Dreghorn - Early history

Marcus Hazel-McGown

Jan 25, 2024, 5:13:51 AMJan 25
to Ayrshire History
Hi everyone,

I live near Dreghorn (Broomlands, behind the village) and am interested in finding as much history about the area as physically possible. I know that it is possibly one of the oldest continually inhabited places historically.  but other than that and post 1750 information I am finding anything else difficult to find. Can anyone recommend any good starting points?

Marcus

Deborah Rea

Jan 25, 2024, 7:40:16 AMJan 25
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marcus -

Have you tried to make contact with Dane Love or perhaps Roger Griffith?  Roger writes for Wikepedia and produces videos on areas he has researched.

I have a pretty thick old book on Kilmaurs at home... I am presently at an appointment and will return later this afternoon.

Regards,
Debbie Rea

Anne Geddes

Jan 25, 2024, 7:52:09 AMJan 25
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marcus
If you google Dreghorn archaeology you'll find info on a neolithic village site. I'm sure North Ayrshire libraries will have lots of history books etc on the area. Anne Geddes

Bobbie Hall

Jan 26, 2024, 10:51:58 AMJan 26
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marcus,

There are a few resources available online for local Ayrshire History. I have a page on WikiTree with a few ideas if this helps you in your search.

Ayrshire Scotland Resources

And if anyone has other suggestions to add to that page, I'm always listening!

Cheers,
Bobbie

alexandra watson

Jan 26, 2024, 10:52:57 AMJan 26