Looking for historical Ayr-based people and places for project with Ayr Academy

Claire McFall

Nov 1, 2017, 5:38:59 AM11/1/17
to Ayrshire History
Hi all,

I am a writer involved in a project with pupils at Ayr Academy. Myself and two teachers in the English dept. are looking to develop the pupils Gothic/ horror/ atmospheric writing, and to that end we're trying to find local myths and legends to inspire them.

We're hoping to find people and places in Ayr's history (period not important) for them to base short stories around. We are not looking at anything Burns-related. What I'm really looking for are:

  • Historic buildings with legends of hauntings
  • Any locations on the coast directly around Ayr that might have associations with smuggling
  • Historic locations which might have a violent past (e.g. the site of a battle/ siege)
  • Any myths or legends with a horror-slant based in Ayr
  • Any notorious "bad guys" the pupils could find out about.
We're working with just under forty pupils and they'll be assigned a person/ place in groups, so we need about 8 ideas to get us started - but the more the merrier! I'm not from Ayrshire so I'm reliant on trusty Google, but I know there will be things locals know I won't find online! Can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction. We hope to be able to offer ideas that are actually within Ayr Academy's catchment area, so the more local the better!

Thanks,

Claire McFall :)

JOHN COLEMAN

Nov 1, 2017, 7:24:07 AM11/1/17
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Claire McFall your history project.

This place Old Monk Castle has its origins in Kilwinning Abbey the land owners of old.

The ancient woodland is recorded by Pont.It is considered that the building was a retreat for the monks.Became a fortified house after the reformation.
Historically it was lived in until 1831.Is maintained as a B listed ruin by me.

Bessie Dunlop a witch is noted as being here.She was tried in Edinburgh and burnt at the stake in the 17th Century.
There ia also the Black Man's walk,Antonio Escarzio of the 19th Century,buried in Kilwinning cemetary .Slave and servant.

If we can assist we are A J Coleman        May be of interst to any groups.
                                        Old Monk Castle
                                        Dalry Road
                                        Kilwinning
                                        KA13 6PN    tel 01294832300

Campbell Thomas

Nov 1, 2017, 12:43:41 PM11/1/17
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com

Hi Claire,

One of the obvious ones to me is Dunure Castle, right on the coast, close to Ayr and many a legend connected, including the fellow who was roasted over a fire until he signed over property. Or something:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunure_Castle

Dunure Castle is located on the west coast of Scotland, in South Ayrshire, about 5 miles (8.0 km) south of Ayr and close to the village of Dunure.
Good luck,

Campbell

Nov 3, 2017, 5:52:56 AM11/3/17
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Hi Claire

If you don’t know about it already you might be interested in the local wine smuggling trade for your project.

My 4x Great grandfather was a David McClure who along with 7 other colleges was a founder of the wine importing company of Alexander Oliphant  & Co. This was about 250 years ago in Academy Street, Ayr. As well as legitimate trade they were heavily involved with local smuggling bands. French wine was the preferred drink of the upper and professional classes at this time but was very heavily taxed. David and his partners practised the fraud of arranging with their contacts in European ports to have cargoes of French wine disguised as Spanish or Portuguese on which duty was much lower.

The wine business continues to this day and is now owned by Courney & Barrow/ Whigams of Ayr and operates in the same amazing cellars that David McClure and his partners had constructed all those years ago.

Best wishes

Rhona Munro

William Thomson

Nov 3, 2017, 5:54:14 AM11/3/17
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com, belim...@gmail.com

Claire,
          Two things spring to mind,

Oswald's brig at Auchincruive, it is said that a postman committed suicide, he carved his footprints into the soft sandstone before jumping to his death into the river ayr below, the footprints are still to be seen on the parapet of the bridge which gives a tangible angle to this tale.  Although a later copy has also been added as graffiti.

also across from the catholic chapel on annbank road in mossblown a local legend has it that a maid from enterkine house was murdered there.

no idea about dates but these are local verbally handed down stories.

regards,

William

Nov 3, 2017, 5:54:15 AM11/3/17
to Ayrshire History
Hi Claire,

Just down the coast at Ballantrae is Sawney Bean's Cave! Look no further for Horror, Murder, Robbery and Cannibalism!!!  This enduring legend is a pearl :)

Crossraguel Abbey, near Maybole, is reputedly haunted by the ghosts of monks and is an amazingly atmospheric ruin to visit.

For more info on Dunure Castle, as Campbell Thomas has already pointed out, try researching "The Dule Tree of Cassilis (pronounced Castles or Cassles) by William Robertson. Dunure was the seat of the Kennedy family who ruled Carrick - now South Ayrshire from the late 13th century. Google has a free download of this book - https://archive.org/details/duletreecassill00robegoog .

Excellent work, I hope the kids enjoy it :)

Best regards

Mac Coxhead

Linda Scott

Nov 3, 2017, 5:54:32 AM11/3/17
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Attention : Clair McFall,

Dear Claire,

I returned to Stevenston to visit family in 1986.

I was metal detecting in the Portencross area at that time and was told, after I returned to Australia, that there had been a murder of a Mary Gunn about a century or so before. I remember coming across an area that gave me bad vibes!

I couldn't get out there fast enough.  If true, it may be an article to follow in their local library.

I am elderly and disabled now but thought it may be a lead to get you started.

If you have any success I would be delighted to hear about it.

All the best and kind regards,

Linda (Buckingham)

Goombungee, Queensland, Australia

Deborah Rea

Nov 3, 2017, 5:54:50 AM11/3/17
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Ian McDonald is a former history teacher in Stewarton (I think).  He might have knowledge of who to contact in Ayr.  He could probably tell you stories about grave yards in Stewarton.  I don't have his phone number however he does volunteer at the Stewarton Historical Society which is open to the public on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Debbie Rea