Try Again: Replace IDE/PATA with SSD?

David Kaye

Aug 21, 2015, 10:40:09 PM8/21/15
My last post seems to have disappeared, so I'll try again. Due to the
slower speed of the IDE interface, is it worthwhile from a speed standpoint
to install an SSD rather than a regular HD? Wouild there be any noticeable
speed difference? We're talking 2 1/2 inch laptop here.

---

Don Freeman

Aug 23, 2015, 5:50:03 PM8/23/15
On 8/21/2015 7:40 PM, David Kaye wrote:
> My last post seems to have disappeared, so I'll try again. Due to the
> slower speed of the IDE interface, is it worthwhile from a speed standpoint
> to install an SSD rather than a regular HD? Wouild there be any noticeable
> speed difference? We're talking 2 1/2 inch laptop here.

IDE? How old IS this laptop?

--
__
(oO) www.cosmoslair.com

Gregory Sutter

Aug 25, 2015, 12:55:03 PM8/25/15
On 2015-08-22, David Kaye <sfdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> My last post seems to have disappeared, so I'll try again. Due to the
> slower speed of the IDE interface, is it worthwhile from a speed standpoint
> to install an SSD rather than a regular HD? Wouild there be any noticeable
> speed difference? We're talking 2 1/2 inch laptop here.

Even with a PATA interface, an SSD will still provide a huge speedup.
It's significantly more rare to saturate the data bus than to exceed
the instantaneous I/O capacity of the drive.

Do you have this laptop mounted on a bicycle? An SSD will also
withstand road vibrations significantly better than a rotating disk. :)

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless
mailto:gsu...@zer0.org

David Kaye

Aug 30, 2015, 3:35:29 AM8/30/15
"Don Freeman" <free...@cosmoslair.com> wrote

> IDE? How old IS this laptop?

15 years old, but even laptops that are 11 years old still have PATA/IDE.
Sorry for posting to the wrong newsgroup. I just now realized that it
arrived here.

David Kaye

Aug 30, 2015, 3:37:56 AM8/30/15
"Gregory Sutter" <gsu...@zer0.org> wrote

> Even with a PATA interface, an SSD will still provide a huge speedup.
> It's significantly more rare to saturate the data bus than to exceed
> the instantaneous I/O capacity of the drive.

Heck, I get better responses here than on ba.internet and a couple of the
comp.* newsgroups.

> Do you have this laptop mounted on a bicycle? An SSD will also
> withstand road vibrations significantly better than a rotating disk. :)

Heh...it's not for me; it's for a customer who loves her 15 year old Dell
laptop, mainly because of its keyboard and its light weight. She upgraded
from Windows 2000 to XP and except for the hard drive having r/w errors it's
otherwise working just fine.

Don Freeman

Aug 31, 2015, 8:30:02 PM8/31/15
On 8/30/2015 12:35 AM, David Kaye wrote:
> "Don Freeman" <free...@cosmoslair.com> wrote
>
>> IDE? How old IS this laptop?
>>

> 15 years old, but even laptops that are 11 years old still have PATA/IDE.
> Sorry for posting to the wrong newsgroup. I just now realized that it
> arrived here.

No problem David, good to know you are still around. Shame though that
the only recent posting to the ba.b newsgroup is an inadvertent cross-post.

--
__
(oO) www.cosmoslair.com
/||\ Cthulhu Saves!!! (In case he needs a midnight snack)

David Kaye

Nov 24, 2015, 8:59:20 PM11/24/15
"Don Freeman" <free...@cosmoslair.com> wrote

> No problem David, good to know you are still around. Shame though that
> the only recent posting to the ba.b newsgroup is an inadvertent
> cross-post.

Looks like a bug in my newsreader. It sometimes jumps back to the first
newsgroup when posting a reply rather than the one I've selected. But it's
intermittent. Odd.