Kinds or Levels of Occupations or Jobs for Which Badges Have Been Most Readily Incorporated

olneck

Sep 3, 2015, 3:07:32 PM9/3/15
to BA Workforce Working Group
Can anyone help me answer the question of what kinds or levels of occupations or jobs have most readily incorporated badges into credentials they consider in hiring and promoting?

I need to give a talk next week at the University of Iowa about badges as credentials, and would like to be able to address this question, at least tentatively.

Thanks very much.

Michael Olneck

Don Presant

Sep 3, 2015, 3:26:16 PM9/3/15
to ba-wor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael:
I think the IT sector should be at or near the top of your list, using
these examples, among others:

Adobe
IBM
Microsoft (see my recent tweet)
ISACA
codeschool / P2PU (and others, I'm sure)
QualIT (NZ example, using SFIA skills framework)

Also Manufacturing Institute's "US Manufacturing Pipeline" program for
Veterans...but I'm not sure about takeup

Educators and Librarians: Educause, YALSA

You can find some of these and a few others in my presentation here:
http://bit.ly/openbadges4tpd

HTH,
Don

Bob Price

Sep 16, 2015, 2:25:38 AM9/16/15
to BA Workforce Working Group
Hi Michael

Two smaller ones from the UK that I know of are a financial services organisation and a housing association. Also the BBC and the NHS in England both have schools education programmes that issue badges.

I didn't know about Adobe and Microsoft Don, I need to follow these up. I have a presentation I am putting together for October and these would be useful names to add

don

Sep 16, 2015, 7:06:44 AM9/16/15
to BA Workforce Working Group
Hi Bob:

This recent article will help:
http://www.fastcompany.com/3046941/most-creative-people/say-hello-to-the-university-of-microsoft

Pretty well all of those technology adopters are Acclaim clients. They recently added Citrix..seems to be a "low-hanging fruit" niche for them: tech certification (although Microsoft is more about business skills)

Here's a display of available badges for Adobe...change the name in the URL to see the others:
https://www.youracclaim.com/org/adobe

Googling Acclaim, badges and the company name should provide plenty of info to round out your presentation.

Cheers,
Don

Mark Aberdour

Sep 17, 2015, 3:34:16 AM9/17/15
to BA Workforce Working Group
Have you checked this page out, Michael?

Don Presant

Sep 17, 2015, 7:48:03 AM9/17/15
to ba-wor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reminder, Mark. Useful, but old. A reminder that the
Workforce group should be rebooting!

--
Don Presant, President, Learning Agents

Mark Aberdour

Sep 17, 2015, 7:50:36 AM9/17/15
to Don Presant, ba-wor...@googlegroups.com
I made quite a few updates to it a month or so back I think. Would be good to keep it current...

Mark Aberdour
Platforms Consultant

LEO
52 Old Steine | Brighton | East Sussex | BN1 1NH | United Kingdom
DDI +441273468891  M +447837184722  Switchboard +441273728686
leolearning.com

SAVE PAPER
Please do not print this e-mail unless absolutely necessary.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.  Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of LEO.  LEO accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email and therefore you should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses.

Leo Learning Limited. Registered in England under Company Number: 2371375. Registered Office: 52 Old Steine, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 1NH, UK

Don Presant

Sep 17, 2015, 7:57:42 AM9/17/15
to ba-wor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I'll do the same...and what about a hash tag for Twitter that we
can scrape?
Something like #openbadges4wk ? Sort of a tag/sub-tag thing..

--
Don Presant, President, Learning Agents

W: 204-219-5933 M: 204-793-4045 TF: 888-229-2889
Web: learningagents.ca
ePortfolio: donpresant.ca
Skype: dpresant Twitter: donpresant

Matching skills, mapping careers, making learning visual
Open Badges | Digital Credentials | ePortfolio | eLearning | eMedia

don

Sep 17, 2015, 8:42:37 AM9/17/15
to BA Workforce Working Group, d...@learningagents.ca
Further to Michael: it's worth mentioning the health sector, at least in Wales and Scotland: PD for professionals, recognition for volunteer carers, etc.
I don't have all the links to hand, but you can probably google pain management (hospital in Wales), SSSC badges, OU Scotland Carer badges...and one just tweeted today for Personal Assistants in Wales: http://pasonlineguidebook.blogspot.ca/
I guess I should get this into the etherpad (SSSC already there - thanks Mark)!

don

Sep 17, 2015, 8:50:29 AM9/17/15
to BA Workforce Working Group
Further to this, it's worth saying that the Acclaim platform, although based on the Mozilla OBI, is not completely open. Although you can share to social media, you can't import or export badges

Here's an FAQ from another client, the Linux Professional Institute (gosh, another tech audience):
https://www.lpi.org/acclaim/

Can my Acclaim profile include badges that have been issued to me from other platforms?

Acclaim does not currently support the uploading of badges issued by other platforms.

Can I export badges issued from Acclaim to other badge storing platforms?

Not at this time. The current open badge infrastructure standards do not allow for real-time verification of the badges outside of the Acclaim platform, which is a main priority for ensuring verification. Acclaim is working with the open badge community on a solution for this.

jarin.schmidt

Sep 17, 2015, 1:42:58 PM9/17/15
to BA Workforce Working Group
Given the references to Acclaim, I thought I would chime in really quick. While we are seeing a lot of momentum in the IT industry over at Acclaim, there is a lot of badging happening outside of IT as well. In addition, we are seeing badges used across all "levels" whether it be for accomplishments in higher-ed, early professionals or even seasoned professionals.

When we first launched, we had an integration with Mozilla's Backpack, but found it to be extremely brittle, under-used and most importantly, we noticed that it didn't validate in "real-time." For these reasons, we have suppressed that functionality. Noteworthy, we allow our issuers to export their data in an OBI-compliant format.

We are committed to interoperability and will continue to evaluate this approach as the market matures / more options to render badges in their native formate emerge.

Jarin Schmidt
Director, Acclaim Services

don

Sep 17, 2015, 2:14:01 PM9/17/15
to BA Workforce Working Group
Thanks for the clarifications Jarin, and it's great to see you in this forum. Congratulations on issuing over 1 million badges; you must be doing something right.

When you say "export data", do you mean download badges, or something else? What would be the workflow of getting an Acclaim badge into another badge storage platform?

Don

Bob Price

Sep 19, 2015, 3:22:59 AM9/19/15
to BA Workforce Working Group
A great achievement Jarin I agree.

As well as Citrix and Adobe, would you be able to list some of the other companies using your platform?

Regards
Bob