Fwd: Planetary Society Grant for BAS

Vishnu Reddy

Mar 31, 2010, 3:30:31 PM3/31/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Dear BAS members

In my experience with Amateur Astronomy and Amateur Astronomers (Amar, especially) -- I've found it a constant feature on how the lack of quality equipment is plaguing us. I think this is a tremendous moment for BAS in that it has finally risen up on the global scene as an Amateur Astronomy club par-excellence. This development is a tribute not only to it's founders and mentors like Naveen and Hemant but everybody in India. I heartily congratulate BAS on it's work.

I also invite BAS well-wishers to contribute generously for setting up the observatory-infrastructure at the proposed Hosahalli location. Personally, I'm planning to do my bit by contributing $500. Please contact Vivek or Pavan for more details on how you can pitch in.

clear skies
Vishnu Reddy

Mar 31, 2010, 3:40:46 PM3/31/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
guys, this is tremendous news! congratulations to vishnu reddy and the entire BAS team for everyone's hard work and contributions.

do use this grant responsibly... i know you will.

cheers,
sridhar.

News - http://www.bas.org.in/
Events - http://www.bas.org.in/Home/events_calendar
24X7 Chat on IRC - http://www.bas.org.in/Home/irc (#b-a-s on freenode)

Pavan Keshavamurthy

Mar 31, 2010, 3:51:52 PM3/31/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
All

Totally agree with Sridhar. This is amazing news indeed!
After Akarsh's 17.5", I didn't reckon I'd be seeing a bigger scope
_this_ soon. I'm sure this is a lifetime's dream come true for many of
us at BAS, especially Amar.

Please count a Rs 2,000 contribution from me for the Observatory-setup
in Hosahalli.

I also propose we hold a commemorative meeting over this weekend. Please
+1 for your attendance.

Best
_Pavan

cheers,
sridhar.

--
Pavan K Murthy
http://grahana.net/

signature.asc

sathya kumar prasanna

Mar 31, 2010, 4:01:18 PM3/31/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
WAY TO GO BAS!!!!! AMAZIIIIIIIIING GUYS... WOOOOOOOOO......... :D

Sathya

Karthik Vijayakumar

Mar 31, 2010, 5:02:02 PM3/31/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Seriously unbelievable, great work guys.
Karthik Vijayakumar,
3rd year,Msc (intgd) Mathematics and Scientific Computing,
IIT Kanpur

atul bv

Mar 31, 2010, 5:34:05 PM3/31/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
This is a tremendous bit of news.Kudos to the active BAS members for having been recognised for your efforts, am very happy for you guys...Needless to say, i am sure it will be fruitfully used...This is a big acknowledgement to you activities...May the force be with you

Atul

balaji muthusubramanian

Mar 31, 2010, 9:38:29 PM3/31/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
My hearty congrats to BAS...
Great work...
Keep up the same pace...

Balaji
Balaji

keerthi kiran

Mar 31, 2010, 9:53:26 PM3/31/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Today is a very bad day (Apr 1st) to send such a mail...
I still can't believe it...
If its true, then CONGRATS!!!

Regards,
Keerthi.

Deepak Mallya

Mar 31, 2010, 9:57:54 PM3/31/10
to Bangalore Astronomical Society
Fantastic news. My heartiest congratulations to the BAS stalwarts
and thanks to vishnu reddy. I am sure it's dream come true for every
one of us at BAS.

-Deepak

On Apr 1, 12:30 am, Vishnu Reddy <moony...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear BAS members
>
> In my experience with Amateur Astronomy and Amateur Astronomers (Amar,
> especially) -- I've found it a constant feature on how the lack of quality
> equipment is plaguing us. I think this is a tremendous moment for BAS in
> that it has finally risen up on the global scene as an Amateur Astronomy
> club par-excellence. This development is a tribute not only to it's founders
> and mentors like Naveen and Hemant but everybody in India. I heartily
> congratulate BAS on it's work.

<snipped/>

Rasik Mhatre

Mar 31, 2010, 10:04:41 PM3/31/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com

Amar,

Any thoughts of re-locating back??

Rasik Mhatre

F1407 Mantri Tranquil
Sy. No. 7/9/13 Gubbalala
Off Kanakpura Road

Bangalore 560 061

TEL: +91-80-42087005/22573247

CELL: +91-9916135779
TRANQUIL CENTREX: *826470

"Those who do not create the future they want,

Must endure the future they get!"

Ashwin Nayak

Mar 31, 2010, 10:20:27 PM3/31/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Hey!
AMAZIN NEWS!!!!!!!
WAY TO GO!!!!
Im settin up a tent right outside the observatory! :P
Amateyr Astronomy Club par excellence for sure!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy,
--Ashwin--

Kiran Tikare

Apr 1, 2010, 1:40:10 AM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

This is great news to BAS and ameature Astronomers of India.

Congratulations to all.

Thanks
Kiran Tikare
http://xplorations.blogspot.com
http://protocolsofmatrix.blogspot.com
kiran tikare

Udayan Pandharipande

Apr 1, 2010, 1:56:54 AM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
This is great news!!!!!!
Amar will be the happiest person on Earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would love to contribute for this!! I will speak to my parents and let you know Mr. Vishnu Reddy Sir.

Regards,
udayan.

keerthi kiran

Apr 1, 2010, 1:57:11 AM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Orion 36 Monster Dobsonian Telescope
  • The Monstrous 36" aperture parabolic primary mirror (914mm) collects over 1000 square inches of light - four times the light of "ordinary" 18-inch telescopes!
  • Premium quality f/4 optical system gives a whopping 144" (3658mm) focal length to deliver exceptionally sharp, bright images with generous image scale
  • Enhanced (96%) coatings on the primary and secondary maximize light throughput
  • Low-expansion borosilicate glass molded in a honeycomb mirror blank design make it exceptionally strong, yet light, and assures good optical performance, even as the temperature drops
  • Transportable! Constructed from aluminum and aluminum/Russian Birch composite structures. The entire system weighs less than 400 pounds with the heaviest component being the primary mirror (~ 150 lbs)
  • Complete tracking and GoTo capability makes this Monster easy to tame. Finding objects is a breeze
  • 27-point flotation mirror cell and eight-point wiffle-tree edge support system prevents mirror deformation and keeps images crisp
  • Removable wheels allow you to roll this beast in and out of a storage shed or garage with ease. Be observing in minutes!
  • Removable, secondary cage light shroud blocks stray light (optional complete light shroud is fiberglass reinforced for prevent the light path from being blocked)

Abhay

Apr 1, 2010, 2:12:01 AM4/1/10
to Bangalore Astronomical Society
Hearty Congratulations to all those who have been working behind the
scenes to make this
possible.

I am sure all BAS members who are gainfully employed would be willing
to pool in additional
resources to make this dream a reality.

If donations to BAS can be made to be exempted from Income Tax under
Section 80g
it might be possible to raise larger amounts, committee members should
look into whether
BAS can be eligible to get this tax exempt status ?

All the best

Abhay

On Apr 1, 1:57 pm, keerthi kiran <infosi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Orion 36 Monster Dobsonian Telescope
>

>    - The Monstrous 36" aperture parabolic primary mirror (914mm) collects

>    over 1000 square inches of light - four times the light of "ordinary"
>    18-inch telescopes!

>    - Premium quality f/4 optical system gives a whopping 144" (3658mm) focal

>    length to deliver exceptionally sharp, bright images with generous image
>    scale

>    - Enhanced (96%) coatings on the primary and secondary maximize light
>    throughput
>    - Low-expansion borosilicate glass molded in a honeycomb mirror blank

>    design make it exceptionally strong, yet light, and assures good optical
>    performance, even as the temperature drops

>    - Transportable! Constructed from aluminum and aluminum/Russian Birch

>    composite structures. The entire system weighs less than 400 pounds with the
>    heaviest component being the primary mirror (~ 150 lbs)

>    - Complete tracking and GoTo capability makes this Monster easy to tame.

>    Finding objects is a breeze

>    - 27-point flotation mirror cell and eight-point wiffle-tree edge support

>    system prevents mirror deformation and keeps images crisp

>    - Removable wheels allow you to roll this beast in and out of a storage

>    shed or garage with ease. Be observing in minutes!

>    - Removable, secondary cage light shroud blocks stray light (optional

>    complete light shroud is fiberglass reinforced for prevent the light path
>    from being blocked)
>
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Kiran Tikare

> <kiranthechallen...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > Hi All,
>
> > This is great news to BAS and ameature Astronomers of India.
>
> > Congratulations to all.
>
> > Thanks
> > Kiran Tikare
> >http://xplorations.blogspot.com
> >http://protocolsofmatrix.blogspot.com
>

> > On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Ashwin Nayak <ashwinsna...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Hey!
> >> AMAZIN NEWS!!!!!!!
> >> WAY TO GO!!!!
> >> Im settin up a tent right outside the observatory! :P
> >> Amateyr Astronomy Club par excellence for sure!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> >> Enjoy,
> >> --Ashwin--

Rasik Mhatre

Apr 1, 2010, 2:13:34 AM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com, moon...@gmail.com
Dear Mr. Reddy,

Let me introduce myself as one of the newest members of this group.

While you have got the telescope there is the cost of shipping and duties. These will set you back a lot of money.

Since it is a gift in recognition of the services provided to the community one could apply to the Govt to have the duties waived.

Also if you could provide me the shipping weight and package dimensions I could show you a cheaper way to ship from USA @ a cost of maybe Rs.65/70K

I have had some experience in both these areas and would be glad to help.

Regards

Rasik Mhatre
F1407 Mantri Tranquil
Sy. No. 7/9/13 Gubbalala
Off Kanakpura Road
BANGALORE 560061
INDIA
HOME:+91-80-42087005 / 22573247

CELL:+91-9916135779
TRANQUIL CENTREX: *826470
Those who do not create the future they want, Must endure the future they get!

Amar Sharma

Apr 1, 2010, 4:32:44 AM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
OH MY GOD!!! OHHH MYYY GODDD!!

Sorry, I too wished like Keerthi this news had made it on any day of the year except today.

Anyway BAS deserved it. Vishnu was always there with us, and wished us to see push ourselves further, since the spirit of BAS (even though run by a small group of youngsters) is unlike most other groups in India.

@ Rasik - No I wouldnt shift back to Bengaluru. The telescope can infact be housed nearby the pristine skies of Western Ghats, near Orange County itself (I will write a report of the very good lighting system here of the nearby town. Still yet to see the skies, ever since I came it is fogged & clouded up)

Think about it. Would you want to set it up amdist the ever developing pollutants of a mega city, or under 6.5 mag skies polluted with pollens and greenery! :D The very limited winter clear nights here will compensate in quality of observing even from there.

Will come to know only if and when the grant funds get released. Wishing luck to all.

**************

Amar A. Sharma

Amar Sharma

Apr 1, 2010, 5:07:46 AM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Ok I reconsider all my statements and excitement until April 1 gets over. Feeling funny to have written all that below. :-P

**************

Amar A. Sharma

sathya kumar prasanna

Apr 1, 2010, 6:31:41 AM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
Keerthi; Wonderful discription of the telescope. saves time looking up at websites.

BAS, Performance par excellence. The telescope obtained by St.Joseph's college had all duties waived. BAS should apply for a waiver to the govt of India. The money otherwise spent on duty may be used for perhaps a Nagler :P

Cheers,
Sathya

Naveen Chandra

Apr 1, 2010, 9:08:03 AM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Good one. This is much more beleivable than last years Antares explosion story :)
For all those who fell for this, search for "Dr Bruche Wojciechowski".

-ncr
--
Naveen Chandra
9886493511

ravi babu

Apr 1, 2010, 9:21:38 AM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Yapppa!!!!

thats one super super news....

seriously sakkath!!!

WAY TO GO!

CONGRATS

Inayathulla Khan

Apr 1, 2010, 9:29:12 AM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
for the gud one...

and this is for those who pitched in with contributions & searched for Dr. Bruce W...

lol,
Inayath, Bangalore

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 1:00 AM, Vishnu Reddy <moon...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
B0E.png
360.gif

Akarsh Simha

Apr 1, 2010, 9:37:10 AM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Okay, Happy April Fool's people!! Thanks for giving us the pleasure of
pulling off a wonderful prank!

Yeah, I think this had a far larger I-fell-for-the-thing set than last
time's Antares supernova!

I simply wonder how Pavan came up with that name.

Regards
Akarsh

ravi babu

Apr 1, 2010, 9:43:44 AM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
THU NIMMA!!!!

NAACHKE AAGALLA????

Akarsh Simha

Apr 1, 2010, 9:46:38 AM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Kindly take it in the same spirit as you take Google's stuff ;-)

Regards
Akarsh

keerthi kiran

Apr 1, 2010, 10:27:59 AM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
I heard you are also a victim of the prank :P

Pavan Keshavamurthy

Apr 1, 2010, 11:01:49 AM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com

> I simply wonder how Pavan came up with that name.

I didn't. It was Dr. Vishnu Reddy's idea :-)
Seems like a polish name.

Akarsh Simha is the other culprit -- another inside in the plot and the
guy who came up with the bright idea of making a 36" the bait.

The plot and the funnily worded email is courtesy of he who we shall not
talk about.

I also need to thank Vishnu's cooperation in pulling off this prank. I'm
sure any of us sending the same email wouldn't have been able to provide
the make-believe factor as effortlessly as he did.

I apologize if this prank has (irreparably) hurt the sentiments of any
of those who unsuspectingly or half-suspectingly took this to be true :P

We too, share the same affinity as many of you do for large aperture
telescopes, and for whatever wishful-thinking this prompts, the prank
pulled of convincingly even amongst people who we thought would see
through it. Certainly worth the mischief for an Apr 1st. I hope this
will be received in good spirit!

I also would like to point out that the proposition of BAS being able to
procure equipment for the sake of some serious amateur astronomy in the
future is not _totally_ imaginary. We are making some plans internally
on how the we could organize our various SIGs to graduate our Astronomy
to more seriousness than what it is currently.

Best

signature.asc

Vishnu Reddy

Apr 1, 2010, 11:21:42 AM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
My apologies to the offended parties. On a more serious note, the possibility of getting a large aperture scope for doing science by the BAS is real and its yours for taking if you put in the effort. I don't want to sound like a broken record but I think the formation of the SIGs is a step in that direction. Keep up the good work guys.

Vishnu Reddy
(aka Dr Jackass)

Alt Blank

Apr 1, 2010, 1:01:32 PM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
...and so much for my totally believing you fraudsters.

having said that, this was a good one!

and responsible as hell too.

<snip>
On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Alt Blank <alt....@gmail.com> wrote:
do use this grant responsibly... i know you will.
</snip>

sathya kumar prasanna

Apr 1, 2010, 1:22:01 PM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
I for one will sue BAS in the IMF for all I care....!!!!!! @##$%^^&%$#$%^&&  and those are abuses. I should have known. The year b4 it was someone who said Hemanth's 12" scope or Meade scope was being presented to BAS etc etc....
Grrrrrrrrrrr................

Sathya

Ashwin Nayak

Apr 1, 2010, 1:30:40 PM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
WHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well I guess i was the most hit!!! Believed it fully after hearing from Dr.Vishnu Reddy and also told some of my friends.:D :D
ahhahahah...
Really pulled up a good one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy,
--Ashwin--

Prakhar Misra

Apr 1, 2010, 1:33:47 PM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
i knew there was something fishy. it all seemed tooo perfect. lol. but still i guess we can take this seriously from here.

:)
with lv and much respect,
Prakhar  :)

Ashwin Nayak

Apr 1, 2010, 1:33:58 PM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
No wonder that i didnt find tweets abt it by Akarsh or Pavan or any1 from BAS!!!!
Thoooo..Easily fooled~!! :|

--Ashwin--

Rakesh Nath

Apr 1, 2010, 1:50:50 PM4/1/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
I actually tweeted @b_a_s LOL
--
Thanks and Regards
Rakesh Nath

Deepak Mallya

Apr 2, 2010, 12:59:11 AM4/2/10
to Bangalore Astronomical Society
I would like to kindly tell the council members where to place the
imaginary 36" telescope - if you get the thrust of it, I mean :P

Amar Sharma

Apr 2, 2010, 9:28:51 AM4/2/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah should have held on to myself and given a thought, even if the mail was from Vishnu Reddy. Realized later.

Just hope the power of words makes an alias of "Dr Bruce Wojciechowski" really indeed sponsor BAS atleast a tenth the price, $5000 for a research grade 14" GOTO. Well, would be happy if he turns out to be really philanthropic and sponsors a Grant for a mighty 20" RCX.

Anything could happen...and it should.

**************

Amar A. Sharma

Akarsh Simha

Apr 2, 2010, 9:39:51 AM4/2/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
No

The question is not of equipment. The question is "Who will use it?".
Several months back, we considered the idea of trying to obtain a 8"
that would be completely motorized. Sadly, there has been no pursuit
on that issue. The point is that "no one has time" to pursue astronomy
in a serious way. I think we shouldn't be hoping for such equipment,
if they are going to lie and gather dust. I promise I'll make every
effort to ensure that my 17.5" doesn't.

Regards
Akarsh

Amar Sharma

Apr 2, 2010, 9:47:06 AM4/2/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
What are you and me and other active members in BAS for?? I am sure in some hands, any equipment will never go waste. I can assure you it will be put to great use by many thrusted and thirsty souls.

Let the equipment come first...you would see then.

**************

Amar A. Sharma

ravi babu

Apr 2, 2010, 9:55:20 AM4/2/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
yeah..
let the equipment come first..
amele maathadona!!

Vishnu Reddy

Apr 2, 2010, 10:32:51 AM4/2/10
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Folks

I have to politely disagree with this statement. I don't think one needs any fancy equipment to do serious astronomy. I learned to do astrometry way before I even saw a GOTO telescope or a CCD. The key is to show some interest in the process rather than wait for things to happen. A classic example is Naveen who learned to do astrometry of asteroids and comets using some archived images. His measurements were good enough to be sent to the IAU for publication. Not to single out anyone but I find this statement just another excuse for not doing anything. And I don't buy the whole time argument either. You can accomplish a lot by putting a couple of hours on the weekend. The key is to enjoy the process and stay focused on the task.

Vishnu Reddy

Gayathri

Apr 2, 2010, 12:09:09 AM4/2/10
to Bangalore Astronomical Society