Touring / bikepacking route ideas for March

Mark Ueeck

Jan 19, 2024, 11:09:48 PMJan 19
to AZRandon
I am going to be in southern AZ again in March and would like to get in two to three weeks of touring/bike packing.  I'll be on my gravel/rando bike.  While it is a gravel bike, I prefer the pavement to smoother gravel roads spectrum better than washboard/sandy/deep pea gravel to single track end of the spectrum.

Will likely do 2 to 4 shorter outings of 3 - 7 nights each.  I'm comfortable with 30 miles with up to 4,000' of climbing,  to 60 miles with 2,500' or less climbing.  If you know of any good routes or roads that fit (or conversely, roads or areas to avoid), I would love to hear about them.  If you're interested in riding any of them with me and my daily miles/climbing fit your riding appetite, that would be even better!

-Mark Ueeck
RUSA 9737

john....@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2024, 6:59:37 PMFeb 13
to AZRandon
Hi Mark,

Not sure how much traffic this group gets, but I thought I'd try to help you out a bit.  I'm next door in New Mexico but have ridden some of the rides in the "Patagonia Gravel Adventure Guide".  https://graveladventurefieldguide.com/patagonia

Might be a good place to start.

john
RUSA 3701

Mark Ueeck

Feb 20, 2024, 1:08:42 AMFeb 20
to AZRandon
Thanks John, that is a great site!  I've patched together a 340mile multi-day loop out of Patagonia based on routes I found on dirtyfreehub.org, but I'll go through the site you provided to see if I can improve my route.

Here's the route in case anyone is interested in joining me or has any recommendations for route changes:

I will be starting this ride on Tuesday, March 5 and will be shooting for a casual 35 mile / day average.

-Mark

Mike Sturgill

Feb 20, 2024, 10:17:21 AMFeb 20
to azra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

It looks like you're planning to ride thru Fort Huachuca. If so, you need to make sure you're registered prior to your entry. Here is a link to the visitor information. https://home.army.mil/huachuca/about/Garrison/DES/physical-security/visitor-access

In the past, it took at least 24 hours to process the background check prior to issuance of the CAC. If you have questions, I suggest that you call them. The written regulations are sometimes a bit unclear. I've also found that visitors must be US citizens to access the base.

Good luck on your adventure!
-Mike
RBA:Phoenix

Mark Ueeck

Feb 20, 2024, 12:05:21 PMFeb 20
to AZRandon
Thanks John!  I thought I was getting around Fort Huachuca by taking Brainard Road, but now I see that is well within the Fort boundaries.  I'll call them to see if I can apply in advance as I don't want to lose a day of riding waiting for them to process an in-person application.  Very helpful info!

-Mark Ueeck
RUSA 9737

Mike Sturgill

Feb 20, 2024, 12:11:52 PMFeb 20
to 'Mark Ueeck' via AZRandon
You definitely have to do it in advance. But, it does need to be in person.

-Mike (not John)

Mark Ueeck

Feb 20, 2024, 12:19:31 PMFeb 20
to 'Mark Ueeck' via AZRandon
I just spoke with the visitor center and was told that they only do in person now.  I asked about processing time and they said that with what they are doing for individuals such as myself who are just cycling across the base, it takes five, sometimes up to ten minutes to process.  I may call back another day at a different time of day to see if I get the same information from a different person, given the amount of backtracking involved if the process takes a day, or applying in advance is an option.

-Mark Ueeck
RUSA 9737

Mike Sturgill

Feb 20, 2024, 12:52:50 PMFeb 20
to 'Mark Ueeck' via AZRandon
I have a few more thoughts about the route that I'd like to share.

1) Riding thru the base will require you to enter and exit at locations which have gates. If you try to ride, or enter/exit, off the main road, you will likely not be able to do so. There are 2 gates you can enter on the east (Buffalo Soldier and Hatfield). Hatfield is where you will need to go for the access process. There is only 1 gate on the west side and it is exit only. It's normally unmanned and civilians cannot enter there.
2) Be prepared to remain on the main route thru the base. There are a lot of signs posting access limitations. I'm not sure about your specific route, but be prepared that you won't be able to follow it. The main route is fantastic to ride, so you won't be missing anything by riding it.
3) I did some off road riding last fall in the general area you'll be traveling. I ran into multiple No Trespassing signs on my routes. One of them was when I was trying to ride around Fort Huachuca from Sierra Vista to Sonoita. On the RWGPS map, they mapped without issue. But, on the ground, it was private property. You should use extreme caution if you encounter any of these private property signs. That's not an area where you want to be trespassing! I turned around and took pavement at that point.

-Mike

Dave Jordan

Feb 20, 2024, 1:20:38 PMFeb 20
to azra...@googlegroups.com
A little clarification on Mike's comments about the fort.

He's correct that there's only one gate on the west side and that it is unmanned.  But, unless something has changed in the past couple of years, entry at the west gate has been possible by communicating with remote staff.  I don't remember the exact protocol - I think you have to show your fort-issued ID, etc., to a camera and then they'll open the gate.  This used to be the way it worked, but I must admit that it's been a couple of years since I did it.  Another topic that it would be worth asking if you call them again.

I think he's also correct that you'll need to stay on paved roads.  I don't think you're completely limited to the "main" road, as folks seem to get lost on a regular basis trying to navigate the roads inside the fort.

That all being said, I've always enjoyed riding through the fort - it's very pleasant when you're a bit away from the Sierra Vista side and the road between the fort and Sonoita is very scenic and quiet.  (If you're on that road, watch out for the water crossing - it can be exceptionally slick.)  Pavement on that road has been questionable over the years, though they had repaved some of it the last time I was there.

Dave

Mark Ueeck

Feb 21, 2024, 12:37:37 AMFeb 21
to AZRandon
Great info Mike & Dave, much appreciated.   I will be going across the base westbound (Sierra Vista towards Patagonia).  I plan to stay on the main roads across the base, though I might make a small side trip to visit the museum on base, but I plan to cross the base in one day and camp out near Canelo Pass, carrying enough water for overnight and the next day as well.

-Mark

mark ueeck

Mar 8, 2024, 3:37:36 PMMar 8
to azra...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick update: I crossed the fort yesterday. It took five minutes to security to get cleared. The MP checking vehicles through stopped traffic when I pulled up, showed me where I could park my bike, and said he would taze anyone who tried to touch it.  He then stopped checking traffic through until I got past the shoulderless road and onto the wider part of the road with a shoulder.  I stopped at the library and spent an hour going through the military intelligence museum there. Worth every minute.  All in all, a great experience, except for the 20 mph wind out of the south and west all day.