Remaining 2023 events and 2024 calendar

Mike Sturgill

Sep 14, 2023, 1:09:57 PM9/14/23
to AZRandon
Hello Randos!

I'm just back from a wonderful European vacation coupled with my 6th PBP completion. It's that time of year, again, when I must schedule our events for 2024. Also, with the new rules enacted, I can schedule ACP events in Nov & Dec of 2023. Here is your chance to make your voice heard and let me know if you have a preference for specific events or specific dates. I'll start by proposing some dates and events.

As always, if you have a specific event and date AND you can support it, then it's pretty much guaranteed to make the calendar. If you leave ALL the work for me to do, then all suggestions must meet my schedule, availability and stamina. Please consider helping support these events! Without volunteers, none of this happens.

I'm throwing the Humboldt Hill Climb into the mix. It has a section of hard packed dirt getting to/from the climb. I'd like to have more gravel events in the future. I'd like to hear from you. Do YOU want more mixed terrain events? Do you have specific routes you'd like to see added to the calendar? If so, send me the info and I'll take a look. All RUSA events need to get approval so you will need to help me during that process if there's a ride you want to see added.

Here are my proposals.

Oct 2023:
10/7/2023: Humboldt Hill Climb. 75 miles, 10 are hard packed dirt. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38321907
10/21/2023: North Valley Pop and 200k. 76, 129 miles. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38082742, https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38082625

Nov 2023:
11/18/2023: Kitt Peak 200k. ADOT says the road will open in Oct. So, I'm putting this on the calendar. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44433407

Dec 2023:
12/16/2023: Foothills Tour. 63 miles. Preliminary route and awaiting RUSA approval.. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44433842

2024 Proposed Calendar (All ACP events):
1/6/2024: Sears Kay Ruin 100k and Bartlett Lake 200k. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30019910, https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30019530
1/20/2024: Saguaro Lake 100k and 200k. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/5633862, https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26991421
2/3/2024: Madera Canyon 200k & 300k. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31713318, https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31825910
3/2/2024: Desert 300k & 400k. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34261785, https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34261799
4/6/2024: Kitt Peak 300k, 400k, 600k. These routes are preliminary. The start will be moved to ElCon Plaza near the University.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31435206, https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38866250, https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31434149

I generally travel a lot in the summer, so if there are events you'd like added in the summer, you will need to be able to provide support for them. I'll be happy to add them to the calendar so long as you agree to support it.

Let me know your thoughts and feedback. I need to submit to RUSA before the end of September.

Thanks,
-Mike

Jonathan Howard

Sep 14, 2023, 3:11:14 PM9/14/23
to azra...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mike,

I'm really excited about the Humboldt Hill Climb and I'm going to see if Kitt Peak works. I'm going to try to get Tim in the Bulls to join up.

Thanks,
Jonathan

PS: Try not to get sick before the Sears Kay Ruin this time. ;)

Jim’s Mail

Sep 16, 2023, 1:30:57 PM9/16/23
to azra...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mike,

Congratulations again on your successful PBP this summer.  Well done!

Just one comment on the schedule:  18 November is also El Tour de Tucson.  Hotels may be at a premium for anyone who might need accommodations.

Cheers,
Jim and Debbie

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 14, 2023, at 10:09 AM, Mike Sturgill <mikest...@cox.net> wrote:

 Hello Randos!

Mike Sturgill

Sep 17, 2023, 5:54:37 PM9/17/23
to AZRandon, Bullshifter Members
Hello Randos!

The AZ Randonneur's calendar of events is now posted on the web (www.azbrevet.com). These have been submitted to RUSA and will show up on RUSA's web once they have gone thru the ACP for final approval. All events are open for registration right now. I still have a few cue sheets to update, and I will be moving the start location of the Kitt Peak events to the El Con Plaza, were our events have been starting lately.

There are a lot of events here and I could use some volunteer help. Anyone who volunteers can ride the event free of charge up to 2 weeks prior to the event date. Please let me know which events you can help support. TIA!

I generally travel a lot in the summer, so if there are events you'd like added in the summer, you will need to be able to provide support for them. I'll be happy to add them to the calendar so long as you agree to support it.

Let me know if you have any questions and please pass this info along to any of your friends who you think might be interested in riding with us. Help get the word out that these events exist.

Also, as my time (and weather) permits, I will be scouting some mixed terrain routes. Let me know if you would like to join me on any of these scouting rides. We can coordinate times/dates for the scouting adventures. I have some routes in mind, but am happy to hear about any rides that you enjoy riding.

Thanks,
-Mike

All these events are now open for registration. See
www.azbrevet.com

Oct 2023:
10/7/2023: Humboldt Hill Climb. 75 miles, 10 are hard packed dirt. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38321907
10/21/2023: North Valley Pop and 200k. 76, 129 miles. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38082742, https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38082625

Nov 2023:
11/18/2023: Kitt Peak 200k. ADOT says the road to the summit will open in Oct. So, I'm putting this on the calendar. I was also told that El Tour de Tucson is this weekend, so it you are planning to get a hotel room you should probably do that sooner rather than later. Our route stays north of El Tour, so cycling should have no impediments. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44433407

Dec 2023:
12/16/2023: Foothills Tour. 63 miles. Preliminary route and awaiting RUSA approval.. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44433842

2024 Calendar (All ACP events):