DNA testing

Gordon Soares

Aug 14, 2017, 12:45:00 AM8/14/17
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi ALL

I have done the DNA testing through Ancestry.com and so has my wife. What I am wondering (and I apologize if I am WAY behind the curve on this) is whether I need to do something else regarding DNA. Is the FTDNA a variation of the Ancestry and just the Family Tree Maker version or is there a difference? Is there another more  specific DNA to the Azores that I should consider?

Gordon Soares

Cheri Mello

Aug 14, 2017, 12:57:40 AM8/14/17
to Azores Genealogy
FTDNA (Family Tree DNA) is one testing company. AncestryDNA is another. Just like you could buy a Ford or a Honda if you were shopping for cars.

Family Tree Maker is a genealogy software where you type in your ancestors. It has nothing to do with DNA.

Lots of things like to name themselves "Family Tree." There's "Family Tree Magazine," "Family Tree Now" and I don't know what else.

Because autosomal DNA testing is run on the Illumina chip you can transfer it over to Family Tree DNA (FTDNA). AncestryDNA uses the Illumina chip, but they have customized it, stripping about 48% of the family markers and replacing them with health. So you won't get as many matches at FTDNA due to less data on the chip. You can transfer over and if you decide to test on the FTDNA platform, I believe it's $59 (I'll have to double check).

Download your raw data from AncestyDNA (if you don't know how, just ask) and then make an account at FTDNA and upload it here: https://www.familytreedna.com/autosomal-transfer

Hope to see you soon! Cheri

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Gordon Soares

Aug 17, 2017, 1:02:31 PM8/17/17
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Cheri:
I really like your instructions for getting to FTDNA. How do I transfer the raw data from Ancestry to FTDNA? Will I be transferring my whole tree or just the results that I got when I received my DNA analysis (which wasn’t much data)? /am I correct that its $59 to transfer the data?
Gordon

Cheri Mello

Aug 17, 2017, 1:25:09 PM8/17/17
to Azores Genealogy
Gordon,

I think you are talking about 2 separate things.
1) Downloading your raw data refers to you downloading your DNA File.
2) Dowloading your tree from Ancestry.com means you are creating a Gedcom.

You need your data of course and you'll also want your tree, as your matches will be looking at it and hopefully trying to figure out the match.

The transfer is free. To unlock FTDNA's tools is $19. OR you can be tested on their platform for $59 (and you get all the tools). The difference is the AncestryDNA chip (as well as 23 and Me) have about half the family markers removed and health markers place there. What that means for a genealogist is that you don't get as many matches as others would in the FTDNA database.

Do the free transfer first.

Here's how to download your raw data from AncestryDNA:
https://support.ancestry.com/s/article/ka215000000U0ERAA0/Downloading-Raw-DNA-Data-1460089696533

It takes a few minutes for the system to create a file for all that DNA. So while you wait for the email from Ancestry that it's ready, make your account with FTDNA:
https://www.familytreedna.com/autosomal-transfer

Then you'll get the data from Ancestry, you will log into your FTDNA account and you'll upload the raw data. If you need help with this part, just let me know.

Also, be sure to join the Azores DNA project.

Log into the FTDNA page with the kit number and password.

Across the top is says: myFTDNA, DNA Tests, Projects....Point at Projects. When the drop down menu appears, click "Join a project."

If the Azores Islands appears on the top, click the link and scroll down to the JOIN button at the end.

If the Azores Islands is not suggested, scroll down to where it says "Search by Surname" and type: azores.

When Azores Islands appears, click the link and follow the directions.

If you need more detailed help, just email me and we can go off-list and I can help you. I can also get the $59 full platform for you. gfscherim at gmail.com