Farm House minestrone!

Mike Huang

Sep 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/6/95
I remember years ago, there used to be a chain of restaurants in the bay
area called "The Farm House" or "Pasquelli's Farm House." (They were
yellow buildings reminiscant of a country houses -- one in Newark,
another in Redwood City, etc.)

I still remember that they had my -favorite- minestrone soup, and an
excellent bread to boot! Unfortunately, they went out of business...
(Years ago, I went to the "Old San Francisco Express" in Cordellia
Junction by Fairfield, which had identical soup and bread, but I
don't know if its still the same.)

Does anyone know of any restaurants in this area which have any
comparable minestrone soups (or even bread)? In fact, if anyone has
a lead on the recipie, I'd hazard to make the soup myself! :)

Thanks in advance!
Mike(y)
--
Mike Huang
mhu...@netcom.com

Charleen Bunjiovianna

Sep 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/6/95
In article <mhuangDE...@netcom.com> mhu...@netcom.com writes:

>Does anyone know of any restaurants in this area which have any
>comparable minestrone soups (or even bread)? In fact, if anyone has
>a lead on the recipie, I'd hazard to make the soup myself! :)

I don't know if it's similar, because I never ate at the Farm House,
but Rico's in San Carlos has excellent minestrone.

Charleen Bunjiovianna
Redwood City, California

--
Dozens of antiques links, antiques and collectibles for sale (Visa/MC
welcome!), rec.antiques archive, the latest I-COLLECT list, pointers to

Marilee Marshall

Sep 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/6/95

>Does anyone know of any restaurants in this area which have any
>comparable minestrone soups (or even bread)? In fact, if anyone has
>a lead on the recipie, I'd hazard to make the soup myself! :)

I just so happen to have one of my cookbooks in the office. I
included one of my better recipes of:

MINESTRONE SOUP

1/2 oil
1 lg. onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 medium potatoes, diced
1/2 lb. green beans, cut in 1" pieces
4 cups water or stock
1/2 small cabbage, shredded
1/2 package frozen clopped spinach
6 med. tomatoes, peeled & chopped (or canned is fine)
2 medium zucchini, sliced
1- 16 oz can red kidney beans
bunch of fresh herbs like - Italian parsley, and fresh basil, thyme,
bay leaf,or whatever else is available.
Grated fresh parmesan cheese (top the soup just before serving)

Heat oil in Dutch overn, and saute onion, carrots, celery and
potatoes for about 20 minutes. Add rest of ingredients and simmer
about 40 minutes. It's better if it can rest overnight in the frig.
and mellow the flavors.

my favorit recipe however is slightly different. Make the soup
without the herbs. In a small bowl blend well -
4 mashed garlic cloves
4 Tbsp. dried parsley
4 Tbsp. fresh minced basil
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 small can of tomato paste
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

Mix to a paste. Just before serving, take the pot of soup off
the heat. Quickly stir in the herb/cheese paste. Serve immediately
with crispy french bread. Don't put the pot back on the heat,
because the parmesan will burn to the bottom.

Enjoy.

marilee (from my book "Cooks Tour of the World")
at stanford

carolma...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2015, 7:11:11 PM4/27/15
Hello, I love that minestrone soup also. Being born and raised in Fairfield and when I was a kid going out there was a big deal. :) I have spent alot of time over this last year praying to our lord about the recipe. With him reminding me of each thing in it and each of the spices. Praise the lord I got it really really close! It really is in the seasoning. Now I know this post is almost 10 years old. :/ but I pray I will find you to share this wonderful soup. I have made 3 stock pots over the last 6 months and it really is close to San Francisco Express recipe and delicious. God bless please email me back at carolma...@gmail.com

squi...@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2015, 2:23:40 AM11/10/15

sutter...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2016, 2:39:14 PM8/2/16
On Wednesday, September 6, 1995 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Mike Huang wrote:
> I remember years ago, there used to be a chain of restaurants in the bay
> area called "The Farm House" or "Pasquelli's Farm House." (They were
> yellow buildings reminiscant of a country houses -- one in Newark,
> another in Redwood City, etc.)
>
> I still remember that they had my -favorite- minestrone soup, and an
> excellent bread to boot! Unfortunately, they went out of business...
> (Years ago, I went to the "Old San Francisco Express" in Cordellia
> Junction by Fairfield, which had identical soup and bread, but I
> don't know if its still the same.)
>
> Does anyone know of any restaurants in this area which have any
> comparable minestrone soups (or even bread)? In fact, if anyone has
> a lead on the recipie, I'd hazard to make the soup myself! :)
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Mike(y)
> --
> Mike Huang
> mhu...@netcom.com
I know its been over 20 years, but have you found a comparable minestrone recipe. I also am from Fairfield area and want to find a recipes that mimmicks "Old San Francisco Express".

Please email me any news: jasmine_...@yahoo.com

Peter Lawrence

Aug 2, 2016, 8:10:55 PM8/2/16
The restaurant Frankie Johnnie & Luigi Too! in Mountain View still serves up
an excellent minestrone.

- Peter

Peter Lawrence

Aug 2, 2016, 8:16:01 PM8/2/16
On 8/2/16 11:39 AM, sutter...@gmail.com wrote:

> I also am from Fairfield area and want to find a recipes
> that mimmicks "Old San Francisco Express".

Here's a recipe the is supposedly based on the Farmhouse minestrone recipe:

http://www.dish-ditty.com/2013/09/14/memories-of-farmhouse-minestrone-soup-recipe/

- Peter

Ciccio

Aug 3, 2016, 12:13:03 PM8/3/16
My favorite eatery minestrone in my life, is the first I ever had, which
was the minestrone at “Mike’s Pool Hall” in North Beach. When I saw this
article with the accompanying recipe some years ago I made it and many
times thereafter. I’ve shared it with family and friends who also had it
back in the day (the 60s) and they agree that’s it.

It’s said that the first of any dish you’ve had that’s good sets the
standard for it forever with you. It’s true of this soup and me as it is
the standard by which I measure eatery minestrones, albeit I haven’t had
this in an eatery, in 50ish years.

http://www.sfgate.com/recipes/article/Soup-revives-memories-of-a-long-gone-North-Beach-2507078.php

Ciccio

--
"I'm as mad as hell,and I'm not going to take this anymore!" -Paddy
Chayefsky.

magarac

Aug 3, 2016, 5:29:04 PM8/3/16
I had many a meal/sandwich at Mike's Pool Hall in the 60's and often had the excellent minestrone. I also greatly enjoyed the osso bucco. I would like to find that recipe.

D.M.

On 03 Aug 2016 09:13 AM ,Ciccio <franc...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 8/2/2016 5:15 PM, Peter Lawrence wrote:
> > On 8/2/16 11:39 AM, sutter...@gmail.com wrote:
> >>
> >> I also am from Fairfield area and want to find a recipes
> >> that mimmicks "Old San Francisco Express".
> >
> > Here's a recipe the is supposedly based on the Farmhouse minestrone recipe:
> >
> > http://www.dish-ditty.com/2013/09/14/memories-of-farmhouse-minestrone-soup-recipe/
> >

> > - Peter
>
> My favorite eatery minestrone in my life, is the first I ever had, which
> was the minestrone at ?Mike?s Pool Hall? in North Beach. When I saw this
> article with the accompanying recipe some years ago I made it and many
> times thereafter. I?ve shared it with family and friends who also had it
> back in the day (the 60s) and they agree that?s it.
>
> It?s said that the first of any dish you?ve had that?s good sets the
> standard for it forever with you. It?s true of this soup and me as it is
> the standard by which I measure eatery minestrones, albeit I haven?t had
> this in an eatery, in 50ish years.
>
> http://www.sfgate.com/recipes/article/Soup-revives-memories-of-a-long-gone-North-Beach-2507078.php
>

> Ciccio
>
> --
> "I'm as mad as hell,and I'm not going to take this anymore!" -Paddy
> Chayefsky.
> So, no way I'm voting for Hillary Clinton.

--
Posted by Mimo Usenet Browser v0.2.5
http://www.mimousenet.com/mimo/post

Steve Pope

Aug 3, 2016, 5:46:15 PM8/3/16
I must prefer escarole in minestrone, instead of kale, spinach, etc.
Of course any green can go into any soup.

Steve

Ciccio

Aug 3, 2016, 6:44:01 PM8/3/16
On 8/3/2016 2:28 PM, magarac wrote:

> I had many a meal/sandwich at Mike's Pool Hall in the 60's

His TORPEDO sandwich!

One of his torpedo sandwiches with a bowl of the minestrone...forget
about it! If, indeed, one could eat it all.

kevin.g...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2020, 9:29:03 PM4/2/20
On Wednesday, September 6, 1995 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Mike Huang wrote:
> I remember years ago, there used to be a chain of restaurants in the bay
> area called "The Farm House" or "Pasquelli's Farm House." (They were
> yellow buildings reminiscant of a country houses -- one in Newark,
> another in Redwood City, etc.)
>
> I still remember that they had my -favorite- minestrone soup, and an
> excellent bread to boot! Unfortunately, they went out of business...
> (Years ago, I went to the "Old San Francisco Express" in Cordellia
> Junction by Fairfield, which had identical soup and bread, but I
> don't know if its still the same.)
>
> Does anyone know of any restaurants in this area which have any
> comparable minestrone soups (or even bread)? In fact, if anyone has
> a lead on the recipie, I'd hazard to make the soup myself! :)
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Mike(y)
> --
> Mike Huang
> mhu...@netcom.com

the true real recipe was published in the Mercury News in 2005. Google it. I used to work there as a bartender. Billy Band was my favorite band that played there. if you cant find it, send me an email. Ke...@directcon.net

Eli the Bearded

Apr 2, 2020, 11:21:35 PM4/2/20
In ba.food, <kevin.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 6, 1995 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Mike Huang wrote:

Mike has probably stopped waiting for an answer.

> > I remember years ago, there used to be a chain of restaurants in the bay
> > area called "The Farm House" or "Pasquelli's Farm House." (They were
> > yellow buildings reminiscant of a country houses -- one in Newark,
> > another in Redwood City, etc.)
> > I still remember that they had my -favorite- minestrone soup, and an
> > (Years ago, I went to the "Old San Francisco Express" in Cordellia
> > mhu...@netcom.com

And Mike's ISP has gone under, so his email has surely changed.

> the true real recipe was published in the Mercury News in 2005. Google it. I used to work
> there as a bartender. Billy Band was my favorite band that played there. if you cant find
> it, send me an email. Ke...@directcon.net

I did a search and found a 2013 recipe in the Mercury News.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2013/03/05/recipe-farmhouse-pasquinellis-minestrone/

Farmhouse Pasquinelli's Minestrone

1/2 pound dried white beans, picked over and rinsed

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 pound pancetta or sliced lean bacon, chopped

1/3 cup olive oil

1 onion, chopped

1 large carrot and 1 rib celery, cut in 1/2-inch dice

3 garlic cloves, minced

2 zucchini and 1/4 pound green beans, in 1/2-inch pieces

1/2 pound boiling potatoes

4 cups shredded green cabbage

1/2 pound kale leaves, chopped

28-ounce can tomatoes, drained and chopped

4 1/2 cups chicken broth

Optional: grated Parmesan, garlic bruschetta, dry-cured sausage

1. In large bowl, soak beans overnight with enough water to cover by
2 inches.

2. Drain beans. In a saucepan, combine beans with enough water to
cover by 2 inches; simmer uncovered until tender, 45 minutes to 1
hour, adding water to keep beans barely covered. Add salt; simmer 5
minutes more.

3. In heavy soup pot, cook pancetta in oil, stirring, until crisp
and pale golden. Add onion; cook, stirring, until soft. Add carrots,
celery and garlic; cook, stirring, 4 minutes. Peel and cut potatoes
into 3/4-inch dice. Add potatoes, zucchini and green beans to pot;
cook, stirring, 4 minutes. Add cabbage and kale; cook until wilted.
Add tomatoes and broth; simmer, covered, 1 hour.

4. Drain beans, but reserve liquid. Puree half the beans with 1 cup
reserved liquid. Stir puree and remaining beans into soup; simmer
uncovered 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with
Parmesan, bruschetta and sausages. Can be made 3 days ahead.

Feel free to post a correction in 25 years if I picked the wrong one.

Elijah
------
does not expect to be reading this group in 25 years

Steve Pope

Apr 3, 2020, 4:38:32 PM4/3/20
Interesting, somewhat non-standard take on a minestrone.

The way I do it, which is fairly commeon, uses beef ribs for the broth,
rather than chicken broth plus bacon. Here, that and the use of
kale (instead of escarole) and white beans (instead of cranberry) pushes
it in the direction of a more of a white bean soup.

Steve

sms

Apr 6, 2020, 8:36:10 PM4/6/20
On Wednesday, September 6, 1995 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Mike Huang wrote:
> I remember years ago, there used to be a chain of restaurants in the bay
> area called "The Farm House" or "Pasquelli's Farm House." (They were
> yellow buildings reminiscant of a country houses -- one in Newark,
> another in Redwood City, etc.)
>
> I still remember that they had my -favorite- minestrone soup, and an
> excellent bread to boot! Unfortunately, they went out of business...
> (Years ago, I went to the "Old San Francisco Express" in Cordellia
> Junction by Fairfield, which had identical soup and bread, but I
> don't know if its still the same.)
>
> Does anyone know of any restaurants in this area which have any
> comparable minestrone soups (or even bread)? In fact, if anyone has
> a lead on the recipie, I'd hazard to make the soup myself! :)
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Mike(y)
> --
> Mike Huang
> mhu...@netcom.com

Yeah the minestrone there was very good. I don't know what compares to
it, but here is a recipe that claims to be what they served:
<http://www.dish-ditty.com/recipe/memories-of-farmhouse-minestrone-soup-recipe/>.

Peter Lawrence

Apr 14, 2020, 5:40:41 PM4/14/20
The recipe on the dish-ditty website includes kale. For me it's hard to
believe that way back then that the Farmhouse actually used kale in their
minestrone. The kale to me seems like a later addition to the minestrone
recipe.

- Peter