Pre Midnight News

Pavan Keshavamurthy

Apr 1, 2009, 1:57:57 PM4/1/09
to BAS
For people who are up late tonight, There's some interesting news.
Antares (Alpha Scorpii / JyeshTha) has just exploded into a mag -14 supernova.
(23:00 IST / 17:30 UT)

Antares is expected to be visible naked eye in broad daylight atleast for the
next couple of months or so. Go take a look outside towards the dawn, or just
look up tomorrow morning.

Spread the word and share your observations. BAS will be organizing a star
party on MG Road - Brigade Road junction to catch this rare, once in a
lifetime event.
--
-Pavan K Murthy
http://grahana.net/

Akarsh Simha

Apr 1, 2009, 2:08:56 PM4/1/09
to b-...@googlegroups.com
> For people who are up late tonight, There's some interesting news.
> Antares (Alpha Scorpii / JyeshTha) has just exploded into a mag -14 supernova.
> (23:00 IST / 17:30 UT)

WOW! Thanks for the information Pavan!!! Scorpius is just rising and I
happened to see it. It's unbelievable.

Ever since I read about supernovae in 10th standard, I've always been
wanting to see one! I think I'm really lucky! Thanks for the news.

> Spread the word and share your observations. BAS will be organizing a star
> party on MG Road - Brigade Road junction to catch this rare, once in a
> lifetime event.

I don't know whether it will be worth pointing telescopes to a
supernova. What will we see?

Wishing that I had access to my telescope.

Regards
Akarsh

parag kulkarni

Apr 1, 2009, 2:13:06 PM4/1/09
to b-...@googlegroups.com
thats really a gr8 news yarr..............:D

Alt Blank

Apr 1, 2009, 3:11:23 PM4/1/09
to b-...@googlegroups.com
wow! nice news... 1/3 of jyeshtha is gone... interesting.

when did this happen, really?

<snip>
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Pavan Keshavamurthy <pavan.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

For people who are up late tonight, There's some interesting news.
Antares (Alpha Scorpii / JyeshTha) has just exploded into a mag -14 supernova.
(23:00 IST / 17:30 UT)
</snip>

Alt Blank

Apr 1, 2009, 3:11:56 PM4/1/09
to b-...@googlegroups.com
light, probably?

<snip>
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Akarsh Simha <akars...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't know whether it will be worth pointing telescopes to a
supernova. What will we see?
</snip>

parag kulkarni

Apr 1, 2009, 3:13:14 PM4/1/09
to b-...@googlegroups.com
i just saw it...its as bright as full moon.....awesome.........

Inayath

Apr 3, 2009, 7:29:40 AM4/3/09
to Bangalore Astronomical Society
Hi,

Is this going on these next few days? this weekend? who do we contact
to join the group. I have a small telescope maybe that can be used
(dunno much how to use it!!) if you can let me know. My cell:
9880577002. Mail: inayathu...@gmail.com

Thanks!,
Inayath