Azores Trip - how to pay on the Islands

Marilyn Thompson

Mar 21, 2023, 10:39:36 AM3/21/23
to Cheri Mello
What form of payment is best to use for purchases?

I have not been on the islands for 22 years. Can I use a credit card or cash (US or Euro)?
I want to be prepared.

I plan to go to San Miguel, Terceira, and Sao Jorge.

Thank you for your suggestions.
M Thompson

Cheri Mello

Mar 21, 2023, 10:56:50 AM3/21/23
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Since you are in Portugal, you need to use euros. You can bring US Dollars and exchange for euros at the airport, at a foreign exchange (my mall has a Thomas Cook), or at the bank there. Smaller businesses might only deal in euros.

You can use credit cards there too. Check with your credit card company to see what their exchange fees are (converting from USD to euros). I have a Venture One card (by Capital One) that I use for travel points. It has no exchange fees and a couple of other perks.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

lunamarc

Apr 1, 2023, 10:38:12 PM4/1/23
to Azores Genealogy
I would certainly check to see what the fees are for using an ATM for euros with your Bank Debit CC as you can pull out cash as you need it and not convert too much at once.

I use my CC, with no foreign transaction fees most of the time. Cash for smaller vendors.

Maria C Luna

Cheri Mello

Apr 1, 2023, 11:20:49 PM4/1/23
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I have a credit card with travel rewards. I don't pay anything for conversion fees. It's got a couple of other perks too.

The first time I went, I got some euros here. My mall had a Thomas Cook foreign exchange where I got some euros the first time. Now I usually come back with some euros and I just keep it for the next time.