Fwd: Shimano crankset recall

Mike Sturgill

Sep 22, 2023, 10:46:16 AM9/22/23
to Bullshifter Members, Tue/Thu Rides, AZRandon
Hello Bulls and randos.

Sorry for the cross-posting, but I want this to reach as many group members as possible.

Below is a message I received regarding a recall of Specific Shimano crank sets. Please read thru the recall to see if you might have an affected crank. I found that I do have one of the Ultegra FC-6800 crank sets in the recall. The only "Shimano Inspection Location" in the Phoenix area is Bikemasters in Queen Creek. There is also an official inspection location in Oro Valley, near Tucson. I'll let you know what I find with my cranks.

-Mike

Sep 22, 2023, 2:17:10 PM9/22/23
to Lee Wilkening, Mike Sturgill, AZRandon, Bullshifter Members, Tue/Thu Rides
Hey Lee,

You might want to see if they have the 105 Di2 derailleur. It's a little heaver by a few grams, but the performance is the same.

Jonathan

On Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 11:09 AM Lee Wilkening <hydroc...@gmail.com> wrote:
I also have one of the recalled cranks. As I understand it, they won’t replace your cranks unless you are experiencing a specific delamination problem, thus the required official inspection.  I, unfortunately, have a different problem. My Di2 rear derailleur is shot and Ultegra derailleurs are back ordered until at least November. Looking for alternatives.

Happy Trails,

Lee

Mike Sturgill

Sep 22, 2023, 4:14:35 PM9/22/23
to Jonathan Howard, Lee Wilkening, AZRandon, Bullshifter Members, Tue/Thu Rides
The 105 DI2 is 12-speed only.

Mike Sturgill

Sep 22, 2023, 4:24:55 PM9/22/23
to Mike Garrett, Bullshifter Members, Tue/Thu Rides, AZRandon
Bummer to hear that! It turns out that I have 2 crank sets on the recall list. I have an FC-6800 and an FC-R8000. UGH!

On 9/22/2023 12:29 PM, Mike Garrett wrote:
Now you tell me!  Definitely had the delamination issue on the crankset a few years ago. There was no replacement at that tine. Threw it away and bought a SRAM Red crankset instead.

Mike Garrett

Sep 22, 2023, 4:32:04 PM9/22/23
to Jonathan Howard, Lee Wilkening, azra...@googlegroups.com, Bullshifter Members, Tue/Thu Rides, Mike Cox