BAS - Solar Halo Content - Results

Sudhash Natarajan

Jun 6, 2021, 1:34:57 AM6/6/21
to Bangalore Astronomical Society

Dear all...

Here are the most awaited results of our Sun Halo picture contest.

The judges went through all the submissions meticulously and the volunteering team rigorously evaluated all entries for the eligibility criteria. It was one of the toughest decisions that they had to make.

First of all, kudos to all who decided to look up the skies that day and double kudos to those who clicked it.

Sun's halo, 22° Halo as its called, is created by refractive surfaces of high altitude hexagonal ice crystals.

The winners are, not in any particular order...

* Daiveekram
* Akanksha P
* Pramod K S
* Rupal Katare

And to name the superb-capture-effort special mentions...

* Girish Kumar Sheshappa
* Swathi Hiremath
* Pallavi G Achar
* A Raghavendra Praveen
* G Srinatha
* Srinivas Bhat
* Suman Vajjala

Congrats, once again.

Au revoir, till we are back for more contests.

Regards,
BAS Team

P.S. We shall be individually contacting the winners to arrange for their prizes to be collected.

=====================Comments from the Judges=========================

Rupal Katare

Prajval Shastri : The 360degree rainbow at its best.

Hemanth Hariyani : Beautiful colors on the halo - a true 360 rainbow!

Pramod K S

Prajval Shastri : The huge Sun Halo with a tiny flower - its vivid colours heightened by the Sun, only to blunt the vibgyor of the halo… This topped for visual appeal

Hemanth Hariyani : A flower with a halo! This is a beautiful composition and very artistic. Looking at this image makes me feel closer to nature!

Akanksha P

Prajval Shastri : Congratulations on an image that captures the vibgyor Sun halo, the greyness within it, the fierceness of the Sunlight via the diffraction spikes at the buildings sharp edge, and the raptor silhouette that tells us its high in the sky - this topped for capturing all the physics.

Hemant Hariyani : There is so much going on this image - the perfect semi circle, the sun at the very edge of the wall and the bird. This photograph almost tells a story.

Daivekram

Prajval Shastri : The raptor and the Sun: A stunning improbable composition

Hemanth Hariyani : This seems like a very difficult photo to capture - the composition is beautiful. Wish there were more details on the halo - but a stunning capture nevertheless!

Attached are the images that won the contest. Here is the link to the Instagram post about the same.

Slide1.jpg
Slide2.jpg
Slide3.jpg
Slide5.jpg