BAS Offline Presents - Beginner's Session - Introduction to Astronomy

Sudhash Natarajan

Nov 25, 2021, 3:27:47 AM11/25/21
to Bangalore Astronomical Society

Dear All,

Greetings. Long awaited, physical meetings in BAS are starting soon. Soon = 28.11.2021, Sunday. Yes, coming Sunday.

Winter is coming. Orion, the Hunter is rising early & waiting for us!

The astronomy season in South India, is predominantly in the winter season. The extraordinary weather phenomenon has made us await many a months. We might still get a wet/cloudy December New Moon. New Moon weekends in winter are the best times to do stargazing / astrophotography.

As a precursor to the season, we would like host a session for "Beginners to Astronomy". Questions such as "How do I start this hobby", "What's first, second & next steps", "How do I sustain interest", "What equipment should I buy, invest in", "How long should I do stargazing using Binoculars", "Which binoculars to buy", "How do my son/daughter participate in this", "How do I get the younger generation interested in this", "What objects to see from which locations", etc.

The focus on this session is going to be predominantly "Visual Observation" in Astronomy. We will have one more specific to Astrophotography later in the season.

Since we are still seeing Covid cases, we all must take necessary precautions. And as hosts, we shall too.

Location: AGS Layout, Banashankari, Bengaluru.
Date        : 28th Nov 2021
TIme        : 4pm IST

Exact location is mentioned in the Registration Form.

All are welcome. I do understand not all of you can make it. So we will try to broadcast the session & take in Questions too, provided we could make the technical infrastructure ready by then.

We do have capacity limitations. Please register your interest here.

For those who are planning to attend it online, no need to register. Here are the details of the Zoom Meeting Session. We will be livestreaming on YouTube as well.

Meeting ID: 820 5694 8569
Passcode: 281121