DNA: Third Party Transfers (from AncestryDNA or 23 and Me)

Cheri Mello

Feb 16, 2017, 11:11:35 AM2/16/17
to Azores Genealogy, prt-m...@rootsweb.com, Island...@googlegroups.com
(Cross posted to Azores, Madeira, and Island Routes)

Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) can now accept transfers from AncestryDNA or 23andMe. So if you've been waiting to transfer, or waiting for the issue to be resolved so you can transfer, it can now happen!!

A bunch of people will be doing this so if the system starts to hiccup, get indigestion, and finally acid reflux, it's probably overwhelmed with people uploading and you'll have to try again later. At this very moment (8:00 a.m PST) it should be OK.

Let the transfers begin!!
Cheri Mello, Family Tree DNA Admin (volunteer)
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Donald Vasconcelos

Feb 16, 2017, 11:26:14 AM2/16/17
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for posting!

Sent from my iPhone

Cheri Mello

Feb 16, 2017, 11:35:11 AM2/16/17
to Azores Genealogy, prt-m...@rootsweb.com, Island...@googlegroups.com
(Cross posted again)

How to do it.
1) Log into your AncestryDNA or 23andMe account and download the raw data. If you don't know where the raw data is, you'll have to do an Internet search for: download raw data *company name*

2) Create an account (unless you already have) here: https://www.familytreedna.com/autosomal-transfer
There's also information on how to dowload your raw data.
(If you are unsure if you made an account, email me with the name and the email address(es) you think you used and I'll look. You would have been given a number of B##### (B kits are third party transfer kits).

3) Upload your data and wait. I have no idea how long the wait will be (1 day or 2???) or how overwhelmed the system will be.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Cheri Mello

Feb 16, 2017, 11:52:38 AM2/16/17
to Azores Genealogy, prt-m...@rootsweb.com, Island...@googlegroups.com
(Cross posted again)
You can transfer for free, but it's a limited account. You get 20 matches. If I were your match, you'd see C. Mello. It doesn't show my full name or email. You have access to the matrix tool under this free (limited) account.

To unlock everything used to cost $39. On the link in the previous email, it states that it is $19 to transfer. To test with FTDNA is $79 +$12.95 S&H. (All in U.S. Dollars). So the $19 is a good deal! I don't know how long the $19 will last.
Cheri

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Sami

Feb 16, 2017, 2:50:34 PM2/16/17
to Azores Genealogy
Thank you for this information. I just did my transfer and joined the Azores group project. No problems- all went smoothly!

Liz Migliori

Feb 16, 2017, 4:30:00 PM2/16/17
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Can I transfer to 23and me?

Sent from my iPhone

Cheri Mello

Feb 16, 2017, 4:33:42 PM2/16/17
to Azores Genealogy
No, this only transfers to FTDNA from the other companies. It won't work the other way.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Cheri Mello

Feb 16, 2017, 5:26:26 PM2/16/17
to Azores Genealogy, prt-m...@rootsweb.com, Island...@googlegroups.com
(Cross posted: Azores, Madeira, IslandRoutes)

Here's the official blurb from FTDNA:
  • Customers can now transfer 23andMe© V4 and AncestryDNA™ V2 files in addition to the 23andMe© V3 and AncestryDNA™ V1 files that Family Tree DNA accepted previously. MyHeritage and Genographic transfers will be supported in the coming weeks.

  • Family Tree DNA still does not accept 23andMe© processed prior to November 2010. A Family Finder test will need to be purchased.

  • 23andMe© V3 and AncestryDNA™ V1 now receive a full list of matches and the ability to use the Matrix feature FOR FREE. For only $19, the customer can unlock the Chromosome Browser, myOrigins, and ancientOrigins.
  • 23andMe© V4 and AncestryDNA™ V2 receive all but the most speculative matches (6th to remote cousins), also for free. After transferring, if the customer wants to receive speculative matches, they will have to submit a sample and have a Family Finder run at the reduced price of $59.

  • Matches should take somewhere between one and 24 hours to appear, depending on the volume of tests in the autosomal pipeline.

  • myOrigins update will be released in the coming weeks. Until then transfers will include only broad populations.

  • Additionally, all previously transferred files that have not been unlocked will receive their matches and have access to the Matrix feature for free as long as the release form is signed. These kits will be also be able to unlock the other Family Finder features for $19. If the transfer was on a kit with another product where the release form has already been signed, then the matches will appear with no further action necessary.

  • The Autosomal Transfer webpage has been enhanced to include a new image and a FAQ section. The FAQ section is displayed towards the bottom of the page.
  • If a customer tries to transfer the same autosomal file a second time, a message will be displayed that the file is a duplicate and will list the kit number of the original kit.

  • The main Autosomal Transfer topic in the Learning Center has been updated. This topic contains the most recent information and now includes all transfer subtopics on the same page. Additional FAQ information will be added to this topic as needed in the future.