Any noteworthy celestial objects to look out for this weekend?

Mukta Singh

Feb 18, 2021, 2:11:09 AM2/18/21
to Bangalore Astronomical Society
Hello everyone,

I am planning to go on a start gazing trip around bangalore over the coming weekend or next.

Wanted to know if this is the best time to spot interesting objects.

Thankyou

astrosathya

Feb 18, 2021, 2:13:54 AM2/18/21
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Lunar craters will be amazing. Also will be M42, 43, Leo Triplet Galaxies, M1 Crab nebula, Omega Centauri, Eta carina, Jewl Box, M6/7, M16, M8 etc in the early hours.
Thanks and Regards
Sathyakumar Sharma,
Founder & Partner,
Universal Immersive Media and Education,
Bangalore.

keerthi kiran

Feb 18, 2021, 2:26:05 AM2/18/21
to BAS
Hello Mukta,
We just came back from BAS star party.
Yes, there are many things to see around this time of the year.
Coming weekend, you will have bright moon in the sky till about 2am which will hinder the views. But you can still do a lot.
1. Install an app like sky safari or stellarim. If you hold the mobile towards the sky, the app will tell you what you are looking at. So, quite handy.

Evening sky:

Identify the constellations. Orion, Taurus, Canis Major are easy to spot. Try to find the pole star. Auriga, Gemini, Leo, Puppis etc will also be very easily visible in the evening. Because of the moon, you will miss the winter milky way.

Learn about the Messier objects. Some Messier objects are visible to the naked eye, but many are visible through binoculars. If you have a good pair of binoculars like 10x50, look for M42, 44, 35,36,37,38,41. Also look for the double cluster.

By midnight, you will see the southern milky way. You can observe the great eta Carina nebula, Omega Centauri globular cluster once the moon sets.

May be take some rest, sleep for 2-3 hours between 1am and 4am and then at 4am, you will start seeing the summer milkyway in the east.
If you have a telescope, you should observe the galaxies in Leo, Ursa Major and Virgo.
By 5am, the milkyway will be very clearly visible. You should look for M6,7,8,17,20. These can be easily seen with binoculars or a telescope.

Also, try to see the moon and mars through binocs or telescope.
Observe the colors of the stars, look for some double stars.

All the best.

Thanks and regards,
Keerthi

Mukta Singh

Feb 18, 2021, 5:18:18 AM2/18/21
to Bangalore Astronomical Society
Thankyou.  Great tip.
Yes, I will be taking my telescope along.

BAS star party sounds interesting. Missed it, since I just joined the group. Would like to join future get-togethers :)

keerthi kiran

Feb 18, 2021, 5:22:22 AM2/18/21
to BAS
We are more active on the telegram group. But we do post about our events here.
If you want to join the telegram group, you can fill the form on bas.org.in and join.

Wish you clear skies.

Thanks and regards,
Keerthi