1640 going bye bye...

Mike Ward

Mar 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/29/96
In article <4ji0e3$4...@mark.ucdavis.edu> mays@indigo (Skip May) writes:

>Might as well be the one to let the cat out of the bag. The "real
>license list" came in the mail. Guess where KXBT is going...?
>Down
> Down
> Down
> To 1630KHz.....KC to you older crowd.

When's it happening?

>Look for another station to pop up on 1700KHz also from "East of
>Sacramento". No other "nearby" expanded band licenses were granted that I
>know about. Christ! after all that work #%$&*^#!!!

That wouldn't happen to be KAHI/950 in Auburn, would it? I know they were on
one of the original lists but I can't remember what frequency.

Mike

Bill Smith

Mar 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/29/96
In article <4ji0e3$4...@mark.ucdavis.edu>, Skip May <mays@indigo> wrote:

>Guess where KXBT is going?

> Down
> To 1630KHz.....KC to you older crowd.
>Christ! after all that work #%$&*^#!!!

Yes, but maibe I can recieve it in the car if I crank my old analog knob
hard to the right. The receiver stops short of 1640...

73 de Bill, AB6MT -- still on 1925 KC :-)
de bill...@crl.com

Skip May

Mar 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/30/96
You read it right... KXBT 1640 is going off the air... soon!

Drum roll please?

Might as well be the one to let the cat out of the bag. The "real
license list" came in the mail. Guess where KXBT is going...?
Down
Down

Down
To 1630KHz.....KC to you older crowd.

Look for another station to pop up on 1700KHz also from "East of

Sacramento". No other "nearby" expanded band licenses were granted that I

know about. Christ! after all that work #%$&*^#!!!

Opp's gotta go....
One of the "Classic Rock Staions" I surf across is playing "Amiee" by
Pure Prarie League.... back in time I go to Amnesia Lane.

First with the news "here"!

Skip May

John Higdon

Mar 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/30/96
In article <4jiavb$g...@crl9.crl.com>, bils...@crl.com (Bill Smith) wrote:

> Yes, but maibe I can recieve it in the car if I crank my old analog knob
> hard to the right. The receiver stops short of 1640...

None of my radios can pick up any of those new-fangled frequencies--and I
certainly have no plans to buy any new AM radios in the forseeable future.
Nor do most people, I would imagine.

--
John Higdon | P.O. Box 7648 | +1 408 264 4115 | FAX:
jo...@ati.com | San Jose, CA 95150 | +1 500 FOR-A-MOO |+1 408 264 4407

David A. Kaye

Mar 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/30/96
John Higdon wrote the quoted material below:

" None of my radios can pick up any of those new-fangled frequencies--and I
" certainly have no plans to buy any new AM radios in the forseeable future.
" Nor do most people, I would imagine.

If this were the case the Good Guys and Circuit City would have hung it
up a long time ago. Nearly everyone I know has a tuner that can get the
extended band, either on their home stereo system or in their car. Geek
that I am, I have only a little walkperson that was designed to get it;
and my DX-440 which appears to have it merely as window dressing.

--
(c) 1996 Seattle Washington is closer to Vancouver
David Kaye BC Canada than to Vancouver Washington

John Higdon

Mar 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/30/96
In article <4jk4aa$a...@crl12.crl.com>, d...@crl.com (David A. Kaye) wrote:

> If this were the case the Good Guys and Circuit City would have hung it
> up a long time ago.

Really! You mean those hoards of people in those stores are buying AM
radios? I had no idea.

Powell E. Way III

Mar 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/30/96
mays@indigo (Skip May) wrote:

>Drum roll please?

>Skip May

Well mail to you bounced,..,um can we have that list please?

Powell

David A. Kaye

Mar 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/30/96
John Higdon wrote the quoted material below:

" Really! You mean those hoards of people in those stores are buying AM

" radios? I had no idea.

Just as you corrected me about TVs and their lack of AGC controls, today
there isn't such a thing as an AM radio. They're AM-FM, and often include
cassette, too. Jim Gabbert's wish (to put an FM section in every radio)
came true without the need for legislation.

--
(c) 1996 Kellogg's Corn Flakes were originally sold
David Kaye by mail order to hospital patients.

David A. Kaye

Mar 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/30/96
John Higdon wrote the quoted material below:

" But alas, there is no requirement for an FM radio to contain an AM
" section. In fact, most high-end FM tuners do NOT have AM. And where did
" you say I could buy a cheap AM stereo radio?

<sigh> You missed the point again. You asked who in the audience owned
radios which could tune 1600-1700. I told you that *many* people have
bought these new radios, since most radios today have both FM and AM
sections. So, the answer is that most radio listeners can tune it. True,
if a person doesn't listen to radio, then they probably haven't bought a
new one in the past 10 years. But then, they wouldn't be listening to
KXBT on the new *or* on the old channel anyhow. The short answer is:
KXBT probably doesn't have to worry about finding listeners on 1640, or
1630 or wherever they land.

--
(c) 1996 France has a one-stop supermarket
David Kaye for funeral supplies

Bill Smith

Mar 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/30/96
In article <john-30039...@bovine.ati.com>,

John Higdon <jo...@bovine.ati.com> wrote:
>In article <4jk4aa$a...@crl12.crl.com>, d...@crl.com (David A. Kaye) wrote:
>
>> If this were the case the Good Guys and Circuit City would have hung it
>> up a long time ago.
>
>Really! You mean those hoards of people in those stores are buying AM
>radios? I had no idea.

Gee, I don't buy radios at the Good Guys, but the radios I do come across
all have the upper band, and it is marked "POLICE".. quite a recommendation
for the band if I do say so. Does that mean that all the new stations will
be formatted Rock?

Say, does APR stand for April Phoole Radio?

73 de Bill, AB6MT
bill...@crl.com

John Higdon

Mar 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/30/96
In article <4jkiso$2...@crl5.crl.com>, d...@crl.com (David A. Kaye) wrote:

> Just as you corrected me about TVs and their lack of AGC controls, today
> there isn't such a thing as an AM radio. They're AM-FM, and often include
> cassette, too. Jim Gabbert's wish (to put an FM section in every radio)
> came true without the need for legislation.

But alas, there is no requirement for an FM radio to contain an AM

section. In fact, most high-end FM tuners do NOT have AM. And where did
you say I could buy a cheap AM stereo radio?

John Higdon

Mar 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/31/96
In article <4jl7os$d...@crl2.crl.com>, d...@crl.com (David A. Kaye) wrote:

> The short answer is:
> KXBT probably doesn't have to worry about finding listeners on 1640, or
> 1630 or wherever they land.

Why is it that KXBT does not have to worry about finding listeners on 1640
or 1630 or wherever they land when all those other stations between 540
and 1610 are desperate to find listeners (with notable exceptions, of
course)?

Is that the secret? If KKSJ moves above 1610, will it then get some listeners?

John Higdon

Mar 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/31/96
In article <4jl960$l...@jeeves.usfca.edu>, sen...@well.com (Covell) wrote:

> Try J&R Music World (N.Y.), they have the Sony SRF-42 Walkman for about
> 30 bucks I think.

Next time I'm in New York I'll pick one up.

David A. Kaye

Mar 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/31/96
John Higdon wrote the quoted material below:

" Why is it that KXBT does not have to worry about finding listeners on 1640

" or 1630 or wherever they land when all those other stations between 540
" and 1610 are desperate to find listeners (with notable exceptions, of
" course)?

What I meant (are you just teasing me?) is that they're going to find the
same number of listeners on 1640 or 1630 they found on 1190, and probably
more because they won't be drowned out by KEX during morning or evening
drive. In short: their success will not depend on their frequency, only
in their programming.

" Is that the secret? If KKSJ moves above 1610, will it then get some
" listeners?

If they play less Matt Munroe they might.... :)

--
(c) 1996 It is impossible to drive from one end of
David Kaye San Diego to the other without leaving town

Covell

Mar 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/31/96
jo...@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:

> In fact, most high-end FM tuners do NOT have AM.

Except, of course, the TU-680NAB.

> And where did you say I could buy a cheap AM stereo radio?

Try J&R Music World (N.Y.), they have the Sony SRF-42 Walkman for about
30 bucks I think.

< John Covell >
< University of San Francisco >
< sen...@well.com >
< http://storm.usfca.edu/~covejo00/index.html >

Jim Duncan

Mar 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/31/96
John Higdon (jo...@bovine.ati.com) wrote:

: None of my radios can pick up any of those new-fangled frequencies--and I

: certainly have no plans to buy any new AM radios in the forseeable future.
: Nor do most people, I would imagine.

You should check your digitally tuned radios, such as in the car.
Many AM radios from the late 80s on seem to have the extended
capability. The manufacturers don't bother to use this as a
selling point it seems, but it is often there nowadays on many
radios I've tried it on.
--
SEMPER | w ["] http://holst.kbay.com
FAC | |___|_____...ji...@okay.com - Jim Duncan

Robert Thurlow

Mar 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/31/96
In article <john-30039...@bovine.ati.com>,
John Higdon <jo...@bovine.ati.com> wrote:

>None of my radios can pick up any of those new-fangled frequencies--and I
>certainly have no plans to buy any new AM radios in the forseeable future.
>Nor do most people, I would imagine.

I haven't exactly been binging on radios, John, but I have no less
than four ways to tune 1610-1700 KHz:

Sangean ATS-803A AM/FM/shortwave set
Carver TX-11a AM stereo/FM stereo tuner
GE Superradio III radio
Sony car AM/FM/cassette unit

It's not hard to find coverage of this range these days, unless
you're committed to never buying a radio again. You don't need
to buy one, but I'll bet more people can pick up 1630KHz than
you think.

Rob T

John Higdon

Mar 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/31/96
In article <4jmub7$r...@crl10.crl.com>, d...@crl.com (David A. Kaye) wrote:

> In short: their success will not depend on their frequency, only
> in their programming.

OK, I can accept that. It seemed that you were leaving out the three "P"s.

> If they play less Matt Munroe they might.... :)

One KKSJ listener (in his mid-twenties, I might add) has complained that
the station plays too much NEWER stuff.

Bill Smith

Mar 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/31/96
Amazing. A Miller Crystal "High Fidelity Tuner" picks up 1640 just fine.

Powell E. Way III

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
d...@crl.com (David A. Kaye) wrote:

>John Higdon wrote the quoted material below:

>" But alas, there is no requirement for an FM radio to contain an AM
>" section. In fact, most high-end FM tuners do NOT have AM. And where did

>" you say I could buy a cheap AM stereo radio?

><sigh> You missed the point again. You asked who in the audience owned

>radios which could tune 1600-1700. I told you that *many* people have
>bought these new radios, since most radios today have both FM and AM
>sections. So, the answer is that most radio listeners can tune it. True,
>if a person doesn't listen to radio, then they probably haven't bought a
>new one in the past 10 years. But then, they wouldn't be listening to

>KXBT on the new *or* on the old channel anyhow. The short answer is:
>KXBT probably doesn't have to worry about finding listeners on 1640, or
>1630 or wherever they land.

My 1946 Philco Console tunes to 1750 (!!) and I Radio Shack WILL get
you a SRF 42 A !!! I have two Technics receivers, that supposedly
stop at 1600 but actually will go to 1700 or so.

Powell (FM?? what's THAT??!!??)

Powell E. Way III

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
sen...@well.com (Covell) wrote:

>In article <john-30039...@bovine.ati.com>
>jo...@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:

>> In fact, most high-end FM tuners do NOT have AM.

>Except, of course, the TU-680NAB.

IF you can get one that works! Carver used to have the TX-11.

>> And where did you say I could buy a cheap AM stereo radio?

>Try J&R Music World (N.Y.), they have the Sony SRF-42 Walkman for about
>30 bucks I think.

And so will <ugh> RS. I wish the durned thing were digital.

Norm Lehfeldt

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
Those who don't wish to purchase a *new* radio encompassing the
expanded band, may wish to purchase an *old* one. Many late '30s
radios go up to 1700khz. The police radios operated there, then. It
was a feature. There are a few sets in my collection--including my
favorite 1937 Zenith--that have the 1650-1750 segment marked "Police."
Anbody know what the actual allocation was?

d...@crl.com (David A. Kaye) wrote:

>John Higdon wrote the quoted material below:

>" None of my radios can pick up any of those new-fangled
frequencies--and I
>" certainly have no plans to buy any new AM radios in the forseeable
future.
>" Nor do most people, I would imagine.

>If this were the case the Good Guys and Circuit City would have hung
it

Colonel Panic

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
In article <john-31039...@bovine.ati.com>,

John Higdon <jo...@bovine.ati.com> wrote:
>In article <4jl960$l...@jeeves.usfca.edu>, sen...@well.com (Covell) wrote:
>> Try J&R Music World (N.Y.), they have the Sony SRF-42 Walkman for about
>> 30 bucks I think.
>
>Next time I'm in New York I'll pick one up.

C'mon, John, this is the 90s. Nobody buys in person anymore. J&R
does mostly mail order. J&R Music World: (800) 221-8180 24hrs

J&R doesn't compete on price as well as some of the other mail-order
houses, but none of the others carries Walkmen (except one carries some
Sonys).

First, I recommend checking Service Merchandise and Best's weekly sale

(c) 1996 Alan Denney al...@informix.com
Disclaimer: Sender under influence of 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine

Colonel Panic

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
In article <4jmub7$r...@crl10.crl.com>, David A. Kaye <d...@crl.com> wrote:
>(c) 1996 It is impossible to drive from one end of
>David Kaye San Diego to the other without leaving town

Same goes for Frisco (the airport is in San Mateo County)

--
(c) 1996 Alan Denney al...@informix.com

Ratio of Californians who have registered to vote or renewed their registration
under the "Motor Voter" law to those who have signed forms indicating that
they decline to register: 1 : 11.5 (3/6/95 Gannett News Service)

Reverend Tweek

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
Norm Lehfeldt <no...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>Those who don't wish to purchase a *new* radio encompassing the
>expanded band, may wish to purchase an *old* one. Many late '30s
>radios go up to 1700khz. The police radios operated there, then. It
>was a feature. There are a few sets in my collection--including my
>favorite 1937 Zenith--that have the 1650-1750 segment marked "Police."
>Anbody know what the actual allocation was?

The following information has come to me via Popular Comunications
(Feb 1990 and August 1988) in Alice Brannigan's column.

"In the 1930's, most police communication took place between 1500 and
2500 Khz."

These were one-way broadcasts. The 30mHz 2-ways, although under developement
and testing that early, were still experimental. It appears that 1934
marked the begining of two-way with the license W2XAT was issued to
the New Rochelle, NY police on 60mHz.

Feb, 90 PC shows a QSL card for WNYF dated 1/30/48 operating on 1630. This
was reportedly the main dispatching station for NYFD in the 30's and 40's.
It pumped 500 watts into a 165 foot tower. The picture QSL shows a couple
of fireboats in action on a smokey situation.

"When WNYF moved off of 1630 Khz in the early 1950's, there was a loud
cry of protest from the station's huge band of steady listeners who were
enraged. They wrote a sea of complaint letters to the NYFD and even
the mayor."

Of course, the move to 30 mHz was forced by the FCC. Oh, the 1948 QSL card
reportedly belongs to Mr PopComm/CB, Tom Kneitel.

The WNYF story is followed by a story on KLX, a 5 watter out of Hotel Oakland
in 1921. It relates a story publised in the September 15, 1989 Oakland Trib.
[Just in case anyone's interested in KNEW history... and to at least make
this post somewhat apropos to BA broadcast.]

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96

From: dun...@okay.com (Jim Duncan)

You should check your digitally tuned radios, such as in the car.
Many AM radios from the late 80s on seem to have the extended
capability. The manufacturers don't bother to use this as a
selling point it seems, but it is often there nowadays on many
radios I've tried it on.
On the other hand, my 1993 Ford truck had a stock radio that did NOT
cover this band. On inquiry, I was told that they weren't required to
cover it, therefore they weren't doing it.
I've got a DC777 in there now.
73, doug

Powell E. Way III

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
Does ANYBODY have the new expanded band list. Also when is 1640
sliding down to 1630. I am planning to take my old Hammarlund up with
me Sunday AM and hooking it to the tower BEFORE I sign on to see what
I hear.....

Powell

Gene Fornario

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
In article <4jkiso$2...@crl5.crl.com> d...@crl.com (David A. Kaye) writes:
>John Higdon wrote the quoted material below:
>
>" Really! You mean those hoards of people in those stores are buying AM
>" radios? I had no idea.
>
>Just as you corrected me about TVs and their lack of AGC controls, today
>there isn't such a thing as an AM radio. They're AM-FM, and often include
>cassette, too. Jim Gabbert's wish (to put an FM section in every radio)
>came true without the need for legislation.

Well, I might venture a plug for those Radio Shack "flavor radios." They
are strictly AM, cost around 6-7 dollars, and actually has pretty decent
sensitivity and sound for a transistor radio.

Gene--

Gene Fornario

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
I have an old Radio Direction Finder that tunes 200-400 KHz (longwave band),
as well as 530-1600 KHz, and 1700-5000KHz. It's a real nice radio receiver
in that it's bullet proof as far as "images" go.

Last night I was able to tune in some of the longwave megawatt outlets in
the Russian Far East. 151 (Komsolmolsk), 189 (Belogorsk), and 234 KHz in
Magadan, all megawatt broadcasters. It's an interesting catch...but the
stations are networked...each of those stations had the same general news
and music programs.

It made me smile to think that while we are dealing with all kinds of
broadcasters, shock jocks, loud talk show hosts, numerous formats that seem
to change every year, the typical catch for someone in Siberia is talk and
folk music. The Russian domestic service is also on 7210 KHz shortwave if
you want a better idea.

Gene--

Paul Grohe

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
On Sun, 31 Mar 1996 09:57:18 -0800,
in newsgroup ba.broadcast,
jo...@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon)
from Green Hills and Cows thoughtfully posted:

> In article <4jl960$l...@jeeves.usfca.edu>, sen...@well.com (Covell) wrote:
>
> > Try J&R Music World (N.Y.), they have the Sony SRF-42 Walkman for about
> > 30 bucks I think.
>
> Next time I'm in New York I'll pick one up.

Actually, one is as close as your local Radio Shack.

They are selling it for $30 (Cat #12-127). And under the Sony name!

I don't know if it tunes the new band, but it is an analog tuner and
probably can be "bent" up to it.

In fact, a lot of old radios probably can be "tweaked" to receive the
new band. BUT this will throw the dial calibration off. There is still
hope for your favorite old AM radio.

Who ever thought we would see the day AM radios would become
obsolete???

Cheers,
Paul Grohe
Paul Grohe National Semiconductor Corp.
Sr. Electronics Technician 2900 Semiconductor Drive
AMPS New Products Eng Group Mail Stop C2693
Mailto:gr...@galaxy.nsc.com Santa Clara, CA. 95052-8090 USA
(408) 721-7389 Tel (408) 721-2513 Fax
Usenet Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed are mine, not NSC's

http://www.national.com

For technical assistance, literature, or samples call:
NORTH AMERICA EUROPE
(800) 272-9959 +49 (0) 180-532 78 32
mailto:sup...@tevm2.nsc.com mailto:europe....@nsc.com

David A. Kaye

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
Gene Fornario wrote the quoted material below:

" Well, I might venture a plug for those Radio Shack "flavor radios." They
" are strictly AM, cost around 6-7 dollars, and actually has pretty decent
" sensitivity and sound for a transistor radio.

Okay, I take it back. But for the same price you can get an AM-FM radio
at Walgreen's, Thrifty/PayLess, or other fine stores.

--
(c) 1996 "Speak out. You've got to speak out
David Kaye against the madness." - Steven Stills

Jim Duncan

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
George Byrd (jt4...@best.com) wrote:

: My old NAD 7155 (over 10 years old) has an AM tuner section that
: covers to 1710 Khz. No AM stereo, tho.

And I just noticed that I can get KXBT 1640 in Scotts Valley on my
1983 Realistic (digitally tuned) DX400. However, my late-80s
Realistic car radio only does 1620 :^( Our 1993 Toyota - a
popular car type - has coverage to 1710 on its stock car radio,
however.

Geez, my consciousness has been raised now that I see I can
enjoy all these new AM radio stations!

David A. Kaye

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
Reverend Tweek wrote the quoted material below:

" Feb, 90 PC shows a QSL card for WNYF dated 1/30/48 operating on 1630. This
" was reportedly the main dispatching station for NYFD in the 30's and 40's.
" It pumped 500 watts into a 165 foot tower. The picture QSL shows a couple
" of fireboats in action on a smokey situation.

When I was little, the San Leandro police had a station at around 1610 or
so. Other cities nearby phoned in their dispatches to San Leandro for
transmission. We used to listen all the time. I think this went out of
existence about 1960 or so.

ALSO, there is the remnant of a 1600-1700 station owned by the SF fire
department on (I think) Turk and Buchanan or somewhere around there. Look
for the self-supporting tower. There used to be 2 towers supporting a
horizontal wire of some kind. The other tower was torn down and replaced
by a tennis court. SFFD still used the site, but on UHF. Does anybody
else know more about the SFFD site?

" The WNYF story is followed by a story on KLX, a 5 watter out of Hotel Oakland
" in 1921. It relates a story publised in the September 15, 1989 Oakland Trib.
" [Just in case anyone's interested in KNEW history...

And you stop THERE? Please do go on.

--
(c) 1996 "We chased our pleasures here, dug out treasures
David Kaye there. Can you still recall the time we cried? Break

David A. Kaye

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
Colonel Panic wrote the quoted material below:

" >(c) 1996 It is impossible to drive from one end of
" >David Kaye San Diego to the other without leaving town

" Same goes for Frisco (the airport is in San Mateo County)

There is a difference here. SFIA is actually *in* San Mateo county. San
Bruno? In the case of San Diego, there is a connection between the
downtown part and the part wayyy down south by the border. BUT the
connection is only about 20 feet wide and runs through San Diego Bay.
However, because a direct connection can be traced via that 20 foot strip,
San Diego has tremendous annexation powers, which they no doubt planned
fairly early on.

--
(c) 1996 It is possible for 25 hours
David Kaye to exist on earth at one time

Powell E. Way III

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
gr...@galaxy.nsc.com (Paul Grohe) wrote:

>On Sun, 31 Mar 1996 09:57:18 -0800,
>in newsgroup ba.broadcast,
>jo...@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon)
>from Green Hills and Cows thoughtfully posted:

>> In article <4jl960$l...@jeeves.usfca.edu>, sen...@well.com (Covell) wrote:
>>
>> > Try J&R Music World (N.Y.), they have the Sony SRF-42 Walkman for about
>> > 30 bucks I think.
>>
>> Next time I'm in New York I'll pick one up.

>Actually, one is as close as your local Radio Shack.

>They are selling it for $30 (Cat #12-127). And under the Sony name!

>I don't know if it tunes the new band, but it is an analog tuner and
>probably can be "bent" up to it.

Yes it does...mine was used to tape WJDM when they played oldies and
before they became The Yellow Brick Road station.

>In fact, a lot of old radios probably can be "tweaked" to receive the
>new band. BUT this will throw the dial calibration off. There is still
>hope for your favorite old AM radio.

>Who ever thought we would see the day AM radios would become
>obsolete???

Obsolete? My 1946 Philco console (with [shudder] locktal tubes plays
anywhere from 1 to 6 or more hours a day. I had to replace a 7AF7
recently, and that's the first thing it's needed since I got it in the
early 80's......

Mark S. Roberts

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96

FYI, M Street Journal is selling it to subscribers for $5 and
to nonsubscribers for $15 (PO Box 1479, Madison TN 37116).

There was a brief blurb on it in the FCC Daily Digest on 25th March
but nothing (else about it) at the FCC FTP site.
Mark Roberts | Kansas City, Missouri (USA) | http://www.crl.com/~transvox/
"The Fire Ant Danger in Your Area Is: No Danger"
--from the Weather Channel forecast display for Kansas City

Mark S. Roberts

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
On Mon, 01 Apr 1996 23:10:20 GMT Powell E. Way III (pow...@scsn.net) wrote:
| Does ANYBODY have the new expanded band list. Also when is 1640
| sliding down to 1630. I am planning to take my old Hammarlund up with
| me Sunday AM and hooking it to the tower BEFORE I sign on to see what
| I hear.....

Update (thanks to Lou Schneider, who just saved me $5 with this info!):

It is on the FCC Web site under the Audio Services Division page:
http://www.fcc.gov/mmb/asd/asd.html

Reverend Tweek

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
In article <4jq1gq$b...@crl13.crl.com>, David A. Kaye <d...@crl.com> wrote:
>Reverend Tweek wrote the quoted material below:

>When I was little, the San Leandro police had a station at around 1610 or
>so. Other cities nearby phoned in their dispatches to San Leandro for
>transmission. We used to listen all the time. I think this went out of
>existence about 1960 or so.

Back then... well, a few years later, when I was a little squirt, I
used to hear Livermore PD on a big Zenith console we had... BUT... I
think that *had* to have been in the 45 Mhz range since I happen to have
the radio head from that console with me here in Moraga... It has four
bands "55-160" AM, "9-12"(Mhz) AM, "88-108" FM and "42-49" FM. I have
no idea as to the vintage (as that if I recall, is on the sticker on the
cabinet) but the radio head is Model 12H082R with a serial of D266xxx.

This Zenith stops at 1600Kc... Maybe a model from the 50's?

>by a tennis court. SFFD still used the site, but on UHF. Does anybody
>else know more about the SFFD site?

It seems that about 1/2 of my PopComms are archived where I can't find
them... I'll keep my eyes open for SFFD if I find them.

>" The WNYF story is followed by a story on KLX, a 5 watter out of Hotel Oakland
>" in 1921. It relates a story publised in the September 15, 1989 Oakland Trib.
>" [Just in case anyone's interested in KNEW history...
>
>And you stop THERE? Please do go on.

Sorry... Not having seen the Trib story, I didn't know how much was added
to the article... or if it was already known data.

The article (in PopCom) asks the question "When did KLX first go on the
air." The Trib article mentioned (according to PopCom) that KLX went
on the air in 1921 with "Little Jimmy", a five watt transmitter in the
Hotel Oakland. [Is/was that the hotel on San Pablo near Grand Ave...
across from Greyhound?]

Alice Brannigan found it curious that the 1921 Broadcast Station Records
show no listing for KLX. While the Trib article claims KLX started
broadcasting July 2, 1921 (before WBZ and KDKA) she suspects that the
station which went on the air from Hotel Oakland was 6XAJ experimental
licsensed to Preston Allen and that the license for KLX was issued in
1922.

It goes on to mention, that in 1923 KLX broadcast with 50 watts from
the Tribune Tower with a rig nicknamed "Powerful Katrinka". Later the
station increased to 500 watts, moved to 1270 Kc, and then to 880 Kc.

PopCom has a picture of a KLX QSL from 1931... I'll try to replicate
it here... This is on station letterhead:

\ /
-- K L X --
Tribune / \ Radio
Tower==============================================Receiver
Pic 500 WATTS 508.2 METERS 590 KILO Pic
OWNED AND OPERATED
BY THE
-- Oakland @ Tribune --
Oakland, California

1) Those lines around "KLX" are the typical "Radio Lightning Sparks".
2) "508.2" is crossed out, and the updated wavelength is handwritten.
3) "590" is crossed out and "880" is handwritten in.
4) The two pics are B/W sketches inside circles.
5) The "-- Oakland @ Tribune --" is my attempt to depict THE standard
tribune logo.
6) The verification is addressed to a listener in Philadelphia PA, and
signed by Charles Lloyd, Program Director, KLX.

The article continues with KLX going to 1Kw in the mid 30's and moving
to 910 Kc just prior to WWII. From there, it moves into modern day
history with the callsign change to KEWB in 1959... Uhm... and something
I'm interested in hearing more about...

"It didn't take very long for KEWB's owners to annoy the
FCC. In 1960 the FCC chided them for starting an amoeba
scare, and for airing an 'outer space voice' type of
production the FCC termed 'alarming and vulgar'."

That's about all of the article. It jumps right to current day (1989)
and "5Kw on 910 as KNEW" without any history of the 28 years in between.

Hope the above satisfies your curiosity... but now I want to know
more about this "alarming and vulgar" production.

David A. Kaye

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
Reverend Tweek wrote the quoted material below:

" bands "55-160" AM, "9-12"(Mhz) AM, "88-108" FM and "42-49" FM. I have
" no idea as to the vintage [....]

I'd say 1946 to 1948.

" Hotel Oakland. [Is/was that the hotel on San Pablo near Grand Ave...
" across from Greyhound?]

Well, there's a Hotel Oakland down around 11th and Franklin I believe.
Nice old place.

" That's about all of the article. It jumps right to current day (1989)
" and "5Kw on 910 as KNEW" without any history of the 28 years in between.

Aside from Joe Dolan doing a talkshow at KNEW, not much else *happened* at
KNEW in the 28 years in between. I remember the day Metromedia took over
KEWB/KNEW and we all thought this was going to be GREAT! Some bigtime New
York company brings *real* radio to the Bay Area. A few days later we're
saying, "Is that IT?" I liked it better as KEWB.

And whatever became of the KEWB anthem? I heard it used periodically on
the oldies KSFO some years back (it's all instrumental and ran about 2
1/2 minutes). I thought that was a classy anthem. Very mysterious
nighttime kind of sound to it....

" Hope the above satisfies your curiosity... but now I want to know
" more about this "alarming and vulgar" production.

In the 1960s, "hell" and "damn" were alarming and vulgar words. They
were clipped out of the Tonight Show regularly. So, who knows what the
FCC of the day meant.

--
(c) 1996 The Japanese company Kanebo produces underpants
David Kaye which purposely release sweaty smells

Covell

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96
In article <john-31039...@bovine.ati.com>
jo...@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:

> > Try J&R Music World (N.Y.), they have the Sony SRF-42 Walkman for about
> > 30 bucks I think.
>
> Next time I'm in New York I'll pick one up.

No need to wait til then. J&R does a big catalog business, fast polite
service. Give 'em a try.

Covell

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96
In article <315f7c85...@139.187.128.43>
gr...@galaxy.nsc.com (Paul Grohe) writes:

> Actually, [the Sony SRF-42] is as close as your local Radio Shack.

> They are selling it for $30 (Cat #12-127). And under the Sony name!
>
> I don't know if it tunes the new band, but it is an analog tuner and
> probably can be "bent" up to it.

The SRF-42 does cover the expanded band, as do most radios manufactured
these days. If I'm not mistaken, the FCC actually required this.

Mr.News

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96
In article <4jmub7$r...@crl10.crl.com>, d...@crl.com says...

It is impossible to drive from one end of
San Diego to the other without leaving town.

It can't be done going North/South...

But it CAN be done going East/West via El Cajon Bl. or University
Avenue.

Details! Details!

Mr.News