Taiwan, Clement St, SF

evergene

Aug 1, 2014, 8:11:57 PM8/1/14
Taiwan was at 6th Ave. and Clement when I lived at 7th & Lake in the
mid-1990s, and it's still there, still has good food, still a bargain.
Mustard Greens with Flat Tofu turned out to be mustard greens with
tofu skin. My companion wanted pot stickers and moo shu chicken, and
said he was "sorry for ordering such a white-boy meal," but no
apologies were necessary, the food was excellent. $20 pre tip, very
large portions. The pot sticker wrapping is made in house, and it's
thicker than is typical, the dumplings are about twice the average
size.
Hope no roundeyes are offended by my use of "white-boy."

Keith Keller

Aug 2, 2014, 12:55:00 AM8/2/14
On 2014-08-02, evergene <ge...@geeaitcheekaygee.com> wrote:
> My companion wanted pot stickers and moo shu chicken, and
> said he was "sorry for ordering such a white-boy meal,"

How is that a white-boy meal? I know lots of Chinese who eat both
potstickers and mu shu X.

> Hope no roundeyes are offended by my use of "white-boy."

You should write "no roundeyes were harmed in the eating of this
dinner".

--keith

--
kkeller...@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

Tim May

Aug 2, 2014, 6:22:27 AM8/2/14
Didn't you say you were part slant? As a slant, or an n-word, you are
free to use all of the usual abbreviations and appelations.

If you are at least 95.841% Caucasian, you are required to say in a
hushed, apologetic tone "Did you hear that she used the n-word?"

Meanwhile, the schwarzes freely say nigger this, nigger that, don't nig
me up, let's nigger-rig that AC unit, nigger please, etc.

The Top Nigga must be angry at them as he burns off Africa with Ebola.

--
Tim May

evergene

Aug 2, 2014, 11:34:23 AM8/2/14
Keith Keller wrote:

>On 2014-08-02, evergene <ge...@geeaitcheekaygee.com> wrote:
>> My companion wanted pot stickers and moo shu chicken, and
>> said he was "sorry for ordering such a white-boy meal,"
>
>How is that a white-boy meal? I know lots of Chinese who eat both
>potstickers and mu shu X.

Here's the context: we were looking at the hand-lettered signs on the
wall that announced dishes like "hot spicy tripe" and things with pork
blood in them, and I mentioned that I used to make it a policy always
to order the strangest thing on the menu, at any restaurant, but that
I don't do that now. That was when he made the "white boy meal"
comment.

But, yeah, they were serving a lot of orders pot stickers to a lot of
Chinese people.

>> Hope no roundeyes are offended by my use of "white-boy."
>
>You should write "no roundeyes were harmed in the eating of this
>dinner".

This roundeye had leftover moo shu chicken for dinner tonight.

Ian B MacLure

Aug 3, 2014, 12:48:21 AM8/3/14
evergene <ge...@geeaitcheekaygee.com> wrote in
As long as we can still play that funky music we'll
be OK.

Steve Pope

Aug 3, 2014, 1:25:41 AM8/3/14
Ian B MacLure <i...@svpal.org> wrote:

>evergene <ge...@geeaitcheekaygee.com> wrote in

>> Hope no roundeyes are offended by my use of "white-boy."
>
> As long as we can still play that funky music we'll
> be OK.

First lay down the boogie.

Steve

Norbert K

Mar 22, 2021, 1:00:35 PM3/22/21
Is this Taiwan Restaurant run by the same family that ran the Taiwan Restaurant on University in Berkeley? I *loved* that place.

sms

Mar 24, 2021, 11:28:12 AM3/24/21
Don't think so.

There's also a Taiwan Restaurant in San Jose, also unrelated
<http://www.taiwanrestaurantsj.com/html/2020Menu.pdf> but the one in San
Jose is an American-Chinese restaurant and it doesn't serve Taiwanese food.

We have several Taiwanese restaurants in Cupertino, Saratoga, and west
San Jose.

me

Mar 30, 2021, 12:06:31 AM3/30/21
Chick'n'Tea is Taiwanese, on El Camino and Fair Oaks, Sunnyvale. Very popular.

When I used to ride the light rail and the Safeway girl on the loudspeaker announced the stops, I thought the spelling was "Farouks" like in Saudi Arabia.

d.