Help Finding Azevedo Soares and Enos (Inas?) in Pico

已查看 76 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Kataryna V

未读,
2021年12月2日 10:23:522021/12/2
收件人 Azores Genealogy
Hello,

I'm Kataryna and I have been doing research on my family history for a couple years. I am branching out and starting to do my cousin's Azorean roots as well. I am running into difficulties finding the freguesia/parents for my cousin's great-grandparents, Abel Azevedo Soares and Mary Enos (Inas). A newspaper clipping from Abel's death confirmed he was born in Pico, and I am assuming Mary is probably from the same freguesia/island.

Abel Azevedo Soares: b. Dec 6, 1898 d. Nov 29, 1952, immigrated to CA between 1916-1917
Mary Enos (Inas): b. Jan 21, 1904 d. Fev 18, 1993, immigrated to CA circa 1921

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Kataryna Verissimo

Cheri Mello

未读,
2021年12月2日 10:43:112021/12/2
收件人 Azores Genealogy
Katryna,

If they met and married in California, you cannot assume that Maria was also from Pico. She could be from any of the islands.

Abel is a less common name. Search for him first. Many (not all) of the freguesias of Pico were indexed by the University of Minho and posted on the CITCEM site:

If you don't find Abel there, then manually search the unindexed freguesias. You have a birth date, so it shouldn't be too hard.

As for Maria, you'll have to hope that someone naturalized. That will at least give you Maria's island. If neither naturalized, the had to register as aliens once the green card program began in 1940. That paperwork also asks where one was born. Their marriage at the church *might* also tell you where they were born.

More ideas for finding your freguesia can be found on the Azores Genweb here:

Good luck,
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

bsei.azo...@gmail.com

未读,
2021年12月2日 16:56:042021/12/2
收件人 Azores Genealogy
I found naturalization papers on Ancestry for Francisco Azevedo Soares that may be a brother.  He was born in 1894 in Piedade, Pico.  I looked up "Azevedo Soares" on CITCEM and found a Francisco Azevedo Soares with a son Manuel born in 1894 and another son, "Albel" born 6 Nov 1897.  I looked up this baptism in CCA and his name is actually Abel.  Even though this would make his birthdate on his death record 13 months off, I suspect this is your guy.

Bill Seidler

bsei.azo...@gmail.com

未读,
2021年12月2日 17:51:392021/12/2
收件人 Azores Genealogy
Mary Enos = Maria Inacia and her death record says her father's last name is Candido, so I looked up Maria Inacia Candido and found Maria I Candido, 17 years old from Santo Amaro, Pico arrive in Boston on 9 Jul 1920.  I searched for her baptism and lucky enough it not only has her birthdate the same as USA records for Mary Enos, but has a margin note about her marrying Abel Azevedo Soares, a native of Piedade, Pico, in Newman CA on 24 May 1922.

Bill Seidler

Cheri Mello

未读,
2021年12月2日 18:52:402021/12/2
收件人 Azores Genealogy
Wow, what a lucky find! They told the parish back home they married in America!!

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Kataryna V

未读,
2021年12月4日 11:31:392021/12/4
收件人 Azores Genealogy
Wow wow! Thank you so much Bill!! I knew he had a brother Manuel, but I couldn't find much on him either. This is so helpful, thanks again!

Best,

Kataryna Verissimo

bsei.azo...@gmail.com

未读,
2021年12月4日 13:43:412021/12/4
收件人 Azores Genealogy
Yea I just took a quick look but was astounded at the lucky break with Mary Enos's baptism confirming their California marriage.  That is a rare confirmation in my experience.

On another note, I added Anna Evangelho and Mateus Gonçalves Silva to my tree as a result of Margaret's response to Mark's post, "Translation Needed", 26 Nov 2021.  When I did, your "Verissimo" tree came up as a hint.  Anna is a sister of your ancestor Antonio Parreira Soares, 1675 - 1754.  The Jose Pires and Agada Evangelho that Mark's post is about are also your ancestors according to your tree.  They are the parents of your ancestor Agada de Jesus Evangelho married to Inacio Cardoso.  Here is her baptism: http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/TER-AH-RIBEIRINHA-B-1722-1742/TER-AH-RIBEIRINHA-B-1722-1742_item1/P142.html (3d on right.  Also linked on Mark's thread); and here is her marriage:  http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/TER-AH-RIBEIRINHA-C-1745-1789/TER-AH-RIBEIRINHA-C-1745-1789_item1/P85.html.  The marriage has a margin note about the 1803 marriage justification record Mark's thread is concerning.

So it appears that Jose Pires and Agada Evangelho are common ancestors to you and Mark.  If Jose's parents are Pedro Alvares Rabolo and Barbara Lucas Viera as I suspect, then the latter couple are common ancestor to you me and Mark.

I hope all of this makes sense.  Please correct anything that seems wrong.

Bill Seidler

Kataryna V

未读,
2021年12月11日 09:23:022021/12/11
收件人 Azores Genealogy
My father's side of the family is from Ribeirinha and has been there for centuries, so it wouldn't surprise me that we're all connected. I looked back at the thread you were referencing from Mark's post, "Translation Needed", 26 Nov 2021, and I believe you are correct in all that you've stated. It took me a while to make sense of it all, but I see how all the info connects. So, if I am understanding correctly, Anna Evangelho and Mateus Goncalves Silva are parents to Agueda Evangelho b. 1742 who married Jose Pires 1697?-1769 who is the couple missing their marriage registration. Anna Evangelho is sister to my ancestor Antonio Parreira Soares and I see that both of the sibling's descendants intermarried, so it gets a bit confusing, but is making sense. With your discovery on Catarina's obit, I think it's a natural assumption that those are Jose Pires's parents, especially with his maternal grandparent's name being Pires, but I also hope to find stronger confirmation for this suspicion. It is interesting to see the 1803 marriage justification note in the margin of Agueda's records and that of her siblings. Haven't come across this instance yet, thanks for making the connection for me!

Best,

Kataryna Verissimo

回复全部
回复作者