evvia,
> which I didn't like at all.

Evvia is excellent, though pricey. But YMMV.

Cheap Greek around Palo Alto/Mountain View is indeed rare, though.

- Peter

Todd Michel McComb

May 19, 2011, 4:37:16 PM5/19/11
>... but you can't always choose your Santa.

True enough. How about Santa Rosa? I'm sure I'll be there.

Todd Michel McComb

May 19, 2011, 4:40:33 PM5/19/11
In article <ir3uvr$rrt$2...@dont-email.me>,

Peter Lawrence <humm...@aol.com> wrote:
>Evvia is excellent, though pricey. But YMMV.

Admittedly I was only there once, but we thought it was a poor meal
at any price. I'd have to try *not* to make better food at home.

>Cheap Greek around Palo Alto/Mountain View is indeed rare, though.

I'm not necessarily put off by the price point, although I don't
think there's another example.

Steve Pope

May 19, 2011, 5:47:35 PM5/19/11
jcdill <jcdill...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm guessing that it isn't so much that these diets "exclude" lamb as it
>is that they don't emphasize it, in part because lamb isn't very easy to
>find at traditional grocery stores.

(Are there actually grocery store with meat counters but with no lamb?)

>The easiest way to get people to
>change their diets is by small increments, making minor changes to
>dishes they already eat, foods they already buy and eat, etc. It's much
>harder to get people to keep to a new diet if it requires shopping at an
>entirely different store, buying entirely different foods, preparing
>them in unfamiliar ways, etc. Most people find this too hard to get
>started with, or too hard to keep up with.

Mediterranean diet plans that I have seen include some meat, which may
be lamb even if the word "lamb" does not appear.

My personal interpretation of a Mediterranean diet is about 2 ounces/day
of combined meat/fish/fowl.

Steve

evergene

May 19, 2011, 8:00:14 PM5/19/11
spamtrap1888 wrote:

>On May 17, 6:29 pm, Peter Lawrence <hummb...@aol.com> wrote:
>> On 5/17/11 5:00 PM, Al Eisner wrote:
>>

>> > The Kan Zeman website describes their food as "Turkish, Greek, Lebanese
>> > and Jordanian", which may be as bad as the catchall phrase.
>>
>> Middle Eastern would cover it nicely, and be more descriptive than
>> Mediterranean, especially, IIRC, their "Greek" dishes are just variations of
>> their Lebanese and Turkish dishes.
>>

>Constantly being on the prowl for Greek food, I hate purportedly Greek
>places who insult their patrons' intelligence by offering
>inappropriate foods like hummus. Israelis eat hummus -- claim you're
>an Israeli restaurant.
>
>Speaking of Greek food: only two weeks till Greek Festival time at St.
>Nicholas in SJ (Near The Alameda and 880). June 4th and 5th, but open
>for dinner June 3. I note with regret that the saintly Fr. John passed
>away in March.

The best Greek food I've had in SF was at Kokkari,
http://www.kokkari.com/home/, which is pricey but good. Excellent
lamb's tongue (which I don't see on the menu currently). My only other
experience with Greek food was, unfortunately, not in Greece, but in
Chicago, where they'd set the saganaki on fire, to no one's benefit.
And some more not very helpful information: there's lots of great
Iranian food available in L.A. - or there was when I lived there years
ago, and I assume that's still true. They understand that the rice
that's scraped off the bottom of the pot is the best part. And there's
a chicken dish made with pomegranate that's pretty wonderful. If that
kind of food were available in the Bay Area, I'd journey into the wild
lands of the south peninsula for that.

Aahz Maruch

May 19, 2011, 8:39:01 PM5/19/11

Enh. Not sure Athena Grill is better than my memories of the old
Vasili's and would need to test the new place before making any
pronouncements.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 http://rule6.info/
<*> <*> <*>

Aahz Maruch

May 19, 2011, 8:39:59 PM5/19/11
In article <14f5986a-3f4d-4a7a...@l2g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,

spamtrap1888 <spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I don't think I posted on Athena Grill: my wife and I tried it and
>liked it. Check out the specials, order at the counter, and they will
>deliver your food when ready. Parking at noontime could be a problem,
>I suppose -- it's in an industrial park.

The two visits I've made on Saturday had easy parking (one each lunch and
dinner).

Aahz Maruch

May 19, 2011, 8:42:23 PM5/19/11
In article <pqabt61br5d104pbh...@4ax.com>,

evergene <ge...@geeaitcheekaygee.com> wrote:

>And there's a chicken dish made with pomegranate that's pretty
>wonderful. If that kind of food were available in the Bay Area, I'd
>journey into the wild lands of the south peninsula for that.

The fesenjan at Shalizar in Belmont is okay, but a bit too rich; I
really like the fesenjan at Paradise in Sunnyvale (google for its
official name of "Kabob Afghan & Persian Cuisine").

Peter Lawrence

May 19, 2011, 8:47:17 PM5/19/11
On 5/19/11 5:00 PM, evergene wrote:

> And some more not very helpful information: there's lots of great
> Iranian food available in L.A. - or there was when I lived there years
> ago, and I assume that's still true. They understand that the rice
> that's scraped off the bottom of the pot is the best part. And there's
> a chicken dish made with pomegranate that's pretty wonderful. If that
> kind of food were available in the Bay Area, I'd journey into the wild
> lands of the south peninsula for that.

There are a good number of Persian restaurants in the South Bay. Don't know
how they compare to the ones in L.A. though. I've found that Yas on
Saratoga Avenue in West San Jose to be quite reliable.

- Peter

Todd Michel McComb

May 20, 2011, 12:20:49 AM5/20/11
In article <ir4ddf$8kt$1...@panix5.panix.com>, Aahz Maruch <aa...@pobox.com> wrote:
>The fesenjan at Shalizar in Belmont is okay, but a bit too rich; I
>really like the fesenjan at Paradise in Sunnyvale (google for its
>official name of "Kabob Afghan & Persian Cuisine").

Best Bite, on El Camino in MV, does a good job with these homestyle
stews. It's a small and very unpretensious place. We have a lot
of Persian places here. Rose Market has various things in their deli
case, although I've never really paid close attention.

I make fesenjan, though. It's not hard. I agree it's quite good.

Todd Michel McComb

May 20, 2011, 12:21:27 AM5/20/11
In article <ir435n$o21$1...@blue.rahul.net>,

Steve Pope <spo...@speedymail.org> wrote:
>Are there actually grocery store with meat counters but with no lamb?

In other parts of the country, definitely.

sf

May 21, 2011, 4:12:36 PM5/21/11
On Thu, 19 May 2011 07:04:24 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
<spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Lamb is getting less and less popular in our area.

Which is no surprise considering how awful imported lamb tastes,
especially lamb from Australia.

> For example, the
> "lamb section" in the Campbell Nob Hill meat department contains no
> lamb, rather "ready to heat" beef main course dishes. I pretty much
> have to get lamb from Lunardi at their high every day prices.

I hope you're paying for American lamb at those prices.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

sf

May 21, 2011, 4:16:52 PM5/21/11
On Thu, 19 May 2011 12:34:26 -0700, jcdill <jcdill...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm guessing that it isn't so much that these diets "exclude" lamb as it
> is that they don't emphasize it, in part because lamb isn't very easy to
> find at traditional grocery stores. The easiest way to get people to
> change their diets is by small increments, making minor changes to
> dishes they already eat, foods they already buy and eat, etc. It's much
> harder to get people to keep to a new diet if it requires shopping at an
> entirely different store, buying entirely different foods, preparing
> them in unfamiliar ways, etc. Most people find this too hard to get
> started with, or too hard to keep up with.

I don't follow fad diets, but what I got out of the trend was the
switch from butter and animal fats to olive oil and a de-emphasis of
meat to more vegetables and whole grains.

Julian Macassey

May 22, 2011, 5:28:47 AM5/22/11
On Sat, 21 May 2011 13:12:36 -0700, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2011 07:04:24 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
><spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Lamb is getting less and less popular in our area.
>
> Which is no surprise considering how awful imported lamb tastes,
> especially lamb from Australia.

I have eaten lamb from Australia, Scotland, Iceland, New
Zealand, Pakistan, Afghanistan, America and France. It's all good.

--
This is America: Corporate stealing is practically the national pastime, and
Goldman Sachs is far from the only company to get away with doing it.
- Matt Taibbi May 26, 2011 issue of Rolling Stone

James Silverton

May 22, 2011, 8:26:46 AM5/22/11
On 5/22/2011 5:28 AM, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Sat, 21 May 2011 13:12:36 -0700, sf<s...@geemail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 May 2011 07:04:24 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
>> <spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Lamb is getting less and less popular in our area.
>>
>> Which is no surprise considering how awful imported lamb tastes,
>> especially lamb from Australia.
>
> I have eaten lamb from Australia, Scotland, Iceland, New
> Zealand, Pakistan, Afghanistan, America and France. It's all good.

Sometimes "lamb" in those countries is mutton. Have you ever had the
absolutely youngest lamb as served in Spain? Ternasco de Aragón
(suckling lamb from Aragón) will be no more than 3 months old.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not* not.jim....@verizon.net

Julian Macassey

May 22, 2011, 12:07:31 PM5/22/11
On Sun, 22 May 2011 08:26:46 -0400, James Silverton
<not.jim....@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 5/22/2011 5:28 AM, Julian Macassey wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 May 2011 13:12:36 -0700, sf<s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>>> Which is no surprise considering how awful imported lamb tastes,
>>> especially lamb from Australia.
>>
>> I have eaten lamb from Australia, Scotland, Iceland, New
>> Zealand, Pakistan, Afghanistan, America and France. It's all good.
>>

> Sometimes "lamb" in those countries is mutton.

There's nothing wrong with mutton.

> Have you ever had the
> absolutely youngest lamb as served in Spain? Ternasco de Aragón
> (suckling lamb from Aragón) will be no more than 3 months old.

No but I have eaten the French prÈ-salÈ. As I say, it's
all good.

Lamb, mutton, goat, etc. have what US corn fed beef lacks
- flavour.

David Arnstein

May 22, 2011, 2:26:18 PM5/22/11
In article <slrnitid63...@adeed.tele.com>,

Julian Macassey <jul...@tele.com> wrote:
> There's nothing wrong with mutton.

Hooray for England!
--
David Arnstein (00)
arnstei...@pobox.com {{ }}

Todd Michel McComb

May 22, 2011, 4:50:45 PM5/22/11
In article <iravdn$qaa$1...@dont-email.me>,

James Silverton <not.jim....@verizon.net> wrote:
>Have you ever had the absolutely youngest lamb as served in Spain?

I have. That is really good stuff.

I do not have a problem with the typical New Zealand lamb around
here, however.

sf

May 23, 2011, 2:54:55 AM5/23/11
On 22 May 2011 13:50:45 -0700, mcc...@medieval.org (Todd Michel
McComb) wrote:

I'll grant that NZ lamb is a whole lot better than Aus, but I'm not
100% satisfied with it.

Uncle Steve

May 29, 2011, 5:47:32 PM5/29/11
On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 08:01:42PM -0700, Tony Lima wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2011 22:13:17 -0500, Julian Macassey
> <jul...@tele.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > While talking Middle Eastern, fava beans are in season
> >at the moment. As they would not say over there. "Time to pig
> >out".
>
> Hannibal Lecter sez hi.

The Ontario LCBO has a bunch of Chianti, but I can't decide on which
one I should buy. Any recommendations?

Regards,

Uncle Steve

--
Robots do it in steps.

Dan Abel

May 30, 2011, 4:57:57 PM5/30/11
In article <7ab3ca43f0...@gmail.com>,
Uncle Steve <stev...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Ontario LCBO has a bunch of Chianti, but I can't decide on which
> one I should buy. Any recommendations?

You would go to Canada to buy Italian wine?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California

Steve Pope

May 30, 2011, 5:23:48 PM5/30/11
Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:

> Uncle Steve <stev...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> The Ontario LCBO has a bunch of Chianti, but I can't decide on which
>> one I should buy. Any recommendations?
>
>You would go to Canada to buy Italian wine?

With Chianti, look for DOCG instead of DOC, look for more recent
vintages and avoid the huge-volume brands (with some exceptions;
usually Ruffino is pretty good).

If you want to research the truly good wines, consult the guide
book "Italian Wines" published Gambero Rosso. (It is published
each year but not each edition is translated into English.)
Googling will yield some of their recommendations.

And if you're disappointed with Chianti, look further south :-)

Steve

Don Martinich

May 30, 2011, 8:28:24 PM5/30/11
In article <is11t4$a3q$1...@blue.rahul.net>,
spo...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:

Or, look further north. Try a Teraldego Rotaliano.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/09/dining/09pour.html?_r=1

D.M.