Why does KTVU's signal strength fade during afternoons?

Mike D.

Jul 15, 2021, 12:39:55 AM7/15/21
Starting with four or five bars on my digital tuner around 1 PM, Channel 2
will fade out of watchability by 2:45 or so in recent days. Is there some t
echnical reason related to heat, or sunspots? This is the only channel I ge
t that this happens to. I live near Campbell.

Further, there used to be two transmitters for KTVU, but now there only see
ms to be one.

Thanks for any info.

Pete

Aug 14, 2021, 8:55:27 AM8/14/21
Not sure if I have posting permission here, but I'll try... (:-/)
Sorry it's a little late, but I just remembered I wasn't subscribed.

In article <d9e27d9e-d379-4bd4-...@googlegroups.com>,
Mike D. <spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Starting with four or five bars on my digital tuner around 1 PM, Channel 2
>will fade out of watchability by 2:45 or so in recent days. Is there some t
>echnical reason related to heat, or sunspots? This is the only channel I ge
>t that this happens to. I live near Campbell.

This happens to me too, though not at such consistent times,and sometimes
to other stations like KQED. Other times KTVU will come blasting in, and
another station will be weak. ATM both KTVU and KQED are a bit flaky, but
5, 7, and 11 are full strength!

A couple of years ago, I tagged one of the KTVU engineers via email,
and he seemed to think it a common phenomenon. He blamed the bay!
He thinks the signal gets refracted upward, but why it should happen
particularly to channel 2, I don't know. I think 2's real channel
is 44, and 44 (KBCW) is 45, but KBCW is coming in just fine.
Just odd...

>Further, there used to be two transmitters for KTVU, but now there only see
>ms to be one.

Don't remember that. Before all the 'transitions', I guess.

-- Pete --