Tombo.pt / CCA Format change

Rick Drolet

Dec 24, 2021, 4:05:08 PM12/24/21
to Azores Genealogy
Has anyone else found that recent changes (~2-3 days ago) has created some linkage issues and viewing concerns for Azores Islands?

See: Server Error attached

Apparently, the record link format has been changed. This affects all of the hyper links that I have stored while searching and selecting Tombo.pt/CCA Baptism and Marriage records. Specifically the tailing portion of the link has been changed.

This was the precious link:

And this is the latest:

This resultant record display as also been changed and is not so readable. This page is at the Maximum Magnification available with this tool. Note also that the index selection 0134 is barely readable.

I discovered a workaround for this display, but only works if you have access to a touch screen display to expand the displayed data.

So the question is how do we get back to what was working? Does anyone on the group have an "In" to this Website, or can translate this message to the native Portuguese?

Note: I am using Windows 10, FireFox and Chrome browsers

ServerError.jpg
Tombo-CCA-Dec2021.jpg

Cheri Mello

Dec 24, 2021, 4:06:39 PM12/24/21
to Azores Genealogy
Yep! Tish and Denis Meals noticed it. I'm hoping it's a work in progress and needs some fine tuning. Being the holidays, we may not get any answers until next year! :)
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Cheri Mello

Dec 24, 2021, 4:07:59 PM12/24/21
to Azores Genealogy
P.S. It is NOT a change to Tombo.pt. It's a change to the CCA website. Tombo.pt is a gateway to the CCA. All it does is link to the CCA records.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

bsei.azo...@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2021, 4:48:10 PM12/24/21
to Azores Genealogy
This is a bummer.  Now none of my web links work.

Silver lining: Thanks to your post bringing this to my attention it is fixable on the address bar so not quite a disaster.  Still, the magnification is an issue--my eyes are getting older.

Thank you,
Bill Seidler

Mary Bordi

Dec 24, 2021, 5:21:30 PM12/24/21
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I was noticing the link issue yesterday. Some pages seemed fine but when I got to the following year I got the “file not found” message.

Today I see the visual differences and my links to the pages from my genealogy app are broken. I remember this happened in the past, too.

But since I’m on an iPad and have a touch screen I can still zoom in.

Arrrgh…I’m too old to have to learn a new way to do this!

Mary
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to azores+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/e464af7e-fcb6-4fd7-a321-2aab6cd1f9f6n%40googlegroups.com.

Deni Meals

Dec 24, 2021, 9:06:49 PM12/24/21
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Bill: I don't quite understand part of your statement, "it is fixable
on the address bar so not quite a disaster". If you've discovered a
work-around fix, please share it.

I agree with Rick Drolet's message. As far as I can tell, unless the
persons responsible for this new formatting, can be persuaded to
return to the original web linking format, it is a total DISASTER.

My entire portuguese genealogy database (some 5,000+ Santa Marians),
most have the original web links attached, many with the 3 different
links of baptism, marriage, death. When I started this project, I
thought this a full-proof system, allowing anyone to check my
information easily. Now it's impossible to convert, and who's to say
there won't be further changes in the future?

My original complaint to Cheri was simply the lack of enlargement; I
didn't realize, the original web linking system had also been changed
-- that's obviously, a much more serious problem.
Denis

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/e464af7e-fcb6-4fd7-a321-2aab6cd1f9f6n%40googlegroups.com.

Kathy Cardoza

Dec 24, 2021, 9:21:30 PM12/24/21
to Azores Google Group
I understand that folks are upset by the URL change. If I may say, though, this is EXACTLY why you should never use a URL as a source citation. The reason is just like this; the URL, web address, can change at any time so it is not an absolute source. Researchers may want to include the URL where they found the source but always should download the documents and attach them to the person or the citation.

KATHY CARDOZA   coordinator
Azores GenWeb
http://www.worldgenweb.org/azrwgw/

bsei.azo...@gmail.com

Dec 25, 2021, 6:37:10 AM12/25/21
to Azores Genealogy
Sorry Denis but I do not have a work around.  I only meant that I can use the links I have, then manually change the url in the address bar on a one-by-one basis.  It would be even worse if I had to search for each record again.  My knowing how to manipulate this does not help anyone I may have shared CCA hyperlinks with previously.
Bill

bsei.azo...@gmail.com

Dec 25, 2021, 5:00:28 PM12/25/21
to Azores Genealogy
Perhaps it's still a work in progress.  I notice that on Santa Maria in Santo Espirito, the baptisms use the new format and new graphics and have useless magnification.  The marriages however, are still as they have always been so old hyperlinks still work and magnification is as we are used to.

Bill

Deni Meals

Dec 25, 2021, 7:14:39 PM12/25/21
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Bill: Replying to your 25 December 2 pm message. Yes, I've seen that
as well. Santa Maria even though the first discovered, seems to lag
behind its larger neighbor islands. Smaller, perhaps less affluent
populations always do.

I've tried your method of manually changing the old hyperlinks in the
address bar. This does of course work; it's just a cumbersome way
around this problem foisted upon us. I think I'll wait awhile,
waiting to see if the new format remains permanently.
Denis

On 12/25/21, bsei.azo...@gmail.com <bsei.azo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps it's still a work in progress. I notice that on Santa Maria in
> Santo Espirito, the baptisms use the new format and new graphics and have
> useless magnification. The marriages however, are still as they have
> always been so old hyperlinks still work and magnification is as we are
> used to.
>
> Bill
>
> On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 10:37:10 AM UTC-1 bsei.azo...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
>> Sorry Denis but I do not have a work around. I only meant that I can use
>>
>> the links I have, then manually change the url in the address bar on a
>> one-by-one basis. It would be even worse if I had to search for each
>> record again. My knowing how to manipulate this does not help anyone I
>> may
>> have shared CCA hyperlinks with previously.
>> Bill
>> On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 1:21:30 AM UTC-1 Kathy Cardoza wrote:
>>
>>> I understand that folks are upset by the URL change. If I may say,
>>> though, this is EXACTLY why you should never use a URL as a source
>>> citation. The reason is just like this; the URL, web address, can change
>>> at
>>> any time so it is not an absolute source. Researchers may want to include
>>>
>>> the URL where they found the source but always should download the
>>> documents and attach them to the person or the citation.
>>>

>>> KATHY CARDOZA coordinator
>>> Azores GenWeb
>>> http://www.worldgenweb.org/azrwgw/
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> email to azores+un...@googlegroups.com.

>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/CADvKw0WNJ-bWgjiWRVAsUwv8tHUpWGfiDt9bbSEdthDBsm%2BOJQ%40mail.gmail.com
>>> .
>>>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/67f2ca5d-1c39-4be4-b98f-697db5db1d00n%40googlegroups.com.

bsei.azo...@gmail.com

Dec 25, 2021, 7:44:50 PM12/25/21
to Azores Genealogy
It is cumbersome and not very efficient when you have to do it with every record you open from a hyperlink.  I'm not making changes to my hyperlinks at this point in the hopes they return the previous format so I don't have to.  We will see.

Bill

João Ventura

Dec 27, 2021, 6:02:29 AM12/27/21
to Azores Genealogy
Wow.

I noticed this f**up today, and I have to say I'm not pleased.. This immediately made the tombo.pt extension both a necessity, as the images can barely be browsed, and at the same time a nuisance as the extension is now broken.

Thanks for the pointer to the still working Santa Maria pages. If you click in the "Ficha Técnica" link at the bottom of those specific book pages, you'll be able to see that those use ContentE v.5.02 - from 2016-04-06. The new pages use ContentE v.5.13 from 2021-12-22. I expect the new version will continue to use the new URLs. Looking at the network traffic on v5.1 vs v5.0, I can see that the new version only fetches the scanned image from the CCA servers, whereas v5.0 pulled a new HTML page, plus a stylesheet, and 8 small images for the navigation icons above the image, and finally the scanned image.. The new version is way better at keeping the servers under lower usage load, so well done whoever implemented it! Of course, in reality most of those were cached in the browser anyway and it's only saving the effort of getting the HTML page, but that is a small detail.

I too have thousands of links that are now broken. The good thing is that I know how to use regular expressions in search and replace patterns, so I'll fix them in my database quite fast (and yes, I do know the last part is composed of English words, but it probably sounded alien to most of you).

I'm trying to fix this mess in the tombo.pt extension, and I'll even throw in a fix to the existing URLs. I'll come back here when Google approves my fixed version.

Thanks CCA for this Christmas gift, or not..

Belayed Merry Christmas to everyone, and hopefully I'll have news before the New Year.

Regards,

João Ventura

Cheri Mello

Dec 27, 2021, 10:39:59 AM12/27/21
to Azores Genealogy
Hi João (the Tombo guy) *for those who don't know what I'm talking about, read the asterisk at the end.

You said:
<<and yes, I do know the last part is composed of English words, but it probably sounded alien to most of you.>>

ROFLOL! Yep, you read my mind! I could kinda follow what you were saying, but it was a lot of "geek speak" and I was thinking "Couldn't he say that in English?" LOL

Yes, please post back when you fix this mess for us. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

You said:
<<Thanks CCA for this Christmas gift, or not.>>
My sentiments exactly!

* We have 2 João Venturas on this list (that I'm aware of). The João that posted here is the João who does computer stuff and created Tombo.pt. He lives somewhere in Europe. The other João is the one who lives on Terceira and works for the Azorean government. He is an archivist there and he is available for hire. So we have João the Tombo guy and João the archivist. Just a little modern day twist to what our ancestors went through with knowing many of the same name.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Deni Meals

Dec 27, 2021, 1:06:02 PM12/27/21
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Cheri: If "João the Tombo guy" can indeed help us with this problem,
you should rename him in my opinion, to hence-forth be identified as
Santa or Saint João.
Deni
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/609bfa74-3790-4882-9866-9a401ac71095n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/CAKUUw_FzvQtjBQgchXDUu3AeZsECRdSjE%3DMSzh0pweWTFAHxgg%40mail.gmail.com.

JesseAndDeborah Mendonca

Dec 27, 2021, 1:11:49 PM12/27/21
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Jorge Aparicio

Dec 27, 2021, 1:13:50 PM12/27/21
to azo...@googlegroups.com

In the example Rick gave, the original link was

        .... /P134

indicating the page number ( page 134 )

In the new link, you replace the letter P as :

          .... /index.html?page=134

Most likely they changed the motor of database.

Hope it is useful.

Regards,

         Jorge.

El viernes, 24 de diciembre de 2021, Jorge Aparicio <jorge.p...@gmail.com> escribió:
What you state is a wise habit to acquire, Kathy.

But it is also necessary what Bill says, to solve
the temporal issue.

Cheri,
What Bill says is that you have to modify  the
ending of the URL.
It is quite simple, once you take a close look.

Regards.

            Jorge

El viernes, 24 de diciembre de 2021, 'Kathy Cardoza' via Azores Genealogy <azo...@googlegroups.com> escribió:
I understand that folks are upset by the URL change. If I may say, though, this is EXACTLY why you should never use a URL as a source citation. The reason is just like this; the URL, web address, can change at any time so it is not an absolute source. Researchers may want to include the URL where they found the source but always should download the documents and attach them to the person or the citation.

KATHY CARDOZA   coordinator
Azores GenWeb
http://www.worldgenweb.org/azrwgw/

Rick Drolet

Dec 27, 2021, 1:14:00 PM12/27/21
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Joao for the detailed analysis. As I am not an expert on the use of regular expressions I look forward to an example script.

Michelle M. Winner

Dec 27, 2021, 1:14:11 PM12/27/21
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Mahalo for all of your dedication and kōkua!
Michelle

Michelle M. Winner
Brides: Contributor
SFGATE: Contributor
TravelPulse: Contributor
Past Credits: Conde Nast, Afar, Saveur, New York Times, Islands Magazine, LuxeGetaways, Western Art & Architecture, WineMedia
President Emerita IFWTWA
Member: SATW, PALAT
@culinarytravel on Twitter and Instagram

On Dec 27, 2021, at 3:02 AM, João Ventura <jo...@venturas.org> wrote:

Wow.

João Ventura

Dec 27, 2021, 1:31:52 PM12/27/21
to Azores Genealogy
Hi again,

I've fixed the problem, but Google will take some time to review and publish it. I'll come back and tell you when the new version is published. It normally takes 1-2 days, but it may take longer during this holiday period. The fix will need you to have the tombo.pt extension installed from https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tombopt/odidddlamjopaonajkhdapeidbnmbbjo

Once it is installed, the extension will take over the CCA user interface and replace it with something from this century. You can easily go back to the original site by clicking on the CCA logo on top center or the 'X' on the top right corner. To get it back reload the page or press the 't' extension icon (nowadays Chrome doesn't show it by default, so easier to just reload). I believe I made it idiot-proof, but as always I welcome any constructive suggestions.

If you use an old URL, the extension will redirect you to to new one. I believe I set it up in a way that it detects if ContentE 5.0 is being used and not change the URL, but I welcome any bugs once the new version is published.

Some that might have paid for the extension subscription in the past will be asking what happened to the paid features. The answer is simple and complex. Simple: your subscription has expired. Complex: more than a year ago, Google removed the ability for people to pay for extensions.. I'm still looking for an alternative, but the problem is that the low income generated by the subscriptions doesn't offset the effort necessary to make it work again. Also, it works fine for me, which doesn't make me want to fix it like I wanted to fix CCA today.

About all the "João Ventura"s out there.. I know a few more, and I'm pretty sure we all have more than 2 names (I have 4), but we're all being lazy and just wanting to write first-last, and skip over middle1-middle2. I wish all the Manuel Franciscos married to a Maria Rodrigues in my tree all had a few middle names that I could use to remove any ambiguities.. Just yesterday I was looking at a tip I got, but he gave the year wrong (1825 instead of 1835), and there of course was a couple with the same names marrying in the same parish 10 years before.. Aarghhh. And it's far back enough that it is entirely possible that both of them are the ancestors I was seeking.

João Ventura

João Ventura

Dec 27, 2021, 1:43:10 PM12/27/21
to Azores Genealogy
Hi Rick,

Well the problem is whether your genealogy software lets you use search and replace with regular expressions.. In my case, mine does so I used the following:

Search: (http://.*\.culturacores\.azores.gov\.pt/biblioteca_digital/.*)/P(\d+)\.html
Replace: $1/index.html?page=$2

The problem is that mine is a self-hosted site that I don't recommend to anyone that doesn't know how to setup their own web server: https://webtrees.net, and most people don't have the knowledge to use it. In any case, if you can download your GEDCOM file, there are text editors out there that allow you to use regular expressions and the above should replace all URLs correctly. You can then check a few URLs directly, and once satisfied, re-import the modified GEDCOM into the same program.

João

João Ventura

Dec 27, 2021, 1:50:53 PM12/27/21
to Azores Genealogy
Hi all,

Some further info to my post about the extension that i forgot to write. Since it is now not possible to pay for it, there is no longer any blocker on creating the Firefox version of the extension (code is 99.9% the same), so I'll be looking into creating that.

Chrome is used by 71% of tombo.pt users, Edge by 10%, Safari 8% and Firefox 7%. I'll try to see if I can make something up for Edge. For Safari users, I recommend switching to Firefox or Chrome.

João Ventura

Cheri Mello

Dec 27, 2021, 2:02:40 PM12/27/21
to Azores Genealogy
Hi João,

I guess I'm a weird 7% Firefox user. My Portuguese stuff is in Firefox and my American lines are in Chrome (because I keep about 100 tabs open at a time in both! Well, maybe not 100. But A LOT).

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Rick Drolet

Dec 27, 2021, 2:09:34 PM12/27/21
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you

João Ventura jo...@venturas.org

Bob Camacho

Dec 27, 2021, 7:43:14 PM12/27/21
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone.  I have seen all the chatter about the changes to the CCA format, but checking to see if I am doing something wrong, I am not able to in large to read it, I have tried to hit the "+" button and it only goes so far, is it the program or the browser?  Is there something I am doing wrong, or is it the browser?

Bob Camacho

Cheri Mello

Dec 27, 2021, 7:45:00 PM12/27/21
to Azores Genealogy
Yes Bob C, if you read the entire thread, that's what we are talking about. They can no longer be enlarged. It's their program and that's what Joao Ventura, the Tombo guy, is trying to come up with a work around.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Rick Drolet

Dec 27, 2021, 7:55:27 PM12/27/21
to azo...@googlegroups.com
You need a touch screen to expand and pinch.

Ângela Loura

Dec 27, 2021, 7:55:34 PM12/27/21
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Only way I got to successfully enlarge the images is to right-click and select 'open image in a new window', but to do that page by page is exhausting...

Margaret Vicente

Dec 27, 2021, 7:56:25 PM12/27/21
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Cheri,

I think this issue may be just temporary and do hope CCA will fix it, however, for those of us who may wish to  carry on with their research, if you right mouse click over the open image and select open in new window, it will then pop an image you can enlarge to any size you wish on the google bar tool. It’s actually easier then having to click on the enlarging lens so many times and the image is nice and clear.

Margaret V

Cheri Mello

Dec 27, 2021, 7:56:52 PM12/27/21
to Azores Genealogy
Rick D,

Even with a touch screen, it would be annoying to do that image by image as Angela said. Ugh, let's hope that there will be a work around on Tombo!
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

bsei.azo...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2021, 9:10:57 PM12/27/21
to Azores Genealogy
It appears Margaret is right that the magnification issue it is just temporary and an update dated today fixes that.  Below is a link to a Santa Maria record that under "Ficha Technica" shows the 12/23/2021 version that changed the URL and caused grossly limited the magnifier.  It is still like that as of 5 minutes ago (1:05 AM, Azores Time):

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMA-VP-SANTOESPIRITO-C-1900-1906/SMA-VP-SANTOESPIRITO-C-1900-1906_item1/index.html?page=33 ContentE v.5.13 - 2021-12-23T21:21:23

Here is Terceira Island link that under "Ficha Technica" gives today's date so it must be new.  It still has the new URL which is likely permanent, but the magnifier works well and even goes beyond the old version's limits:

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/TER-AH-RIBEIRINHA-B-1880-1889/TER-AH-RIBEIRINHA-B-1880-1889_item1/index.html?page=1 ContentE v.5.13 - 2021-12-28T00:01:03

I think it likely they will all be updated.

Bill Seidler

João Ventura

Dec 28, 2021, 4:52:13 AM12/28/21
to Azores Genealogy
Hi all,

The new version of the extension for Chrome has been published by Google. You can get version 1.3.0 here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tombopt/odidddlamjopaonajkhdapeidbnmbbjo

As Bill mentioned, the zoom function seems to be fixed in all the CCA books, so the extension is not as necessary today as it was yesterday. You might need to flush your browser cache in case your browser cached the defective version of the zoom scripts in the page. The timestamp on the 'Ficha Técnica' does not need to be from the last 24h, as I think this was an update to all the files across CCA. I believe the timestamp is the time when they generate the new book page, and from the looks of it they're still going through the conversion process.

The extension does allow you to use the old URLs, as it will detect if the book has been updated and then redirect to the correct new URL address, and it allows you to use better zoom and drag-drop than the new version of CCA. There are a few bugs on the CCA side that from time to time break the extension, but a page reload usually fixes it.

Wish you all an Happy New Year of 2022,

João Ventura

bsei.azo...@gmail.com

Dec 28, 2021, 8:44:13 AM12/28/21
to Azores Genealogy
Thanks, João!  The extension works great to allow use of old-format hyperlinks.  The interface to manipulate the image when the page opens is wonderful.  I didn't know you had an extension before but it sure is great to zoom in using the scroll wheel on my mouse.  Rotating an image without having to download it first is also huge bonus.  I wish subscriptions were available so I could try the other features.

Bill

Veronica Perry

Dec 28, 2021, 4:35:48 PM12/28/21
to azo...@googlegroups.com

João Ventura  Thank you so much for posting the information on the extension!  It definitely works!!!!  I initially get a "404 File or Directory not found" for the old URL but after waiting a few seconds the document loads under the new URL.

Rick Drolet

Dec 28, 2021, 4:36:01 PM12/28/21
to Azores Genealogy
The changes to CCA for magnification work! Yay

But I have found another anomaly with the stored CCA links (new format: /index.html?page=134) that only open page 1.

I have confirmed this on Chrome and FireFox browsers.
For Chrome, the Tombo.Pt browser extension does in fact work, both magnification and the correct page references. Unfortunately, I could not find this extension for FireFox.