Genealogy/Visiting Sorn

Kelly Clark

Feb 17, 2019, 4:52:39 AM2/17/19
to Ayrshire History
Hi,

I'm not really sure if this is the right place to be posting this, but I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

I've been researching my family history for years now (McClemont - shoemakers) and this July I'll be visiting the Sorn area.  I'll only be in Sorn for the day, so I'd like to see Brigen' Sorn (Montgarswood), the former location of Lint Mill, Sorn Parish Churchyard & "10 Ayr Street" which is where some of my ancestors lived at one time.  I'd also love to see more of their history, but I'm not sure how to find out more.  (This is about it on Ancestry.)  Is there any resource or organization like an historical society that I could be contacting?
Thanks,
Kelly (McClemont) Clark
USA

alexandra watson

Feb 18, 2019, 7:11:26 AM2/18/19
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Sorn is in the County of East Ayrshire ... contact the local genealogy centre for advice who have many documents/ records and on line access to others. Kilmarnock about 20 mins by car from Sorn.

They have a good on line profile with telephone numbers and email addresses.

The Burns Monument Centre, Kay Park, Kilmarnock.

Hope this helps.

Deborah Rea

Feb 18, 2019, 12:00:45 PM2/18/19
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com, Lyn Schwartz
Hi Kelly,

Cumnock has a fantastic Cumnock Connections site online (https://cumnockconnections.tribalpages.com.  If you type in the name 'McClemont' several McClemont's appear:
1. McClemont, Anne (Annie) (1855-1928).  She married Robert Paton b. 1849 on 28 April 1874.  He is my 4th cousin 4x rem.
2.  James McClemont (1825-1905)
3.  James McClemont (1887-1947)
4.  McClemont, John (1918-1985)
5.  McClemont, John Robert (1900-1901)
6.  McClemont or McClymont, John (1858-1932)

You might also want to hook up with Lyn Swartz who administers the Paton website on Spokt.  Spending one day in the area just won't cut it, Kelly, however, it will help if you can look on these two sites before you come over.

Lyn - I only just discovered this site last October.  Many of my Shields came down from Stewarton to the Cumnock area as did the Patons from Galston.

Happy hunting!
Debbie

--
Debbie Rea

Kelly Clark

Feb 27, 2019, 4:33:01 AM2/27/19
to Ayrshire History
Hi Debbie,

Your James (1825) is my ancestor's (John 1823-1908) brother.  John and his family moved to Canada in 1852 via the US.  Some of his children moved to the US, including my great-grandfather who moved to Niagara Falls in the 1930's.  My branch of the family still lives within a 15 mile radius of the Falls.  It's gorgeous.  If you ever get a chance to visit, I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the website - I hadn't seen that one before.  I've updated my Ancestry page accordingly because I didn't have all of that information.  I have followed my line back to 1745 but earlier than that is murky. I wish that I had more time to spend in Sorn, but unfortunately, that's it for this trip.  I have quite a bit of "the basics" in terms of BMD information so I'm really hoping to see if there are any early documents/info about James McClemont (b 1745) and John McClemont (b 1772).  The tricky thing about researching from abroad is that while the naming patterns helps, I don't really have a firm grip on where the communities are in relation to one another.  It's hard to figure out if a McClemont in another town is from the same family.  Someone else mentioned that people moved around the small towns quite a bit which gives me a little more confidence in terms of searching around the area online.

I can't wait to visit Scotland this summer!  Thanks for your help!
Kelly

Kelly Clark

Feb 27, 2019, 4:33:01 AM2/27/19
to Ayrshire History