Important news: Our new brand and purpose

Akarsh Simha

Apr 1, 2021, 5:35:02 AM4/1/21
to The Bangalore Astrological Society
Hello folks,

Given the increasing concerns around light pollution and also the frustrating weather patterns in southern India, our team of volunteers has realized that it is inordinately challenging to pursue astronomy under these times. Plus, we have noted several important correlations:
1. The phase of the moon can predict the weather -- full moons are clear and new moons are cloudy
2. Any conjunction or occultation or special event of the planets can also predict:
    (a) The weather
    (b) A negative mood (due to aforementioned weather)
    (c) Your frustration over monetary loss without fulfilment

Therefore, we have decided to take up astrology instead. This is something we can do at home looking at computer screens, a much more fruitful expenditure of time. Our astrology, of course, is corrected for precession, so don't worry -- it's accurate.

You can see the changes reflected on our website at http://bas.org.in just so you know that it is real.

Regards
Akarsh
On behalf of the Bangalore Astrological Society

astrosathya

Apr 1, 2021, 5:41:08 AM4/1/21
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. Your timing is impeccably precise. Please let me know where I may upload my horoscope. If you have AI screening of the same, I would prefer that option. Also, please send me your best deal since we have been friends for lonf (*wink* *wink*).
Thanks and Regards
Sathyakumar Sharma,
Founder & Partner,
Universal Immersive Media and Education,
Bangalore.

Abhilash Pavuluri

Apr 1, 2021, 5:45:05 AM4/1/21
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Brilliant initiative. I know a guy who knows a guy if anyone needs a parrot and a deck of cards.

Mukesh Kumar

Apr 1, 2021, 10:12:23 AM4/1/21
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Haha, what a perfect day to launch the initiative! Much relieved to know about the precession correction :)

--

Mukesh Kumar | Mumbai | +91 9769027901

Akarsh Simha

Apr 2, 2021, 2:04:29 AM4/2/21
to The Bangalore Astronomical Society
For those interested in BAS April Fools history, we have just kept up an old tradition this year, that we didn't keep up for the last few. Here are the old stuff, some of which were very elaborate and creative!

2017: Rasik Mhatre posted of a wonderful phenomenon where the moon would turn into 12 different colours! https://groups.google.com/g/b-a-s/c/X9TSwpST1ZA
Also 2017: I posted "Anyone can generate gravity waves at home!", a completely truthful post playing on the difference in terminology between "gravity waves" (ripples in water) and "gravitational waves" (ripples in spacetime)! https://groups.google.com/g/b-a-s/c/YoJd-2KeKiU/m/MNT9Ryg_DgAJ

2016: This is the year I fell for it. Generally, I have tried to keep up this tradition (started by Pavan, one of the key founders of BAS). Koushik posted about Jerry Lodriguss' 7-year exposure that resulted in the discovery of the "Northern Stingray Nebula" -- https://groups.google.com/g/b-a-s/c/wsvX9i8VQz8/m/zX2m3boNAQAJ

2015: This one, "Nova in Scorpius", is perhaps my favorite one, with the added authenticity of an outdated post about an old nova in the region. https://groups.google.com/g/b-a-s/c/qm5ViCojoFc/m/t-lVTqCjutAJ

2014: Couldn't find anything. No joke? (what was Akarsh doing?)

2013: No joke found (Really??)

2012: No joke found (Sad...)

2011: Higgs Boson found at the LHC! -- I linked an actual paper on the Higgs Boson, but which had only some speculation about it, to make the post look authentic! Anyway, the Higgs Boson was later found, but this joke was sent before it was found. https://groups.google.com/g/b-a-s/c/ltMfUnSN0e8/m/qsm9H-NYrBcJ

2010: Dr. Vishnu Reddy (now Prof. Vishnu Reddy of U of Arizona!) posted about a $55,600 grant for BAS to procure a 36" telescope :P -- https://groups.google.com/g/b-a-s/c/BNeCAnMBH18/m/0KjSNitvaggJ -- back then, we actually put coordinated effort into this thing!

2009: Hemant posted the APOD link "Astronaut Head Upgrade" https://groups.google.com/g/b-a-s/c/iOHVfnwGxUA/m/mroco0M-slcJ
2009: Pavan inaugurated the tradition with a post about Antares going supernova, leading to at least one news reporting inquiring him on the subject -- https://groups.google.com/g/b-a-s/c/qBIFge8AbSE/m/F1ThAJGOtOYJ

Regards
Akarsh

Santhosh S

Apr 3, 2021, 5:57:57 AM4/3/21
to Bangalore Astronomical Society
There should be a cloud filter somewhere there...

Akarsh Simha

Apr 3, 2021, 6:00:42 AM4/3/21
to b-...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 15:28 Santhosh S <santho...@gmail.com> wrote:
There should be a cloud filter somewhere there...

Yes there was, good point.

Srikanth Yadake

Apr 5, 2021, 8:51:53 AM4/5/21
to Bangalore Astronomical Society
:D I feel for this in the first few words, good to know the april fool's day history.