Telescope on rent / trial

Sharmila Chakravorty

Nov 10, 2022, 1:18:03 AM11/10/22
to Bangalore Astronomical Society
Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a telescope but I guess my budget is low and so I'm probably only going to get trash telescopes. Is it possible to rent telescopes in the Koramangala area?

Also, if someone is looking to get rid of old, not-in-use telescopes, I'd be happy to buy one off you. I'm not sure I trust OLX, Quickr-type reselling websites.

Thanks a ton!
Sharmila

Karthik Subramanian

Nov 10, 2022, 11:51:07 PM11/10/22
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sharmila,

Good call on not buying a cheap telescope.
As far as budget goes, I think you can get an 8" Dob for approximately 40K, firsthand.

Another option is to attend a star party, where you can get to look through a few scopes. The season is almost upon us, which is a good thing.

Do note that BAS seems to be more active on the WhatsApp group than the mailing list. (I'm not on WhatsApp, so my information is possibly inaccurate).

Someone from the group should be able to help you with an invite if you're interested in joining the WhatsApp group.

Best,
Karthik.

keerthi kiran

Nov 10, 2022, 11:54:33 PM11/10/22
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
BAS is more active on Telegram group. Please visit bas.org.in for more details and link to the Telegram/Discord groups.
You will have to fill this form to get the link to the groups (same link is available on our website bas.org.in as well)

Thanks and Regards,
Keerthi

Girish

Nov 11, 2022, 1:15:33 AM11/11/22
to Bangalore Astronomical Society
Hi Sharmila
I had a similar problem few years back. Budget was low.  So I decided to build one my own. Only costly part of a telescope is mirror , diagonal mirror and eyepiece. You can get them online. Rest is something you can build of your own.

Another option is go for a six inch dob  or a good pair of binoculars. In fact I recommend binocular if you starting with astro gears.

Regards
Girish

Vinod Therattil

Nov 19, 2022, 12:40:46 PM11/19/22
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Can someone add me to the BAS WhatsApp group please?

Akarsh Simha

Nov 19, 2022, 12:41:58 PM11/19/22
to b-...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Nov 19, 2022 at 11:10 PM Vinod Therattil <vinod.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can someone add me to the BAS WhatsApp group please?

It is the Telegram group that is most active. Please fill this form to get the link: https://forms.gle/JaR5zvzxZGHtwz6PA

Vagish Kalligudd

Jan 16, 2023, 2:19:17 AM1/16/23
to Bangalore Astronomical Society
Sharmila,
              I want to sell my telescope (tasco model # 49060700); details attached. It is a brand new telescope which I have not opened at all. I am 4-5 km from Koramangala.

Thanks,
Vagish
telescope.pdf