Tripod for Canon DSLR

pavan...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2021, 3:56:22 AM1/7/21
to Bangalore Astronomical Society
Hello,
I am trying to repurpose my Celestron telescope's tripod stand to also use as a tripod stand for my Canon EOS Rebel T3i DSLR. Based on my research, it looks like if I buy a good ball head adaptor, I can connect it to my telescope's tripod on 1 end and to my DSLR on the other end and together it can work as a sturdy DSLR tripod stand.
Has anyone tried doing this before?
If yes, any recommendations on which ball head adaptor to buy for my Canon DSLR?

Any guidance here is much appreciated

Thanks
Pavan
IMG_2553.jpg

Ajay Talwar

Jan 7, 2021, 5:39:53 AM1/7/21
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Pavan,

You wrote -

>>> which ball head adaptor to buy for my Canon DSLR?

I have had the best experiences with Manfrotto, they last long, really long. Another good point about Manfrotto products is that you can order small parts for the head, tripod, if something goes bad. Not many other companies offer this service, although you will need to order small parts from abroad. Manfrotto products perform consistently throughout their lives, although the initial cost is higher, they last longer.

If you are looking for a budget product you can go for Benro, which I found reasonably good.

I have used the Manfrotto 496 Compact ball head, which does not have a quick release plate, so you need to rotate the camera to attach or detach. This ball head has a friction control knob, which you can tighten to your choice so that while opening the main knob, the camera does not fall down.

I have also used the Manfrotto MH057M0-RC4057 Magnesium Ball Head with RC4 Quick Release, which has a couple of knobs, friction control. One knob is to release just the pan motion, quite useful.

The quick release plates that you get are of different kinds. After many tripods I have decided to stick with tripod heads which have the same kind of quick release plates, so that I do not have to remove the plate from under the camera but am able to switch tripods. {While attaching the quick release plate, I always ascertain that the camera battery compartment can be opened}.

These tripod heads use a 3/8 BSW bolt, you will need this. The length will be according to your tripod. Buy a steel one. Additionally you will probably need an additional nut and washer to manage the length (from under the tripod) as well as tighten the ball head, to your tripod.

On a lighter note ---- This system will work with ANY camera, not just Canon DSLR ;)

Ajay

Nightscape Gallery: www.ajaytalwar.com/gallery
TWAN Gallery: www.twanight.org/talwar

sathvik

Jan 15, 2021, 1:01:30 AM1/15/21
to b-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Friends,

We are two 10 year old friends (Sathvik & Vibhor) very interested in space.

We have youtube channel on space as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B_6vrE3EbI

  1. Can you please guide us what are good places to study more about space ? Currently we majorly use Youtube & NASA site etc.
  2. Is there any  virtual space camp to study more about space ?

Regards,

Sathvik & Vibhor

Sent from Mail for Windows 10