biqua

66 views
Skip to first unread message

Carlos Melo

unread,
Sep 9, 2026, 10:04:17 AMSep 9
to Azores Genealogy
Hi,

Does anyone know the meaning of the word after Maria Roiz and before mulher livre in the baptism record of Gabriel:

Is it biqua?

Thanks!

Carlos

Cheri Mello

unread,
Sep 9, 2026, 10:37:45 AMSep 9
to Azores Genealogy
There are 6 baptisms on the provided link. Don't know where to look.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to azores+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/30114462-5156-41bb-bacc-d1129e0bcce2n%40googlegroups.com.

Carlos Melo

unread,
Sep 9, 2026, 11:21:26 AMSep 9
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cheri,

I did write “Gabriel” in my previous message.

Thanks! 

Carlos



You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/azores/mpgOmFjeRvQ/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to azores+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/CAKUUw_GaYcJ0ychP6SepSMbOFF-Wr_6EQw7QjrJQAypLJUEyvw%40mail.gmail.com.

Cheri Mello

unread,
Sep 9, 2026, 12:34:48 PMSep 9
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Sorry about that Carlos! I guess I was blind this morning. My oversight.

I'm not sure, but I think it might be a form of bigamy. 
Gabriel, son of Maria Rodrigues, free bigamist wife, natural (birth of Gabriel) of this freguesia .....

So she's separated from her husband? I don't know. I've never seen one like this. I've see "adultery" though.

Hopefully others can shed more light.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Carlos Melo

unread,
Sep 9, 2026, 1:36:54 PMSep 9
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Cheri! 

This one is definitely a doozy. I think that “mulher livre” means free woman, since she was a single mother (father unknown). This was a key distinction because of the mother were a slave, so would the child. 

But I have no idea what the word in between mean. I don’t even know if I’ve read it correctly. 

Cheers




Cheri Mello

unread,
Sep 9, 2026, 9:35:59 PMSep 9
to Azores Genealogy
I've seen "Sui juris" (Latin) for a free independent person. I don't think the term has a gender. But this priest or scribe seems to be doing his own thing. It'll depend on that one "bigua" (sp) word.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages