Gil Hile -- San Bruno Mercury dealer/Channel 7's All Night Movie Man

spamtr...@gmail.com

Jan 1, 2015, 12:27:43 AM1/1/15
For the grandson who replied to an old post. Does anyone remember this guy
from the 1960s?

http://americanradiohistory.com/Archive-BC/BC-1965/1965-02-22-BC.pdf

Page 34 (24?)

He also sold English Fords, according to the internet.

David Kaye

Jan 1, 2015, 4:41:04 AM1/1/15
<spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote
Interesting. Gil Hile put 90% of his ad budget into TV. The article is a
bit premature because he bankrupted himself by overspending on advertising
as I recall. There's a saying, "Advertising doesn't cost; it pays." Well,
the saying is wrong. Advertising costs plenty if you don't plan it
rationally.

---

shay...@gmail.com

Dec 28, 2015, 8:16:17 PM12/28/15
He's my grandfather I'm making a documentary about it.

David Kaye

Dec 29, 2015, 1:44:19 AM12/29/15
<shay...@gmail.com> wrote

> He's my grandfather I'm making a documentary about it.

Didn't he go bankrupt due to overspending on advertising? That's what I'd
heard. I do remember that he bought a LOT of time on channel 7.

Ciccio

Dec 29, 2015, 1:02:38 PM12/29/15
Please post when your documentary is done and showing. Your
grandfather's "All Night Movies" program was airing about the time it
was rebellious for us kids at the time to stay up into an the wee hours.

His theme song "Cast Your Fate To The Wind" became our theme. To this
day when I hear the song it evokes my fond memories of exploring the
late nights as kids. Most certainly those memories include your
grandfather on the tube.

Ciccio

chrisj...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2018, 1:50:48 PM8/16/18
I used to play little league with Danny Hile in San Rafael in the 60’s. Wasn’t he his son?

Mike Isola

Feb 9, 2024, 7:11:02 AMFeb 9
I grew up in San Bruno and have a nice Gil Hile story from when I was a little kid. My dad and I spent one night with Gil as he did TV spots from his San Bruno Mercury dealership. I recently retired as a broadcast journalist and Gil Hile was one of my first introductions to television production.