By Mathurin Kerbusso on Jun 10, 2022 04:44 pm
Unto the people of the Known World who will be journeying to Lilies War, comes this missive from Queen Magdalena,
I hope your preparations are going well, and look forward to seeing you at The War of the Lilies!
His Majesty and I have an edict that prohibits seafood or fish at events. Lilies is not exempt from this edict. However, no one will be policing your cooler, or checking your camp.
Allow me to explain the reason for this edict, and then We would please ask you to use your best judgment, and courteous behavior.
I have a pretty severe seafood allergy. It is both a food allergy and an airborne allergy.
If I eat even small amounts of fish or seafood (including, but not limited to, worcestershire sauce and caesar dressing), I get hives, scratchy eyes, and inflamed airways. It’s that last bit that is most concerning.
The airborne aspect of this allergy is the sneaky part, and is why we ask that seafood and fish not be present at events. Fish being cooked in my presence will trigger an anaphylactic reaction. Anaphylaxis includes airway restriction and sharp decrease in blood pressure (which is why it is often called anaphylactic shock). Not breathing really sucks. The decrease in blood pressure means fatigue, or even loss of consciousness.
But, it is not just cooking seafood that can get me. The smell of seafood will lead to a reaction, albeit less severe. Talking to someone who has eaten seafood, and inhaling their exhalations can lead to a reaction. These reactions are not, so far, life threatening. But, the sore throat, runny nose, burning eyes are unpleasant.
As Queen, I do not always have the option of simply leaving an event, as I do when I am not the queen. Additionally, a common side effect of being exposed to seafood is laryngitis. In any situation, this is annoying. But as Queen, it is pretty problematic.
Yes, I have rescue medication. They all have side effects, and none is a perfect cure. Benadryl makes me sleepy. My rescue inhaler makes my heart race. My epi-pen comes with a ride in an ambulance (no exceptions).
I hope you will read this and understand that I am not being precious. I am not trying to inflict my personal distaste for something on others. This is a real health issue for me.
Peace. Love. Calontir.
Read in browser »
By Mathurin Kerbusso on Jun 10, 2022 01:03 pm
Reposted from Facebook, from Galen MacColmain, Kingdom Seneschal:
Good morning Calontir! After extensive review of currently available data, and in consultation with Their Majesties, it has been decided to adjust Calontir’s COVID Guidelines for event attendance. If you have any questions regarding the guidelines please contact me at Sene...@calontir.org. The new guidelines are as follows…
Current Rules for Calontir Event Attendance (effective June 13, 2022)
- COVIDSafe – The COVIDSafe policy is separate from these guidelines, and will remain in place until the criteria for suspension have been satisfied. More information on the COVIDSafe policy can be found at https://www.calontir.org/covidsafe/.
- Masks are not required outdoors.
- While indoor masking is generally encouraged, those individuals who meet the CDC definition of “Fully Vaccinated” may choose not to wear a mask indoors.
- All those who do not meet the CDC definition of “Fully Vaccinated” must wear masks covering the nose and mouth while indoors, save those under 24 months of age.
- There are no restrictions on food at this time.
- The only restriction at this time is the current Society prohibition on the use of shared drinking vessels for water bearing.
Requests from the Crown:
- If you are medically able to get the COVID Vaccine, please do so. If you are due for a booster, please get one.
- Please do not attend gatherings if you are not feeling well. If someone in your household is Covid positive, or symptomatic, please stay home.
- Please respect the comfort levels of those who wish to follow more stringent masking and distancing practices than are strictly required.
- The SCA is an organization of chivalry and community. Please remember these values and help us all set a good example for the rest of the Known World.
In all things kindness, peace, and love.
Read in browser »
Announcement: Pennsic Covid Policies
Lilies 2022 Class Spreadsheet
Tournament of Valor Court Summaries, AS 57
Queen’s Prize Tournament Court Summary, May 21, A.S. 57
From Their Royal Majesties: Virtual Court – Kingdom Law Change